Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Presto posted:

Apparently Ford's solution for the rough shifting is this:

It seems many people think this is BS. v:geno:v

Yeah, this is most likely a band-aid while they're trying to implement a real solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I've been thinking about getting a SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner and a custom tune done for my 2011 Mustang GT. While doing my research into the tuner I noticed it allows you to read and clear DTC codes. This leads me to believe it uses the ODB-II interface and I could possibly use it on another car just for reading and clearing codes. Is this possible? I know its an odd question but I still have an old 2001 taurus and the engine light is on and was going to buy an ODB-II reader specifically for it. Killing two birds with one stone would rock.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Nosthula posted:

I've been thinking about getting a SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner and a custom tune done for my 2011 Mustang GT. While doing my research into the tuner I noticed it allows you to read and clear DTC codes. This leads me to believe it uses the ODB-II interface and I could possibly use it on another car just for reading and clearing codes. Is this possible? I know its an odd question but I still have an old 2001 taurus and the engine light is on and was going to buy an ODB-II reader specifically for it. Killing two birds with one stone would rock.

I know with SCT, it locks your car to the device when you give it a new tune and it unlocks when you put the original tune back.

I am pretty sure you can use the locked device on other cars to read codes. I am not 100% sure you can clear codes (I have never tried)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Nosthula posted:

Yes, you can. You can only use it to change the tune and parameters on one vehicle at a time as it is locked to the ECU code, but you can read and clear DTCs on any OBDII vehicle. I used my XCAL II on both my 2003 Mustang GT and my ex-wife's 2009 Accord.

You can also use it as a datalogger on the vehicle you are using it to tune. It can datalog anything that OBDII can see as well as an additional couple aux inputs for things like wideband O2 sensors and such.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Another double post because that's how I roll.

Terry "Beefcake" Reeves' new engine going in. Just posting this because I'm not sure how many of you have seen how easy an engine is to install when you have a lift as you can go from the bottom as opposed to the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5HGNlHp8N4

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Yes, you can. You can only use it to change the tune and parameters on one vehicle at a time as it is locked to the ECU code, but you can read and clear DTCs on any OBDII vehicle. I used my XCAL II on both my 2003 Mustang GT and my ex-wife's 2009 Accord.

You can also use it as a datalogger on the vehicle you are using it to tune. It can datalog anything that OBDII can see as well as an additional couple aux inputs for things like wideband O2 sensors and such.

Awesome, thanks frozenphil! I called American Muscle asking them about it yesterday and the guy virtually laughed at me for asking the question and said no way. I thought he was confusing my question and thinking I wanted to use it to flash my taurus as well as my mustang when in reality I just want to read the DTC codes on my taurus. Glad I decided to ask here. This just might put me over the edge on buying the tuner and a custom tune.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Terry "Beefcake" Reeves' new engine going in. Just posting this because I'm not sure how many of you have seen how easy an engine is to install when you have a lift as you can go from the bottom as opposed to the top.

Sounds like Deliverance.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Saw a new 5.0 yesterday, passed me at part throttle and it sounded awesome. If I were looking at new cars, it'd definitely be near the top of my list.

frozenphil posted:

It's cute when children make buttsex jokes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah it's only a rumour, but the GT500 getting pushed to 600hp would be a decent indicator of an Ecoboost 'Stang, would it not?

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

sliderule posted:

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a tuner near Toronto that can fix the lovely stock tuning of my auto?

