Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Option B. Get the interference out of subtler plans, whilst keeping the strategic insight as and when you need it. Don't burn bridges that you may need to retreat across, in the event that the road ahead is a one-way ticket to crazy interferenceville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Option B.

No need to be completely rash with a potentially useful future tool, after all. Can't undo death.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hob_Gadling posted:

So... did the Colonel's son make it or not? MVPs for Engine Joe and Zhukov tank respectively.

Curious about this too - there's a bet to settle! If it's down to odds based on the number of non-combatants killed it's only a 25% chance he lived, but if he was low on the list being so important he might still be okay!

Anyway, political vote I say Option A. Things will become a whole lot more messy in the Confederation with a dead Chancellor, and I'm curious at the opportunities for blowback.

Can I say that the whole hostage situation scenario, while a clever and well-run scenario, was also pretty gruelling? I mean it sounds like it was pretty gruelling to run and participate in, but also to read. There's something painfully disheartening about watching a hostage counter tick down, especially when it's governed by chance and is the one apparent exception to claims of "protagonist luck".

Still a really great fight with an exciting outcome, and gripping 'till the end, but hopefully our next few fights will be a little more glorious and a little less tragic.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Option A, this story obviously need more murder :colbert:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Voting Option B, because having an institutionalized, drugged-to-the-gills Max sign off on all your plans puts a valuable layer of insulation between you and any future fuckups.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Assassinate him like any true Death Commando would do. :ninja:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Goddamnit I always confuse timelines and this alternate universe. So Justin is on the CC's side for realz this time or? Argh, my head hurts!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Curious about this too - there's a bet to settle! If it's down to odds based on the number of non-combatants killed it's only a 25% chance he lived, but if he was low on the list being so important he might still be okay!

Scenario says he'd be the last hostage killed, period. We still have other live hostages.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I think Option B is the most politically interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
B is too close to "reality" so I vote for Option A: hillarious murder.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Small question: Is the Capellan political system such that overwhelming proof of the emperor's unsound mind can actually dethrone him? I can't remember, but without an emphatic yes I can't vote for B.
Neither can I vote for A for many of the reasons already mentioned against the option.

The only other worthwhile option is E, but it's actually a pretty good option (if Justin survives). The best outcome is a Max and a Justin working together. Justin's got a sharp mind and, while batshit, Max has his moments. With greater communication Justin will know when Max's crazy interferes with his plans allowing Justin to mitigate the effects. And when Max's genius appears Justin can add to it.

If we choose either A or B we're separating the only two leaders Capella has going for it. We need to keep them together but enhance their cooperation. All three options have the possibility of death/failure for Justin, but certainly having ole Max around better than a defunct Romano (seriously what good has she ever done?) even if she is merely a puppet of Justin.

E plus Engine Joe and the Zuchov.

Engine Joe inspired and galvanized the Caballeros beyond the motivation already present. The fan content evidences this claim.
The Zuchov not only did the most damage, the most consistent damage, and in the most crucial areas but garners pride and respect for the unsung heroes of mech combat: vehicles. Without the Zuchov the wee ones would still be viewing tanks as the fragile, understrength battle implements that the first battle made them appear to be.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Choice B is the best one - it leaves Justin with leverage on both members of the house, and that's a good position to be in.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I'm going to have to vote for Option A

If Max is already interfering because he feels left out, shoving him into a closet politically is only going to make him madder. He'll still have friends out there, and then it'll be Justin who has to watch out for the backstab. Better to just strike first, and strike decisively.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Option A. Don't leave potential danger lying around, put it out of your misery. Also, we desperately need more assassinations and instability in the Liao realm, because that little sliver of green at the bottom of the map always annoyed me to no end.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Going with Option B

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Right now the results stand as follows:

A: 21
B: 22
E: 4

The answer is obviously 'do both.' Do something fatal to him in his retirement.

This is why the Clans are awesome. If the CC was a clan we could just stick him in a Solahma Unit.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 22, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Lets go with A.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
A with a side order of contingency plans: Get Romano pregnant ASAP, so that if she ends up being uncontrollable, he can arrange an 'accident' and reign as Regent until his child is of age.

Given that Justin owns the Maskirova, that shouldn't be too hard to arrange.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

go with A The capellans prefer their leaders to be crazy like a fox not crazy like a random lunatic, Once Max's instability has been eliminated the Capellan state can march on to glory under Sun Tzu Xiang-Liao (obviously after romano has an unfortunate accident leaning over the baby crib)

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Oh man, what a choice. B seems more pragmatic, but A seems like a better chance to set up some Shakespearean drama, as I imagine there are enough things in place to make Justin regret that choice. However, that is more personal than political drama, and B is likely enough to result in more intrigue, somehow.

At any rate, it doesn't feel like Justin seems committed to Romano's ambitions just yet, and B looks like it could play out in any number of interesting ways. So I'll vote for it.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

However, that is more personal than political drama, and B is likely enough to result in more intrigue, somehow.

