Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just read this thread start to finish for fun. It seems like most of the posts are making light of stupid gullible people, not specifically audiophiles. It's like AI making fun of all vehicle performance enthusiasts when really they're only focussing on those that use Duralube.

I consider myself an audiophile.

quote:

An audiophile, from Latin audio[1] "I hear" and Greek philos[2] "loving," is a hobbyist who seeks high-quality audio reproduction via the use of specialized high-end audio electronics.[3][4] Audiophiles prefer to listen to music at a quality level that is as close to the original performance as possible using high-fidelity components.

I'd even say that MANY of the people in this thread are audiophiles by the above definition. Anyone who: a) Buys the perceived best equipment within their budget or b) Configures their equipment in such a way that it achieves a sound quality that is as accurate as possible given the equipment's limits is a genuine audiophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

fahrvergnugen posted:

Pretty sure this hasn't been shared yet, apologies if it has:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-terminated-speaker-cable/dp/B000J36XR2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The reviews are amazing.

What's funnier is "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed"
1. The Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee
2. Wheelmate Laptop Steering Wheel Desk
3. Inflatable Toast
4. Yodelling Yodel Pickle TOY Novelty Retro Gag Gift

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
http://www.quantumqrt.com/content.asp?ContentID=24
http://www.bmicable.com/oceanic_statement
http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20VALHALLA%20Power.htm

Lifted from another forum I use:

MattStolton posted:

WTF.

I wonder if it would pass a PAT test? Bet it has a normal fuse in it......If not, I wonder how much a 5A silver wired fuse would cost? Surely, the fuse would be the current limiting device.....[Makes me laugh, that they use a normal MK mains plug. God only knows how that IEC is superior to anything normal.How the hell would you hear the difference, based on any competent Hi-Fi component having at least 10000 uF in each rail.7 x 16AWG = 7 x 1.25mm˛. So, what, 2 for L1, 2 for N and 3 cores for Earth? 60A seems a little ambitious too?It may be cheaper, to get yourself a solar panel, some batteries, and a really top end invertor, to give "prefect" sine waves at 240V RMS.And how the hell to you measure wave front propagation in a cable, at speeds approaching the speed of light? You would need quite a few KM of cable to give the measurement gear half a chance.

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Audience%20Auric%20Illuminator.htm

Jesus Christ.

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2011

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
14000 dollars for 2m of power cable? Holy poo poo.

And the logic behind it. Even if it is made of magic pixie dust with superconducting properties, I like how every audiophile falling for that poo poo kinda ignores the tens to hundreds of kilometers of power lines, converters, distribution stations and mundane copper hook-up to their houses.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
You mean you don't have your own Hyperion Nuclear Battery or Toshiba 4-S reactor in the shed generating power for your house?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

quote:

We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all our lives.

PLEASE! You must listen! We cannot maintain the link for long... I will type as fast as I can.

DO NOT USE THE CABLES!

We were fools, fools to develop such a thing! Sound was never meant to be this clear, this pure, this... accurate. For a few short days, we marveled. Then the... whispers... began.

Were they Aramaic? Hyperborean? Some even more ancient tongue, first spoken by elder races under the red light of dying suns far from here? We do not know, but somehow, slowly... we began to UNDERSTAND.

No, no, please! I don't want to remember! YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME REMEMBER! I saw brave men claw their own eyes out... oh, god, the screaming... the mobs of feral children feasting on corpses, the shadows MOVING, the fires burning in the air! The CHANTING!

WHY CAN'T I FORGET THE WORDS???

We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all our lives.

Do not use the cables!

Haha I love the troll reviews for this link.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gromit posted:

You mean you don't have your own Hyperion Nuclear Battery or Toshiba 4-S reactor in the shed generating power for your house?
I like how the "BMI-cabling" of the entire house will eclipse the cost of a home nuclear reactor by several magnitudes.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

Doctor Butts posted:

What's funnier is "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed"
1. The Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee
2. Wheelmate Laptop Steering Wheel Desk
3. Inflatable Toast
4. Yodelling Yodel Pickle TOY Novelty Retro Gag Gift

I thought the $9.99 HDMI cable in the same list was pretty hilariously out of place too.

CheapImitation
Dec 29, 2010
A lot of people hate on the expensive cables, but sometimes they're worth it rather than going to, say, Monoprice. For example, my headphone amp. I have a Woo Audio 6, which is a tube amp, and one morning while listening to it (with monoprice's 'premium RCA cable') I start to hear voices in between songs. I think I'm going crazy or something. So I stop the music and listen closely and yes, the voices are there. They're talking about how many times you've cheated on your partner and what happened when they found out. Then I realized what happened...I was in the audience at a Murray show. No. My set up was picking up interference from a local radio show and that's what I was hearing. A quick swap to some semi-expensive cables with good shielding means no more radio interference.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

The people who buy these stupid power cables also buy stupid power conditioners designed specifically for stupid audiophile equipment. The idea is to preserve the stupid-conditioned energy in its perfectly stupid state to their stupid equipment.

