Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Fooz posted:

I ctrl-f-ed all over this thread and couldn't find it so I'm gonna give a hearty, hearty reccomandation of Gasland. It's everything a good documentary should be, heart-wrenching, outrageous, urgent (especially if you live on the east coast), personal and widespread.

Is this the right thing?

http://video.pbs.org/video/1452296560/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The Scientist posted:

Is this the right thing?

http://video.pbs.org/video/1452296560/

This is an interview with the filmmaker, but not the film itself. But yea, it is referring to the right movie.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I checked back a few pages and didn't see it. Werner Herzog's documentary about Antarctica, Encounters at the End of the World, is on Netflix streaming and it's pretty fantastic. Antarctica is beautiful and strange and the oddball bunch of folks who live and work there are almost as batshit insane as ol' Werner himself. His documentaries are always worth a look and this is one of his most accessible.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqy6717el78&feature=player_embedded

Just finished blind spot, about oil and the environment. Really solid. Maybe not as entertaining as An Inconvenient Truth, but very educational.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lone Rogue posted:

It's the most important programming that CBC creates, but if you ask most Canadians, that would be Hockey Night in Canada.

The episode I am specifically thinking of is the episode about the guy who murdered and cannibalized a guy on a Greyhound bus. I can only imagine how hysterical, say, Dateline or 60 Minutes would be about that situation. I was shocked at how grown-up it seemed.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh
The Other Side of Immigration

quote:

Contemporary immigration issues between the United States and Mexico receive careful study in this documentary, which uses extensive interviews to outline the experiences and perspectives of ordinary citizens from both sides of the border. In examining the economic factors prompting Mexicans to seek work in the United States and the social pressures that result, the film presents an affecting look at a complex political and moral issue.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Other_Side_of_Immigration/70153414

Found this to be a very interesting perspective on the immigration debate, it focuses a lot on rural Mexico and the factors that drive labor migration. It's quite amazing how difficult the life of a migrant is.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Is there a good documentary on Germany after World War 2?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Overdose: The next financial crisis
http://documentaryheaven.com/overdose-the-next-financial-crisis/

quote:

In times of crisis people seek strong leaders and simple solutions. But what happens when their solutions are identical to the mistakes that caused the very crisis? ‘Overdose’ is the story of the greatest economic crisis of our age, the one that awaits us. The documentary traces the origins of the financial crisis and explores the eerie similarities with today’s situation, where states like Greece, Iceland and even the U.S. seems to be in danger of collapsing.

Among those interviewed are experts who were mocked when they predicted the current crisis. Other interviewees include Nobel laureate Vernon Smith and former US Comptroller General David Walker (I.O.U.S.A). The film is shot in the U.S., Sweden and Germany and makes extensive use of music, archive footage and graphics.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

http://documentaryheaven.com/friends-of-god/
Friends of God
HBO documentary that goes into the Evangelical Christian world.
Ted Haggard is seen talking about the awesome sex life of evangelical Christians with their wives (citing that "all surveys prove..."); he forgot to mention the shemale crackwhore he was loving on the side.
Also, you get to see some neat pictures of Dinosaurs with yokes, since they co-existed with humans.
It's sad to see that most of these people are actually well-meaning (except for assholes like Haggard) but are completely brainwashed (some, obviously, are just retards, who justify teaching the Bible, as opposed to Evolution, because "it's easier to explain it to kids").
To see them teach the motto "God Said it, I believe it, That settles it" to little kids is truly disturbing; they're basically telling these kids to be absolute idiots (who'll probably grow up to watch Fox News)

This and Jesus Camp are really hard to watch since they raise my BP. :mad:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Lifting The Veil
Link: http://metanoia-films.org/compilations.php
Runtime: 1h, 53m

Film about what I would call the fascist corpratocracy that has overtaken America (although they don't call it that). This film is a left-wing take on the expansion of war, corporate influence, the dissolution of civil liberties and generally how we're all hosed. It's primarily an anti-Obama documentary. It does a good job of reminding people how he has failed in many of his campaign promises and has watered down the rest.