DaSilva racing is pretty much the go-to shop for most people in and around TO - they are just east in Pickering... corrected.
Joe Dasilva is pretty well known on the drag circuit and knows our cars really really well... thats all he does. I am getting an Eibach Pro kit and some GT500 mufflers put on by him in about a week, as a matter of fact. It shames me that I am not doing it myself, but I just moved and my shop is not set up yet.... also I hate doing springs :)

http://mustangtoystore.com/ws/

AtomicBomber fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 17, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

AtomicBomber posted:

DaSilva racing is pretty much the go-to shop for most people in and around TO - they are just east in Whitby.
Joe Dasilva is pretty well known on the drag circuit and knows our cars really really well... thats all he does. I am getting an Eibach Pro kit and some GT500 mufflers put on by him in about a week, as a matter of fact. It shames me that I am not doing it myself, but I just moved and my shop is not set up yet.... also I hate doing springs :)

http://mustangtoystore.com/ws/

Oh poo poo, I didn't know Joe was up there. Joe's an awesome dude who will treat you right.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Those of you with the new MT82 manual transmission experiencing cold shifting issues, Ford just released a TSB for it; TSB 11-3-18.
Apparently the fix is replacing the factory synthetic transmission fluid with dual clutch transmission fluid.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yeah it's only a rumour, but the GT500 getting pushed to 600hp would be a decent indicator of an Ecoboost 'Stang, would it not?

While everything is based on rumor at this point, I was under the impression that the power bump was due to a 0.4L bump in displacement and the addition of an Eaton TVS supercharger in place of the existing M112 unit. Although on second read you weren't necessarily implying that the GT500 would be the Ecoboosted pony.

Regardless, a gap of close to 200hp provides a lot of space for another model, and it makes sense to incorporate an Ecoboost engine into the Mustang lineup (and didn't Ford pretty much confirm that an Ecoboost engine would soon be offered in every Ford model, including the Mustang?). The question is; will the engine be the 3.5L V6 or will it be a new engine design (perhaps the rumored "Road Runner" finally be making an appearance)?

And on an unrelated note: I'm suffering from a terrible identity crisis as I have always considered myself a die-hard GM man but find myself wanting one of the new 5.0s a hell of a lot more than the bloated monstrosity that is the new Camaro.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Hmmm...I wonder how Ford plans on getting 5.8L out of the 5.0 Coyote engine?

Sometimes I love being right so much. :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

frozenphil posted:

Those of you with the new MT82 manual transmission experiencing cold shifting issues, Ford just released a TSB for it; TSB 11-3-18.
Apparently the fix is replacing the factory synthetic transmission fluid with dual clutch transmission fluid.
Yeah, post last page

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

You Am I posted:

Yeah, post last page

It didn't have the TSB number and it also said that it wasn't the fluid they were changing but the clutch assembly. :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

It didn't have the TSB number and it also said that it wasn't the fluid they were changing but the clutch assembly. :colbert:

Someone actually outdragged you to it, phil:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=389367278#post389289443

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=389367278#post389289443

Fine, still no TSB number though. :colbert:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

They posted it manually while phil's auto was deciding which TSB number to stick with :smug:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Broken Record Talk posted:

Although on second read you weren't necessarily implying that the GT500 would be the Ecoboosted pony.

Yeah, I meant the Ecoboost going into a GT-level model, not the GT500.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Any info on whether or not the clutch assembly is what actually should be replaced, and Ford is just cheaping out and doing the fluid as a temporary fix? I guess it would depend on how long doing the fluid change actually holds off any problems.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Hmmm...I wonder how Ford plans on getting 5.8L out of the 5.0 Coyote engine?

Sometimes I love being right so much. :)

It seems that the rumor so far is that it's just a 5.8L mod engine.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...more-power.html

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

OrganizedEntropy posted:

It seems that the rumor so far is that it's just a 5.8L mod engine.

Guess what Coyote is...

There are significant differences, but it uses the same tooling as the 4.6 mod motor. 5.8 just so happens to be the displacement you'd get if you did a Coyote off the tall-deck 5.4 mod motor.

Also, I seem to recall frozenphil swearing up and down it'd be 6.2 based.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yeah, I meant the Ecoboost going into a GT-level model, not the GT500.

Cost-wise, which motor costs more, the Ecoboost V6, or the Coyote?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

kimbo305 posted:

Cost-wise, which motor costs more, the Ecoboost V6, or the Coyote?

