Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ian "ProfessorClumsy" Maddison posted:

If I were to adapt Little Red Riding Hood for modern audiences I think I'd attempt to make it into a subtle comedy of etiquette wherein the young girl is desperately trying to appease he grandmother and not offend her with observations of how wolf-like her appearance has become of late. Then the wolf would get all belligerent about how it take its tea and the whole thing would lead to some hilarious misunderstandings.

I would totally watch this. British cast, a 1920's feel, the young flapper from the city trying not to upset her straight-laced, old-money, country grandmother...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

My Younger Sister, concerning Red Riding Hood posted:

It was so good! A big part of the movie is this mystery over who the wolf is, and they keep you guessing right 'til the end. It's a big surprise when it's finally revealed!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Wow, I figured Mars Needs Moms would be terrible, but I just thought aesthetically, not philosophically.

Yeah, that really was a shock. Given the comments about how far apart the film is from Breathed's book, I can only hope there was nothing like that in there; I haven't seen the book, and I'll admit I'm not that familiar with his work in general, but from everything I know about Breathed, I can't imagine that he would have a message like that in there.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Schwarzwald posted:

I kind of agree with this sentiment, though. Both from the trailer and the inevitable comparisons against Twilight I was expecting the "mystery" element to be a complete sham that would get dropped in the first half-hour, but they actually do play it up and try to get you guessing so you have something to think about while all of the nothing-else-interesting is going on. The ultimate reveal was kind of weak--does every goddamn movie with a mystery or twist really need to explain itself with some character blatantly feeding us exposition over flashbacks?--but I thought it was a good attempt.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Vargo, I read the Mars Needs Moms review and was suitably outraged at the message involved, but now I've read the thread over in CI about how terribly it bombed and it gives me some faith in humanity back :unsmith:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Nucular Carmul posted:

Vargo, I read the Mars Needs Moms review and was suitably outraged at the message involved, but now I've read the thread over in CI about how terribly it bombed and it gives me some faith in humanity back :unsmith:

And as a bonus, it looks like they're going to pull the plug on Zemeckis's remake of Yellow Submarine. Happy endings for everyone!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Nucular Carmul posted:

I was upset that I was the only one talking about the message, then I saw that. Looks like not talking about it was the way to go.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Senior Woodchuck posted:

And as a bonus, it looks like they're going to pull the plug on Zemeckis's remake of Yellow Submarine. Happy endings for everyone!

I had no idea such I think was a thing until just now, but I still feel greatly relieved hearing that it was canceled.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Zemeckis is shopping Yellow Submarine to other studios now, apparently, so it's not totally gone yet.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
That Movie of the Week graphic looks pretty nice.

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I find the tone of these reviews enjoyable but also odd in that less than a year ago we had a front page feature run by a guy who constantly used "gay loving human being" as an insult without the tiniest hint of irony and seemed to perfectly embody all of the hella edgey aspects of SA and now suddenly we have... this. It feels as if SA has a huge identity crisis now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

ProfessorClumsy posted:

That Movie of the Week graphic looks pretty nice.

I agree.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Raymondo Person posted:

I find the tone of these reviews enjoyable but also odd in that less than a year ago we had a front page feature run by a guy who constantly used "gay loving human being" as an insult without the tiniest hint of irony and seemed to perfectly embody all of the hella edgey aspects of SA and now suddenly we have... this. It feels as if SA has a huge identity crisis now.

The fifteen year olds who were here when the site was first started are now like 27. It's been happening for a long time, the demographic is growing up.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm not sure I would mind if Current Releases let me know whether, for example, Bradley Cooper is a gay loving human being. Might spice things up.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'll take these things into consideration this week, because Sucker Punch looks completely loving stupid.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

I'll take these things into consideration this week, because Sucker Punch looks completely loving stupid.

YOU look loving stupid.

:colbert:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Martman posted:

I'm not sure I would mind if Current Releases let me know whether, for example, Bradley Cooper is a gay loving human being. Might spice things up.

We could edit it in.

