Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

foxatee posted:

IIRC, everyone went hog wild for the moby wrap. Are there any other carriers out there I should consider?

Also, is it worth it to have a changing table? We were thinking of just getting the changing pad instead of spending :megabux: on a whole table. Are we being needlessly frugal?

My husband's cousin's wife highly recommended we get a Boppy and a bebePod. Does anyone own these? Exactly how useful are they? Reviews seem to be great, but again: we'd rather not buy unnecessary items.

====

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. We'll see if my blood pressure has gone down. Hopefully Peanut is okay in there. :ohdear:

Boppy was a goddamn godsend for me, and we still use if for nursing at almost a year old. It worked well both early on when I did football hold and when I transitioned her to cradle (or "Boppy hold," as I call it).

I never used a Moby, but I did use a non-stretchy gauze wrap at first because it's so hot here it seemed to make the most sense. I got a ton of use out of it, as my daughter did not like to be put down at all, but I liked not being stuck on the couch or doing everything one handed. After a while I transitioned to a soft-structured carrier, in our case a Pikkolo, but Ergo and Beco are other highly recommended brands.

Personally, I would not want to be without a changing table, but I have a bad back. It might vary for other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

foxatee posted:

IIRC, everyone went hog wild for the moby wrap. Are there any other carriers out there I should consider?

Also, is it worth it to have a changing table? We were thinking of just getting the changing pad instead of spending :megabux: on a whole table. Are we being needlessly frugal?

My husband's cousin's wife highly recommended we get a Boppy and a bebePod. Does anyone own these? Exactly how useful are they? Reviews seem to be great, but again: we'd rather not buy unnecessary items.

====

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. We'll see if my blood pressure has gone down. Hopefully Peanut is okay in there. :ohdear:

A changing table is not necessary. We had one because my mom's friend's daughter was upgrading her nursery into a big kid room and gave us theirs. We didn't use it for the first 8 or nine months at all - I just kept a basket with diapers, cream & wipes in the living room and changed him on the couch or floor or wherever I was. I started using the changing table when he got mobile enough to get the basket of changing supplies and fling its contents around the house. I only used it for about 2 months before he figured out that it was a gigantic ladder in his room. Then I got rid of it (actually, I shoved it in his closet to use as shelving). I ended up buying a dresser that will work for him until adulthood and putting the changing pad on top of that. So no, you totally do not need a changing table.

Boppys are really popular for breastfeeding comfort. They're are also nice for propping the baby up for pictures or draping them over, facedown for a bit of tummy action. There's tons of cheaper versions out there, you don't need to pay for the brand name if you don't want to. But yeah, I consider a boppy-type thing to be pretty necessary. Aids in your comfort while feeding (breast or bottle) and has other uses. Liam still has his and uses it at almost 4 years old, I catch him lounging on the floor with it as a pillow while he plays with toys. I recommend getting a spare cover for it, so you can switch covers and wash the one that just got puked on.

As for the BebePod, it's basically the same as a Bumbo seat. You aren't going to use it with a newborn, so don't bother getting one now (unless you're desperately searching for things to put on your registry). I'd say they're really unnecessary. They are very popular and they're great for propping your kid in to take pictures of them, but it's like 30 bucks for a piece of equipment you're going to put your kid in for less than 20 minutes a day for a few weeks, maybe even 2 months and then they're done with it. The tray seems like a good idea, but in practice my kid just flung everything off it and then was pissed because he couldn't reach to get his toys back. Once they can sit up for themselves, they generally don't want to be in the Bumbo/BebePod because it reduces their mobility - they can't just crawl three feet to the next toy.

Of course the next post will be someone swearing that they couldn't live without their bebePod and boppys are totally useless, so take everything with a grain of salt. What works for one person just doesn't do a damned thing for the next.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Yeah, I'm the person that couldn't care less for a Boppy. I'm large breasted and tend to use the football hold over the cradle hold for nursing and the Boppy really isn't good for that. It is great for propping the baby for tummy time and whatnot so it's not totally useless.

We had a borrowed Bumbo seat and I really liked it. I wouldn't spend the full amount for a new one but I always see them on Craigslist and the like for around $10. I think it's worth that much.

As for the changing table, I've used it with every baby so far. I still use it to change my youngest (he's almost 2) because it's easier on my back than getting down on the floor. I've got a cheapie Ikea Sniglar one. I think I paid about $40 for it so it was a pretty good investment for me.