There is some discussion about how the two parties are actually one corporate elitist party with two heads. They say the Democrats are marginally better, but (channeling their inner Michael Moore campaigning for Ralph Nader in 2000) they say when you vote for the lesser evil, you still get evil. They make some other platitudes about how the Dems have no spine, usual grass roots talking point stuff. Personally, as a non-ideological person, I found this approach to be shallow and telling about their world view; you may disagree.

Overall, the film could certainly use a bit more in the way of details. For example: what about Cap and Trade? They seem to be for it and criticize Obama for not getting it done, but do they know that 1) it will have no effect on the environment and that 2) it's primarily supported by wealthy bankers who want to trade carbon credits at the expense of increased energy prices on everyday citizens?! Of course not, because their analysis is shallow.

The film has original interviews with figures like Noam Chomsky. It also uses a lot of recycled footage from Democracy Now, The Real News and the sometimes useful Kremlin controlled propaganda outfit Russia Today (RT). There are few or no conservative perspectives presented. The soundtrack includes Pink Floyd's Money and songs by Rage Against the Machine.

I haven't watched the last 20 minutes or so of it, but I plan on doing so later today. I know I just wrote a fairly scathing review of it, but I do think it's worth recommending for those capable of separating opinion from fact.

quote:

The American Dream Movie

Yeah, it goes a bit too far at some points (Executive Order 11110), but overall I found it to be fairly accurate. The heart of the film is certainly in the right place. It's pretty entertaining.

EDIT:
Two more...
Waco: The Rules of Engagement (1997)
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-M60q2gOUE Also available on Netflix (not streaming).
Runtime:2h 13m

Pretty straight forward documentary about Waco. Very methodical and very boring, therefore by law of documentary filmmaking, it must all be true. There is a sequel to this, but I haven't seen it yet.

---------

Mena Cover Up
Link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7349140906801270904#
Runtime:56m

The most boring documentary ever. Do not watch if suicidal. You won't survive it. It's about how when Bill Clinton was Governor of Arkansas, he helped the CIA import/export drugs and unmarked weapons as part of the Iran/Contra affair during the 1980s. What, you thought people who called him the most corrupt president in modern history were just talking about dick sucking? There are other documentaries on this subject on Google video as well, but I haven't seen them. They couldn't possibly be more boring than this though.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 18, 2011

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
To any fans of Harlan Ellison with an extra :10bux: laying around, I would highly recommend Dreams With Sharp Teeth. You can download it from the iTunes store. If you're unfamiliar with the man, he is without question THE grumpiest person to ever walk the earth. Oh yeah, and he writes some pretty amazing books too.

I wouldn't dare pirate it. I'm sincerely afraid of what he might do to me if he ever found out.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

StickySweater posted:

It's about how when Bill Clinton was Govenor of Arizona
Are you sure about that?

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
^ Yup, I'm an idiot. I'll fix it.
EDIT: Done.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
Are there any good documentaries about the waste collection system and just the problems with dealing with the sheer amount of human trash?

iqarus
Mar 31, 2008
is there any documentaries out there similar to the iceman confessions, one on one interview/biography type deals

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

iqarus posted:

is there any documentaries out there similar to the iceman confessions, one on one interview/biography type deals

Oh yeah, I just found a treasure trove of good one on one stories. Look for Erol Morris' First Person--it's a TV series where Morris interviews people, but instead of being in front of a camera the people are in front of a set of mirrors that make them think they're talking directly to Morris.

For example here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbLhBISXbVA

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

kittiesgomeow posted:

Are there any good documentaries about the waste collection system and just the problems with dealing with the sheer amount of human trash?

There's a series on the History Channel called "Trashopolis" that delves into this very issue for different cities around the globe. Its quite interesting.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

iqarus posted:

Did you already watch both iceman specials? Did you see the msnbc special where a young Stone Phillips interviews Charlie Manson? Believe it or not, that puts the iceman to shame (for sheer craziness).

