Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
Anyone heard anything similar to this: Abandon(swe). I can't describe what genre they belong to, kinda sludge-ish mixed with funeral doom mixed with heroin addicts. They really have their own sound. Check them out youtubes. The closest I could find was Switchblade but they only have one good album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Bondage posted:

Anyone heard anything similar to this: Abandon(swe). I can't describe what genre they belong to, kinda sludge-ish mixed with funeral doom mixed with heroin addicts. They really have their own sound. Check them out youtubes. The closest I could find was Switchblade but they only have one good album.

Thanks a lot for mentioning Abandon. I had never heard of them, but they do sound really loving depressing. I'm not sure there's a lot of bands that can compare, though. Maybe Corrupted, but you probably know them already.

On the opposite side of the doom spectrum, though, I've been feeling kinda... mellow lately. I dunno, for some reason I started getting all nostalgic about these semi-obscure romantic/melodic doom bands I used to listen years ago, like (old) Lacrimas Profundere, Forest of Shadows, Ningizzia, Slumber, Thorns of the Carrion. A bit shameful, I know, because they can get sooo cheesy and overdone at times (especially with the lyrics), but I can't help it. Do you doom goons know of some more similar stuff I could get my hands on?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^^ Those guys sound exactly like Unearthly Trance to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-E0n3DJHg

Maybe the first Salome album would fit too? Here's a preview thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmxh0_uMlK0

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I loved Salome's self-titled, but I couldn't get into Terminal at all.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

aliencowboy posted:

I like it a lot now but it was def a disappointment at first. I was expecting more of the same and would probably have been happy with it, but I really like the direction they're taking and def have respect for those guys for growing as a band and not just doing the same album with different chords. Maybe their next one will be more of a mix of both albums. That I'd really love to hear.

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

I know what you mean. I like the album now, but it's definitely a smoking weed background album, kind of like metal elevator music.

Eksortna
Mar 17, 2011
Ahh, this is wonderful. Eyehategod is such a great band, I'm glad to see it has been name dropped here. As well as Boris.
Boris' Pink album had a sort of Stoner vibe to me.
What's your thoughts on The Melvin's Lysol album?

"Prevention is better than the cure." - Desiderius Erasmus.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Eksortna posted:

What's your thoughts on The Melvin's Lysol album?

Should be in the required listening list in the OP.

Eksortna
Mar 17, 2011

cheap sunglasses posted:

Should be in the required listening list in the OP.

I concur. Was sort of disappointed when I'd noticed it was not.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Some new European slow music for you all:

So Spinalonga Records, purveyors of all Greek forms of slow music, released a huge (free) 2 part collection of brand new tracks from 16 bands spanning a wide range of genres, called Miss Fortune Was A Henhouse Manager.
Check it:Part One Part Two

Also Italian band Lento released their new album, Icon, for free too and it's drat heavy, a bit like a sludgier Ufomammut. It's great.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Eksortna posted:

I concur. Was sort of disappointed when I'd noticed it was not.
THERE, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

(I hope so)

Apparently Bong has a new LP coming very soon, too. Looking forward to that.

seafood28
Nov 14, 2007
Just found out that Sleep is playing the Sled Island festival in Calgary. Can't wait.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleep are still touring?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Eksortna
Mar 17, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

THERE, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

(I hope so)

Apparently Bong has a new LP coming very soon, too. Looking forward to that.

I'm very happy now. Thanks. :3

Ordinary Jester
Dec 8, 2005

WEE-OOO WEE-OOO WEE-OOO
Wow, a lot of great information in the OP, should take me weeks to go through all the albums Ive never listened to.

Three pages and no mention of Red Sparowes? Great instrumental sludge.

Also Battle of Mice is great if you dont mind the vocals.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ordinary Jester posted:

Also Battle of Mice is great if you dont mind the vocals.

Oh wow I forgot about them. Their split with Jesu is really good.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 20, 2011

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
Wouldn't really call Red Sparrows sludge.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Someone mentioned this a page back, but Zoroaster should be in the OP.

I just got my hands on their latest album, Matador (a bit late, since it was released like half a year ago). I've already listened to it like 6 or 7 times, and it is seriously quickly becoming one of my favorite albums released in 2010. I don't know how I could've missed it.

Actually I do know why I almost missed it: their only other album that I've heard is their self-titled release, and I could never really get into it.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

I just wanted to mention that a few months ago, I was partly inspired by the music in this thread and the previous thread (and also the bass megathread) to learn how to play the bass guitar. It's one of the better decisions I've made in my life. So yeah, this thread kicks rear end :black101:

Ordinary Jester
Dec 8, 2005

WEE-OOO WEE-OOO WEE-OOO

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Wouldn't really call Red Sparrows sludge.