On a different subject, I just kind of jumped in here but is it better form for me to introduce myself? I'm kind of new to the SA forums and I'm not sure what the protocol is.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Braksgirl posted:

On a different subject, I just kind of jumped in here but is it better form for me to introduce myself? I'm kind of new to the SA forums and I'm not sure what the protocol is.

Nah, just join us on the facebook group and introduce yourself there - info is in the OP.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We use a changing table and I love it. The kid seems to love it as well, as he usually gets all smiley and giggly during changes. We also turn in the radio every time we change him, and sing along to entertain him. We usually spend a few minutes after changing him just hanging out and singing/playing. It also works as a clothing storage area and doesn't take up too much space. We got it on clearance at a Babies R Us for about $50.

I use a Boppy as well, though it doesn't fit around my waist so I use it in reverse like a big pillow. We got it as a hand-me-down. We also use it to prop him up for pictures and for hanging out on the bed and couch with him. I also use it as a pillow sometimes to nap on.

And my kid loved his Bumbo. Seriously, he squeals in delight nearly every time we put him in it. He's used it for a month now, and will probably use it for another month until he's sitting up and moving around on his own, but these two months will be the glorious reign of the Bumbo in our home.

For carriers, I suggest the rental system on Paxbaby.com Try out a few different kinds to see what works for you and your baby.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah, I'm the person that couldn't care less for a Boppy. I'm large breasted and tend to use the football hold over the cradle hold for nursing and the Boppy really isn't good for that. It is great for propping the baby for tummy time and whatnot so it's not totally useless.

I really think it's different person to person, because I am also large breasted and also used football hold at first, and I used the Boppy just fine. It also might depend on the baby-- my daughter was quite small, so she fit fine on the "arm" of the Boppy in football hold.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I'd like a few book recommendations for a sorta-friend of mine who is due in 10 weeks. She doesn't have the best track record as far as taking care of herself, let alone another person...when she was fresh out of high school she lost a child because of drinking while pregnant. She seems to be taking much better care of herself and her new soon-to-be baby this time around.

I'm looking for a book that focuses on development and things to do with your child to help their development like reading to them, etc. How to talk to your child and encourage them, and other general things like that. Mainly an easy/pleasant-to-read child psychology book.

Any other books you could recommend that would be good for a new mom would be great, I'd obviously prefer books that are about newborn-infant and not pregnancy.

I was also thinking of buying some slightly large sized clothing, like 9-18months. I figure she's probably getting tons of clothing already in smaller sizes and might like to get some stuff for future use, is this a good idea?

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Did anyone else have to deal with someone finding out about your pregnancy before you were ready to announce it? I just found out last week that I'm pregnant, and my husband and I want to try not to tell anyone until we announce it, in person, to my family when we visit them in June. Today a co-worker stopped me in the hall and asked if my Metformin was working, because, in her words, "You seem a lot more energetic...well, that's not quite right...more like...less depressed? Like you're happy lately!"

She knows I've been trying to conceive (and that we were having trouble) so she gave me a look when she said that and I laughed and said that it was totally the Metformin, but then I got a little worried that she was catching on (and I had no idea my mood had visibly changed at work). Also, I'm terrible at keeping my mouth shut so if anyone directly asks me if I'm pregnant, I'm not sure I could deny it. However, I'd feel bad if other people around us found out before we tell my family (they live far away and I rarely see them, so assuming this pregnancy sticks, I am really looking forward to telling them in person even though I'll be 14 or 15 weeks along by then). I don't know, when did you guys announce your pregnancies, and did you feel bad telling your families over the phone or letting other people unrelated to you know the good news before your families found out?

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

Banana Cat posted:

Did anyone else have to deal with someone finding out about your pregnancy before you were ready to announce it?

Yes - my morning sickness let the cat out of the bag long before I wanted to announce anything. My husband and I had wanted to wait until 12 weeks, since the chance of miscarriage drops significantly at that point, but I started in with severe morning sickness right at 6 weeks, so it was hard to hide.

Since I was so sick, I had to inform my work and many of my friends found out. I told most of my family on the phone simply because if I hadn't, most people wouldn't have found out until she was born. And while I told my parents and siblings at 7 weeks, I still waited until almost 12 weeks to tell my grandparents, even though others knew.