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Any Charlie Manson interview is, for lack of a better word, insane. I don't even know why they bother asking him serious questions after the first five minutes, the man clearly has at best a feeble grasp on reality.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

mod sassinator posted:

instead of being in front of a camera the people are in front of a set of mirrors that make them think they're talking directly to Morris.

Sorry, can you explain this?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Communocracy posted:

I had to look this up earlier. The wikipedia for the show links to this:

http://www.whiterabbitdesigncompany.com/Miscellaneous/images/Interrotron.html

Thanks to this thread I've just watched several of the Louis Theroux docs. The one with the Westboro Church group was very disturbing. The children in that family are nothing short of brainwashed and it's completely the fault of their upbringing. It's so goddamn sad to see the little kids spouting hate that they don't even understand. When they get older they will understand, but they'll be so used to everyone else in the world hating them except for their family that they'll just continue the cycle. What's happening there is child abuse, but it's psychological in nature. gently caress. Everything Louis said just went in one ear and out the other. Reason and understanding has left that group completely.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Communocracy posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Interviews were conducted with "The Interrotron", a device similar to a teleprompter: Errol and his subject each sit facing a camera. The image of each person's face is then projected onto a two-way mirror positioned in front of the lens of the other's camera. Instead of looking at a blank lens, then, both Morris and his subject are looking directly at a human face. Morris believes that the machine encourages monologue in the interview process, while also encouraging the interviewees to "express themselves to camera".

I knew I recognized Morris' name from somewhere. "The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara is a 2003 American documentary film about the life and times of former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara as well as illustrating his observations of the nature of modern warfare."

Here's the first 10 minutes of one of my favourites, Dark Days. It's about homeless people living in the subway tunnels under NYC.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Baby Beauty Queens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVHgXgRPVis
A documentary about the first Kids Beauty Pageant held in the UK. It is, obviously, infuriating and painful.

Some thoughts:
I want to kill the fat ugly bitch that organized this, as well as the crazy parents of the contestants (except the one from the low income family, she was cool, and talked against exploiting kids with make up and the like)

EDIT: Adding the link seemed like a good idea.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Hellwuzzat posted:

I knew I recognized Morris' name from somewhere. "The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara is a 2003 American documentary film about the life and times of former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara as well as illustrating his observations of the nature of modern warfare."

Here's the first 10 minutes of one of my favourites, Dark Days. It's about homeless people living in the subway tunnels under NYC.

Dark Days is great--it's the kind of lesser known, but awesome documentary I love to find on Netflix.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
This is such a great thread, and several recommendations have kept me occupied for hours so far!

However.

Can anyone recommend any documentaries that aren't so depressing? I can only learn so much about Bulgarian orphanages/Canada's horrible treatment of Aboriginals/reasons why we're going to run out of fuel and fall into a world of chaos/stories of global financial ruin before I start feeling like slitting my wrists. A few more along the lines of An Idiot Abroad and Exit Through the Gift Shop, for example. Or a personal favourite of mine- Planet B-Boy.

Edit: All fantastic recommendations below. Thanks!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 20, 2011

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

melon cat posted:

Can anyone recommend any documentaries that aren't so depressing?

How about a documentary that doesn't have any people...or words? Just lots of bugs and music! :D

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

melon cat posted:

This is such a great thread, and several recommendations have kept me occupied for hours so far!

However.

Can anyone recommend any documentaries that aren't so depressing? I can only learn so much about Bulgarian orphanages/Canada's horrible treatment of Aboriginals/reasons why we're going to run out of fuel and fall into a world of chaos/stories of global financial ruin before I start feeling like slitting my wrists. A few more along the lines of An Idiot Abroad and Exit Through the Gift Shop, for example.
Not really a documentary, but a good find of something amazing.
Baraka in 1080p on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOW5QB2ng48

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

melon cat posted:

However.