Post-metal maybe? I've never liked that term because it sounds like metal is dead. I still think it fits this thread.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Where do I start with Nadja?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

I'm only acquainted with a fraction of their material, but I think Touched, Truth Becomes Death and Desire in Uneasiness are very good.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ordinary Jester posted:

Post-metal maybe? I've never liked that term because it sounds like metal is dead. I still think it fits this thread.

I think the Red Sparowes talk is in the post-rock thread.

Eksortna
Mar 17, 2011
Have you guys ever heard of Iron Monkey?
http://www.myspace.com/survivaloftheshittest

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Haha yeah they were all over Earache comps back in the post-Columbia death metal bust days when the label was trying to branch out and looking for the next Godflesh or the like.

I think I mentioned it in the last thread but Earache's Sabbath tribute comp is by far the superior Sabbath tribute record.

http://goo.gl/jEUV5

soundsection
May 10, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

The beginning. Touched, Skin Thuns To Glass and Corrasion are all fantastic. Their newest stuff is exponentially worse, with the exception of the split they did with Black Boned Angel. That said, I saw them at the end of last year and they loving killed, so I dont know what the gently caress is going on. I guess they are just one of those groups that works better in a live setting at stupidly loud volumes.

Still no Khanate in the OP.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What bands should I check out if I want more vocals like Orthodox/Neurosis? That extremely punchy and hateful full vocal style wrecks me. Sometimes I need to feel like the vocalist is pissed at me and needs to yell at me.

amplifier worship posted:

First of all, loving YES, Noothgrush are incredibly :black101: and totally worthy of :worship:

Being sober is the best way to appreciate all stoner/sludge/doom/drone records, in my humble ex-pothead opinion. I grew up with weed and that poo poo made me listen to some seriously revolting acts and think they were cool; conversely, once I outgrew my bong several years ago, my judgment improved drastically, and I started really feeling the fringe poo poo I had theretofore regarded as exclusively for passive, stoned listening. Use your ears to hear music. Use your brain to hear music. Don't use your Zig-Zags to hear music.

I realize this is completely contradictory to the entire genre, but it's what made me personally start loving the music as appreciable genius as opposed to just some riffs boring enough to keep my attention while high. Still love the theme, still love the drug (from afar), still love the aesthetic, still worship Satan. Just saying that Dopefight record is loving awesome, and what the poo poo is "too repetitive"?

Weed isn't really a passive drug for me. It enhances things and I notice so much more when i'm listening to music high. I'm such a music nerd that I can't help but completely immerse myself in every album I listen to. Mind + ears + weed is a perfect mix for me.

Anyway I didn't want to sound negative about the Dopefight album, I loving love it. I just think it goes on for a bit longer than necessary. Still an easy 4.5/5 or higher from me.

OP suggestion: Add Warning - Watching From A Distance to the first post. It's the most intense doom albums I've heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMr61LyEV0

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 21, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Kilometers Davis posted:

What bands should I check out if I want more vocals like Orthodox/Neurosis? That extremely punchy and hateful full vocal style wrecks me. Sometimes I need to feel like the vocalist is pissed at me and needs to yell at me.

Mistress and 16 maybe? Early Swans for sure. That in the OP? Fuckin Cop, A Screw, Coward, etc. Michael Gira looked and sang like he was going to rape and kill someone back then. Not necessarily in that order.

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

Eksortna posted:

Have you guys ever heard of Iron Monkey?
http://www.myspace.com/survivaloftheshittest

Iron Monkey loving rules!! Shame we'll never see them live again. I love bumpin' them on the car stereo with the bass turned way up... good times!

floater
May 7, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

Numbness. Because Numb is the best thing they will ever make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRYpRI8ONyI

I disagree that their newest releases are the worst. Sure, they've been a bit lousy with some of the newer albums (personally I didn't like the covers much at all). But I definitely enjoyed Sky Burial more than most of the older stuff, and the split with OvO was pretty interesting and creepy. Here's Sky Burial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JTYVn7ydKI

floater fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 21, 2011

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Come on, that cover of Only Shallow was great.

Kilometers Davis posted:

OP suggestion: Add Warning - Watching From A Distance to the first post. It's the most intense doom albums I've heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMr61LyEV0
Actually this is a good album - it never stood out as one of the best in the genre at all but it definitely succeeds in making some pretty loving depressing music.