I wouldn't worry about your co-worker, hopefully she will be nice and not ask specifically! There is nothing wrong with wanting to wait until 14 or 15 weeks, though I know I couldn't do it, so you can do it in person, but there is also nothing wrong with telling family over the phone. They will be just as excited when they get to see you at 14 or 15 weeks, regardless of when you told them.

Good luck and I hope your pregnancy sticks!!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Greycious posted:

I was also thinking of buying some slightly large sized clothing, like 9-18months. I figure she's probably getting tons of clothing already in smaller sizes and might like to get some stuff for future use, is this a good idea?

I don't really have any book recommendations, cause I'm super obsessive and all y books were technical and overinvolved.

I definitely approve of the larger sized clothing. You tend to get huge amounts of newborn through size 3 or 6 months given to you at showers, way more than one baby can ever wear before they grow out of them. I had several relatives with young children give me an array of sizes and I loved it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Lying to friends and family about being pregnant is perfectly socially acceptable for the first 3 months. We made up the dumbest reasons why my GF wasn't drinking/smoking pot and nobody called us out on it, even though it was perfectly obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense what was going on.

If people can't understand why you'd lie about it until the 12-15 week danger zone is cleared, then frankly it's on them to stop being such self-centered twits.

e: When you finally do tell your friends and family, in my experience the foolish excuses are something that everyone has a good laugh about together.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

foxatee posted:

Are we being needlessly frugal?
Honestly, there are few baby items that are universally needed, so you really have to just look at your budget and decide where your money is best spent. For us, we knew that we'd also need a dresser for the baby so we snagged a convertible changing table/dresser. It looks like this:

And it also comes with a changing pad that fits the opened top, of course. It's a sturdy solid wood piece of furniture, so there's no reason that our kid won't continue to use it as a bedroom dresser after the diapering days are over.

I haven't had my baby quite yet (less than a month to go!) but I can vouch for the Boppy as an often-used item for my half-sister who was born in '99 - both for propping up during nursing, and tummy time/learning to sit up. We got a similar, off-brand nursing pillow (Jolly Jumper Baby Sitter) here in Canada for cheap. Not planning on getting a Bumbo chair personally, but that's not to say that people don't find it worthwhile!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Our changing table is a dresser/changing table combo as well, from Ikea.

If you REALLY want to save money, consider EC (elimination communication) and cloth diapers. Cloth diapering alone saves you a ton of money over time, and EC saves you even more because you wash less diapers since the baby goes in a potty (or bowl or whatever receptacle you feel like having them go in). I can give you more information if you're interested.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Banana Cat posted:

Did anyone else have to deal with someone finding out about your pregnancy before you were ready to announce it?

Yeah, I wasn't going to tell anyone, not even family, until 15 weeks but an incident at work meant I told work at 9 weeks, and then I felt I had to tell family as its weird having my boss know but not my parents.

The trouble I had was once a few people knew I found it really hard to keep my mouth shut. All the excitement kind of burst out of me and it was a physical effort to keep quiet until I had the 12 week scan.

Don't worry about your coworker, almost everyone understands the need to keep it quiet and lie if need be until 12 weeks.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Greycious posted:

I'd like a few book recommendations for a sorta-friend of mine who is due in 10 weeks. She doesn't have the best track record as far as taking care of herself, let alone another person...when she was fresh out of high school she lost a child because of drinking while pregnant. She seems to be taking much better care of herself and her new soon-to-be baby this time around.

I'm looking for a book that focuses on development and things to do with your child to help their development like reading to them, etc. How to talk to your child and encourage them, and other general things like that. Mainly an easy/pleasant-to-read child psychology book.

Any other books you could recommend that would be good for a new mom would be great, I'd obviously prefer books that are about newborn-infant and not pregnancy.

I think this may have been recommended in this thread: http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Parent-You-Want-Sourcebook/dp/0553067508/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298634330&sr=1-1

I'm reading through it right now and it's great for having you realize what your goals are in raising your child and how to go about achieving them!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Playful Parenting is also a highly recommended book.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!
If you want to give clothes as big as 9 months, that's great and will be appreciated, but I'd go with very non-season specific stuff since kids grow at such different rates. There's no telling when a baby will be able to wear 9 month sized clothing. My son had 12 month sized stuff he could wear when he was only 5 months old, and now at 20 months wears a 4T. Go with plain white onesies that can be worn under layers in the winter, light weight blue jeans, that kind of thing. In fact, I would have appreciated a pack of plain white onesies in every size they make. Onesie extenders too.