Can anyone recommend any documentaries that aren't so depressing? I can only learn so much about Bulgarian orphanages/Canada's horrible treatment of Aboriginals/reasons why we're going to run out of fuel and fall into a world of chaos/stories of global financial ruin before I start feeling like slitting my wrists. A few more along the lines of An Idiot Abroad and Exit Through the Gift Shop, for example.

Trekkies 1 and 2
The King of Kong
Monster Camp

In general, any documentary about subcultures where people take themselves too seriously.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Also check out Michael Palin's travel documentaries for good stuff that isn't so serious. Be warned they might make you want to spend a lot of money on international airfare though!

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Madventures. Youtube probably doesn't have all the episodes, quite a few though. Season 3 is in English, 1&2 are in Finnish.

wiki copypaste:

quote:

Madventures is a Finnish travel documentary television series that concentrates on backpacking in the most off-the-beaten-path destinations on the planet. It is presented by Riku Rantala and Tuomas "Tunna" Milonoff. As the show's director and cameramen, they travel around the world exploring different cultures. They emphasize that they are on a journey, not on a holiday. The show often features local practices that are culturally unacceptable or controversial where the episodes air, to the point where the showmakers have been accused of deliberate, excessive use of shock imagery.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Oh yeah, I just found a treasure trove of good one on one stories. Look for Erol Morris' First Person--it's a TV series where Morris interviews people, but instead of being in front of a camera the people are in front of a set of mirrors that make them think they're talking directly to Morris.

For example here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbLhBISXbVA

I made it 1 minute and 13 seconds in before I literally had the "that poo poo is creepy shakes" and most certainly looked like :stare:

Jesus. That was the most hosed up minute of film I have seen recently.

a baby anime
Aug 14, 2010

by Ozma

Kehveli posted:

Madventures. Youtube probably doesn't have all the episodes, quite a few though. Season 3 is in English, 1&2 are in Finnish.

wiki copypaste:

I remember the travel channel used to show this, I think they showed a couple episodes and cancelled it, I was way dissapointed because I always missed it.

Quakerman
Apr 4, 2010

by elpintogrande
Our Brand is Crisis

Our Brand Is Crisis is a 2005 documentary film by Rachel Boynton on American political campaign marketing tactics by Greenberg Carville Shrum (GCS) in the 2002 Bolivian presidential election. The election saw Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada elected President of Bolivia ahead of Evo Morales.

Hearts and Minds

Hearts and Minds is a 1974 American documentary film about the Vietnam War directed by Peter Davis. The film's title is based on a quote from President Lyndon B. Johnson: "the ultimate victory will depend on the hearts and minds of the people who actually live out there". The movie was chosen as Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 47th Academy Awards presented in 1975.

Defamation

Defamation is a 2009 documentary film by award-winning filmmaker Yoav Shamir. The film examines antisemitism, and in particular the way perceptions of antisemitism affect Israeli and U.S. politics. The film won Best Documentary Feature Film at the 2009 Asia Pacific Screen Awards.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

melon cat posted:

However.

Can anyone recommend any documentaries that aren't so depressing? I can only learn so much about Bulgarian orphanages/Canada's horrible treatment of Aboriginals/reasons why we're going to run out of fuel and fall into a world of chaos/stories of global financial ruin before I start feeling like slitting my wrists. A few more along the lines of An Idiot Abroad and Exit Through the Gift Shop, for example. Or a personal favourite of mine- Planet B-Boy.

