Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Where does one start with Glenn Branca?

Huh, I just noticed he had a record on Les Disques Du Crépuscule. They just pop up everywhere in my life these days (just bought an Antena reissue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Gogey posted:

Where should I start with Thrice, anyone?
What made you want to find out? If you've heard one song, get the album it's on. Thrice has changed so much, and the band they are now doesn't have much to do with the things before Vheissu. I listened to those in high school and don't so much anymore, but I don't think they should be disregarded, Illusion of Safety was one of the coolest things I'd ever heard at the time and I never got into Vheissu or anything past that.

So what I mean is: if you heard early Thrice, get Early Thrice (possible just Illusion of Safety), if you heard later Thrice, follow the advice of the other guy that responded

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Farts Domino posted:

So what I mean is: if you heard early Thrice, get Early Thrice (possible just Illusion of Safety), if you heard later Thrice, follow the advice of the other guy that responded

Couldn't agree more. I discovered Thrice with Vheissu (randomly bought it at Target one day) and absolutely fell in love with it. Then I worked my way backwards and while I liked early Thrice, I'm much more of a fan of the newer stuff.

They kill it live. See them if you can!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Meshuggah?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

thepopstalinist posted:

Where does one start with Glenn Branca?

Lesson No. 1, then The Ascension.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Thanks!

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Meshuggah?

Destroy, Erase, Improve.

From there check out Chaosphere and Obzen and you will get an idea of their progression. I personally think Catch-33 sucks.

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010

the Bunt posted:

Meshuggah?

Catch 33 is not their best, but will give you a good overview of what they sound like. Nothing and I EP are their best in my opinion, although that is partially just because I prefer that sound/style. Destroy Erase Improve is the album that created the whole sub-subgenre that is djent, so there's that.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
How about Jedi Mind Tricks?

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Where do I start with Godflesh?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Maha posted:

Streetcleaner.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Where do I start with Samael? I've heard the name plenty of times, but I've never really heard their music before until stumbling into the track Slavocracy on YouTube and digging the poo poo out the singer's voice and the overall sound the track has. I'm more into electronic stuff than metal, maybe someone can recommend me an album from their discography?

I'm not really a fan, but most of what I like from Samael comes from Reign of Light. Then try Eternal. The first 3 albums are more metal, and I didn't heard the last one.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Where do I start with Erica Badu? I remember liking "Tyrone" and "Southern Girl" back in the day, and she was one of the few graces in the Blues Brothers 2000 movie. Start early and work forward? Anything to skip?

And while we're on the ladies with strong pipes, a while back I asked about Cyndi Lauper and no one had any opinions. So if anyone's got any recommendations this time not involving girls just wanting to have some sort of fun, that would be nice.

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Where do I start with Erica Badu? I remember liking "Tyrone" and "Southern Girl" back in the day, and she was one of the few graces in the Blues Brothers 2000 movie. Start early and work forward? Anything to skip?

I would suggest starting with Baduizm and then going forward chronologically, none of the five studio albums are bad. I don't know about live albums or EPs.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ThaGhettoJew posted:

And while we're on the ladies with strong pipes, a while back I asked about Cyndi Lauper and no one had any opinions. So if anyone's got any recommendations this time not involving girls just wanting to have some sort of fun, that would be nice.

For Badu, I really loved Mama's Gun; Baduizm is also really good, and would be a decent starting point.

I'm not huge into Lauper, but She's So Unusual seems like a good starting point since it had a bunch of her hits on it, and it's a solid record overall.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Thank you, you two. I can now better plan my used-CD questing.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Where do I start with EPMD?

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011

Gaggins posted:

Where do I start with EPMD?

I would recommend starting with their first album, Strictly Business, which is also their best IMO, and then Unfinished Business, their second album, which is also their second best.
Apart from those, Business Never Usual is pretty good as well.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Maha posted:

Songs of Love and Hate is much easier to get into than Streetcleaner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWaRFTEregU

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Jandek, anyone? I have no clue where to start, how his poo poo differs from his other poo poo etc.

