Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

enigma74 posted:

This game is such a gem. Just when you think things are sad.. it gets worse.

Anybody know of other games with this type of story? I've had a taste of melodrama and bittersweet and I want more! Besides Drakenguard, of course.

It's way more minimalist, but the only game I can think of is Shadow of the Colossus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowerypursuit
Jul 11, 2006

de la underwear party
Something that bothers me every time I go to the Junk Heap is this random boat next to the waterfall by it, that you can't get to. I've tried all sorts of ways, but it just seems to be out of reach, but it's marked on the map as a point you can boat from (the little upside down triangles). What's with that?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Erilily posted:

Something that bothers me every time I go to the Junk Heap is this random boat next to the waterfall by it, that you can't get to. I've tried all sorts of ways, but it just seems to be out of reach, but it's marked on the map as a point you can boat from (the little upside down triangles). What's with that?

It's where you land when you take the Lost Shrine route on the boats.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Can someone confirm that Emil Karma isn't used in the game? I know the instrumental version plays during part two Facade but the whole thing isn't used anywhere is it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Weird BIAS posted:

Can someone confirm that Emil Karma isn't used in the game? I know the instrumental version plays during part two Facade but the whole thing isn't used anywhere is it.

I'm pretty sure the vocal version plays when the Prince and co. helps you fight Goose?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Technique posted:

I'm pretty sure the vocal version plays when the Prince and co. helps you fight Goose?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it plays there. I'm almost positive it also plays on the final hallway between Emil's death and going to fight the Shadowlord. I recall taking out a lot of aggression on the unfortunate swarm of Shades in that corridor after Emil died and it playing.

This game has a poo poo load of music it barely ever uses.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The full version plays when you fight Goose with the prince and his army. And a more subdued version plays during the room before the fight with the Shadowlord with more layers of music being removed the further you go.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

This game has a poo poo load of music it barely ever uses.

It also helps that a lot of the music in the game is layered and structured strangely, and a good chunk of the "songs" in the game aren't even on the soundtrack.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The two NieR Mini-Albums that Square gave away for pre-ordering Gestalt and Replicant respectively both come with a track or two that has a different layered version. I have the Replicant one and on the "radio drama" track they play a different version of a couple songs.

Of course I can't find the Gestalt mini-album because no one loving bought Gestalt in Japan.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Ending B playthrough is so cruel :smith:

Facade is the worst.

alexminor
Feb 22, 2011
Just a quick comment on Kaine being a hemaphrodite, and i'm going to try to be as not offensive as possible on this.

Japan isn't known for being the most accepting of alternative life styles, or being incredibly open about sexuality. This is a country where most gay jokes boil down too "Gay people Exsist HAHAHAHA!". If you read the interview in Grimoire Neir, he pretty much says he made her a hermaphrodite for no real reason that relates to the plot. They basicly designed a hot chick, put her in lingere, intended to have her enter a relationship with the main character, decided to take that part out, never develop it, and then said "HA! She has a penis!". It adds little to the plot aside from explaining why she dresses like that, and honestly, she could have just worn a dress giving the games explination. For further examples of not heterosexuality in Cavia games and how it doesn't really add a whole lot, see Leonard being a pedophile, or Emil being gay for Nier.
I'm not sure spoiler tags were neccesary for that all, but wanted to be safe.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

alexminor posted:

Just a quick comment on Kaine being a hemaphrodite, and i'm going to try to be as not offensive as possible on this.

Japan isn't known for being the most accepting of alternative life styles, or being incredibly open about sexuality. This is a country where most gay jokes boil down too "Gay people Exsist HAHAHAHA!". If you read the interview in Grimoire Neir, he pretty much says he made her a hermaphrodite for no real reason that relates to the plot. They basicly designed a hot chick, put her in lingere, intended to have her enter a relationship with the main character, decided to take that part out, never develop it, and then said "HA! She has a penis!". It adds little to the plot aside from explaining why she dresses like that, and honestly, she could have just worn a dress giving the games explination. For further examples of not heterosexuality in Cavia games and how it doesn't really add a whole lot, see Leonard being a pedophile, or Emil being gay for Nier.
I'm not sure spoiler tags were neccesary for that all, but wanted to be safe.