The ecoboost on the F-150 costs a few grand more than the 5.0 option.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ssssss, this is gonna cause the same problem as the original SVO -- it costs more to make but you don't want to step on the GT's toes.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Q_res posted:

Guess what Coyote is...

There are significant differences, but it uses the same tooling as the 4.6 mod motor. 5.8 just so happens to be the displacement you'd get if you did a Coyote off the tall-deck 5.4 mod motor.

Ahh, gotcha. I thought they were simply boring out the current 5.4L block and leaving it at that based on the comments in the Car and Driver link. I didn't realize it was going to be a stroker.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it'll definitely be a tall-deck Coyote. It could be a simple bore and stroke of the 5.4, it could be BOSS-based, there was a planned 5.8L version of the 6.2. I'm not convinced anyone outside Ford actually knows for sure what the 5.8 really is yet.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

kimbo305 posted:

ssssss, this is gonna cause the same problem as the original SVO -- it costs more to make but you don't want to step on the GT's toes.

In the case of the F-150, the ecoboost puts out a slightly more HP and lot more torque than the 5.0 and gets slightly better fuel mileage. Nearly as much torque as the 6.2l option. If tuned for a mustang application, it should outperform the 5.0 in virtually every respect except maybe exhaust note.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
drat, that new GT500 had better come with some seriously wide tires if it has any hopes of putting that power down.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Killbot posted:

drat, that new GT500 had better come with some seriously wide tires if it has any hopes of putting that power down.

The ZR1 Corvette is completely well mannered and it's a much lighter car. Tuning, electronic throttle, and computer nannies make it a ton easier to be civil with big numbers these days. Not to even start with how sticky the street tires you can be these days are.

Before I bought my current Mustang I was afraid of it because I figured that much horsepower meant the back walking out all over the place and having to drive nervously every time the weather got bad but as long as I never disable traction control completely it's never a problem. I was showing a buddy from back home my new car about 2 weeks ago and I accidentally accelerated way too fast out of a toll road late and night and hit what was probably some oil, the back kicked 2 or 3 feet out but the car was straight before I could even fix it myself. If that were my old Camaro it would've been a lot more "fun".

Big power in modern cars is easy as long as you're willing to pay for gas.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think this applies to this thread:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8012391

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I think this applies to this thread:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8012391

I looked at the pics then read the article fully expecting the driver to be dead.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

Yeah, I seriously doubt Ford does a sleeved and stroked 5.0 for the GT500. I'm still putting my money on a supercharged 6.2 being between the frame rails*.

*Someone has already put a TVS style supercharger on one, and the pics that got posted looked strangely like the SVT engine assembly line ;) He has since taken the pics down, wonder why?

Q_res posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it'll definitely be a tall-deck Coyote. It could be a simple bore and stroke of the 5.4, it could be BOSS-based, there was a planned 5.8L version of the 6.2. I'm not convinced anyone outside Ford actually knows for sure what the 5.8 really is yet.

The 5.4 is dead. The only vehicle still using it is the GT500. You're going to see the 5.0 Coyote, something based off of the 5.0 Coyote, the 6.2, or something based off of the 6.2 between the GT500's frame rails.

The link I posted showed that it's possible to stroke the Coyote to 5.8 if you sleeve the block, but I don't see Ford actually going that route due to cost. I'd be surprised if they did anything other than something 6.2 based, really. The GT500 kinda loses its cache if it just uses the same engine as the GT, even if they do end up hanging turbos off of it.

Thinking about it though, I could see the reasoning for doing a direct injection, twin turbo 5.0 in the GT500. Change the selling point from "hurr big engine" to "look at all this technology!". It didn't work so well for the SVO back in the day, but maybe the buying public is ready for it now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

In the case of the F-150, the ecoboost puts out a slightly more HP and lot more torque than the 5.0 and gets slightly better fuel mileage. Nearly as much torque as the 6.2l option. If tuned for a mustang application, it should outperform the 5.0 in virtually every respect except maybe exhaust note.

