Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

bobthecheese posted:

Using chrome 10 on linux, if that helps. Seems to work fine in firefox.

I am on the up to date Chrome and the issue occurs... Doesn't on my BB's browser... mozilla or IE? THat leads me to suspect its a Chrome specific issue. Oh Dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.
Back again with theme woes.

Edit: Solved, new issues in a later reply!

Gaff Tape fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 2, 2011

Broccoli Must Die!
Aug 12, 2004

Meow.
Is there a plugin available that will return possible search terms in the event of nothing found from a users search?

Ie "You searched for chess. Try searching instead for cheese?"

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
How do I make the archive page show more posts than what I have set up for the main blog page? I show 3 posts per page on my blog but I'd like the archives to show 10 per page.

Edit: I know a little PHP but obviously not enough to make this work. I was messing with query_posts(), but it wasn't working out. Help?

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 8, 2011

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
How can I test whether the blog has more than one author? I have a framework that I'm using for several sites, and I just wanted to drop in something conditional to save me having to strip out poo poo from multiple template files, but I can't figure out a function that works.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_list_authors

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
So my site is about 6 months old but I'm just not getting much traffic. Do you think switching to Yoast from All-In-One SEO will make much of a difference? Will I have to redo all my SEO stuff when I switch over?

My site: https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Omits-Bagels posted:

So my site is about 6 months old but I'm just not getting much traffic. Do you think switching to Yoast from All-In-One SEO will make much of a difference? Will I have to redo all my SEO stuff when I switch over?

My site: https://www.thesavvybackpacker.com

Search engine optimization isn't really about what plugin you use, but things like URLs, key words, content, getting your URL on other sites, etc.

When you say you're not getting much traffic, are you using Google Analytics? If so, are you unhappy with your overall numbers or the numbers in some subset? Are you getting visitors but you have a high bounce rate? Not getting enough comments/ads?\

I guess what I'm saying is, this probably has nothing to do with a plugin and way more to do with general marketing strategies (both SEO and more traditional methods), but without knowing exactly what you're dissatisfied with it's hard to be more specific.

And it's probably outside of the scope of the WordPress thread as well.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

cocteau posted:

Search engine optimization isn't really about what plugin you use, but things like URLs, key words, content, getting your URL on other sites, etc.

When you say you're not getting much traffic, are you using Google Analytics? If so, are you unhappy with your overall numbers or the numbers in some subset? Are you getting visitors but you have a high bounce rate? Not getting enough comments/ads?\

I guess what I'm saying is, this probably has nothing to do with a plugin and way more to do with general marketing strategies (both SEO and more traditional methods), but without knowing exactly what you're dissatisfied with it's hard to be more specific.

And it's probably outside of the scope of the WordPress thread as well.

Yeah, I didn't want to get into all the SEO stuff in this thread (as this isn't the right thread). I just wanted to see if I would have technical problems switching from AIO to Yoast. I didn't phrase my question very well.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Omits-Bagels posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to get into all the SEO stuff in this thread (as this isn't the right thread). I just wanted to see if I would have technical problems switching from AIO to Yoast. I didn't phrase my question very well.

I think on that front; Yoast's plugin has options to import settings from some other SEO plugins, including AIO. So I guess your process is; deactivate AIO, don't uninstall yet, install Yoast, import, uninstall AIO.

I've not followed that process myself though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I need an ecommerce / shopping cart solution... I've posted in the web design thread too, but since I tend to do a lot of things with Wordpress I figure maybe there's something out there that is Wordpress-specific that would do the job.

What I've learned in my searching is that WP-Ecommerce is poo poo, Shopp apparently sounds great but will eventually leave you banging your head against the wall, and Cart66 (previously PHPurchase) looks awesome but seems to require you to set up every product page by hand (???!).

Are there any good shopping cart plugins for Wordpress? I'll go with something else if not; just thought I should check.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Choadmaster posted:

WP-Ecommerce is poo poo

I am using E-Commerce with the gold cart plugin. Its a pain to get set up but after that the actual product adding is easy. see it here https://www.total-outdoors.co.uk

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

Is it at all possible to tag pages so that every tag I make goes to it's own page as opposed to category? I've found a few plugins but they're mostly outdated.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Baish posted:

Is it at all possible to tag pages so that every tag I make goes to it's own page as opposed to category? I've found a few plugins but they're mostly outdated.

I can't really pull what you actually want out of that question

Do you want to add Tags to your Pages? (as in not Posts)

If so I don't know, but I'd be interested in the possibility too.

Are you wanting archive Pages, but listing Posts for a Tag not for a Category?

In which case http://www.example.com?tag=YOUR_TAG_SLUG will do it.
With my permalink setup http://www.example.com/tag/YOUR_TAG_SLUG works too.
there are tag list plugins out there (but most are "clouds"...)
I did once find a widget that made a simple text menu of all tags on the site, but I can't remember it now.

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

KuruMonkey posted:

Sorry. I'm wanting to post a entry with tags. Let's say "recipes." All the posts with that tag would end up on a page instead of Categories. Categories just seems so cut and dry, being text based, so I wanted to have a nice shiny buttons that linked to pages with all the "recipes" I've posted.

