Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

sc0tty posted:

Can anyone recommend a good documentary on the JFK Assassination. There's so many out there that focus on the weird conspiracy and go all over the place. I'm looking for something that gives a general idea of what happened, the reasons behind it, and potential investigates/debunks the common conspiracy theories.

JFK: 3 Shots that Changed America is a really good insight that uses a lot of archive TV footage taken at the time. It follows the assasination, the arrest of Oswald, Oswald's death and the main conspiracy theories in chronological order, ending with Oliver Stone's film in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
So I just watched The Yes Men and it was awful. Someone give me something to cleanse my palette and get me riled up about corporations.

Also, not really documentaries in the strictest sense, but to contribute: the RSA has been doing these awesome animations of lectures that are all about 10min long and incredibly engaging. Watch them all here! http://www.youtube.com/user/theRSAorg

Edit: It looks like they AREN'T all on that one account, but search for "RSA Animate" and you'll find any missing ones.

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 22, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The RSA 10 minute animations are the best thing on youtube.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know it's been mentioned, but I finally got around to watching Touching the Void. Great climbing doc that starts out really tame and just unravels totally.

Also both men are really honest and I like how they were so open about not really blaming each other for what happening and understanding why the rope had to be cut and all that.

Also the decision to delve further into the chasm in order to find a way out took balls of unimaginable size.

Jim Bergerac
Jul 18, 2010
Cowboys in India - is a documentary that follows the director around rural India as he attempts to investigate accusations that indigenous people are being forced off their land by a huge evil mining corporation. If I remember right, the natives got a lot of press at the time because they live on some kind of 'holy mountain' (not the Jodorowsky kind) so it was easy for the trashy British press to compare them to those blue hippies in Avatar.

The film is quite funny, aside from the wicked mining corporation it mostly ends up being about the bumbling director and the two odd Indian guys he hires to show him around. I went to a screening in a twenty seat cinema with the director, and when he was answering questions a shareholder in the evil corporation turned up, which was interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1178662/

Last Train Home

Amazing study of the largest human migration on the planet, the period when all of China's factory workers return home to their families. Do not watch if you have a fear of overcrowded trains.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512201/

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Karl Pilkington goes on a Homer-like odyssey to find out if he would be happier if he was smarter.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1700622981138923572

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I just discovered they LARP The Russian Civil War in Russia thanks to the related videos tab too.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

The Scientist posted:

Karl Pilkington goes on a Homer-like odyssey to find out if he would be happier if he was smarter.

FINALLY a statement in which Homer the epic poet and Homer Simpson could be used interchangably.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

The Scientist posted:

I was losing it when he started talking about aliens with that professor, then David Icke showed up :lol::lol:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wow, Ricky is sort of treating him as a mate in this one which is kind of touching.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I watched nearly all of Monster Camp last night. It was okay but didn't really catch me. The fat plot guy talking about getting his daughter into WOW instead of actually spending time with her was pretty heavy.

I also watched some RSA animate which are simply awesome. Everyone should watch them.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

wiki posted:

Ross Kemp: Extreme World is a documentary series shown on Sky1 and later repeated on Sky3. The show is hosted by actor Ross Kemp, best known for his role of Grant Mitchell in the show EastEnders, as well as his BAFTA award winning documentaries Ross Kemp on Gangs and Ross Kemp in Afghanistan.

On the show Kemp travels around the world talking to people involved in illict trades, locals who have been affected by violence and hardship, and the authorities who are attempting to combat the problems. In each episode he attempts to establish contacts within the groups in order to get close to the ringleaders.

Part 1: Chicago
Part 2: Congo
Part 3: Mexico
Part 4: Haiti
Part 5: England

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Louis Theroux Documentary

Infomercials

Louis Theroux attempts to become a presenter on Florida’s Home Shopping Network TV channel and meets the people who invent, sell and make a fortune from products such as the Win Gym.
:dance:
http://documentarystorm.com/lifestyle/infomercials/

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Hopefully this hasn't already been mentioned. Sorry if it's a repeat.

