Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Folks, I'm coming to you on behalf of the wife. She is 39 weeks and this morning started getting "stomach pains" as she called them. She said they aren't painful really things just get tight like Braxton Hicks.

The last three times she has had them have been 10:03, 10:13 and 10:21.

Could this be it?

Edit: 10:30, 10:43

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

MarshallX posted:

Folks, I'm coming to you on behalf of the wife. She is 39 weeks and this morning started getting "stomach pains" as she called them. She said they aren't painful really things just get tight like Braxton Hicks.

The last three times she has had them have been 10:03, 10:13 and 10:21.

Could this be it?

Edit: 10:30

Call your OBGYN?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

bamzilla posted:

Call your OBGYN?

Good idea, we have a weekly appointment in a few hours as well.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
There's no time! You're going to have to deliver this baby yourself!
Youtube has some great tutorials. Good luck.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Tatiana posted:

There's no time! You're going to have to deliver this baby yourself!
Youtube has some great tutorials. Good luck.

Haha :)

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Thanks so much for your advice and support. I'm feeling much better about being pregnant, and starting to feel like being a mom might be something I'm going to be good at. I also feel super-lucky to be pregnant while we're living in Canada, since apparently I'm not going to have to pay for a drat thing. Also, it's fun to tease my Tea Party relatives that not only are we going to have a Canadian in the family, we're going to use public health care to do it. Ha!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

Phooney posted:

I needed to "fold his arms in". WTF? Fold your own loving arms in you god damned weirdo.

This made me actually laugh my rear end off. I'm glad I was home alone :D

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?

bamzilla posted:

Now that our kid's older and has gross poops we only use it for poop diapers and pee diapers go straight into the trash.

Hey thats a good idea!

Maybe this is a really stupidly naive question but can't one just throw the diapers in the big trash can outside?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Well sure, but it's not always convenient to go out to the big trash can every time you change a diaper.

Also, all diapers, disposable or otherwise, are supposed to have poop rinsed/shaken off of them and flushed down the toilet before they're thrown in the trash. I doubt most people know that or practice it, but most diaper manufacturer's websites talk about it, though it usually takes a lot of digging to find it.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 18, 2011

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Good idea, we have a weekly appointment in a few hours as well.

You're probably good to wait til your appointment. Have her lie down and relax and see if they taper off.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MoCookies posted:

Thanks so much for your advice and support. I'm feeling much better about being pregnant, and starting to feel like being a mom might be something I'm going to be good at. I also feel super-lucky to be pregnant while we're living in Canada, since apparently I'm not going to have to pay for a drat thing. Also, it's fun to tease my Tea Party relatives that not only are we going to have a Canadian in the family, we're going to use public health care to do it. Ha!

:laffo: Tea Party relatives.

My partner was bemoaning the quality of post-partum care at Mt Sinai in Toronto, a fair complaint because everything up to and including delivery was world-class. Then we remembered that if we were 100miles south we would have a $15,000 bill in our hands and it really made us thankful to be Canadian.

In other new parent news, I just watched my 5-day old roll over onto her stomach all by herself for the first time. Does that seem early to anyone else? I'm swelling with pride and terrified all at once.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

In other new parent news, I just watched my 5-day old roll over onto her stomach all by herself for the first time. Does that seem early to anyone else? I'm swelling with pride and terrified all at once.

That does happen sometimes, G did it at 9 days old and at 12 days old rolled all the way across my bed, but then didn't repeat it for several months. Usually when they do it that young they didn't mean to and have no idea how to do it again.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

chknflvrdramen posted:

That does happen sometimes, G did it at 9 days old and at 12 days old rolled all the way across my bed, but then didn't repeat it for several months. Usually when they do it that young they didn't mean to and have no idea how to do it again.

Same happened to us, though Cecilia did start rolling from tummy to back consistently around 9 weeks. It was a little surprising!

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks so much, Tatiana, for your post on side-carring a crib. I have no idea what happened but three nights ago she started sleeping the whole night through on her own in the bassinet with little to no fussing. Go figure!