...You do realize the entirety of her backstory of getting shat on by the people in The Aerie is due to her being that way?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Honestly, making it just be a facet of her character instead of something that defines who she is, whether intentional or not, actually ends up making it one of the best portrayals of it that I've seen. She's not defined as "girl with man parts" like that's her entire character. She's a character with depth and emotions, who undergoes a change in perspective over the course of the story. It SHOULDN'T add anything to the plot. It's just a fact of who she is, like if she were brunette instead of blonde. Same thing with Emil being gay and liking Nier. It's just there, but it doesn't control his character. He doesn't spend the whole game pining after Nier and making awkward come-ons every five minutes. It's just a part of who he is.

EDIT: Fair enough.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 15, 2011

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
^^^^ Maybe spoiler that just in case.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
So, when I started reading the LP I got kind of thrown when it was mentioned the sun never sets. I took Devola's line in the same way you'd take someone saying New York is the city that never sleeps, as a figure of speech more than anything, and I guess I didn't really notice the lack of an actual sun or the total absence of a day/night cycle.

Do the supplementary materials actually qualify why this is the case, or is it just thrown out there without any explanation? I can only remember it being mentioned by Devola that one time.

alexminor
Feb 22, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

...You do realize the entirety of her backstory of getting shat on by the people in The Aerie is due to her being that way?
Yes, which is why i mentioned the bit about her dressing like that, but it still doesn't affect the core plot of the game, or her character, aside from It being the result of her anger, which kept the shade in her from taking over and killing her, if i understand that right.
And i agree with what Crappy Jack said, to a point. It shouldn't be the focus of the character, but there is very little added by having that be apart of her past. She could have been picked on for being fat, or ugly, and it still could have made her angry and made her dress in lingerie to express her feminity when she grew up and wasn't fat or ugly anymore.
And i can even compliment them for dealing with it in a realistic way in that Most hermaphrodites pick one gender or the other and stick with it, and live that way, and there was no hamfisted, she's kinda manly because she has a penis. As long as we assume angry and aggresive doesn't equate to masculine. And again, from Grimoire Nier "By the way, she’s a hermaphrodite because a female development staff from Cavia commented “How about we make the heroine into a male…” to director Yokoo." That was the genesis of it, it wasn't a core story element, and the story doesn't change much if you remove it. It could even be argued that more of her attitude comes from discrimation she faced later from being half shade, since she obviously looks like a female, and i doubht she ran around the Aerie naked waving her cock in peoples faces. And besides, they never come out of their houses to see.

I don't think it hurts the game or the character, i just think the reason's it was included are kind of silly. I just get the sense the scenario writer likes throwing these things into games to be different and for no other reason.
Also, my wife comments that she has one of the best asses she has yet seen in a videogame.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

And putting it in just because, even if it doesn't have anything to do with anything, is actually a remarkably progressive move, even if it's not intended as such. Generally speaking, imagine some young kid who's born as a hermaphrodite. What kind of role models does that person have? Where in media can you see someone who reflects that in a positive manner besides, I dunno, creepy guy in a sex comedy, or psycho murderer? And yet here we have a game with a character who's like "Yeah, I'm that way. So what? I can still be a badass and have adventures and be strong and independent and dynamic and confident, while still having flaws like a real human being would. I don't have to let it control who I am, despite what anyone tells me". Messages like that are INCREDIBLY powerful. Generally speaking, there doesn't have to be a reason for anyone in a game to not be something besides a straight white male. So is there a point behind Kaine being the way she is? No. Which is actually exactly why she's such a great character; because generally, minorities are portrayed as having a problem based on their minority status. A hispanic guy in a movie or a video game will 99% of the time have hispanic problems. A black guy will have black problems. And in an industry where white males are the standard, that's actually very dangerous not to challenge. Why not throw in something just to be different? In an era of CoD and first person shooters, why not go with something different just for the hell of it? Shake things up, take risks, do things no one else wants to. That's how we grow.