The Twins Who Share A Body

"Although they are two completely separate people, these accomplished teens share a body and have just two arms and legs between them. Born in 1990, the girls have been brought up in a small, tightly knit community in Minnesota, almost completely protected from prying eyes and inquisitive stares.

To their friends and family, they are distinct people with very different personalities, needs, tastes and desires. But to the outside world they are a medical mystery – particularly given the fact that they can do virtually all the same things as their friends, including playing the piano, riding a bike, swimming and playing softball “Their personalities make them inspirational,” says their mother Patty. “They never give up; anything they want to do, they go out and do it.”"

Really, really interesting stuff. I can't describe it; just watch it if you have any interest in medical anomalies, social/lifestyle documentaries, or are at all curious about what it's like to have two heads.

Watch it at Documentary Heaven: http://documentaryheaven.com/the-twins-who-share-a-body/

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished watching "Touching the Void"

God drat did that movie tug on my heart strings. Joe has got to have the biggest nads in the entire universe to survive that. Thanks for the recommendation.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I watched a documentary the other day called Alone in the Wilderness: it was about a man named Dick Proenekke and he, at age 51, built his own cabin in the alaskan wilderness at the Twin Lakes in Alaska and filmed it with a tripod mounted camera. I'm not sure who the narrator is, but it's very well narrated using the words of Mr. Proenneke's daily journals during what turned out to be a 35 year stay out there in his hand-built cabin.

This is a youtube link to the guy that made the documentary by putting together the footage and narration in a way that explains itself quite well. The whole thing was an hour long, this link is only 9 minutes of it.

Very feel-good watch just 1 minute of it and you'll get the sense of the entire documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why you should never talk to the police under any circumstances

This is technically not a documentary but a one-hour lecture by a US law professor and a veteran cop. However, the professor is really fast talking and squeezes more information into half an hour than most TV documentary series do.

Basically, the professor explains why, due to laws regarding hearsay evidence as well as the possibility of human error, talking to the police always can never be a good thing for the individual involved (it might be good for society, but the individual is always putting himself at risk of self-incrimination). If you want to exonerate yourself of a crime, the only place to do it is in court. If you want to testify against a suspect, demand immunity from prosecution. The professor cites famous celebrities such as Martha Stewart and Marion Jones, who could have avoided prison had they refused to talk to investigators.

A summary of his points:

*We're all guilty of something, because there are thousands of laws to break and it's impossible to go through life totally clean.

*Anything you say to the police may be used against you in court by the prosecutor, but can never be quoted by your defense attorney to help you. This is because any statement that isn't inculpatory will be dismissed as hearsay. Therefore, making statements to the police cannot help you and is at best harmless. If you have something to say that can get you off the hook, save it for the judge.

*An innocent suspect, as a result of confusion and stress, may make accidental lies in his statement that the prosecutor can point out in court.

*Faulty evidence can be used to contradict a suspect's statements and make him look like a liar.

I love this video so much I watched it every day for a week. This is a video I highly recommend you guys to watch because it actually contains wisdom that you may well find useful some point in life.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 2, 2011

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wow, Ricky is sort of treating him as a mate in this one which is kind of touching.

He also kind of made him a reluctant millionaire. The bullying everyone goes on about is almost solely done for our benefit. They'd make pretty boring shows if they all got along and just agreed with Karl without pressing for clarification on his musings.

There's a pretty long interview for New Zealand television Karl features in if anyone's interested:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/multimedia/tv/entertainment/19359.html

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

WouldDesk posted:

Louis Theroux Documentary

Infomercials

Louis Theroux attempts to become a presenter on Florida’s Home Shopping Network TV channel and meets the people who invent, sell and make a fortune from products such as the Win Gym.
:dance:
http://documentarystorm.com/lifestyle/infomercials/

I thought I watched all the Louis programs, what good news!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

mikewozere posted:

He also kind of made him a reluctant millionaire. The bullying everyone goes on about is almost solely done for our benefit. They'd make pretty boring shows if they all got along and just agreed with Karl without pressing for clarification on his musings.

