Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat, I've been strapped for cash for the last few months and have been forced to curtail my DVD buying, but a Criterion release of The Killing might just be enough for me to jump back in. I just saw it for the first time recently and absolutely loved it. Kubrick is so consistently good it's almost scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

gently caress. I just watched the Saura Flamenco Trilogy (from the library) and really liked it... but it's OOP and going for $150. So much for my hopes of snagging it at the next B&N sale. :(

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

FitFortDanga posted:

gently caress. I just watched the Saura Flamenco Trilogy (from the library) and really liked it... but it's OOP and going for $150. So much for my hopes of snagging it at the next B&N sale. :(

I feel your pain. I watched The Third Man for the first time about a week or two after the Criterion went OOP. I regret the timing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The print of City Lights on Hulu has a credit added for Carl Davis, so his re-recording of the score should be on the eventual Blu/DVD edition.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Posted on Facebook:

Jalsaghar! The Ray floodgates are finally opening! My heart is filled with joy!

edit: having second thoughts about it being Jalsaghar... doing a quick scan of my cheapo DVD...

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 30, 2011

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
Aw you got me super excited FFD :mad:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Okay, I'm more certain now. I haven't seen that EXACT frame yet, but there is a definitely a piece of architecture that looks exactly like that. YAY!

edit: my write-up on Jalsaghar from the Ray megathread is here.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 30, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I watched Network on a whim today on Netflix and holy poo poo, what an amazing movie. I cannot wait to pick it up on bluray.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

One of my favorite Criterion releases.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You confusing that with Broadcast News?

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Looking through the Letters from Fontainhas extras:

Criterion posted:

- New video essay by artist Jeff Wall on Ossos

Whoooaaa. Bumping that up to #1 in the Netflix queue. Further research reveals its mainly visual analysis, I wonder if I can will more Wall film analysis into existence.

Also, right on, Ray.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Fag Boy Jim posted:

You confusing that with Broadcast News?

No, I confused this thread with the general bluray thread :sweatdrop:

e: Broadcast News is really awesome as well, I should get that too.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 30, 2011

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The "Broadcast News" release is indeed a hell of a lot of fun, especially since they found the legendary, long-rumored alternate ending on it, and there's a nice documentary on James L. Brooks.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay, I'm more certain now. I haven't seen that EXACT frame yet, but there is a definitely a piece of architecture that looks exactly like that. YAY!

edit: my write-up on Jalsaghar from the Ray megathread is here.

Here's hoping for the Apu trilogy, so glad I held off on importing.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

zandert33 posted:

Here's hoping for the Apu trilogy, so glad I held off on importing.

Funny story. I found Sony's DVD of "Pather Panchali" at a local video game store that was going out of business. Got it for $12. Awesome movie, but I too have held off importing any more Ray stuff.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I own the region 2 DVDs of Charulata, Mahanager and Nayak from Artificial Eye and am very happy with the picture and subtitle quality. But I would gladly double dip for Criterions, especially blu-rays. Hope this turns out to be true.

What's been the hold up anyway on Criterion releasing Ray's stuff? Seems right up their alley.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
If anyone looks at the Criterion Facebook page, they just posted a video of Kent Jones talking about a new release. Call me optimistic, but it sure sounds like Blue Velvet.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

If anyone looks at the Criterion Facebook page, they just posted a video of Kent Jones talking about a new release. Call me optimistic, but it sure sounds like Blue Velvet.

Nope, it's C.H.U.D.

April's fool. Audio commentary by Pedro Costa, good choice.

bmmello fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 1, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

C.H.U.D. already has an amazing commentary. I would never watch the movie again, but I'd listen to that commentary again just to hear Daniel Stern act like a total goofball.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Well they did just find the long-missing, much-longer workprint... and MGM/Fox seems to have cancelled their planned BD release, so maybe...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

From a poster at cf.org (so take with a grain of salt if you want), some upcoming confirmations/denials of films in the Criterion pipeline:

Pina - yes
Certified Copy - not at this time
Gates of Heaven - yes
Vernon, Florida - yes
The Thin Blue Line - yes
Tabloid - possibly
Tiny Furniture - yes
Cave of Forgotten Dreams - probably not

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Gates of Heaven - yes
Vernon, Florida - yes
The Thin Blue Line - yes

I'm guessing this'll be a box set, but I wonder what they could include to entice people who already own the MGM releases.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Tiny Furniture - yes

I thought this was supposed to be terrible?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

penismightier posted:

I thought this was supposed to be terrible?

Yeah I'm quite surprised about that one as well. It's really bad. Figured IFC would put it out, since it's theirs.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
It got a ton of press when it came out though. Plus Criterion hasn't put out a mumblecore movie yet that I can think of, so it was really just a matter of time before some movie in its style got a release.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

Gates of Heaven - yes
Vernon, Florida - yes
The Thin Blue Line - yes
So Criterion has released films from Allan King, Maysles, and now Morris. How long before we see Criterion/Eclipse releases of some Wiseman?

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

Criterion's most recent facebook update suggests that they are releasing C.H.U.D. after all...

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I was mostly certain they would release Certified Copy, as it is Kiarostami and IFC. And the film is quite brilliant. Does that mean I'll need to pick the UK release? I did this with White Material and had to double -dip.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space Cooter posted:

Criterion's most recent facebook update suggests that they are releasing C.H.U.D. after all...

I think it's just a continuation of the joke.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Or is it... the ultimate joke? Will FFD be eating crow come April 15th? Stay tuned to find out.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm guessing this'll be a box set, but I wonder what they could include to entice people who already own the MGM releases.
As an owner of the MGM box set and Errol Morris lover, they could do anything. Between the three films there is only one special feature and it's an episode of his series First Person.

As far as special features go that's not an especially bad one, but it's light to the point of non-existent. I'd love to see what Criterion could dig up for Gates of Heaven.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

I'd love to see what Criterion could dig up for Gates of Heaven.

Eww...

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Amazon.com has The Makioka Sisters up for pre-order on dvd for 13.99, and 19.99 for the blu-ray.

I think that's the cheapest I've seen a Criterion DVD that wasn't on sale..

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Amazon.com has The Makioka Sisters up for pre-order on dvd for 13.99, and 19.99 for the blu-ray.

I think that's the cheapest I've seen a Criterion DVD that wasn't on sale..

It has no extras and has a corresponding SRP lower than normal Criterion releases.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I hope 'Gates of Heaven' includes 'Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe.'

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Archyduke posted:

I hope 'Gates of Heaven' includes 'Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe.'

It's on Criterion's Burden of Dreams release.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
I'm looking forward to the packaging on "Gates of Heaven." I'm picturing little coffins for cases.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

Maybe they'll become so dedicated to the joke that they'll actually release it. That MUST have been what happened with Armageddon... right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

caiman posted:

Maybe they'll become so dedicated to the joke that they'll actually release it. That MUST have been what happened with Armageddon... right?

Not this again.

For the 600th time, Armageddon was done when Disney was generally not doing much on DVD other than slapping a 4x3 letterbox master on a DVD and adding the trailer as an extra. Criterion was including commentaries and extras from day one in the laserdisc era.

Disney would never license a film like Armageddon again now that it's normal for a major studio to go all out on even the minor releases. The major studio releases now are mostly due to exchanging supplements for video rights, favors, or the studio isn't that big into certain films. Universal could have easily made Make Way for Tomorrow one of their Cinema Classics releases, but Criterion's branding would give it far more exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Not this again.

For the 600th time...

I was joking.

Sorry to be a nuisance.