EDIT: Book recommendations: The Happiest Baby on the Block; the No-Cry Sleep Solution; Dr. Sears' Portable Pediatrician, Breastfeeding Book if she's planning on breastfeeding, and also his Vaccine Book.

chknflvrdramen fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 23, 2011

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
I love the boppy for nursing and my husband does as well for making holding and cuddling the little guy a bit easier. I found a my breast friend pillow at a thrift store and I prefer it for nursing. It is similar to the boppy but has a few different features that I like.

I do have a question about the moby wrap, my little guy loves to be held but hates the moby. I don't know if I am wrapping it wrong or if I should just keep trying? He generally likes to be cradled and balks at being upright, but I know that the cradle "slings" are dangerous because of airway issues. Should I keep trying and hope that he starts to like it or is there a better way to wrap it or a better carrier?

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 23, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Cloth diapering alone saves you a ton of money over time

This is really mostly true if you do it with multiple kids. With one kid, I don't see it saving a whole lot of money what with initial investments and whatnot.

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

bamzilla posted:

This is really mostly true if you do it with multiple kids. With one kid, I don't see it saving a whole lot of money what with initial investments and whatnot.

I believe the average cost of diapering one child in disposables is in the range of $2000. I have spent a grand total of $350 cloth diapering my daughter who is currently 17 months. This, of course, does not factor in water and electricity from laundry, but I did not notice any real change in our bills when we started washing her diapers every couple of days.

I do use a less expensive type of cloth diaper (and I use cloth wipes that I made myself)- prefolds with covers - but that is by choice. I prefer the simplicity of prefolds over all-in-ones, pockets, or hybrids. I have friends however who use pockets or AIOs and still have only spent about $500 total diapering their children.

Another bonus is that cloth diapers have resale value. I have sold the pockets, all-in-ones, and other diapers that I have no liked to provide the money for the diapers I use now.

Cloth diapers do have a heavier upfront cost, but over time they more than pay for themselves.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Liviana posted:

I believe the average cost of diapering one child in disposables is in the range of $2000. I have spent a grand total of $350 cloth diapering my daughter who is currently 17 months. This, of course, does not factor in water and electricity from laundry, but I did not notice any real change in our bills when we started washing her diapers every couple of days.

I do use a less expensive type of cloth diaper (and I use cloth wipes that I made myself)- prefolds with covers - but that is by choice. I prefer the simplicity of prefolds over all-in-ones, pockets, or hybrids. I have friends however who use pockets or AIOs and still have only spent about $500 total diapering their children.

Another bonus is that cloth diapers have resale value. I have sold the pockets, all-in-ones, and other diapers that I have no liked to provide the money for the diapers I use now.

Cloth diapers do have a heavier upfront cost, but over time they more than pay for themselves.

I cloth diaper as well, but personally speaking with one kid i haven't noticed a huge decrease in the bills, just a huge increase in the amount of laundry we do. ;) I use prefolds as well as pockets/AIOs, though.

Someone also pointed out elsewhere that cloth diapering can be cheaper in countries other than the US due to the high cost of disposables. I know here you can get a box of around 100+ diapers for $20 for store brands that are of good quality. That's about 1 AIO cloth diaper.

A friend gave me several diaper covers for an infant and being able to reuse the ones I have will definitely help save us money when we decide to have a second kid.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

bamzilla posted:

It truly depends on the diapering system you go with. Prefolds and covers will save you a fuckton of money over disposables, especially if you buy used.

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005
I wonder what the space baby thinks about all this.....?

bamzilla posted:

One thing that we somehow didn't factor in was how expensive cloth diapers are when you're doing them in expensive apartment building laundry room washers. You need to pay an extra $0.25 for an added rinse cycle, (they need it) and for every extra 7 minutes on the dryer (we need an extra 3 x7mins to get the prefolds dry enough). It ends up being $5 for a wash/dry of diapers, and you can really only get a couple dozen in there before it's starting to get too full to rinse properly. So that's about $0.21 per diaper. Washing has actually gotten MORE complicated now with two in cloth diapers- I have to time it so that we're washing diapers before we get to needing to do 2 loads, because I don't actually have enough diapers to really fill up two loads- so we end up having 2 smallish loads instead of one over-full load... which ends up being gently caress-off expensive. Suuure, we COULD line dry. But we get no sun on our side of the apartment, and it's humid as hell here and it takes FOREVER to dry prefolds, just to have them turn into stiff scratchy cotton planks.