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Nucular Carmul posted:

The fifteen year olds who were here when the site was first started are now like 27. It's been happening for a long time, the demographic is growing up.
This was back in like 2010 though, Occupy Japan made fun of kids on Youtube and called them "gay loving faggots" then condemned the use of racial slurs in the very same entry and no one seemed to have the tiniest issue with this. Oh he also made fun of handicapped people (physical or mental) then said "heh im so goin 2 hell for this ;)" as if that made any difference at all.

It's like SA is constantly going back and forth between stuff like that and Current Releases which are like... polar opposites.

Raymondo Person fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 23, 2011

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Current Releases is certainly a big departure for Something Awful, but the support we're getting from Garbage Day, as well as generally positive responses from readers (with a few exceptions), suggest we're definitely going in the right direction with this.

I'm really starting to feel lately that more people are taking us seriously as critics and getting over the whole "this is on somethingawful.com?" reaction.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It's not just us. I think there's a small outpost of mature satire on the front page in the past year. Hell, I think the Levi Johnson stuff is hilarious. And these two pieces by Zack Parsons are both brilliant.

the party god
Feb 23, 2011
Just want to pipe in and say your reviews all make my morning, I read them right in-between my first two classes of the day.

And I agree with the Mars Needs Moms thing, I was pretty put off by the idea of it and was glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Wow, I figured Mars Needs Moms would be terrible, but I just thought aesthetically, not philosophically.

See this is why I love current releases. I would never go watch Mars Needs Moms but now I know it's a technically and morally abominable movie, something that I wouldnt probably get from most other reviewers.

Raymondo Person posted:

There is definitely a split between the "you should make fun of everything nothing matters" crowd and the more liberal minded people who care about cultural stuff like not using gay/racist slurs or what kind of message does a kids movie have.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 24, 2011

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

niggapolis posted:

There is definitely a split between the "you should make fun of everything nothing matters" crowd and the more liberal minded people who care about cultural stuff like not using gay/racist slurs or what kind of message does a kids movie have.

Let us all hope then that Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules is deeply anti-semitic. I sure am.

The Ace
Oct 28, 2003
Always got an ace up my sleeve

Vargo posted:

I'd actually like to hear more about this idea. Do other people feel this way? What exactly is it that make it seem out of place with the rest of the site?

It just feels out of step with what something awful does/is. Now, SA is a lot of things to a lot of people, but an outlet for movie reviews really doesn't feel like one of them, especially as straight laced and serious as these. I've been on the forums for a long time and a pretty avid reader of the front page, and what I've come to understand about SA is that it is deeply, deeply in the counter-culture side of things. SA triumphs the bizarre, it pigeonholes the normal, and in a brilliant blend of absurdity and farce gives us a view of the world that feels at once deeply detached and yet pressed right up against reality.

Something Awful has always been about being unique and poo-pooing the mainstream. SA blazes its own trail. To do what rotten tomatoes or film drunk does isn't unique and just feels, to be honest, lazy. Plus, the reviews aren't generally very funny and on occasion the advice isn't that great. I saw the green hornet on current releases' word, and I have to say, I wish I'd seen something else.

Now about that humor, for the front page of a comedy website, humor's got to be an important part. In the more juvenile days, there was truthmedia, which would print phony reviews loaded with spelling errors and plot inconsistencies just to elicit the scorn and hatemail of angry nerds. SA would then turn around and print the flamemail, revealing how pathetic and sad these people's lives were when they took the time to write an angry letter about a review that was clearly fake. It was a nice little commentary on internet culture.

So, if the front page is the tip of SA's spear, then it has to be dipped in the signature SA poison: a blend of wit, sarcasm, and parody. For frank discussion and exchange of ideas, there's always been a place for it on the forums, where it lives quite comfortably side by side with SA's unique brand of highjinks and humor.

I guess I'd just expect more Plinket, less Ebert.

The Ace fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 25, 2011

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

The Ace posted:

SA has a long, long history of reviewing things, and, yes, Current Releases is probably the least funny, least spiteful, and most sincere of these features, but the difference isn't as great as you're making it out to be, and to a certain extent the change does reflect the changing tastes of a certain subset of the community.

Plus, I think the uniqueness/subversiveness that you're lamenting as missing is still there; I know when I watched Skyline recently, a movie with 17% on rotten tomatoes, I did so with the absolutely glowing SA review of it in the back of my mind the whole time and had a lot of fun that maybe I wouldn't have had otherwise.