Talkin' bout minorities in a JRPG.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 15, 2011

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
Just finished ending B today, set to do endings C + D tomorrow. Goddamn this game is amazing, and Kaine is my favorite character :allears:

Just wondering, though -- which would be considered the "canon" ending? I've heard that Ending D + the E novel supplements are, but I'm still not entirely convinced based on the spoilers I've read for them. B seems to be more proper to me at least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

victorisham posted:

Just finished ending B today, set to do endings C + D tomorrow. Goddamn this game is amazing, and Kaine is my favorite character :allears:

Just wondering, though -- which would be considered the "canon" ending? I've heard that Ending D + the E novel supplements are, but I'm still not entirely convinced based on the spoilers I've read for them. B seems to be more proper to me at least.

Yoko Taro (NIER Director) pretty much says that he intended for either C or D to be considered the game's "final" ending. It basically boils down to what you believe Nier would do in that situation, Mr. Taro believes C is for Father and D is for Brother. After playing both, I tend to agree with him.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Crappy Jack posted:

And putting it in just because, even if it doesn't have anything to do with anything, is actually a remarkably progressive move, even if it's not intended as such. Generally speaking, imagine some young kid who's born as a hermaphrodite. What kind of role models does that person have? Where in media can you see someone who reflects that in a positive manner besides, I dunno, creepy guy in a sex comedy, or psycho murderer? And yet here we have a game with a character who's like "Yeah, I'm that way. So what? I can still be a badass and have adventures and be strong and independent and dynamic and confident, while still having flaws like a real human being would. I don't have to let it control who I am, despite what anyone tells me".

I was be more concerned that a kid would be playing Nier.

In all seriousness I still don't buy the whole "she wearing that skimpy outfit to emphasize being female" thing. Well, I get trying to stress her femininity in dress, but she really could have chosen something less skanky. It just seems like kind of a flimsy excuse to have a chick in a skimpy outfit, ya know?

Normally I'm not even that put off by tacky outfits in games, but Kaine's pretty bad, honestly.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Oh, I have no doubt that was more or less so people would go "Whoa, hot half naked chick, I'm totally buying that game!" which makes it all the more delicious

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Here's a question: can I still get eagle eggs, if The Aerie is loving destroyed?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Here's a question: can I still get eagle eggs, if The Aerie is loving destroyed?

Nope. Sorry. Try again on another NG+

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I thought you could find them in the DLC?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh, right. Yeah in like the DLC's third door they're a random drop.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Crappy Jack posted:

So is there a point behind Kaine being the way she is? No. Which is actually exactly why she's such a great character;

Actually I disagree pretty strongly with this. Her hermaphroditic/transgendered/whatever (I wasn't clear on exactly which it was) status is conceptually important to her character and the overall theme of the game. If nothing else, I thought it was interesting that Nier's ultimate redemptive act of sacrificing himself so that she could live gave her the opportunity to be a mother/sister figure to Yonah by removing her father/brother figure.

I think the decision to make her who she was was very deliberate from a writing standpoint rather than a simple (but still admirable) attempt to be progressive for its own sake. She just happens to be a relatively progressive character anyway. And yeah also because Cavia enjoy trolling gamers.

EDIT: Oh and the half-shade, demon-possession, whatever nonsense is definitely allegorically connected to her identity conflict

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 16, 2011

flowerypursuit
Jul 11, 2006

de la underwear party
A few thoughts on the Kainé thing;

a. It's pretty clear that they intended it to be a red herring on why the people of Aerie were dicks to her. The first loop the player is to assume it is due to being shade-possessed. The second loop then reveals that it's because they're bigoted against her condition. The vagueness (in the US version at least?) makes it not work, though. And also, early PR materials spoiled it for whatever reason, making the shock not work.

b. She's much closer to a transsexual character than a hermaphrodite, even though I'm pretty sure they intended her to be the latter. Beginning with the simple fact that real life hermaphrodites don't exist, and intersex conditions are more like a set of deformed genitals, unlike one or the other, or somewhere in between. Her model makes it quite clear she has a dick and balls, which even a fictional hermaphroditic character wouldn't have. And on top of all of that, society tends to sympathize with them more than a trans person.And how would they even know, to discriminate? Most people like that are assigned a gender at birth, and stick to it. It's not like she would go around telling them. (I don't exactly expect Cavia to be experts on this subject though.)