I've now got my 20 month old in disposables, and am just doing cloth with the 4 month old. Both kids wear the same size disposables (which is so awesome. Skinny toddler, big baby. They're SO different!!), so the little guy gets plastic pants when we go out too, since I have them on hand already. I've been trying to decide if it's worth it to do a diaper service, or just give up on cloth completley and go with disposables.

Also, any thoughts on why my toddler breaks out in a yeast rash every time I put him back into cloth diapers? It goes away super-fast as soon as he's back in disposables. Even his butt is telling me to give up on cloth.

Edit: can any Canadian goons tell me where's a good place to buy eco-friendly diapers online? That seems like a nice idea!

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

Banana Cat posted:

Yes. 3 friends before 8 weeks, boss at 9 weeks. The friends, I was OK with. My boss, I told him to gently caress off (he deserved it as he had been an rear end for the previous 4 weeks). I still have my job.

It wasn't the nausea (had none of that), or the avoidance of the booze, but the fact that I was freakin' showing. By week 12 I had put on 15 lbs so indeed I was pretty chubbier (my total was 40 lbs, I lost it all but 3 lbs in 6 weeks post-partum with no diet, so there's hope).

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
On the subject of changing tables...I love ours. It's just a basic, wooden two shelf model, but the storage is awesome. I use baskets for socks, bibs, shoes, diapers, wipes, etc... Got in on Craigslist for $30, and it is going strong through Number Two. Craigslist is the way to go for baby stuff--saves money, gives stuff another life. Most stuff is out-grown before it ever wears out.

The baby item (that I also got on Craigslist) that I cannot live without is my bouncy seat. They sit with me in the kitchen and watch me cook. Liam sits with us in the playroom while Midget and I do whatever. It is awesome and I was bummed when Midget outgrew it (~4 months) and I will be bummed when Liam outgrows it too.

On cloth diapers...I use a service and LOVE it. It costs more per diaper than a store brand disposable, but less than a premium brand (Pampers, Huggies). I wanted to use cloth, but had zero interest in washing them, so voila! Perfect for us.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Today one of my cats peed in the downstairs crib. I'm wondering if it was just a convenient place to pee (?), or if it's a sign of Trouble Brewing?

In other new, my kid is officially a giant. Just over 14lbs, wearing 6 month clothes, and 8 weeks old today (he started off at 8lbs, 5 oz.) It's not fat either, he's just a really big kid, who's going to pay for my retirement with his pro hockey salary. He just never.stops.eating. Please tell me that this is going to slow down.

ETA: Partner just walked in the door, and one of his colleagues dropped in work today with his 4 month old daughter. She's 10 lbs. :(

anythingbutbloo posted:

I have a Boppy and I love it. I use it for everything except nursing. It's great to prop babies up with, especially when they're first starting to get head control and sit -- it catches them if they fall backwards.

Seconding this. Boppy is great, but if you're looking for something specifically for nursing, I found My Brest Friend to be much more helpful (especially at the beginning when you're getting your poo poo together.) Complete back-saver.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 24, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I think the Boppy/My Brest Friend thing is totally a personal thing too, as I hated MBF even in th beginning, and the Boppy was perfect for me (and still is).

My almost one year old wears 6-9 month sized clothing, and is juuuuuust barely 17 lbs. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
I agree with FitD, as I loved my My Brest Friend from the get-go and used it until bitty was an enormous toddler, and I've never found the Boppy to be comfortable.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
So I know it's very early (5 weeks probably)... but my wife got a blood test 48 hours apart, and they said that her hCG level should have doubled. But the doc called today and told me that it had only gone up half of what it was supposed to, so she's getting an ultrasound on Wednesday.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html makes me believe that it isn't always a big deal when things aren't "normal" but I don't know how bummed I should be. I obviously have to play anything down that I tell my wife, because she would be too worried for the next 6 days.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Juanito posted:

So I know it's very early (5 weeks probably)... but my wife got a blood test 48 hours apart, and they said that her hCG level should have doubled. But the doc called today and told me that it had only gone up half of what it was supposed to, so she's getting an ultrasound on Wednesday.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html makes me believe that it isn't always a big deal when things aren't "normal" but I don't know how bummed I should be. I obviously have to play anything down that I tell my wife, because she would be too worried for the next 6 days.