There's a pretty long interview for New Zealand television Karl features in if anyone's interested:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/multimedia/tv/entertainment/19359.html

Excellent stuff, can't wait for the Bucket TV series too.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

mr. nazi posted:

I watched a documentary the other day called Alone in the Wilderness

I love this doc. I caught it once in the middle of the night on PBS and it did everything but cure my insomnia. The amount of reclusive badass contained in this one man is staggering. Not only did he build his cabin himself, but he only brought the metal parts of tools to lighten his load. Have you ever made an axe-handle and then used that axe to build your home? No, because we're all a bunch of goddamned nerds compared to this man.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

mr. nazi posted:

I watched a documentary the other day called Alone in the Wilderness: it was about a man named Dick Proenekke and he, at age 51, built his own cabin in the alaskan wilderness at the Twin Lakes in Alaska and filmed it with a tripod mounted camera. I'm not sure who the narrator is, but it's very well narrated using the words of Mr. Proenneke's daily journals during what turned out to be a 35 year stay out there in his hand-built cabin.

This is a youtube link to the guy that made the documentary by putting together the footage and narration in a way that explains itself quite well. The whole thing was an hour long, this link is only 9 minutes of it.

Very feel-good watch just 1 minute of it and you'll get the sense of the entire documentary.

I'd also like to reccomend Alone in the Wilderness. It is such an amazing journey, with this guy hand building everything he owns, then living in his hand made cabin for 35 years, his only contact to the outside world being a plane that flies in things like coffee and toilet paper. It's a great movie and really shows how much determination he had.

Edit: /\/\/\
Oh yeah, I forgot about how he builds the loving tools to build the cabin. That man is amazing.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Umm...

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/american_shopper/

So, this documentary is called Aisling and it is about a man who wants to make sport shopping mainstream. He holds a competition for a $10,000 prize that will go to the person who collects 15 items in 3 minutes and does so in the most stylistic, expressed way they can think of. Dancing, twirling around, jumping, throwing poo poo in the air.

I don't even...

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Grand Prix: The Killer Years

An amazing documentary about the safety, or lack of, of formula one racing in the 60's and 70's. The death toll was ridiculous and I honestly don't know how anyone made it out of the era alive. It also contains one of the most harrowing and soul crushing final shots I've ever seen.

Runtime: 1 hour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z8v18/Grand_Prix_The_Killer_Years/

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

nickhimself posted:

Umm...

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/american_shopper/

So, this documentary is called Aisling and it is about a man who wants to make sport shopping mainstream. He holds a competition for a $10,000 prize that will go to the person who collects 15 items in 3 minutes and does so in the most stylistic, expressed way they can think of. Dancing, twirling around, jumping, throwing poo poo in the air.

I don't even...

This MUST be a mockumentary.

There's just no way....? I have to lay down...

Wastebasket
Apr 15, 2003

Ask me about reliving my virginity

mr. nazi posted:

This looks awesome, I wish it were on Netflix. This guy is a total badass to do all that building by himself.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Enentol posted:

This MUST be a mockumentary.

There's just no way....? I have to lay down...

snagfilms is ripe with terrible documentaries. This website is ridiculous. I started watching a documentary about car pimping only to find out it was completely in German. After that there was an erotic art documentary that was way too weird to continue. This website is gold.

Mikeluv311v2.0
Dec 21, 2006
What planet do you think this is?!

Budget Bears posted:

Hopefully this hasn't already been mentioned. Sorry if it's a repeat.

The Twins Who Share A Body

"Although they are two completely separate people, these accomplished teens share a body and have just two arms and legs between them. Born in 1990, the girls have been brought up in a small, tightly knit community in Minnesota, almost completely protected from prying eyes and inquisitive stares.

To their friends and family, they are distinct people with very different personalities, needs, tastes and desires. But to the outside world they are a medical mystery – particularly given the fact that they can do virtually all the same things as their friends, including playing the piano, riding a bike, swimming and playing softball “Their personalities make them inspirational,” says their mother Patty. “They never give up; anything they want to do, they go out and do it.”"