I think people are just weirded out by Current Releases because it's not super mean and elitist like the music reviews generally are, silly like the video game articles generally are, or steeped in loathing like the old school hentai/awful game/awful movie reviews were. That doesn't mean it's not Good.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 25, 2011

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

King of Bleh posted:

SA has a long, long history of reviewing things, and, yes, Current Releases is probably the least funny, least spiteful, and most sincere of these features, but the difference isn't as great as you're making it out to be, and to a certain extent the change does reflect the changing tastes of a certain subset of the community.

I think people are just weirded out by Current Releases because it's not super mean and elitist like the music reviews generally are, silly like the video game articles generally are, or steeped in loathing like the old school hentai/awful game/awful movie reviews were. That doesn't mean it's not Good.

Trust me, we're acutely aware of this. It's not easy trying to marry the SA brand of humor and serious film criticism, and sometimes we may not make it work, but it's an ongoing experiment that we enjoy doing and some people seem to enjoy reading.

Where I think The Ace is wrong is that, yes, we do still try to poke holes in our own corner of the internet. Look at how often we call out "real" film critics for doing some of the stupid poo poo they tend to do. Taking potshots at blurb-whoring critics like Peter Travers and Ben Lyons is kind of our thing. Sure, we could probably call Vince Vaughn an assbutt more often, but would that really make what we do any funnier or more thoughtful? (It might, what do I know?)

I try not to say a whole lot in this thread because I don't want to give the impression that I'm desperate for attention, but this is the kind of feedback that really keeps us focused. We appreciate it, really (you too, The Ace).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think Lauren Kyanka's recent flashtubs are a pretty good example of the range that SA can pull off. However, I do see how some people can feel that SA is "supposed" to be about comedy above all, regardless of whether it's edgy or straightforward or what.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jay Dub posted:

Sure, we could probably call Vince Vaughn an assbutt more often, but would that really make what we do any funnier or more thoughtful? (It might, what do I know?)

I try not to say a whole lot in this thread because I don't want to give the impression that I'm desperate for attention, but this is the kind of feedback that really keeps us focused. We appreciate it, really (you too, The Ace).

I once started a review with "gently caress you, Jennifer Aniston." Does that count?

I do post a lot in this thread (the most, actually) but that's because as "The New Guy" I really feel like I've got the most to prove here, and I thrive on feedback. (Also, I'm a self-promoting rear end in a top hat) I do think it's possible to do the SA style and make genuine statements. Zack Parsons' stuff I mentioned above is kind of what I strive for, but with, y'know, more words.

I don't know, would it be funnier to call actors assdouches more often, or write on why movies that everyone loves suck rear end? "The King's Speech is a bunch of Brit fags, and I don't mean what those cocks call cigarettes. They're cigareetes, you fucks. Speak English." We do fly against popular opinion pretty often, and maybe we could hammer in the funny when we do that.

It's also true that our work's humor depends entirely on what we have to work with. Some movies just aren't as good about providing material as others. Honestly, sometimes with films like Limitless, there just isn't much to say. Hopefully Sucker Punch and Diary of A Wimpy Kid will provide good ammo this week.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

The Ace posted:

It just feels out of step with what something awful does/is. Now, SA is a lot of things to a lot of people, but an outlet for movie reviews really doesn't feel like one of them, especially as straight laced and serious as these. I've been on the forums for a long time and a pretty avid reader of the front page, and what I've come to understand about SA is that it is deeply, deeply in the counter-culture side of things. SA triumphs the bizarre, it pigeonholes the normal, and in a brilliant blend of absurdity and farce gives us a view of the world that feels at once deeply detached and yet pressed right up against reality.

Something Awful has always been about being unique and poo-pooing the mainstream. SA blazes its own trail. To do what rotten tomatoes or film drunk does isn't unique and just feels, to be honest, lazy. Plus, the reviews aren't generally very funny and on occasion the advice isn't that great. I saw the green hornet on current releases' word, and I have to say, I wish I'd seen something else.