Also I can't believe how long I've been meaning to check out Khanate. Just never got round to it. Which should I listen to/add to the OP?

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 21, 2011

Eksortna
Mar 17, 2011

Killer Low Life posted:

Iron Monkey loving rules!! Shame we'll never see them live again. I love bumpin' them on the car stereo with the bass turned way up... good times!

Indeed. Haha, that does sound like quite the good time.
And yes, 'tis a shame. ):

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

Also I can't believe how long I've been meaning to check out Khanate. Just never got round to it. Which should I listen to/add to the OP?

Things Viral.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

aliencowboy posted:

One of my all-time favorite bands. The album Thaumogenesis is my favorite by them, crushingly slow and heavy and their album When the Sun Always Shines on TV is a close second and it's also completely different from their other stuff. It's a collection of covers of unlikely inspirations done in their trademark style that makes for a very gloomy shoegaze time.

Their early albums are definitely spot on, they've become a lot more ambient and experimental lately. Touched, Numbness (a collection of more shoegazey songs), Truth Becomes Death and Bliss torn from Emptiness are all stellar early releases. Some of the newer stuff like Desire in Uneasiness, The Bungled and the Botched and Autopergamene are all great releases although a bit different from their early stuff.

Then you have their collaborations which are more miss than hit for the most part but there are some amazing gems in them. A lot of them are improvised sessions which helps explain a lot of their disjointed or ambient feel. Pyramids with Nadja is probably their best collab, different from their other stuff, very weird and very good. It's basically Nadja's textures, drums, guitar drone with Pyramids overlaying their bizarre music. Nadja w/ Black Boned Angel is great, Kodiak and Nadja's split is great, Primitive North (split with a Storm of Light) is good.

They also have a new one coming out called Konstruktion very shortly which is a collab with Galena.

Their collab with OVO is terrible. Also Under the Jaguar Sun.

Dead Skin Mask (Slayer cover) off of When I See the Sun Always Shines on TV
Veil of Disillusion off of Numbness.
Into the Silent Waves off of Pyramids with Nadja.
Thaumogenesis (Live) a live, shortened version.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Idioteque Dance posted:

Definitely Things Viral.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Idioteque Dance posted:

Things Viral. The Capture and Release EP is really good, too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks - I think 3 vouches for Things Viral is enough! I do remember the completely brutal-yet-arty video for Dead, which is well worth checking out for anyone who's not seen it.

soundsection
May 10, 2010
I hate being the odd one out. I think everything except Things Viral is stupidly, unbelievably good. Things Viral is way too 'empty', and not in a good way.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
New thread, whoop! I've been away a few days, so this is a nice surprise.

I'll just pimp my favorite sludge band that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Deep Blue (http://www.myspace.com/thedeepbluewizard)

They only have two albums, and one is available on vinyl only and it's merely "good". The one you should all get is Antarctic Abyss. Two tracks, approximately 30 minutes of music, yet it's some of the most bone-crushing, down-tuned, melt-your-loving-face-off riffs ever recorded. The lyrics, which come in a near chant or drone, evoke Lovecraftian themes of hidden dark entities in the cold, crushing deep. It's pretty much straight-up Sleep worship, but this is not a bad thing imo. The final few minutes of the second track will destroy your brain!

The only fault with this band is that they aren't putting out a new album every year. Track it down, listen ye goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Diseased Yak posted:

New thread, whoop! I've been away a few days, so this is a nice surprise.

I'll just pimp my favorite sludge band that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Deep Blue (http://www.myspace.com/thedeepbluewizard)

They only have two albums, and one is available on vinyl only and it's merely "good". The one you should all get is Antarctic Abyss. Two tracks, approximately 30 minutes of music, yet it's some of the most bone-crushing, down-tuned, melt-your-loving-face-off riffs ever recorded. The lyrics, which come in a near chant or drone, evoke Lovecraftian themes of hidden dark entities in the cold, crushing deep. It's pretty much straight-up Sleep worship, but this is not a bad thing imo. The final few minutes of the second track will destroy your brain!

The only fault with this band is that they aren't putting out a new album every year. Track it down, listen ye goons!
Thanks for the reminder, I've not listened to them in ages. It is really good.

Meanwhile, I just learned to play the oft-linked Dopefight - Saviour on guitar and while pretty simple, it is really really fun to play. Anybody have any other good songs they've been learning on guitar? I need to stop jamming so much and start building a repertoire, but I'd rather it be stoner/sludge/doom than more popular rock songs.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 22, 2011