Foxatee, at the very end of my pregnancy, my blood pressure got moderately high as well, mind you I was also at 39 weeks. My midwife recommended that I take a daily epsom salt bath to help lower it. She says that they recomend it for all women who have high blood pressure. Mind you, it isn't a cure all, mostly just an aid. I did it but I'm not sure if it made a difference because I ended up delivering Zoey four days later.

MoCookies, our daughter was very much planned and very much wanted and yet, I was extremely ambivalent about being pregnant and at times, I pretty much hated it. And I was NOT a silent sufferer. Some people handled my honesty well and others didn't. I figured if someone couldn't handle my not being elated about being pregnant then they weren't the type of person I would noramlly seek support from anyway and their opinion didn't really matter much to me anyway. The best advice I can give you is just to try to roll with it and enjoy it for what it is. I never thought I would say this but at times, I actually miss being pregnant!

And yeah, Canadian health care rocks! Are you going to qualify for EI benefits?

edit: correction of BBCodes

A Serious Woman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 19, 2011

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

chknflvrdramen posted:

Ditto. Midget did it at around a month a couple times but didn't do it again for a few months after that. Liam just hurled himself onto his side last night; he's two weeks today.

Edit: Question--Uneven milk production. I have noticed that my right side way out-produces my left. I would chalk it up to uneven stimulation or something (even though I really try to keep them even), but I also noticed it when I pumped exclusively for Midget. I noticed it this time since I'm pumping once or twice a day as well as nursing directly. Is this normal? Does it matter? I only care this time since I'm actually nursing--before I didn't care because I figured it was all going into the same bottle anyway, regardless of source. Should I let Liam on the right (heavier) side longer? Or the left (lighter) side longer to prompt it to make more? Or just not worry about it?

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 19, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

A Serious Woman posted:

[b]MoCookies[\b], our daughter was very much planned and very much wanted and yet, I was extremely ambivalent about being pregnant and at times, I pretty much hated it. And I was NOT a silent sufferer. Some people handled my honesty well and others didn't. I figured if someone couldn't handle my not being elated about being pregnant then they weren't the type of person I would noramlly seek support from anyway and their opinion didn't really matter much to me anyway. The best advice I can give you is just to try to roll with it and enjoy it for what it is. I never thought I would say this but at times, I actually miss being pregnant!

And yeah, Canadian health care rocks! Are you going to qualify for EI benefits?

We're in Quebec, so we'll actually be using QPIP instead of EI. I was shocked when I found out how much money we'll get through Quebec's parental insurance. We've been here less than a year, so we're still figuring out how all this stuff actually works. I do love that they (QPIP) is so generous to dads too, not just moms. It's nice to know that we should be able to make ends meet even if he needs to stay home for a long time to help take care of me and the baby. I'm curious how long other families use EI and QPIP.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

AlistairCookie posted:

Edit: Question--Uneven milk production. I have noticed that my right side way out-produces my left. I would chalk it up to uneven stimulation or something (even though I really try to keep them even), but I also noticed it when I pumped exclusively for Midget. I noticed it this time since I'm pumping once or twice a day as well as nursing directly. Is this normal? Does it matter? I only care this time since I'm actually nursing--before I didn't care because I figured it was all going into the same bottle anyway, regardless of source. Should I let Liam on the right (heavier) side longer? Or the left (lighter) side longer to prompt it to make more? Or just not worry about it?

Just don't worry about it. Very normal.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

AlistairCookie posted:

Ditto. Midget did it at around a month a couple times but didn't do it again for a few months after that. Liam just hurled himself onto his side last night; he's two weeks today.

My right breast always puts out more than my left. I think that's pretty normal.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

Uneven milk production.

My righty is the deadbeat. I'd offer both breasts at each feed, starting with the one that produces less if your baby will let you.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MoCookies posted:

I'm curious how long other families use EI and QPIP.

