Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

OregonDonor posted:

Are you using Shifter or Biomod? If I remember correctly, both of them fix a bug with the laser.

I've fixed that for you. 100%-accurate-at-all-times pistol off the back of a single weaponmod isn't exactly intended behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OregonDonor posted:

Are you using Shifter or Biomod? If I remember correctly, both of them gimp the laser.

If by "gimp" you mean "fix so that it's actually useful", then yes.

In vanilla, the laser sight has no gameplay effect and points straight ahead regardless of your accuracy.

In Shifter or Biomod, it wobbles all over the place because it's showing you where the shot will actually go. Fire when the dot is over someone's head? Boom, headshot.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've fixed that for you. 100%-accurate-at-all-times pistol off the back of a single weaponmod isn't exactly intended behaviour.
But there are only 7 in the whole game and you can't get the first one for minutes.

ToxicFrog posted:

In vanilla, the laser sight has no gameplay effect
:mmmhmm: (He doesn't know...)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Male Man posted:

When you have the laser on, ignore the sights. The bullet goes exactly where the laser is pointing, and nowhere else.

...Does this mean you can ricochet shots off mirrors?

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

404notfound posted:

The laser doesn't seem to help at all though. Half the time when I'm going for a stealthy kill with the stealth pistol and use the laser, I either miss or get a non-headshot, even if I let the sights settle.

If you have a scope on the same gun, the laser sight will simply not work. You can bring up the dot, but the game ignores it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ToxicFrog posted:

In vanilla, the laser sight has no gameplay effect and points straight ahead regardless of your accuracy.

:laugh:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The laser sight in vanilla has no effect, because I can never remember to turn it on.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

al-azad posted:

I don't know if this was posted yet but Deus Ex GOTY and the sequel are both $4.00 at direct2drive and $3.20 each with "specwar5" promotional code. The promotion ends tomorrow and I don't know how long the DE sale will last but it's been going all week.

Thanks for letting me know about this. Finally have procured this classic game. Though why the hell does Direct2Drive charge tax?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Spaz Medicine posted:

If you have a scope on the same gun, the laser sight will simply not work. You can bring up the dot, but the game ignores it.

Son of a bitch, is that what it was? Still learning new things about this game...

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Why the gently caress did it take me until Everett's pad to remember that in Biomod duplicate canisters work as upgrades for installed augs? Also, working far beyond its intended range with the crossbow is fun; getting real good at estimating those high arcs now.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

In Shifter or Biomod, it wobbles all over the place because it's showing you where the shot will actually go. Fire when the dot is over someone's head? Boom, headshot.

Oh, it's the other way around. I haven't played vanilla in so long that I couldn't honestly remember.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Is there any way to know how many credits you have? I can't seem to find one.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Top right of your inventory screen dude.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OregonDonor posted:

Oh, it's the other way around. I haven't played vanilla in so long that I couldn't honestly remember.

Nope. In vanilla, if you put the laser on without putting a scope on as well your bullets would go where the laser was regardless of your skill, giving you incredible pinpoint accuracy without weapon sway. It owned.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

3 posted:

Nope. In vanilla, if you put the laser on without putting a scope on as well your bullets would go where the laser was regardless of your skill, giving you incredible pinpoint accuracy without weapon sway. It owned.

That explains it; my first playthrough I only ever put the laser sight on stuff I'd already scoped, it didn't seem to do anything, and on subsequent (pre-Shifter/BM) plays I just didn't bother with them.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

The way that Renton says "Oh Sandra. Jesus, oh Sandra" cracks me up every time.

Gadaffi Duck
Jan 1, 2011

by Ozmaugh
What a shame.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Madman Theory posted:

What a shame.

What conversation is that a quote from again?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I think JC says that if either Sandra or her father go down during the fight with JoJo.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Captain Novolin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

(I have never beaten deus ex, I just got past the underwater base things)

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Well that explains it, in my half dozen or so playthroughs I always saved both of them.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Going lethal isn't exactly satisfying in this game, though I'm left with little choice when clearing out my inventory before every level. :sigh:

Also, was the knife always able to keep someone locked down in a flinching animation? Or was this biomod's doing. I only remember reading that the assault rifle could stunlock people.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The poisoned knife shifter adds in does that. It's found at Smuggler's.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Poisoned knife? No, but now I'm curious. This is just the basic knife, each hit "stuns" them for roughly a second. I just don't remember being able to go toe to toe with an enemy and come out unharmed.

edit: Wait, I wouldn't be able to keep the unique knife. :sbahj:

Trilin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 22, 2011

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Why are you complaining about non-lethal being no fun when you are also doing a no-items run, the least fun run of all?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Are there many situations in the game where you can get stuck? So far I've found two; crossing the barriers in the Hong Kong canal tunnel using a barrel (if you didn't have the speed aug there'd be no way to get back over the black & yellow fence), and calling up/jumping on the dumbwaiter from Beth Duclare's bedroom (you get stuck in a few inches of space but don't die).