I have no doubts that a stock-tune Ecoboost V6 could make better numbers than the 5.0 while still having sellable fuel economy. I just question if people would buy that. Inevitably, it would be a "for $X more, you can get a GT500" situation. So either it would have to be the GT500 (unlikely that they'd want to crank the power up that high) or be roughly the same price as the GT, which might rob GT sales and get them less margin.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I have no doubts that a stock-tune Ecoboost V6 could make better numbers than the 5.0 while still having sellable fuel economy. I just question if people would buy that. Inevitably, it would be a "for $X more, you can get a GT500" situation. So either it would have to be the GT500 (unlikely that they'd want to crank the power up that high) or be roughly the same price as the GT, which might rob GT sales and get them less margin.

I see no reason why they couldn't sell an ecoboosted V6 that makes more than 412 horsepower, say 450 and sell it at a premium. There's no reason to believe it'll be slotted in between the pony package and the GT because they're making it a premium option on their trucks already. They ecoboosted F150 costs more than the V8 because of fuel savings.

Better fuel economy and more performance. All the go of the GT but higher tech and better fuel economy and sell it at 40k MSRP and move it up market. Who wouldn't want a more refined mustang twin turbo V6 and 30+ MPG?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kronix posted:

Better fuel economy and more performance. All the go of the GT but higher tech and better fuel economy and sell it at 40k MSRP and move it up market. Who wouldn't want a more refined mustang twin turbo V6 and 30+ MPG?

Mustang owners who want their V8 (the SVO was not exactly a hot seller in its day).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kronix posted:

There's no reason to believe it'll be slotted in between the pony package and the GT because they're making it a premium option on their trucks already. They ecoboosted F150 costs more than the V8 because of fuel savings.

A truck has way different reasons for being than a Mustang. An Ecoboost V6 is a good play for a work truck. I know there's plenty of people out there who buy trucks as their fun daily drivers, and I bet they would still want the big V8.
I'd say a similar sentiment still holds sway over the bulk of Mustang enthusiasts.

There was nothing wrong with the original SVO compared to its contemporary GT, and it way undersold Ford's targets.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mustang owners who want their V8 (the SVO was not exactly a hot seller in its day).

Yeah but if you check earlier in the thread, when I bought my GT I got some interesting insight from the sales guys. Ford had clearly done a lot of research saying the under 25 demographic was fiercely against owning a V8 and the 30+ demographic was fiercely against owning a V6 and the sales guys told me it was interesting because the numbers were so highly polarized. It looks as though Ford knows V8s are viewed as stone age technology these days but those drat kids and you bet that Ford isn't just looking at market research and just sitting around ignoring it.

At some point, when gas gets even more expensive, the V8 won't be able to compete. It's one of the reasons the RX-8 is on it's way out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kronix posted:

At some point, when gas gets even more expensive, the V8 won't be able to compete. It's one of the reasons the RX-8 is on it's way out the door.

Fair enough, but the RX8 is out the door because its fuel consumption is so atrocious that it can't meet modern emission standards. On top of that low-for-a-V8 fuel economy, it doesn't even make enough power to keep up with Mazda's own turbo four cylinder, which also gets better mileage and has better reliability (sorry RADL). There's nothing more Mazda can really do to the 13B to make more power naturally aspirated and still stay emissions compliant, and we all know how well turbo rotaries do in daily life.

With a tuned-up Ecoboost V6 versus a Coyote V8, I really doubt we're going to see the V6 post both higher fuel economy and higher power levels than the V8. The Coyote is at a point in its lifespan where Ford can bump power levels at almost no increase in production cost, much like GM did with the LS2 to the LS3 (+30hp, no difference in cost to build).

There's also the fact that of the under-25 demographic, while a lot of them may be all for buying a turbo V6 Mustang...how many of them can afford to? I don't see how Ford could possibly make the turbo V6 cheaper than the GT; I could see it slotting in somewhere between the GT and the Boss, but that's not going to be a price point you see many 20-25 year olds buying new.