I think Ontario isn't quite as généreux as Quebec, but my partner is taking 4 months and I'm going to take the the other 7.5 months as parental leave EI. Which means I'll be a stay at home dad from roughly July 1 until mid-Feb next year. I'm so loving psyched for it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DaemonWyrm posted:

Hey thats a good idea!

Maybe this is a really stupidly naive question but can't one just throw the diapers in the big trash can outside?

I know a lot of people won't do it because if you leave random pieces of ungathered trash in your main trash bin it'd likely end up on the street or your yard when the garbage men collect - especially if they use one of those trucks with the automated arms that just dumps the bin into the truck.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
And not to sound gross, but putting lots of disposable diapers loose in a big outside trash can seems like it would invite a lot of hungry animals and bugs.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
We throw ours in our trash can and haven't run into any problems with animals or bugs. Our trash can is plastic, with a pretty heavy lid. It also sits right outside our back door for most of the week, so we just need to open a door, flip the lid, and toss it in. Most times I don't even need to step out of the house, just lean over. We had a diaper genie-type thing but it stopped keeping the stank out, so we just started throwing them in the big trash can.

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010

MoCookies posted:

We're in Quebec, so we'll actually be using QPIP instead of EI. I was shocked when I found out how much money we'll get through Quebec's parental insurance. We've been here less than a year, so we're still figuring out how all this stuff actually works. I do love that they (QPIP) is so generous to dads too, not just moms. It's nice to know that we should be able to make ends meet even if he needs to stay home for a long time to help take care of me and the baby. I'm curious how long other families use EI and QPIP.

We live in Ottawa and it really burns me that if we lived across the freaking river in Quebec my husband would have received his own benefits under QPIP. As it stands, he was able to take three weeks off with me by using a combination of vacation and sick time. It was better than nothing I suppose but I could have used him at home with me longer than that considerng we have no family living in the area. I'm planning on taking the first six months and my husband will use the last six months. I'll be going back to work just after labour day and I have to say, I'm awfully glad it worked out that I'll be getting the summer off!

Question about gas. Zoey seems to be really gassy all the time and sometimes, she seems like shes in pain. I try burping her often when I feed her but she almost never burps. We tried gripe water last night and I think it made a difference. How often can you use gripe water? I would also prefer not to use it as a long term solution either. She's a month old today so I'm hoping it'll get better as her digestive tract develops?

Also, I had no idea how to post photos until now. So, I present Zoey Scarlett at five days old:

And here she is just shy of a month:

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

MoCookies, I'm in Montreal and I'm taking 50 weeks through QPIP and my husband is taking 5, plus a week or so that will be paid through his work.

Also, depending on what you do for a living, the Quebec government (the CSST) may pay you 90% of your salary to not work, so ask your doctor about a "Preventive Withdrawal and Reassignment Certificate for a Pregnant or Breast-feeding Worker". If your Dr. feels that your job carries any risk for your baby they will fill this out and have another Dr. consult and sign off on it... Then you send it off to the CSST, and your employer has to either adjust/reduce your tasks (with no penalty in pay) for the remainder of your pregnancy, or you get put on paid preventive withdrawal. Quebec may be annoying in some ways but it is a great place to have a baby.

Longpig fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 19, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

Question about gas. Zoey seems to be really gassy all the time and sometimes, she seems like shes in pain. I try burping her often when I feed her but she almost never burps. We tried gripe water last night and I think it made a difference. How often can you use gripe water? I would also prefer not to use it as a long term solution either. She's a month old today so I'm hoping it'll get better as her digestive tract develops?

Also, I had no idea how to post photos until now. So, I present Zoey Scarlett at five days old:

And here she is just shy of a month:

Well first of all, she's gorgeous! What a lovely girl!

