Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Dramatika posted:

Should I go back and watch the first three episodes of S1 next, or is it really as bad as it's been made out to be?

After seeing what the show becomes, the first few episodes aren't as bad. For new viewers though it's a tougher watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Community/Arrested Development. Netflix is your friend when binging through new shows.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Within the past two weeks, :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: and I sat through the entirety of Felicity. To my knowledge, I had never watched any complete episodes when it aired, and I expected the worst. She owned the DVDs, and said she was never able to get through Season Four because of some horribly contrived plot twist involving wiccan time travel.

The first three seasons were, as one of my friends opined, "White people making bad decisions." Standard drama fare for late-nineties WB television. Then we got to Season Four, and holy ballsack the conclusion to the show. It was so bad, I destroyed disc 6 with a hammer while she filmed it. (video contains mild spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8dsZaZLxlY

I did a little research to find out the reasons behind WHY the ending was so terrible, but it's hardly an excuse. :argh: JJ ABRAMS! :argh:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I nearly at the end of the second season of Fringe, I've enjoyed it so far, but I could imagine the filler episodes being a bit annoying if I was watching it once a week. As someone said before the main characters are really written, and the interactions between them and their back stories make the show much more enjoyable.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Did a quick catchup on Justified, something I should have never fallen behind on in the first place. After his awesome work on The Shield, Walton Goggins is just continuing to knock it out of the park. He deserves more recognition.

Going to start Mad Men this week.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
I'm burning through the seasons of Trailer Park Boys that are on netflix and I'm loving the ride.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

DarkCrawler posted:

Started watching Parenthood. I think the character interactions are pretty great, but I'm so going to have a drinking game with this - a shot when a character gets teary eyes.

Two shots if it's Lauren Graham, who I'm pretty has cried in every single episode thus far.

I'm watching this right now too, I'm about halfway through the first season. Does this show ever get "awesome" or have any stand out episodes because so far I've just been mildly entertained by most of what I've seen.

The show does also occasionally slip into ultra corny mode, like when everyone is trying to talk to the teenage boy about masturbating in the shower 5 times a day and you just want to throw your remote at the screen to make it stop, but everything else is pretty good so I can tolerate that because Peter Krause owns.

Also the woman who plays the uptight lawyer mom is mostly unbearable.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Brown Moses posted:

I nearly at the end of the second season of Fringe, I've enjoyed it so far, but I could imagine the filler episodes being a bit annoying if I was watching it once a week. As someone said before the main characters are really written, and the interactions between them and their back stories make the show much more enjoyable.

What filler episodes? Almost all of them are connected to the main storyline. I also just started Kings, and I am pissed that I did not watch this when it was originally on.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 18, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

What filler episodes? Almost all of them are connected to the main storyline. I also just started Kings, and I am pissed that I did not watch this when it was originally on.
It's more like a few episodes have stuff that's vaguely related to the main story, and not much character development, but it's only really noticable in the middle of season 2, but I've just started the last 7 or 8 episodes of season 2 and the plot has got really engrossing.

It was rather bizzare seeing a dead character reappear for no reason whatsoever, didn't bother watching the rest of that episode after I read why.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Brown Moses posted:

It's more like a few episodes have stuff that's vaguely related to the main story, and not much character development, but it's only really noticable in the middle of season 2, but I've just started the last 7 or 8 episodes of season 2 and the plot has got really engrossing.

It was rather bizzare seeing a dead character reappear for no reason whatsoever, didn't bother watching the rest of that episode after I read why.

No, you are right about the earlier episodes.

However, the end of Season 2 is about where they really hit their stride in terms of balancing MOTW with mythos/arc within each episode. You're in for a really good stretch that goes well into Season 3.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That's good to hear, from about episode 15 of season 2 it's gone from being very good to great.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
I think I got up to the dude in the bowling alley teaching the main character how to walk or something and it was a neat show, I stopped watching because that main character is such a wooden actress, I couldn't bring myself to give a poo poo about her and her mystery sci-fi themed lifestyle.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

spe posted:

I think I got up to the dude in the bowling alley teaching the main character how to walk or something and it was a neat show, I stopped watching because that main character is such a wooden actress, I couldn't bring myself to give a poo poo about her and her mystery sci-fi themed lifestyle.