I hope that makes more sense.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
You should be able to create a new .php file based on your category ID or slug. This will take precedence over the standard category.php file. So if you wanted to create specific pages for recipes, you could just make a category-recipe.php file or a category-5.php (if your recipe ID is 5). Is that what you're asking?

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

excidium posted:

You should be able to create a new .php file based on your category ID or slug. This will take precedence over the standard category.php file. So if you wanted to create specific pages for recipes, you could just make a category-recipe.php file or a category-5.php (if your recipe ID is 5). Is that what you're asking?

I never thought of that but that seems like it should work perfectly fine. Thanks!

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

KuruMonkey posted:

Do you want to add Tags to your Pages? (as in not Posts)

If so I don't know, but I'd be interested in the possibility too.

Are you wanting archive Pages, but listing Posts for a Tag not for a Category?

In which case http://www.example.com?tag=YOUR_TAG_SLUG will do it.
With my permalink setup http://www.example.com/tag/YOUR_TAG_SLUG works too.
there are tag list plugins out there (but most are "clouds"...)
I did once find a widget that made a simple text menu of all tags on the site, but I can't remember it now.

Use:
code:
wp_tag_cloud('format=list')
to spit out your tags formatted into an unordered list and then throw in whatever other filtering arguments you want.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_tag_cloud

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
Hoookay. So I'm working on a gallery update for a client. I want to be able to list galleries as a gallery (i.e. one image from each gallery displayed next to other images in a gallery format, and linked to the page which the original gallery is on)

I'll try to explain better.

Say I have three galleries:
- Hammers
- Spanners
- Screwdrivers

They are all on their own page, and have images set up.

What I want to do is make a page with a 'tools' master gallery. This would display one photo from each of the three other galleries, and the photo would link to the actual gallery (so the photo of a hammer would link to the "Hammers" page).

Now, I've got MOST of this working, using the "Media Tags" plugin, and with some adaptation of the "Tag Gallery" plugin. The one thing that I'm having trouble with is, from an "attachment" post (i.e. an image), finding the page that it is attached to.

Now I KNOW there must be a function for this SOMEWHERE, because when you're looking through the "Media" page in the back end, images that are in a gallery have "Attached to", which points to the correct page.

I have tried a number of things, mostly revolving around "parent" based functions, but apparently Media is attached to a page some other way (i.e. not as a "child" of the page).

Oh, and there IS a function which, given a page, finds all media attached to it, so I assume that there has to be a function which works the other way.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I am struggling with this stupid error.... on the cart of this site https://www.total-outdoors.co.uk I cannot remove, or update the cart. I have change/ removed all the other plugins to see if I could remove the error but its still happening! Can anyone tell me what the conflict is?

I installed wp-debug and it just shows "Fatal error: Call to undefined function getallheaders() in /home/total/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-debug/krumo/class.krumo.php on line 260" but surely that is the wp-debug files themselves?!?

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

bobthecheese posted:

I have tried a number of things, mostly revolving around "parent" based functions, but apparently Media is attached to a page some other way (i.e. not as a "child" of the page).

OK, figured this out now.

php:
<?
// Get all the images
$images = get_posts(array("post_type"=>"attachment","author"=>0));

foreach ($images as $k=>$v) {
    // Get the parent post as an array
    $parent = get_post($v['post_parent'],'ARRAY_A');
    // The parent array doesn't have the URL, but has a guid,
    //     which isn't necessarily the URL. To get the URL,
    //     We need to find the permalink from the ID.
    $parent['url'] = get_permalink( $parent['ID'] );

// Add it to the image info
    $images[$k]['parent'] = $parent;
}
?>
This is somewhat simplified, but pretty much what's needed.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

the kawaiiest posted:

How do I make the archive page show more posts than what I have set up for the main blog page? I show 3 posts per page on my blog but I'd like the archives to show 10 per page.

Edit: I know a little PHP but obviously not enough to make this work. I was messing with query_posts(), but it wasn't working out. Help?

No one? :(

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

No one? :(

php:
<?
$query = new WP_Query( 'posts_per_page=3' );?>
from http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/WP_Query

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

bobthecheese posted:

php:
<?
$query = new WP_Query( 'posts_per_page=3' );?>
from http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/WP_Query
Well don't I feel dumb now. :saddowns:

Thank you.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

thegasman2000 posted:

I am struggling with this stupid error.... on the cart of this site https://www.total-outdoors.co.uk I cannot remove, or update the cart. I have change/ removed all the other plugins to see if I could remove the error but its still happening! Can anyone tell me what the conflict is?

I installed wp-debug and it just shows "Fatal error: Call to undefined function getallheaders() in /home/total/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-debug/krumo/class.krumo.php on line 260" but surely that is the wp-debug files themselves?!?

Not running on apache perhaps?

http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.getallheaders.php

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

bobthecheese posted:

OK, figured this out now.

This is somewhat simplified, but pretty much what's needed.

