Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So apparently the team who won the league championship at my rink last night, subbed in a ringer from their higher-league team between the 1st and 2nd periods. As in, he was sitting in the stands watching the 1st. He's the second top scorer on their higher team.

He proceeds to score 3 goals in the 3rd to win the game. Classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So apparently the team who won the league championship at my rink last night, subbed in a ringer from their higher-league team between the 1st and 2nd periods. As in, he was sitting in the stands watching the 1st. He's the second top scorer on their higher team.

He proceeds to score 3 goals in the 3rd to win the game. Classy.

Aren't there rules about submitting a roster before the game or something?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well the hockey director came on the ice and said basically since there was no explicit rule (even though there should be, also it's a jackass move), that he's going to allow it.

This dude has no backbone and doesn't enforce anything. It doesn't surprise me that he allowed it, to be honest.

e: VVV Bingo.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 21, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This dude has no backbone and doesn't enforce anything. It doesn't surprise me that he allowed it, to be honest.

Translation: he doesn't want to risk losing their registration costs if showing some backbone results in a team storming off in a huff.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

bigmike posted:

Anyone have an opinion on helmets regarding concussions? There have been a wave of players who have been wearing the Cascade M11 after coming back from concussions but I've heard skeptics abound regarding their research. Their helmets are designed to be ultra-flexible (you can almost bend them in half with your hands) rather than stiff like most helmets. I've heard opinions where those are only beneficial for big hits from NHL players. It's a relatively new helmet so there isn't really a lot of data, empirical or otherwise. I'm considering that or the Bauer 9900 which is the more traditional helmet.

I've had a few hockey related concussions and recently took a very bad one from a hiking accident. Almost any hit to the head causes concussion symptoms for me now so I don't even know if a helmet really is going to make a difference.

I've heard that some pros with concussion problems will use bicycle foam in their helmets. It does a good job of absorbing energy, but it does so at the cost of destroying the foam. NHL players can afford to do this, but it probably isn't realistic for a beer leaguer. You could possibly contact Phil Maltese and see what he thinks about outfitting a player helmet with his gel padding.

What materials are players helmets made out of these days? Are they still using ABS (platic) or is there anyone using kevlar or carbon fibre? I know that the type of impacts that goalies take to the mask are different than what players experience, so I don't know if you would want an ultra rigid and strong helmet that deflects impacts or if a more flexible helmet designed to compress and absorb the impact would be better.

Is there any such thing as a custom helmet maker? The closest I've seen is a guy that recreates the old SK2000 masks, but using kevlar and carbon fibre.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 21, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Am I going to notice a difference between the Vapor X50 and X60 skates to warrant the extra $80-100, or should I save the cash?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Aniki posted:

I've heard that some pros with concussion problems will use bicycle foam in their helmets. It does a good job of absorbing energy, but it does so at the cost of destroying the foam. NHL players can afford to do this, but it probably isn't realistic for a beer leaguer. You could possibly contact Phil Maltese and see what he thinks about outfitting a player helmet with his gel padding.

What materials are players helmets made out of these days? Are they still using ABS (platic) or is there anyone using kevlar or carbon fibre? I know that the type of impacts that goalies take to the mask are different than what players experience, so I don't know if you would want an ultra rigid and strong helmet that deflects impacts or if a more flexible helmet designed to compress and absorb the impact would be better.

Is there any such thing as a custome helmet maker? The closest I've seen is a guy that recreates the old SK2000 masks, but using kevlar and carbon fibre.

The majority of helmets use an EPP foam liner which is pretty stiff with padded liners that touch the head. This is what I have now in an older Bauer model (top of the line at the time).

The Cascade has a (very) flexible outer plastic shell with their honeycomb foam directly touching the head. You can bend that helmet in half with your hands, but obviously its a different reaction with a solid head inside. There doesn't seem to be a consensus that this is a better solution. We can only notice that NHL'ers dealing with concussions have started using this helmet.

Easton also has their S19 which has a nearly indestructible ultra stiff outer shell with very limited padding on the inside. It's made of the same material as motorcycle helmets.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Am I going to notice a difference between the Vapor X50 and X60 skates to warrant the extra $80-100, or should I save the cash?

Probably not. I think the 50s are actually lighter than the 60s, this based on my careful examination of them conducted by picking them up. The main differences are just in the materials, which goes probably to durability than anything else. If you're skating once or twice a week you won't notice a shred of difference.

In related news these firesales on the Vapors are some of the best skate deals I've seen in a while, if you're even considering getting new skates now is the time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that's what I figured. $320 on Hockey Monkey for X50s is a slammin deal. Too bad my pro-shop said they'd only discount them to $435 :(

Hey at least HM is doing free 2-day shipping!

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Yeah that's what I figured. $320 on Hockey Monkey for X50s is a slammin deal. Too bad my pro-shop said they'd only discount them to $435 :(

Hey at least HM is doing free 2-day shipping!

I would get the x60s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How significant is skate weight, really?