Also, her back story has some dialogue like "you'll be a real woman soon.", which seems to indicate that she'd be getting whatever surgery may exist in Nier-land.

c. And for what it's worth, many real life intersex people consider hermaphrodite a slur, which kind of makes me uneasy seeing promotional materials translated using it. That's just me, I suppose.

That's my feelings on the matter anyway, I'm sure they intended it one way, but with the vagueness/possible censorship (How does the Japanese version handle it anyway?) It's hard to tell, but I feel it works better the other way.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Erilily posted:

A few thoughts on the Kainé thing;

a. It's pretty clear that they intended it to be a red herring on why the people of Aerie were dicks to her. The first loop the player is to assume it is due to being shade-possessed. The second loop then reveals that it's because they're bigoted against her condition. The vagueness (in the US version at least?) makes it not work, though. And also, early PR materials spoiled it for whatever reason, making the shock not work.

b. She's much closer to a transsexual character than a hermaphrodite, even though I'm pretty sure they intended her to be the latter. Beginning with the simple fact that real life hermaphrodites don't exist, and intersex conditions are more like a set of deformed genitals, unlike one or the other, or somewhere in between. Her model makes it quite clear she has a dick and balls, which even a fictional hermaphroditic character wouldn't have. And on top of all of that, society tends to sympathize with them more than a trans person.And how would they even know, to discriminate? Most people like that are assigned a gender at birth, and stick to it. It's not like she would go around telling them. (I don't exactly expect Cavia to be experts on this subject though.)

Also, her back story has some dialogue like "you'll be a real woman soon.", which seems to indicate that she'd be getting whatever surgery may exist in Nier-land.

c. And for what it's worth, many real life intersex people consider hermaphrodite a slur, which kind of makes me uneasy seeing promotional materials translated using it. That's just me, I suppose.

That's my feelings on the matter anyway, I'm sure they intended it one way, but with the vagueness/possible censorship (How does the Japanese version handle it anyway?) It's hard to tell, but I feel it works better the other way.

A lot of people don't understand the difference between hermaphrodite and intersex, even in America. (Also, the Japanese language may not distinguish between the two anyway.) Of course, Kaine isn't really human, not in the strictest sense, so maybe Replicants can be true hermaphrodites? The supplemental materials says that Kaine's Gesalt was originally a cisgender female and her intersex/hermaphrodite nature is due to an accident in the replicant process, so who knows?

And, honestly, do the Aerie need a good reason to discriminate against people? They're the Aerie.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Erilily posted:

I agree whole-heartedly with this, and that's what I would have assumed she was (and what was going on) in her text blast at the beginning of a New Game+ even if I'd never heard about it before playing the game. It seemed rather obvious to me, and I think it's logical even as a plot element that it's only revealed on repeated playthroughs because to a great extent I think the post-A storyline and endings are very much about Kaine (even the way you get the Shade side of the story) and her salvation and ability to assume a fully feminine role as a mother/sister guardian to Yonah in Nier's place.

Then again I'm transgendered so this is probably to some extent my own paradigm affecting how I interpret the game. A lot of people seem to think Ending D is stupid other than the mindfuck save deletion; I thought it was quite powerful and if I ever decide (as a student of English pursuing a post-graduate education) to write some nerdy indulgent poo poo about a videogame it's probably going to be about Nier.

Baku fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 17, 2011

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Finally getting this game out of my backlog, and I had a quick question as I start my first playthrough.

I was considering going after a Plat in this game, although the grinding to upgrade the weapons seems like it might be too much of a chore... but if I did I'd want to knock out the under 15 hours trophy on this first game, so I'd have to skip all the part 1 sidequests.