Personal drama is what drives the backstory in Battletech anyway - Justin taking over the Confederation for the sole purpose of revenge on Hanse Davion is right in line with that.

Also Justin Xiang is loving awesome. :hellyeah:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
There are entirely to many people voting for B, and far too few voting E.

Since I'd rather see Maximillian Liao dead (with a side order of Justin dead when Romano kills him/people loyal to Max kill him/dead during the assassination,) than old Max put up in the nuthouse, I am changing my vote to A, lest cooler heads prevail.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 22, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Kenlon posted:

Personal drama is what drives the backstory in Battletech anyway - Justin taking over the Confederation for the sole purpose of revenge on Hanse Davion is right in line with that.

Also Justin Xiang is loving awesome. :hellyeah:

I've only read one third of the first book, but isn't Justin a deep undercover spy? What's different in this alternate universe?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Affi posted:

I've only read one third of the first book, but isn't Justin a deep undercover spy? What's different in this alternate universe?

He went off the deep end and genuinely went Capellan. You know that whole thing about "gaze too long into the Abyss and the Abyss gazes back?" In this case, it's "spend too much time in Imperial Space China and become authentic Imperial Space Chinese."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
^^^^^^^^^
I thought it was ambigious whether he was one or not

Affi posted:

no candice this time, so no real reason to be a double agent, we have no idea if he is.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 22, 2011

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gothsheep posted:

Mmm...Option A. If you're going to strike, strike decisively. A Maximilian with a wounded reputation can strike you again later. A Maximilian who is killed will remain killed.

Your goal should be to quickly and decisively resolve the situation, not to resolve it delicately.

Depends on what the situation actually is.

Am I the only one who suspects Romano was the one who switched the orders, not Maximilian? What better way to get Justin to give in and give her what she wants?

Since there's no F option (confirm independently that Maximilian was responsible before acting), I vote B on the grounds that it puts Justin in a stronger position and leaves him a possible ally against Romano in the future.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Affi posted:

He totally still is. His objective is to secure the throne for Romano so that the marriage between Hanse Davion and Romano Liao will create a super-state that will take over the entire IS. The Federated Confederation will emerge victorious!

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Given the context of what's been happening in this thread hilarious death is clearly what's needed here and B is far too reasonable. Voting A.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm going with B, keeps options open. After all you can't put a dead person back on the throne if it turns out Romano was lying her rear end off.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'm voting option B. It's obvious that Maxi Liao has been senile since he was 20. Also, Romano is senile too. Also, anyone who disagrees with the first two statements is senile. Good thing Justin is here to get all these senile people out of power. Thank gods for that.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

KnoxZone posted:

He totally still is. His objective is to secure the throne for Romano so that the marriage between Hanse Davion and Romano Liao will create a super-state that will take over the entire IS. The Federated Confederation will emerge victorious!

I would like to state for the record that I completely endorse and half suspect this is the case. And the Federated Confederation is just way too awesome a name to not use. Maybe at the wedding Duke Hasek's mutilated body can be worked into the decorations? :haw:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

No way. He's too busy hitting that himself.

The crazy ones are the best in bed, y'know. Justin doesn't strike me as the kind of character to share, not with for a cool cat like the Fox.....

Oh gods. Now I've got the image in my head of a batshit-crazy, leather-and-lace 'clad' Romano Liao being spitroasted by Hanse taking the rear shot and Justin taking repeated head shots with his metal arm clenching her hair. :aaaaa:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'll go with Option A. Hilarious carnage is good for reading. Plus the irony of Space Chinese Children murdering their folks after the Space Chinese murdered the Space Mexicano families is very nice.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PTN?

Please update. This will only go worse from here.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Tempest_56 posted:

PTN?

Please update. This will only go worse from here.

I Second. :stare:

edit: Maybe if we're lucky we can get a Capellan Civil War going thanks to our actions! :neckbeard:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
:stare: I can't imagine that actually, it's like a blank spot, like a canoe next to a street lamp in london.
If you don't kill max's clone in A, then we get a more awesome civil war where his clone stuck in an insane asylum is used by the houses to open a 3rd front

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

edit: Maybe if we're lucky we can get a Capellan Civil War going thanks to our actions! :neckbeard:

I know, right? That would definitely further the agenda of the Fox. :keke:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This galactic clusterfuck is brought to you by the letter B.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

Scenario says he'd be the last hostage killed, period. We still have other live hostages.

Well, that settles it then! Hob, you owe me one account upgrade! I don't actually know how that works, to be honest, I assumed it was Gift Cert? Archives or plat would be nice.

You may have bet on the wrong horse, but take comfort in the heap of dead mexican children the Death Commandoes nevertheless managed to produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

A: 27
B: 27
E: 3

• Locked thread