The $300 Reebok 8k's I got already feel feather light, I can't imagine saving any energy or being more agile if I had something even lighter. Granted I'm at the bottom of the heap in terms of ability to skate so I'm not much of an authority.

Is it just common perception that "low weight == speed" and therefore all pro's have to have them? Or is there a measurable impact?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

How significant is skate weight, really?

The $300 Reebok 8k's I got already feel feather light, I can't imagine saving any energy or being more agile if I had something even lighter. Granted I'm at the bottom of the heap in terms of ability to skate so I'm not much of an authority.

Is it just common perception that "low weight == speed" and therefore all pro's have to have them? Or is there a measurable impact?

well you see energy = (1/2)*mass*velocity^2 and

yes lighter skates make a difference. It is not negligible over the course of a 60 minute game or even a 60 second shift. also it is much easier to accelerate something with less than mass since there is a linear relationship there

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bigmike posted:

Easton also has their S19 which has a nearly indestructible ultra stiff outer shell with very limited padding on the inside. It's made of the same material as motorcycle helmets.

I have an s19 and I love it, the second time I used it I got tripped and slammed my head into the ice then into the boards at full bore, I got a bit dazed from the shock but there was no pain in my head and no effects afterwards.

I'm pretty confident it would have been more painful with my old helmet, but obviously I cant say for sure, I've had 3 concussions from hockey over the years, the worst one was from doing almost exactly what I did recently. Except I was skating faster and I hit the back of my head on the boards.

I have a fairly new Bauer 4500 that I've been using (I've had tons of helmets but always end up back at the 4000 style), but when I found the S19 and one that fit me I bought it right away, price be damned.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hey, I saw a dude playing pickup today at the Mt. Lebo ice rink here in Pittsburgh wearing a Goon Squad jersey. Was it any one of you guys?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

Hey, I saw a dude playing pickup today at the Mt. Lebo ice rink here in Pittsburgh wearing a Goon Squad jersey. Was it any one of you guys?

Is that the jersey with the :iamafag: on it? If so, I know they have an inline team at Neville

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Is that the jersey with the :iamafag: on it? If so, I know they have an inline team at Neville

Um... maybe, I didn't see it too well. It's yellow and definitely says GOONSQUAD on it.

(I was on the other team so I wasn't paying too much attention to his jersey and I had to leave early so I didn't get to be all super creepy and stairs him, though maybe it'd have distracted him during his shift :v:)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
You use your feet daily(I assume),why not pay to protect them? I have posted about it before but I tore ligaments in my ankle in a lovely boot and wont make that mistake again.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was puttering around the internet today and found this:

http://www.mlxskates.com/

I found it after reading an article from some pissed off dude about how Malkin had switched from X60s to a "no name skate", then a bunch of people wrongly guessed it was a pair of Eastons. Apparently several NHL players are using these now, which is pretty cool for a startup company (it helps that Lemieux is around it). It also looks like they've come down in price a lot since they first hit the market. I think the best thing about them is they strongly resembles the Micron Mega skates Mario wore back in the late 80s. :cool:

Anyway, this might be the only way out there right now for choads like us to actually buy handmade pro level skates, and for less than a pair of the new Vapors off the shelf! I have to admit I'm kind of interested.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty cool, I like how they actually advocate baking the skates on your own at home.

Too bad I don't need a $600 pair of skates.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
They have a huge thread over at modsquad but two dudes from the MLX PR firm were trolling all the negative comments and it got closed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What were the negatives people were bitching about?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

What were the negatives people were bitching about?

The thread is 50+ pages, next time I'm bored at work(tomorrow) I will take a look.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think this is the thread in question?

I just glanced through it, it was pretty interesting. There were a bunch of posters who were WTF IS THIS when they first saw it at $800, then a bunch of people ordered it when a 50% code came up. Seems like just about everyone who got a pair really liked it except for a couple of guys who couldn't get the fit right as they had strange feet. Apparently they look really, really handmade, carbon and stitching is rough and whatnot which is both cool and a little odd given their price point.

Then it looks like some guys from an e-marketing firm started posting in the thread. It seemed pretty innocuous to me (and misplaced, people on the board seemed to love the skates) but they got all pissed and closed it down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be fine with the handmade look, as long as they fit well. My foot is EE wide, and it took forever to find a skate that fit acceptably.

Maybe in six years when I need new skates I'll try these out!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

By the way, whoever suggested getting Superfeet inserts for my skates is a drat genius.

Night and day difference.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Do you guys think it's worth moving up from a vapor x20 to a x40 since they are on sale? The x20s are a year old and I've noticed that after a session they weigh a ton.

Ive been doing the adult skating skills clinic again for the last three weeks. Ive improved a ton since last summer and zip through most of the drills. Ive weeded out a couple bad habbits in the process. I signed up as a defensman but got to play second line wing last night. I did pretty well, I had two break aways and tried my best to shoot in stride and aimed 5hole each time, but I lifted it too much and hit his thigh/crotch both times.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Fingers McGee posted:

Do you guys think it's worth moving up from a vapor x20 to a x40 since they are on sale? The x20s are a year old and I've noticed that after a session they weigh a ton.