A lot of my job at the moment is watching documentaries and some days I feel like slitting my wrists. That said, cheerful documentaries tend to fall into the categories of
- nature (Baraka as Retarded Pimp already suggested is fantastic)
- chipper ethnic choir performs in front of rich white people (Sound of Mumbai/Fezeka's Voice)
- a persecuted minority holds a beauty pagaent to highlight their cause (Miss Gay America, Miss Transgendered India etc, Miss Landmine Victim)
- movies about space (Richard Garriot's is good)
- disabled sports teams (Murderball, Albino United)
- crazy people (cat ladies, fetishes, grown up people living with their parents)

That said a particular favourite of mine, which may have been mentioned earlier in this thread is Audience of One about an American pastor who believes that God has given him the gift of storytelling and collects donations from his congregation so he can go to Italy and make a $50 million sci-fi reimagining of the Joseph story. Expensive chaos ensues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83fZvpYMgM

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

melon cat posted:

However.

Edit: All fantastic recommendations below. Thanks!

An Idiot Abroad is brilliant, and Gervais has announced that Karl Pilkington will be in a similar series called The Bucket List later this year :toot:

Channel 4 did a cheerful documentary called Meet the Natives, where they brought a tribe from the Vanuatu Islands to UK who believe that Prince Philip (the least eloquent person in the royal family after Charles) is the reincarnation of a divine being sacred to them (wiki).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

An Idiot Abroad is brilliant, and Gervais has announced that Karl Pilkington will be in a similar series called The Bucket List later this year :toot:

Channel 4 did a cheerful documentary called Meet the Natives, where they brought a tribe from the Vanuatu Islands to UK who believe that Prince Philip (the least eloquent person in the royal family after Charles) is the reincarnation of a divine being sacred to them (wiki).

This one is quite good for those who are weary due to the more retarded documentaries Channel 4 has done in the past (Crip On A Trip, loving really?).

And the Dara does comedy for the LARPers was brillaintly touching.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

reality_groove posted:

A lot of my job at the moment is watching documentaries and some days I feel like slitting my wrists. That said, cheerful documentaries tend to fall into the categories of
- nature (Baraka as Retarded Pimp already suggested is fantastic)
- chipper ethnic choir performs in front of rich white people (Sound of Mumbai/Fezeka's Voice)
- a persecuted minority holds a beauty pagaent to highlight their cause (Miss Gay America, Miss Transgendered India etc, Miss Landmine Victim)
- movies about space (Richard Garriot's is good)
- disabled sports teams (Murderball, Albino United)
- crazy people (cat ladies, fetishes, grown up people living with their parents)

That said a particular favourite of mine, which may have been mentioned earlier in this thread is Audience of One about an American pastor who believes that God has given him the gift of storytelling and collects donations from his congregation so he can go to Italy and make a $50 million sci-fi reimagining of the Joseph story. Expensive chaos ensues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n83fZvpYMgM

You know, I almost feel weird saying this but the documentary The Goddess Bunny is oddly uplifting.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Doppelganger posted:

Any Charlie Manson interview is, for lack of a better word, insane. I don't even know why they bother asking him serious questions after the first five minutes, the man clearly has at best a feeble grasp on reality.

I'm pretty sure he was at least paranoid schizophrenic (delusional and psychotic) before hand, but he's been in solitary confinement THE ENTIRE loving TIME he's been in prison. As in, since he was convicted, to now. That long. Alone. In a room.

I read once that he went up in front of an obligatory parole board hearing (in America, if someone is given a sentence of life in prison, he's still obligated to be heard by a parole board periodically), he handed the parole board members the "Get out of jail free" card he took from his Monopoly set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uhmtAmwnDQ

edit: Oh man.... I had never seen this one, its incredible:

"People look at you today, 20 years later, and they still have no idea what you're about. Tell me in a sentence who you are:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2oZWpqtNi4

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 22, 2011

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

The Scientist posted:

"People look at you today, 20 years later, and they still have no idea what you're about. Tell me in a sentence who you are:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XREnvJRkif0

I've watched several of his interviews, and I always go back and forth between thinking "He's completely lost his mind," and "He knows he's in for life, so he's just loving with them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Can anyone recommend a good documentary on the JFK Assassination. There's so many out there that focus on the weird conspiracy and go all over the place. I'm looking for something that gives a general idea of what happened, the reasons behind it, and potential investigates/debunks the common conspiracy theories.