Really, really interesting stuff. I can't describe it; just watch it if you have any interest in medical anomalies, social/lifestyle documentaries, or are at all curious about what it's like to have two heads.

Watch it at Documentary Heaven: http://documentaryheaven.com/the-twins-who-share-a-body/

holy poo poo, great doc. I'm glad I didn't get the effort to google what they sense and how they work and just watched it all at once. Great suggestion.

Smee
Sep 24, 2004

Kehveli posted:

(Ross Kemp Extreme World)
Part 1: Chicago
Part 2: Congo
Part 3: Mexico
Part 4: Haiti
Part 5: England

This man and his crew have balls of steel to go where they go and interview the people they do. I absolutely love this series, and thanks for the links.

Hysterics
Mar 23, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I just finished watching Last Train Home and it was one of the most honest and depressing documentaries I've ever seen, second only to End of the Street which was about heroin addicts.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just watched the Paradise Lost docos from the recommendations above.

Wow it is a strange country that you live in where a guy like John Mark Byres can run his mouth all over town and three kids are locked up for dressing different.

After looking at the wiki afterwards it looks as though they aren't getting out either.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Well, no, actually, we were talking about that in this thread a while back. From what I ascertained things were looking up for them. That crazy motherfucker, who was posited as a possible suspect, the step-dad (bald dude, burned poo poo, etc) has since actually switched sides and is now on the side of the three. If you go back in the thread a ways you might be able to find us talking about it; but it was a while ago.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
Or you could go read the messageboard where Mark Byers posts. He's an admin on it and is more than happy to change his mind. I think his reasoning about that time on the film was that he was hopped up on Rx's or something.

http://www.wm3blackboard.com/forum/index.php

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Hysterics posted:

I just finished watching Last Train Home and it was one of the most honest and depressing documentaries I've ever seen.

I agree with this, I just wish there was more (recent) documentaries about modern Chinese economic growth, besides The Largest Domino and Last Train Home.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Smee posted:

This man and his crew have balls of steel to go where they go and interview the people they do. I absolutely love this series, and thanks for the links.

His ... In Afghanistan series were pretty good. He gets shot at quite a lot.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

shinigami_ebola posted:

This documentary called The Bridge, focuses on the Golden Gate Bridge, which happens to be the most popular suicide destination in the world. Cameras are left during the entire year of 2004, getting shots of people in the last moment of life plummeting off the bridge before they hit the water. The documentary also interviews the families of the jumpers, witnesses of the suicides, and also interviews a man who managed to survive his jump off the bridge. It's a thoroughly depressing documentary, because the pain expressed by the people affected by those deaths seems so palpable.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-bridge/

The video on the website is a youtube playlist, and will run all 9 segments continuously.

Pretty ok documentary. What I found weird is that the cameraman can't track the jumpers properly. The camera is all over the place. They knew they were going to film stuff going at high speed and couldn't do it properly.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

konna posted:

Pretty ok documentary. What I found weird is that the cameraman can't track the jumpers properly. The camera is all over the place. They knew they were going to film stuff going at high speed and couldn't do it properly.

You are aware that it is generally frowned upon to show people dying in your documentary? I am pretty sure that the impacts were framed out on purpose.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

Jamsque posted:

You are aware that it is generally frowned upon to show people dying in your documentary? I am pretty sure that the impacts were framed out on purpose.

Haven't thought of that. Or what I mean is that of course I know that suicides are sensitive subject and often hushushed for understandable reasons. But it just didn't cross my mind as the documentary was particularly about filming suicides so a certain taboo barrier had been breached.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

His ... In Afghanistan series were pretty good. He gets shot at quite a lot.

He has earnt my respect. Shame about his wife though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

mikewozere posted:

Grand Prix: The Killer Years

An amazing documentary about the safety, or lack of, of formula one racing in the 60's and 70's. The death toll was ridiculous and I honestly don't know how anyone made it out of the era alive. It also contains one of the most harrowing and soul crushing final shots I've ever seen.

Now on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy7gmd8XXAA

To quote a driver interviewed: "He burnt in the car. And for the whole race, we could smell burning flesh each time we arrived at the bends."