Now about that humor, for the front page of a comedy website, humor's got to be an important part. In the more juvenile days, there was truthmedia, which would print phony reviews loaded with spelling errors and plot inconsistencies just to elicit the scorn and hatemail of angry nerds. SA would then turn around and print the flamemail, revealing how pathetic and sad these people's lives were when they took the time to write an angry letter about a review that was clearly fake. It was a nice little commentary on internet culture.

So, if the front page is the tip of SA's spear, then it has to be dipped in the signature SA poison: a blend of wit, sarcasm, and parody. For frank discussion and exchange of ideas, there's always been a place for it on the forums, where it lives quite comfortably side by side with SA's unique brand of highjinks and humor.

My god, that's a lot to put on a silly little website. Have you considered basing your happiness around something more, I don't know, important?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

The Ace posted:

I guess I might be able to understand your complaint if we were removing some feature you enjoyed and replaced it with a feature you disliked, but we're not. We just added something; if you don't like it, then don't read it. We're not taking away any potential enjoyment of the site by introducing additional content, which nobody is forced to read.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Would it satisfy everyone if I turned my Diary of a Wimpy Kid review into an essay about how much I hate my mother?

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Honestly I don't really think every SA writer needs to be needlessly bitter about everything, sneak in unrelated complaints about furries and anime in every entry or be ironically offensive to truly "belong" here but I do think everything could be presented in a more unique way beyond just having different views, praising movies that most critics hated and whatnot. They're technically good reviews but I think they need some kind of unique aspect to them in order to be remembered as more than just "those normal reviews that seem out of place on SA"... as for what that aspect should be, I honestly don't know. But basically I think they need some kind of reasonably memorable defining trait.

niggapolis posted:

It's more about hypocrisy that guy showed, he claimed that white people who use racial slurs are all horrible and yet used gay-related insults and made fun of the disabled all the time.

Unless he's gay and also physically & mentally disabled then I'm not sure how that attitude is not totally hypocritical.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Raymondo Person posted:

They're technically good reviews but I think they need some kind of unique aspect to them in order to be remembered as more than just "those normal reviews that seem out of place on SA"... as for what that aspect should be, I honestly don't know. But basically I think they need some kind of reasonably memorable defining trait.

How do you feel about the Donovan Laird/Montague Smythe character reviews? I have a character in the works as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

King of Bleh posted:

Plus, I think the uniqueness/subversiveness that you're lamenting as missing is still there; I know when I watched Skyline recently, a movie with 17% on rotten tomatoes, I did so with the absolutely glowing SA review of it in the back of my mind the whole time and had a lot of fun that maybe I wouldn't have had otherwise.

The Skyline review is the only thing that made that thing tolerable as I watched it with friends. So if nothing else, thanks to ProfessorClumsy for that.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Gyges posted:

The Skyline review is the only thing that made that thing tolerable as I watched it with friends. So if nothing else, thanks to ProfessorClumsy for that.

I'm still proud of that review.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'd like to thank Vargo for asking me to write the foreward to his upcoming tell-all memoir Making Babies with Vargo. Lord knows he didn't have to, especially after completely ignoring my advice on not making babies with strange women in truckstop bathrooms.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Vargo posted:

How do you feel about the Donovan Laird/Montague Smythe character reviews? I have a character in the works as well.

Smythe is awesome. I can't remember which review it was but he said something about chasing evildoers around while naked and since they ran away they were clearly guilty.

Donovan Laird is great, especially to review movies you know is going to be poo poo/ no one is going to take seriously anyway.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I like you guys. Please keep doing what you're doing.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jay Dub posted:

I'd like to thank Vargo for asking me to write the foreward to his upcoming tell-all memoir Making Babies with Vargo. Lord knows he didn't have to, especially after completely ignoring my advice on not making babies with strange women in truckstop bathrooms.

Those weren't women, they were congressmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

When you get down to it, I think that Current Releases is a good fit for the SA front page because it still manages to be humorous in addition to being a good source for movie reviews, and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of SA is "humor."

As for this week's batch of reviews, comparing jump scares to "FWD: FWD: FWD: SCROLL DOWN FOR SCARY!!!" emails is brilliant and I don't know why no one has made that comparison before. I was a little confused about why Insidious had a higher score than Source Code, though. Vargo said that the last part of Insidious was terrible, while ProfessorClumsy didn't seem to put the ending of Source Code on that level.

• Locked thread