CheapImitation
Dec 29, 2010

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

The people who buy these stupid power cables also buy stupid power conditioners designed specifically for stupid audiophile equipment. The idea is to preserve the stupid-conditioned energy in its perfectly stupid state to their stupid equipment.

Uh...not really. They provide more outlets, it protects your equipment from surges, spikes, blackouts, etc. and has enough battery to run your equipment long enough so you can safely shut everything down. If you're spending a couple grand on an audio set up a $200 power conditioner is worth it. I mean, it makes way more sense than pebbles or 1000 per ft audio cables.

CheapImitation fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 3, 2011

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Power conditioners are great. Audiophiles buy stupid power conditioners that probably aren't better. I googled "audiophile power conditioner" and found this site that sells $5000 boxes of voodoo.

http://www.audiofederation.com/catalog/power/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wouldn't trust my valuable system to a mere $5000 worth of voodoo
http://www.electronichouse.com/slideshow/products/1827/371

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Blue Jeans Cable is my favorite source for premium cables at reasonable rates. They also have some very in depth and interesting articles on what makes a quality cable and why HDMI is a terribly designed standard.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/index.htm

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Opensourcepirate posted:

Blue Jeans Cable is my favorite source for premium cables at reasonable rates. They also have some very in depth and interesting articles on what makes a quality cable and why HDMI is a terribly designed standard.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/index.htm

$38 is not "reasonable" for a six foot RCA cable.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

CheapImitation posted:

A lot of people hate on the expensive cables, but sometimes they're worth it rather than going to, say, Monoprice. For example, my headphone amp. I have a Woo Audio 6, which is a tube amp, and one morning while listening to it (with monoprice's 'premium RCA cable') I start to hear voices in between songs. I think I'm going crazy or something. So I stop the music and listen closely and yes, the voices are there. They're talking about how many times you've cheated on your partner and what happened when they found out. Then I realized what happened...I was in the audience at a Murray show. No. My set up was picking up interference from a local radio show and that's what I was hearing. A quick swap to some semi-expensive cables with good shielding means no more radio interference.
Were your cables from Monoprice a different length than the other cables? It's entirely possible that the semi-expensive cables didn't have any better shielding, but were a length that wouldn't pick up that AM station because it wasn't close to a even fraction of its wavelength.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

qirex posted:

$38 is not "reasonable" for a six foot RCA cable.

The base cost (reflecting the connectors and the cost of production of a custom length cable) is $25.

You're absolutely right that these cables are way overkill for most applications, but I think that the prices charged are reasonable given the quality of the materials and the cost of American supply and labor, as opposed to the price of Chinese manufactured cables from monoprice and other websites.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Opensourcepirate posted:

You're absolutely right that these cables are way overkill for most applications, but I think that the prices charged are reasonable given the quality of the materials and the cost of American supply and labor, as opposed to the price of Chinese manufactured cables from monoprice and other websites.
I work in a cable manufacturing plant in Europe (i.e. not China) and any "quality" LV cable here costs way less than an Euro per meter (at least the sort needed for audio, unless you want LOCA-certified nuclear grade control cabling). Connectors are also three times nothing relatively seen. 25 bucks for a custom cable is still a rip-off.

CheapImitation
Dec 29, 2010

Megiddo posted:

Were your cables from Monoprice a different length than the other cables? It's entirely possible that the semi-expensive cables didn't have any better shielding, but were a length that wouldn't pick up that AM station because it wasn't close to a even fraction of its wavelength.

They were both six feet cables.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

CheapImitation posted:

They were both six feet cables.

I still have no idea why balanced interconnects aren't used as standard in any gear that calls itself hi-fi.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I've gone from hifi to pro gear, moving to 2.1 using a cheapo behringer analogue active crossover with the intention of moving my crossover to software on the pc, and yet: http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/moncabm1000i7.html

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Power conditioners are great. Audiophiles buy stupid power conditioners that probably aren't better. I googled "audiophile power conditioner" and found this site that sells $5000 boxes of voodoo.

http://www.audiofederation.com/catalog/power/

You'd think that with the money these guys make from selling voodoo stuff to audiophiles they'd be able to afford a webdesigner.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Most audiophile equipment websites look like they were made in the '90s though. I think updating the site would actually hurt their image.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah yes, the fine art of vintage 90's websites, carefully crafted to match my expensive equipment. This here animated gif cost $500 and I had it custom-crafted to match the colors and minimize jagged edges.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I use some coaxial-like shielded cables from my computer to the stereo, because of how my sound card works I keep the volume turned up on the amp to maximize headroom (with the volume at max + eq. it might limit the signal, around 50% and this is a non-issue).