More important: I've made it non-lethal all the way (while still downing every single enemy in the game) to the last Area 51 segment and now I have Simons on my back. Is there a way to avoid him again? I tried pumping him full of tranq darts while he's still friendly, hitting Cloak as soon as he turns hostile, but nothing works. Gonna start the whole segment over now leaving the bots intact, running away from Simons and up the tower at full speed, then try scramble grenades. One thing is certain; my next run will be with a tank JC killing absolutely everything that moves while in full sight, smashing up the furniture, busting out all windows, making as much noise as possible.

All in all, I think there's only one way the original DE could have had better replay value, and that would be random contents of crates, desks, lockers, etc. Not knowing exactly where to find what would really make it the perfect game.

Re. Shifter's unique weaponry; Lo Bruto with explosive ammo makes hacking past the trained level useless. You just pop cameras and turrets with one shot.

And finally, are spy drones great fun or what? Never used them before, but as I don't have a GEP gun or LAW on this run they've been a godsend. Now that I think of it, perhaps I could use one to deplete Simons's bio energy while he's still holed up. I tried a barrier of EMP grenades, but he won't advance far enough to trigger them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

You can just avoid simons by taking the alternate route in. You can't knock him out IIRC.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Yeah or just run away.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
In the end I didn't want to avoid him completely, so I hit him with a tranq dart after shooting him 5 times with explosive ammo. To my surprise he started running directly towards the bot I'd just scrambled; very satisfying solution.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I don't think "boss" characters can run out of bioenergy, or if they can, they don't need it to use their defensive augs. I remember completely going to town on Gunther with several canisters of flamethrower napalm, three or four EMP grenades, and at least a half-dozen gas grenades, and he still showed the little energy-shield effect depicting augmented resistance to a particular attack (he also gave exactly zero shits when I tried to finish him off with a tranq dart).

You basically can't non-lethally defeat (read: tranquilize or otherwise KO) any of the augmented bosses. That doesn't mean you have to kill them though, except for Anna, unless you want to use AI glitches to get past her (in which case she dies anyway because I guess she performs seppuku or something).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Underflow posted:

More important: I've made it non-lethal all the way (while still downing every single enemy in the game) to the last Area 51 segment and now I have Simons on my back. Is there a way to avoid him again? I tried pumping him full of tranq darts while he's still friendly, hitting Cloak as soon as he turns hostile, but nothing works.

What I did on my non-lethal run was fire a GEP round right next to him. It instantly put him into the low health run away mode and I just waltzed into Area 51 like a boss.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Underflow posted:

Are there many situations in the game where you can get stuck? So far I've found two; crossing the barriers in the Hong Kong canal tunnel using a barrel (if you didn't have the speed aug there'd be no way to get back over the black & yellow fence), and calling up/jumping on the dumbwaiter from Beth Duclare's bedroom (you get stuck in a few inches of space but don't die).

I'm pretty sure you can make the game unwinnable on the Wallfish too, by using up all your LAMs and disposing of every crate and barrel of boom on the level, but you really need to work at it.

quote:

Re. Shifter's unique weaponry; Lo Bruto with explosive ammo makes hacking past the trained level useless. You just pop cameras and turrets with one shot.

Where the hell do you find explosive 10mm? I've never found any.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

You basically can't non-lethally defeat (read: tranquilize or otherwise KO) any of the augmented bosses.

I've done it to Gunther (knocked out), but I have no idea about Simons being vulnerable: The last couple playthroughs I've done I just send a LAW to his face and watch the bits fly. I would suspect it would work for him as well though, it'd just take the majority of your riot prod's charges (if not all of them).

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

ToxicFrog posted:

There isn't very much in the game. As far as I know, the only guaranteed place you can find some are 12 rounds in the supertanker. If you're lucky, you can find some in the pockets of your hapless victims.

And, of course, it's Shifter only.

Fun fact, you'll end up with more on Unrealistic mode because you can loot it before you find your first box.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

ToxicFrog posted:

I didn't keep track of where it showed up first, but it's definitely on some of the MJ12 troopers. Enough to end up with 5 magazines before the last 4 or 5 levels. Great for quickly taking out cams, turrets, aliens, and transgenic wildlife.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
And of course I miss a failure notice back in the MJ12 lab and then keep going for another two hours or so. Oh well, I'm going to start over and keep it non-lethal this time. :emo:

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

There will be two boxes in your office after the Airport mission if you've done some of the previous missions lethally. I think you need to clear out Castle Clinton and the Battery Park subway, but I'm not sure if those are the only flags. After you get your first box, it can turn up randomly on corpses.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm a terrible cheater and like to cheat. Any idea what the console command would be to spawn some? Edit: The 10mm explosive ammo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 23, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

XausF1 posted:

It's absolutely amazing but if you can't stand JRPGs than don't even bother.

I hate JRPGs and loved Anachronox. The gameplay's very JRPG but it has actual characters and a story that makes sense, so I think it works better for a gaijin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Grand Fromage posted:

I hate JRPGs and loved Anachronox. The gameplay's very JRPG but it has actual characters and a story that makes sense, so I think it works better for a gaijin.

I'm going to agree with this, but I'm not going to use the word gaijin because it makes the sentiment sound defensive, like it's a bad thing to hate JRPGs. (JRPGs are bad)