I know this doesn't really help you at all but get used to the whole "This isn't what it's supposed to be" part of pregnancy. There always will be things that you will worry about or things that aren't going exactly as planned, you just have to get through them.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

MarshallX posted:

I know this doesn't really help you at all but get used to the whole "This isn't what it's supposed to be" part of pregnancy. There always will be things that you will worry about or things that aren't going exactly as planned, you just have to get through them.
Thanks, I'm trying hard to adopt this mentality. There are things out of our control.. just have to keep on doing what we're supposed to. :)

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Umm, my bra no longer fits in the cups. Do they even make maternity bras? I'm hesitant just to buy a bigger bra because (presumably) I'm only 17 weeks and haven't put on much weight. Would a nursing bra be a good choice? I like the idea of adjustable cups.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
That's about when I started to wear a nursing bra. I really love this one by Bravado, and it comes in generic sizes (S, M, L, etc), and fits a range. It worked for me during pregnancy and afterward with nursing. Bonus: no underwire, which is awesome because my boobs were so sore during pregnancy.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!
I too love that bra. Definitely err on the side of too big though, your boobs are only going to get bigger.

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005
I wonder what the space baby thinks about all this.....?

And, make sure you get a bra without underwire. Both times I found towards the end that the underwire was getting smashed between my chest and my belly.

Way expensive (but you can sometimes find them cheap on deal websites and the like) are Hotmilk bras. I freaking LOVE them. They are PRETTY, and some have SPARKLY bits, and I was able to use them while pregnant, nursing, and I'll even wear them long after because they are comfortable and supportive but still sexy as hell. I have four of them, and even splurged and got the matching panties for each.

I forgot what size I was when I ordered two of them online, but it didn't seem to matter because they have a billion hooks on the back to adjust, and the cups are nice and stretchy.

The hotmilk website goes down pretty often, but googling it brought up a few places to order them from online.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

If a maternity bra isn't something you want to invest in right now (honestly I wouldn't because your boobs will change throughout and after pregnancy) you can always get/wear a sports bra. I loved mine, plus they were super easy for me to use when I was nursing and I still wear 'em. Seconding to the "avoid the underwire thing", too.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Target now carries a budget Bravado line in stores called Basics by Bravado. They have a bra that's very similar to the one FITD just linked, but a bit cheaper and you can try it on in store. There's a nice nursing camisole in the Basics By Bravado line as well. The main difference I see between the Bravado line and the Basics by Bravado line is that the Basics ones seem a little thinner and a bit stretchier. Also, they don't have to Uber PLUS PLUS size that Bravado has, but due to the increased stretchiness, I haven't found it to be a problem that I'm wearing one size smaller. My kid is almost 4 and hasn't nursed in over 3 years, and I'm wearing a nursing bra right now. So comfy.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Sometimes your band size will increase at the end due to your ribcage expanding. If your cup size is still good you can buy a package of band extenders for about $5.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Fionnoula posted:

Target now carries a budget Bravado line in stores called Basics by Bravado. They have a bra that's very similar to the one FITD just linked, but a bit cheaper and you can try it on in store. There's a nice nursing camisole in the Basics By Bravado line as well. The main difference I see between the Bravado line and the Basics by Bravado line is that the Basics ones seem a little thinner and a bit stretchier. Also, they don't have to Uber PLUS PLUS size that Bravado has, but due to the increased stretchiness, I haven't found it to be a problem that I'm wearing one size smaller. My kid is almost 4 and hasn't nursed in over 3 years, and I'm wearing a nursing bra right now. So comfy.

This. Also if you're concerned about getting bigger as time goes on, just get bigger bras for now. I'm also at 17 weeks and I just went to Target's intimates clearance rack and bought a few a band and cup size up for $4-6 and it's so much more comfy than my old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Wow. That is a lot of good advice. I cried at how comfy looking the Bravado bra seemed and I hadn't even considered a sport bra. I think I will head to Target this weekend and try on some of everything. Thanks!