Secondly, Cecilia was really gassy too, so we dealt with this too. Time is the biggest factor that helps, by around 3-4 months old she'd really outgrown a lot of it. But here are some of the things that did help:

* Wearing her upright in the wrap or after eating. It really helped the burps move upwards and the gas come out the other end, since her legs were froggied up in the wrap
* Lots of time on the changing table (or wherever you prefer) doing knees to belly. Over and over again, slowly but with fairly firm pressure into her belly. She'd fart and fart and fart, and I wouldn't stop until she was done! Then repeat it a couple of hours later.
* For actual burping, I found that sitting her on my leg, leaning her front (at first under her chin, but as her neck got stronger just on her chest) against my hand and burping with the other hand. Also, a lot of times, firm rubs upwards worked better than pats.
* As a final resort, if you notice other symptoms other than the gassiness, like mucousy poops, it might be time to look into an elimination diet for you. Sometimes extreme gassiness and other symptoms mean a sensitivity to food, and the biggest one for babies is dairy.

I hope those help you!

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Diaper pail discussion -- We have two of these, and we really like them. They use regular trash bags. They're kinda small, I guess, and at the beginning when the diaper changing was neverending we would have to change the bag daily, but now it's no big deal. The only problem I've encountered is that they are extremely top heavy, and won't stay up on their own when open and empty (while changing the bag), but that's easily remedied by putting them right in front of something and letting the top lean against it (like a dresser or a wall). Other than that though, the fact that they use regular trash bags, don't smell at all(yet -- we haven't started solids, though), and are sturdily built make them excellent diaper pails, in my opinion.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Randomity posted:

Diaper pail discussion -- We have two of these, and we really like them. They use regular trash bags. They're kinda small, I guess, and at the beginning when the diaper changing was neverending we would have to change the bag daily, but now it's no big deal. The only problem I've encountered is that they are extremely top heavy, and won't stay up on their own when open and empty (while changing the bag), but that's easily remedied by putting them right in front of something and letting the top lean against it (like a dresser or a wall). Other than that though, the fact that they use regular trash bags, don't smell at all(yet -- we haven't started solids, though), and are sturdily built make them excellent diaper pails, in my opinion.

I started with one of those. It worked great for about the first 2 years. After that, it just seemed like stink had sort of seeped into the plastic so it was sort of smelly. Also, at a certain point your kid figures out how to put things in the top and flip it to make it magically disappear and you have to start fishing action figures out of the damned thing. It seemed like he found it WAY more interesting to put things in that than to put things in a regular trash can.

We ended up switching to a regular kitchen trash can with a push button lid and we were emptying it maybe twice a week. Then, since Liam's room is right near the front door anyway, I stuck it right outside the door and now I only empty it on trash night.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Longpig posted:

MoCookies, I'm in Montreal and I'm taking 50 weeks through QPIP and my husband is taking 5, plus a week or so that will be paid through his work.

Also, depending on what you do for a living, the Quebec government (the CSST) may pay you 90% of your salary to not work, so ask your doctor about a "Preventive Withdrawal and Reassignment Certificate for a Pregnant or Breast-feeding Worker". If your Dr. feels that your job carries any risk for your baby they will fill this out and have another Dr. consult and sign off on it... Then you send it off to the CSST, and your employer has to either adjust/reduce your tasks (with no penalty in pay) for the remainder of your pregnancy, or you get put on paid preventive withdrawal. Quebec may be annoying in some ways but it is a great place to have a baby.

Speaking of CSST, do they send their checks monthly or bi-weekly? I received mine yesterday and it said it was for February 26 to March 10. My work paid me for the 3 weeks before that so I wasn't sure if that check was just filling out the rest of that month.

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?

Fionnoula posted:

We ended up switching to a regular kitchen trash can with a push button lid and we were emptying it maybe twice a week. Then, since Liam's room is right near the front door anyway, I stuck it right outside the door and now I only empty it on trash night.

The more research I do on diaper pails the more it seems like this is what happens no matter what pail you start off with. My worry too is with the twins we're going to be going through twice the number of fancy refills, twice the number of bag changes, and theoretically half the shelf life smell wise so maybe I'll just buy a couple of sturdy cans like these and just bleach as needed.

Babies sure need a lot of stuff...