You should probably set up a custom post type and then enable post-thumbnails and use them. It is the best way to do what you want in my opinion.

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Always five, acting as one. Dedicated! Inseparable! Invincible!
Hi,

I'm trying to run some tasks on my blog every time a post is published. I'm using the 'wp_insert_post_data' to hook into it like this:

code:
function wgd_filter_post( $data  )
{
  // Do stuff...
  return ( $data );
}

add_filter ( 'wp_insert_post_data' , 'wgd_filter_post' , 99 );

However I'm finding it's getting called multiple times - sometimes 2, sometimes up to 6 times. Is there a way to ensure this only gets called once?

edit:
Worked it out folks, I was copying some bad sample code. I should have been using an action hook:
code:
add_action ( 'publish_post'  , 'wgd_filter_post'  );

RyanNotBrian fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 18, 2011

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007
Quick question for anyone in the know. I run a retro game blog. I just started doing some point rated reviews. Would there be a good plugin for managing the reviews, and perhaps making them search-able?

Thanks

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a client that has a site straight out of 1997. The problem is they have a ton of content on the site and have some god awful scheme for the URLs on that site - something like index.php?contenttype=j2lkjlskdjfl&post=23884 - along those lines.

Is there a way I can take these URLs, and "associate" them with the same page on a Wordpress site? I'm quoting them for the design/transition to a Wordpress powered site right now, so if it is possible to have this type of thing done, I want to let them know that. Not sure if it is apache related or strictly wordpress, but any guidance would be welcome.

For what it is worth, they have an intern who will be entering all the content into Wordpress manually, since their current site is a mess as is. Having a custom field to insert the URL on the post/page editor would be sweet, but again, not sure if this is possible.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I have a client that has a site straight out of 1997. The problem is they have a ton of content on the site and have some god awful scheme for the URLs on that site - something like index.php?contenttype=j2lkjlskdjfl&post=23884 - along those lines.

Is there a way I can take these URLs, and "associate" them with the same page on a Wordpress site? I'm quoting them for the design/transition to a Wordpress powered site right now, so if it is possible to have this type of thing done, I want to let them know that. Not sure if it is apache related or strictly wordpress, but any guidance would be welcome.

For what it is worth, they have an intern who will be entering all the content into Wordpress manually, since their current site is a mess as is. Having a custom field to insert the URL on the post/page editor would be sweet, but again, not sure if this is possible.

There is a "permalink changer" plugin that I have recently just used for a similar sounding job. Not sure if it owuld help in this instance, though, so maybe you will just have to write up some 301 hell in a .htaccess file.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gyshall posted:

Very possible and I have been working on a good technique for doing this. How big is the site?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ned posted:

Very possible and I have been working on a good technique for doing this. How big is the site?

The "source" site is made up of about 200 pages or so, give or take. My goal is to have something on the New Post/page site to say "this is where the old page was", but I'll really settle for anything.

Another question - what is the best Facebook widget plugin? Just something that can show the "Like this" button on pages, or a generic widget that shows all the peoples' faces maybe.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gyshall posted:

The "source" site is made up of about 200 pages or so, give or take. My goal is to have something on the New Post/page site to say "this is where the old page was", but I'll really settle for anything.

Another question - what is the best Facebook widget plugin? Just something that can show the "Like this" button on pages, or a generic widget that shows all the peoples' faces maybe.

PM me the url for the old site. I'll take a look at some things.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The old site is actually sitting on an internal box on the network and is not web facing. We don't admin their firewall or I'd make it web facing temporarily.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I use the plugin custom permalinks, might help as you could specify the permalink to be the messed up old one?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Ned posted:

Not running on apache perhaps?

http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/function.getallheaders.php

Yep, but I have no idea what the link shows?!?#

Is this an easy fix?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
The function it is calling only works on apache. If you have a different webserver it isn't going to work.

Remove wp-debug and you'll be fine. That plugin hasn't been updated in 3 and a half years. It is poo poo.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm making a Wordpress site for a world bike tour that I'm going to go on and have a couple of questions.

1. I have a Smugmug account, are there any Wordpress plugins that are recommended?
2. I will be recording my GPS track every day. I want a page where a date can be chosen and then have it display both the track and the associated geotagged photos on a map. How do I do that?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This is kind of odd. This code:
code:
if (is_page('0') == true) {
echo 'Poop';
}
Shows up on TWO separate pages on this site. Why in the world are there two page 0s in this wordpress install? How the heck does this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

revmoo posted:

This is kind of odd. This code:
code:
if (is_page('0') == true) {
echo 'Poop';
}
Shows up on TWO separate pages on this site. Why in the world are there two page 0s in this wordpress install? How the heck does this work?

when you dig into it, is_page() simply calls $wp_query->is_page(). Which has this little bon-mot in it;

php:
<?
if ( empty( $page ) )
            return true;
?>
Checking empty(); '0' is on the list of 'empty values'

Edit; to be fair though; you were, logically, asking it to check for a title or slug of '0' - not the page with id=0, which I suspect is what you mean? IDs are integers; send an integer.

KuruMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 29, 2011