I guess my question is, am I missing out on any particularly good stuff by skipping that? I love the idea of all the different genres in the game, and I'd hate to miss the only text-adventure part or something. I suppose I could always do another run after getting all 4 endings (which I will do regardless of whether I decide to try for all the trophies), but I might not have the motivation.

Anyway, loving the game so far and I'm glad I finally got around to playing it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I really can't recommend rushing through the game on your first go. You'll miss out on a lot of stuff, and you'll just end up ruining your enjoyment of the game.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

This game is horrible to plat, simply because you're forced to miss an incredible amount of content to get that 15-hour trophy, and doubly so because grinding for some of the weapon items (like those loving Eagle Eggs or White Moonflowers) could be a dozen hours or so on their own.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If you want to go Plat, then you are going to do yourself a massive disservice by trying to speedrun your first time through. Please don't do it - save that trophy for last and make a new game to speedrun (it'll take about 9-10 hours since you know what you're doing and what cutscenes you can skip since you've seen them/don't want to watch them again).

There's a number of trophies in Nier that are pretty much contrary to the goal of experiencing the game/story fully - all of the boss speed-kill trophies basically preclude you from seeing the cutscenes during/after the battles because you have to skip them to meet the time limit. Be prepared to replay segments/boss fights for those trophies too, and don't specifically try to get them the first time you fight a boss.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

OK, I'll just skip the plat and take my time on the first run. I don't care about trophies that much, it's just when I get 90% of them I always feel a little cheated I didn't do something simple to get those last 2 trophies, but I'd way rather enjoy what seems to be such a unique game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Hal Incandenza posted:

OK, I'll just skip the plat and take my time on the first run. I don't care about trophies that much, it's just when I get 90% of them I always feel a little cheated I didn't do something simple to get those last 2 trophies, but I'd way rather enjoy what seems to be such a unique game.

You sure won't get 90% in this without a concentrated effort! Maybe like 50%. Getting Platinum in Nier probably triples the time investment.

Definitely do the sidequests you want to do, the fishing trophies if you like the minigame, see all the endings, and on your Ending C/D runs you can try to speed-kill the bosses for those trophies if you want. The rest are either grind-tastic or gimmicky (like killing 100 sheep total or riding/sitting on a boar for 5 minutes straight).

And don't look at the trophy lists until you've at least completed ending A, since the boss trophies are a bit spoilery.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Yeah, you just have to have all 30 non-DLC weapons, not upgrade any of them.

You'll get all but a handful of the weapons through normal game progression/in dungeons. The last few are from sidequest rewards in part 2:

Labyrinth's Whisper - Quest reward: A Bridge in Peril
Iron Pipe - Quest reward: The Magical Stone or just complete ending B
Labyrinth's Song - Quest reward: Disturbing the sleep of Kings
Labyrinth's Shout - Quest reward: The Damaged Map

Any weapons you miss in part 1 show up on a particular blacksmith in part 2.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 20, 2011

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

So to get to endings C/D I just have to get all the weapons, not upgrade all the weapons, right?

I'm going to avoid trophy lists and spoilers and just get to business then!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

So to get to endings C/D I just have to get all the weapons, not upgrade all the weapons, right?

I'm going to avoid trophy lists and spoilers and just get to business then!

Yeah you just need all the weapons, but you have to full upgrade them all for the plat.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
I grinded 5 eagle eggs because I wanted them for weapon upgrades.

It was a very painful experience, but I got a trophy for it!

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I certainly didn't rush through the game but still got the speedrun trophy on my first playthrough, partly because I didn't feel like doing sidequests and farming upgrades, but mostly because I wanted to see where the plot was going next instead of doing anything optional. I recommend just playing the game and doing whatever you feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
So this might be interesting.

NieR RepliCant is being re-released in an Ultimate Hits version at the end of April. This alone isn't too fascinating, but Play Asia has a curious note in their information section.

Language: English

• Locked thread