Yeah, we all were with you at the start of the show, but Anna Torv's performance became much better and a lot more... versatile. Keep watching, you'll notice when :monocle:

Also John Noble counterbalances pretty much every concern regarding acting chops on this show, so it's all good.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

She certaintly improves as the show goes on, and there's more character development. I'd just stick with it for what happens next, it goes to some really interesting places.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've just finished the first 8 episodes of season 3 of Fringe and they've really been excellent, and it's great the writers use plenty of call backs to previous episodes as it really helps make the whole Fringe universe seem a lot meatier.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I just finished Deadwood within the span of 4 days, even though I had sworn to myself I would not start watching prematurely cancelled/not renewed shows anymore (a vow which I am now renewing, thanks for reminding me, HBO).

Season 3 had me glued to the screen, I pulled an all-nighter to finish it.
Such a shame. All this buildup and virtually no payoff.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Finished season 2 of Brotherhood tonight and I will be starting S3 shortly. This show is pretty awesome. The perfect mix of Sopranos/Wire/West Wing.

The sad thing is that if this show was airing currently it would have a huuuuge following and wouldn't have ended after 3 seasons. I love it :D

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just finished Veronica Mars based on recommendations in this thread, as well as finishing Medium, which I've been watching in the background for a while.

VM: Awesome awesome awesome, all the way through. I was a liker of the tone-shift of S3, it had to happen really, I just wish it hadn't stopped airing there. I'd have loved to see how Veronica's FBI career works out, and with the writers' gift for subverting tropes and avoiding cliche's while using snappy dialogue to make the scenarios we've seen hundreds of times before in other shows seem fresh, they could really have done something good with it.

(spoilered incase anyone else, like me, uses this thread as a recommendation thread)

As for Medium, well, I thought it was overall good with a few great moments, but I'll agree with a previous poster that from time to time it all got a little samey and for that reason will recommend it with the caveat that it's better watched over a longer stretch of time, in-between binges on the better stuff. It could be compared to The BoobGhost Whisperer, which I could only watch a bit of because it was far too sickly-sweet for me; a shame because I really liked the premise. When I heard about Medium, from a 4chan thread of all places, it was described as a darker, more morally ambiguous Ghost Whisperer that I could actually watch without cringing, so I was happy to have found it. I'm genuinely surprised to not be able to find a thread here on it, considering it finished this year.

The best thing about the show is the casting of genuinely likeable, believable characters, even the child actresses. I particularly liked Jake Weber's portrayal of the sceptical engineer and loving husband of the Psychic Detective, never annoyingly outright disbelieving what he sees with his own two eyes Scully-style, but always there as the voice of reason. His on-screen chemistry with Patricia Arquette is genuinely feel-good to watch, and their debates where she is fretting over a dream she just had and he's offering the "rational explanation" are intelligently written. Plus, if you see all 7 seasons through to the end, growing to know and like the characters along the way, you are rewarded with an emotional finale that is in my opinion on a par with 6 Feet Under, with a very bold decision made by the writers and Absolute Closure.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Most recent one I got through was The Unit. I was expecting it to be a bit like The Shield but army based. So was surprised when it turned out more like a procedural. But it's turned out as probably my favorite procedural to date, in that it didn't really feel like one, there wasn't the repetitive formulated and predictability that you get in others like House.

Now I'm on something more light hearted, I just got through the first season of Chuck. Definitely going to carry on to the second.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

For my next something-to-watch I decided to give Smallville a chance, starting right at Season one. So far we've had the electric guy, the bug guy, the fire guy, the shape-shifter and now the ice guy...? I'm enjoying it so far on a popcorn level but please tell me it gets a little less cliche as it progresses.