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

DaemonWyrm posted:

The more research I do on diaper pails the more it seems like this is what happens no matter what pail you start off with. My worry too is with the twins we're going to be going through twice the number of fancy refills, twice the number of bag changes, and theoretically half the shelf life smell wise so maybe I'll just buy a couple of sturdy cans like these and just bleach as needed.

Babies sure need a lot of stuff...

That sounds like the best option to me. We buy our kitchen trash liners at Costco in bulk, and they're both cheap and strong. :)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I have a Diaper Champ that's going on 5 years old. I have bleached the poo poo out of it (heh) and set it out in the sun to dry and destinkify and it still smells. I'm thinking of getting rid of the drat thing and doing the kitchen can business. The Champ was really great before it started to smell like a landfill, though.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Somewhere I read awhile ago about not getting your eyes checked while pregnant (something about extra fluids give off inaccurate readings??). How soon after having the baby do you need to wait to get your eyes checked so they will be accurate? Does it matter if you are nursing? The last time I had my eyes checked was in March of 2007, so I'm obviously due, but I just want to make sure I get an accurate exam since I am going to be buying glasses as mine are totally trashed, and I'd hate to buy some only to have my eyes change more.

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011
I believe they had me wait until 6 months postpartum to check my eyes again. I go yearly due to Lasik surgery. I was told not at all during the 3rd trimester - due to the changes you described - and then not for 6 months.

I nursed and went at six months, so I don't think that should be a problem.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!
I had to get my eyes checked early in my second trimester. I was having a ton of horrible migraines and my OB wanted to rule out just needing an updated contact lens prescription. I did, and it helped a little, but didn't end up being the root problem.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
I am due for an eye exam as well but my eye dr told me to wait because it's more than likely that my prescription will change and insurance won't cover the re-exam and the new glasses, so you'll be out the money. It's no big deal for waiting, but I did need more contacts :(

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

My wife's family has a history of blighted ovum so she has been booked in for an early ultrasound this Friday, which will put her at 6.5 weeks.

This is our first pregnancy, but the wiki article on the issue mentions that an ultrasound cannot detect a blighted ovum, so it sounds like it's a pointless exercise?

I was under the impression that at this stage they need to be looking for a (faint) heartbeat, is that also something they will attempt during the ultrasound?

I just re-read it and I was wrong, oops :o:

Low Percent Lunge fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 22, 2011

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
IIRC, everyone went hog wild for the moby wrap. Are there any other carriers out there I should consider?

Also, is it worth it to have a changing table? We were thinking of just getting the changing pad instead of spending :megabux: on a whole table. Are we being needlessly frugal?

My husband's cousin's wife highly recommended we get a Boppy and a bebePod. Does anyone own these? Exactly how useful are they? Reviews seem to be great, but again: we'd rather not buy unnecessary items.

====

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. We'll see if my blood pressure has gone down. Hopefully Peanut is okay in there. :ohdear:

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Based on the due date Calendar, there's going to be a ton of goon-babies in the next couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

foxatee posted:

IIRC, everyone went hog wild for the moby wrap. Are there any other carriers out there I should consider?

Also, is it worth it to have a changing table? We were thinking of just getting the changing pad instead of spending :megabux: on a whole table. Are we being needlessly frugal?

My husband's cousin's wife highly recommended we get a Boppy and a bebePod. Does anyone own these? Exactly how useful are they? Reviews seem to be great, but again: we'd rather not buy unnecessary items.

I hated my Moby wrap and ended up with an Ergo. Most people like the Moby though :) I think paxbaby.com is a good site to check for babywearing options. I don't have a changing table... we mostly change him on a blanket on the floor now. Don't have to worry about him falling that way at least! Most of my friends have tables, however. I figure we have less to store later on, heh.

I have a Boppy and I love it. I use it for everything except nursing. It's great to prop babies up with, especially when they're first starting to get head control and sit -- it catches them if they fall backwards.

I have a bebePod (like a bumbo). We used it maybe 10 times. It's fun for a bit, but doesn't last long before they're sitting up alone. If you can find a nice one used, that's the best route!

Good luck at your appointment!