Ive been doing the adult skating skills clinic again for the last three weeks. Ive improved a ton since last summer and zip through most of the drills. Ive weeded out a couple bad habbits in the process. I signed up as a defensman but got to play second line wing last night. I did pretty well, I had two break aways and tried my best to shoot in stride and aimed 5hole each time, but I lifted it too much and hit his thigh/crotch both times.

I have x30s but I would think from a 20 to a 40 is a good jump since the 20 is the lowest end.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Fingers McGee posted:

I moved from an X:20 to an X:60 actually, but it has the same kickpoint stuff as the X:40. I love it, I noticed that I shoot SO MUCH BETTER with the moving kickpoint, plus the weight is so much better. The materials it's made out of are a lot better too... I know I shouldn't but I've actually used it on concrete and it hasn't hosed it up at all. I'd say get it if it's not gonna break your budget, you should notice a huge improvement with the moving kickpoint I think.

E: Oh you're talking about skates v0v sorry. I have x:30 skates and they're pretty good, so I don't see the point of my upgrading to the x:40s, although from x:20s I'd definitely upgrade if you could.

Also, I know I'm just starting so technically I don't /need/ an x:60, but I'm buying it used off of a friend and it's gonna be like $110 or so :)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think the X20s have thermoformable material, that alone would be a significant upgrade if you've never had it.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yes I meant the skates. Also yes they do not have thermoformable material. On a side note I did move from a supreme one 20 stick to a 60 and love it so far.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Good GOD man, if you don't have bake-able skates then by all means, get you some!

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Thanks for the tips on stopping, it kind of just clicked today and was able to start doing it decently

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Good GOD man, if you don't have bake-able skates then by all means, get you some!

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

What's the maximum safe temperature for bake-able skates before they start to get soft? This is significant because I tend to leave my skates in the car, so I can go to open skate for my lunch break. But with summer approaching, temperature in my car usually gets well over 100 degrees and I'd like to avoid reshaping my boots every afternoon.

Googling around it looks like most skate ovens warm the boot up to 170-180 degrees for heat fitting, but I couldn't find any info on when the plastic starts to get soft.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as skates in a hot car go. If anything it'll make them more comfortable to put on, as opposed to skates which have been sitting in a parked car for 9 hours in a Metra lot in sub-zero temperatures. I have experience with the latter, and boy howdy did it suck.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I don't play hockey very often because there's nobody in my area that plays (smalltown Ohio) but I'm a member of a hockey forum that has an annual meet-up roller game, so I bought a used pair of skates online.

The problem is that I wear a 13 shoe, and finding skates that fit was hard as hell. I ended up with a used pair of 12D Missions, but they still seem too small. When I skate for any length of time, my arches throb and it hurts to walk when I take the skates off. Any idea what could be causing that?

It usually helps a little if I wrap my instep and arches with tape before I start skating, but then as soon as I take the tape off, it hurts to walk again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not necessarily a fitting problem.. you might have a flat foot and the skate is stretching the tendons that maintain your arch in a way it's not used to.

Can experiment with inserts if you like, or go talk to a podiatrist to get it diagnosed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Woohoo, ordering some cheap Vapor X50s tonight!

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Cheezymadman posted:

I don't play hockey very often because there's nobody in my area that plays (smalltown Ohio) but I'm a member of a hockey forum that has an annual meet-up roller game, so I bought a used pair of skates online.

The problem is that I wear a 13 shoe, and finding skates that fit was hard as hell. I ended up with a used pair of 12D Missions, but they still seem too small. When I skate for any length of time, my arches throb and it hurts to walk when I take the skates off. Any idea what could be causing that?

It usually helps a little if I wrap my instep and arches with tape before I start skating, but then as soon as I take the tape off, it hurts to walk again.

Try grabbing a pair of really thin hockey liners/socks. That can make the difference of about a half to full size over a pair of bulky cotton socks. Under Armour makes them for multiple sports if you can't find the hockey specific ones.

Similarly insoles like super feet can make up another half to full skate size too but I don't know if you want to drop $30+ for a once annual event.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Make sure your not over tightening your skates too much either.

When I was breaking in my new skates it was hell for the first 10 hours, then mildly uncomfortable for the next 10, and now they feel like natural extensions of my feet. I use yellow Superfeet + Underarmor hockey socks as well, they really did make a big difference during break in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Petit.Conan posted:

Make sure your not over tightening your skates too much either.

When I was breaking in my new skates it was hell for the first 10 hours, then mildly uncomfortable for the next 10, and now they feel like natural extensions of my feet. I use yellow Superfeet + Underarmor hockey socks as well, they really did make a big difference during break in.

I think I have the same UA hockey socks you're talking about and they are awesome. I used to like playing in dress socks because they were the thinnest socks I owned but these UAs are just sublime.

sockchat.