I think I'll make it my background series and the next weekend I have a chance to binge something I'm going to go with either Fringe, Mad Men, or perhaps...

JVO posted:

Did a quick catchup on Justified, something I should have never fallen behind on in the first place. After his awesome work on The Shield, Walton Goggins is just continuing to knock it out of the park. He deserves more recognition.

...this sounds intriguing. I liked the Shield a lot.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cactus posted:

I'm enjoying it so far on a popcorn level but please tell me it gets a little less cliche as it progresses.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. No, no it does not. Enjoy your visit to the Stride Gum factory.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Cactus posted:

For my next something-to-watch I decided to give Smallville a chance, starting right at Season one. So far we've had the electric guy, the bug guy, the fire guy, the shape-shifter and now the ice guy...? I'm enjoying it so far on a popcorn level but please tell me it gets a little less cliche as it progresses.

Smallville is a strange beast of genre television. In its early days, its a superhero tv show starring the biggest superhero icon yet, its ashamed of drawing on that rich history.
It goes from being a sub-Buffy clone to its own brand of repetittive action-adventure soap and finally mutated in an insane Live Action version of the DC Universe in its later seasons.

You will never see a show two steps from breaking out into awesomeness, yet never going for it like Smallville.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

MeKeV posted:

Most recent one I got through was The Unit. I was expecting it to be a bit like The Shield but army based. So was surprised when it turned out more like a procedural. But it's turned out as probably my favorite procedural to date, in that it didn't really feel like one, there wasn't the repetitive formulated and predictability that you get in others like House.

The Unit is 30 minutes of President Palmer shooting bitches, and 30 minutes of Army Wives that no one could give a poo poo about. Also ninja monks and the spear of destiny at one point.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Ha. Yeah, I'll give you the army wives business, but I liked the rest.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

When does The Office (U.S.) get bad and when does it recover? I'm almost through season 3 and the first half of the season was the funniest thing i've seen since Arrested Development. It's starting to get more serious with the Jim and Pam stuff, and even though I really like their story I'm missing the constant comedy.

Shadowknight
Jan 28, 2011

WE GET IT! YOU REALLY FUCKING HATE GEOFF JOHNS! NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT IN EVERY GODDAMNED POST!

Cactus posted:

Just think of it as "The Luthors", with a large focus on Lex's untrustworthy, secretly powered alien friend, and the show is a lot better.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Actually I just watched the one with the old woman that could see the future of whoever she touches and the ending, where she sees Lex's future, surprised me in a good way.

I was expecting her to draw away from Lex with a dire warning or a "never darken my door again you monster" remark. I never predicted when she said to Clarke "someone very close to you is going to die soon" that she meant it quite so literally.

I'm not sure I want to know what that Stride Gum factory remark is all about. I can stomach some pretty bad television, as long as I've not had my expectations set for it to be terrible. I can usually gloss over the bad because I want to be enjoying what I'm watching.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I just burned through The Middleman for the first time since it was cancelled a few years ago. The dialogue in the first few episodes feels forced, but its still a great show and holds up well.

Kilometers Davis posted:

When does The Office (U.S.) get bad and when does it recover?

It dips in season 4 and becomes unwatchable in season 5. There are a lot of great moments in season 6, but it never really recovers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd argue that season 5 is still awesome, if only for the Michael Scott Paper Company arc, and it's season 6 where it really becomes bad. But yeah, season 4 is definitely where the show's style begins to change/dip, despite some hilarious eps.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I liked season 5 a lot, and season 4 had its moments. (Dinner Party is one of the funniest/most cringeworthy episodes they've ever done.) I stopped watching in 6, though - I think the season 6 wedding makes a good series ender.

And whoever's thinking of watching Justified for Walton Goggins - hell yes, do it. Great show.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Finally got around to watching Lost. Luckily, I paid almost no attention to it when it was airing so I have no idea what will happen. Binged through all of Season 1 in little over one weekend, and a couple of episodes in to season 2. Loving it so far, does the pacing in the first season carry over to the later ones, or does it slow down?I've heard complaints of Lost blueballing with how slow reveals are, but I don't think they've been slow so far.