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Jandek, anyone? I have no clue where to start, how his poo poo differs from his other poo poo etc.

Glasgow Sunday may be a good starting point. It's his first live appearance, from 2005.
If you like that one, New Town, Interstellar Discussion and Ready for the House (his debut, 1978) may be adequate as well.

E: Also, where does one start with Riot Grrrl, the genre? I have already heard some Bikini Kill, Hole, Sleater-Kinney and Babes in Toyland, but I would like to dig deeper.

Clovis Sangrail fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 19, 2011

Gjerk
Feb 17, 2011
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers have a fairly lengthy discography. Where shall I start?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Prince has a fairly lengthy discography. Where should I start, especially if I want music that sound like this?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Madlib is prolific to say the least. I dig Madvillainy, where next?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

CorkyPorky posted:

I'd say Vheissu. It's their best album, in my opinion, and it's really the point in their career when they started experimenting with their music. Their earlier stuff (Identity Crisis, The Illusion of Safety, The Artist in the Ambulance) is decent, but you might find the songs to be too samey. I would work my way from Vheissu onwards, and if you like what you've heard, come back to the earlier stuff.

I've seen some people who didn't really like the direction they took starting with Vheissu. The Alchemy Index has 4 volumes and they're alright, they have some really good songs (Like Daedalus). Their newest album Beggars I thought was decent, but I didn't listen to it extensively. And according to their Wikipedia article they're releasing a new album later on this year, so neat!

Hope this helps!

I was going to say The Artist in the Ambulance, mainly because it's was their mainstream debut and had three of their biggests hits on, All That's Left, The Artist in the Ambulance, and Stare at the Sun. Vheissu is a great album, but isn't really a good starting point, mainly because it's a very big depature that the band took from their post-hardcore sound. After Artist, I strongly suggest that you listen to the Alchemy Index. All three of the albums are great and show the progression of the band, which does show up on Vheissu, but is showcased better.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Where do I start with Jucifer?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Polegrinder posted:

Where do I start with Jucifer?

L'Autrichienne is pretty awesome, but I don't know the rest of their discography well enough to say that it's the right starting point.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

ultrafilter posted:

L'Autrichienne is pretty awesome, but I don't know the rest of their discography well enough to say that it's the right starting point.

Thanks for this. I'm listening to it now and so far I like it.

EDIT - Well not every song, I find myself skipping every other track.

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 30, 2011

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'
Where do I start with Gang Gang Dance?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Wheelchair Zombie posted:

Where do I start with Gang Gang Dance?
Saint Dymphna for sure. If you like that then check out God's Money and just go backwards from there. That should prepare you for the release of Eye Contact, which should be epic.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Where do I start with Low?

Also, Idaho?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

moss piglet posted:

Where do I start with Low?

the first three albums are all solid gold so that's a good place. there's brilliant songs on all of their albums though, so you can't really go wrong

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts

Iraff posted:

the first three albums are all solid gold so that's a good place. there's brilliant songs on all of their albums though, so you can't really go wrong

I would actually advise against starting with The Great Destroyer or Drums and Guns because they're a fair distance away from the "slowcore" sound that the band's had for the majority of their career.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
MADLIB, damnit!

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010

Rubber Biscuit posted:

MADLIB, damnit!

I only just got into him myself, I recommend Champion Sound, a collaboration album with him and J Dilla. I think they go under the pseudonym Jaylib.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzRSCRZweY

Edit: And if you enjoy that type of production I think you'd like Chrome Children. It includes some songs by him and other similar artists on the same label. It was created for those Adult Swim bumps I think. Here's one of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd1m3Zai97A

msinclair fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 3, 2011

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
bleh

take the moon fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 23, 2012

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Iraff posted:

Holy poo poo, I Could Live in Hope is beyond amazing. I hope the other two are as good

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

MiracleWhipHipster posted:

Where do I start with Teenage Fanclub?

Bandwagonesque and Thirteen.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
bleh

take the moon fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
^ I would say Grand Prix by a long shot. All of those albums are good though, despite their awful, awful, album covers. I always wonder who decided that those images were THE ONES.