A standard jack-jack cable picked up significant noise and had a very definite treble attenuation, the coax one eliminated this problem.

It cost around :20bux: for a 3m cable.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

I wouldn't trust my valuable system to a mere $5000 worth of voodoo
http://www.electronichouse.com/slideshow/products/1827/371

At least that's a whole-house UPS and surge protector. It's probably still overpriced but it is doing something.

Neurophonic posted:

I still have no idea why balanced interconnects aren't used as standard in any gear that calls itself hi-fi.

Because it requires an extra processing step that harms the warmth and musicality.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
So apparently this is getting so out of hand someone did a study on the subject.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Sagacity posted:

So apparently this is getting so out of hand someone did a study on the subject.

I love the starting anecdotes. I'll have to read the rest of it later. Thanks for posting this!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I flew over it, and I didn't see any tables or numbers. Much of a study this is.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Much of a study this is.
Numbers don't mean much in this context. If you read the study, you'll find it is simply more relaxing and airy than normal studies.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Sagacity posted:

Numbers don't mean much in this context. If you read the study, you'll find it is simply more relaxing and airy than normal studies.

When numbers are cut off too quickly, some primitive mechanism is tripped in our minds. No wonder bad studies are so horribly exhausting to read. After I read one of those, I usually have to go and take a nap.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

This video pretty much sums up what I believe audiophiles talk like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22otFayLRw&feature=related

Especially that first minute. The snakeskin cables especially.

Love it.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

You're trying to say that the first thing you lose with low-end equipment is visceral bass? You're wrong.
You don't just feel bass. In order for a bass drum or other percussive sound to sound and feel properly like a drum you need to have the whole frequency spectrum (or at least most of it anyway)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure I've had more than one cheap headphones where ALL you could hear was the bass.

Fists Up posted:

This video pretty much sums up what I believe audiophiles talk like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22otFayLRw&feature=related

Especially that first minute. The snakeskin cables especially.

Love it.

Did this kind of music humor with weird voice start with Adam02 or was there someone before him?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Well let me clarify what I was saying.

On a decent set of fullrange speakers turned up loud, play this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-1udKAjhqo

Then play it again with the treble cut, then again with just the bass playing through.

When you're hearing the full range, you feel the beat like an impact against your chest. When you're just hearing the bass it's somewhat dulled, more of a shaking than an impact.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
That has more to do with amplitude than anything else. Bass at high amplitude is going to thump your chest, but I can't see many people with the living arrangements where they can get away with playing music that loud in their own home.

Most people I know do not want or need a very powerful sound system. I have a pair of 100 watt desktop monitors (Dynaudio BM5as) for production work and I barely ever used them at home. I never cranked them because it would just piss everyone off. You can get desktop speakers that go much louder but if its for home use, whats the point? My house isn't designed to be an auditorium and they sound like poo poo in small rooms anyway.

For the past year, me and a couple of buddies have been renting studio space and now I just leave my desktop monitors in the studio.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 25, 2011

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

WanderingKid posted:

I can't see many people with the living arrangements where they can get away with playing music that loud in their own home.
Tell me about it :( people don't know how it is, being addicted to bass. It seems no matter where I go, I can't get my fix without the man holding me down. In warehouses in empty industrial districts, in valleys in the middle of nowhere... always there seems to be someone to complain.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Socket Ryanist posted:

When you're hearing the full range, you feel the beat like an impact against your chest. When you're just hearing the bass it's somewhat dulled, more of a shaking than an impact.

Well yeah, 'bass' is a huge range of frequencies (~60-250Hz), even if you don't include harmonics and stick to fundamentals.

If you count harmonics then a kickdrum is still making noise at around 4kHz.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Wouldn't the standing waves in a particular room affect dynamics as well? It might mask the transient frequency to an extent and reduce the contrast of the "thump". Even worse it might just cancel it out.

Neurophonic posted:

If you count harmonics then a kickdrum is still making noise at around 4kHz.

If you want more beater head sound you want to look at 6-7k. That can help draw out the kick but it won't do anything for impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The point I'm trying to get at is that although a sound may only have bass in terms of how we perceive it, it still has higher frequencies in terms of how it behaves in a dynamic system. The fourier-type spectral analyses only somewhat approximate how we perceive sound.

For example, if you were to take a 400 Hz sine wave and modulate it with a 4 Hz LFO, everyone would agree that they perceive only one frequency: 400 Hz

However if you take the fourier transform of this signal, you find it has two peaks at 396 Hz and 404 Hz, and is in fact zero-valued at 400 Hz.

If you run this signal through a notch filter that cuts out 400 Hz but leaves 396 Hz and 404 Hz intact (I'm not sure if such a thing is possible or feasible to create), it will get through just fine, whereas an unmodulated 400 Hz sinewave will not.