Also, I love the music in the show. I accidently spoiled a few things for myself when I looked up the soundtrack for season 2 Like that Shannon dies due to a track on the CD being called 'Shannon's funeral'. Guess I only get to listen to soundtracks for a season after I finished it. I wish track titles were more vague.

Now if only netflix would put up The Shield on instant watch I could get around to finishing it, Have the first two seasons on DVD, but too poor to buy any others. And I tend to lose my momentum on show binging if I have to wait for the DVD in the mail.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
When you're watching Lost episodes back to back the pace stays pretty consistent for the first three seaons then gets breakneck for the remaining three.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah Lost was never meant to be watched weekly with year-long gaps in between seasons, I learned that early on and stopped in between S2 and 3 I think. I have only the last season to go now, I'm just waiting on the person that I watch it with to be available.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Just finished all of Justice League and JLU. Pretty unsatisfying last bunch of episodes, but the first 4 seasons are fantastic

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
This very short lived show called Hidden Palms that appeared on The CW when it first launched as a mid season show and was canceled only after eight episodes, even though it had decent ratings and a rather dedicated fanbase. It has a murder mystery plot to it and had a lot of potential to be a big series.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Netflix is great for binging through TV shows. Lets see I have been watching:

-Psych: Love the more humor focused crime shows. Perfect sicne I can't watch any Law and Order anymore and take it seriously. Hoping Netflix puts the 5th season up on Instant stream soon.

-Dexter: I can't say why but I really love this show. I guess its just fun watching someone like Dexter balance a personal life, porfessional life, and killing people. Netflix again though so ive only seen up to season 2. Pick up the goddam pace Netflix! :argh:

-Better Of Ted: God loving Dammit! Why have I never heard of this show and why did it only last two seasons! :argh:

-Arrested Devlopment: Its awesome. Not much else to add

-Code Monkeys: Its alright if you like the gamer humor, but alot of the more stoner type stuff turned me off.

-Monty Python's Flying Circus: Kind of hard to watch on Netflix since a few of the episode's audio is out of sync. But im loving it.

I tried to watch The Office (Both US and UK) but I'm just not a fan of Awkward humor. Kind of the same with Parks and Recreation. A few episodes in you start to feel bad for Leslie Knope rather than simply laughing at her.

I do plan to start Buffy the Vampire slayer though, never paid any attettion to it when it was orignaly on. I also want to find a good Sci-Fi show to watch, any suggestions?

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

So it was just announced that Mad Men would go up on Netflix streaming in July. Of course I just started renting the DVDs and am near the end of season 1 right now and was planning on continuing the binge, but now I think I'd rather use my DVD rentals for something else and wait until July.

So now I need a new show for DVD rentals. Let's try more Aaron Sorkin, I had a love/hate relationship with Studio 60, but that's the lesser of his shows apparently so I'd like to try his other shows. Where should I go next, The West Wing or Sports Night?

On instant I'm probably going to start up on Sons of Anarchy as that just became available.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I do plan to start Buffy the Vampire slayer though, never paid any attettion to it when it was orignaly on. I also want to find a good Sci-Fi show to watch, any suggestions?

Farscape, BSG, V, Firefly.

One of the above is a joke :v:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

BigRed0427 posted:

I tried to watch The Office (Both US and UK) but I'm just not a fan of Awkward humor. Kind of the same with Parks and Recreation. A few episodes in you start to feel bad for Leslie Knope rather than simply laughing at her.

Get past the first season. It's only six episodes. Parks and Rec gets much better in the second season. By the end of that season, you'll want to be Leslie Knope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Cactus posted:

Farscape, BSG, V, Firefly.

One of the above is a joke :v:

Yeah season 3 and 4 sucked but BSG wasn't that bad.