Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dramatika posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.

Haha, that's pretty great.

I still love Brandon's description of what he thought Harry Dresden would've done in last year's Suvudu match:

quote:

"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dramatika posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.

I think... I think I would go gay for Brandon Sanderson. Fortunately he's not down with that, so instead I will just buy poo poo from him.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author and poo poo like that is the reason why. It's not just that he writes good books. He's just a cool dude. :3:

It's a shame he hasn't done any events anywhere near here since I discovered this fact. I'd love to go to a signing of his or something.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Lzn64 posted:

Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author and poo poo like that is the reason why. It's not just that he writes good books. He's just a cool dude. :3:

It's a shame he hasn't done any events anywhere near here since I discovered this fact. I'd love to go to a signing of his or something.

I love the little quip about Wizardy's First Rule instead of Wizard's First Rule. I bet he is a really fun guy to hang out with too.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Have I already posted in this thread that I loving LOVED TWoK? MAN I am salivating for the next one. Mistborn was pretty inconstant, with parts being loving awesome, and other parts being a chore with plastic characters, but TWoK is just a solid-rear end book. Other than Kelsier I mean Kaladin being just a little too capable of rallying no matter how many times he's beaten down, I loved every last word.

Unnnnnfff just leavin a little thread jizz in here.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Other than Kelsier I mean Kaladin being just a little too capable of rallying no matter how many times he's beaten down, I loved every last word.

I just remembered why Kaladin seemed so drat familiar.

Kaladim is the dwarf city in Everquest 1. I killed so many loving dwarfs.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Dramatika posted:

"COMMUNISTS!!!"

That's fantastic reading. Much better than the one on the suvudu site.

IRQ posted:

I just remembered why Kaladin seemed so drat familiar.

Kaladim is the dwarf city in Everquest 1. I killed so many loving dwarfs.

Holy poo poo I didn't even think of that. I played way to much Everquest, but didn't spend much time in Kaladim (wasn't that on the continent no one went too?).

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I just read it as Kaladin, who was strongly principled, would fight for the weak, was connected to warriors battling in massive plate armour, and who would party with Karbarian, Kleric, Kizard, Kard and Kogue to venture into kungeons to fight kragons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

subx posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even think of that. I played way to much Everquest, but didn't spend much time in Kaladim (wasn't that on the continent no one went too?).

Yeah but that meant that it was usually deserted. I was best buds with a necromancer as a mage (anyone who knows the game will understand) so we could just sit around the dwarf city and murder the guards for decent exp and good money off their weapons.

e: derail? I would bet money Sanderson played EQ too so probably not.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Dramatika posted:

I think the GRRM thread is ruining me, but I honestly thought (given Goodkind) that Vin would at some point almost be sexually assaulted.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I sometimes read the bad thread even though I only read the first third of A Game of Thrones. It's pretty awesome.

I think I'm going to give ASOIAF another shot after I finish with Shadows of the Apt.

It's between that and either reading Mieville - The Scar, or getting started on Scott Lynch. I have too many unread books on my shelf.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Well, there's certainly no rush to get through ASoIaF--GRRM is the polar opposite of Sanderson in that he seems to hate writing and consequently will never finish the series.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Dramatika posted:

I sometimes read the bad thread even though I only read the first third of A Game of Thrones. It's pretty awesome.

I think I'm going to give ASOIAF another shot after I finish with Shadows of the Apt.

It's between that and either reading Mieville - The Scar, or getting started on Scott Lynch. I have too many unread books on my shelf.

If you haven't read any Mieville before, go for The Scar. The writing can be a little heavy, but the sheer unbridled creativity in it is worth it.

(He's also one of the few fantasy authors who'll write something other than a straight white male as the lead. Iron Council particularly is a breath of fresh air in that department)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 24, 2011

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Nah, I read Perdido Street Station a little under a year ago, bought Iron Council and The Scar, but was so depressed upon finishing PSS (both for plot and personal reasons) that I wasn't up to starting another Mieville book quite yet. PSS was awesome, but my ex and I broke up the day I finished it :v:

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
That was a pretty awesome shot at Terry Goodkind that miraculously was free of rape and diarrhea spouting chickens.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

BananaNutkins posted:

That was a pretty awesome shot at Terry Goodkind that miraculously was free of rape and diarrhea spouting chickens.

The best part of it was that before he posted that Zedd was winning the poll by a fair amount; but the day it was posted Vin shot ahead by well over a thousand votes.

Cytokinesis fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 25, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cytokinesis posted:

The best part of it was that before he posted that Zedd was winning the poll by a fair amount; but the day it was posted Vin shot ahead by well over a thousand votes.

Mostly nobody even knows it's happening until one of the authors says something.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

Mostly nobody even knows it's happening until one of the authors says something.

And this year's bracket is bananas. If you've read SoIaF, remember the difference between the Hand's Tourney and Joffrey's Tourney?

Yes, this year's tournament is a tournament of gnats. There's only one or two decent characters in the lot.

Vin, Quick Ben, Perrin Aybara...the reset are almost entirely crap. Mandorallen, really? What's he gonna do, talk Vin during a fight to the death while wearing fifty pounds of metal? Debate honor with Perrin's pack of wolves? Quick Ben would just laugh.

Riiiiight. Most of the rest are just as bad.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

ConfusedUs posted:

Vin, Quick Ben, Perrin Aybara...the reset are almost entirely crap. Mandorallen, really? What's he gonna do, talk Vin during a fight to the death while wearing fifty pounds of metal? Debate honor with Perrin's pack of wolves? Quick Ben would just laugh.

Holy poo poo, I hadn't thought about the Belgariad / Mallorean for years. Am I remembering correctly that the 2nd trilogy not only shamelessly repeats the first, but has some really regressive sexual / social politics? Like wasn't there a scene in which the protagonist is in the capital city of what had heretofore been the evil empire, hanging with the emperor (who it turns out, hey, is a cool dude) and there is some kind of student revolt? Then the emperor has all the students massacred, and the protagonist thinks "what a good idea. Those whiny students thought they wouldn't have to suffer the consequences, but he sure showed them."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't remember a student massacre but the rest is spot on

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Am I also remembering correctly that the Eddings universe contained a whole nation of hook nosed, rat-faced schemers who basically worshiped money and could not resist the urge to haggle about anything and everything? But it was ok, they were with the good guys.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bizob posted:

Am I also remembering correctly that the Eddings universe contained a whole nation of hook nosed, rat-faced schemers who basically worshiped money and could not resist the urge to haggle about anything and everything? But it was ok, they were with the good guys.

Yes. But to be fair, every nationality/race was a stereotype unto itself.

You had your nation of Viking berserkers, your race of Jewish spies, your nation of honest farmers, your nation of drug-addict hippies, your society of tribal horse-culture nomads, and so on.

Any member of a race without a name could be swapped for any other of the same race. They were just cardboard cutouts of a character. Only the major players in the story got any sort of development at all.

I have a soft spot for Eddings' Belgariand and Mallorean books, but even I admit that they were very very cookie-cutter in their execution.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 27, 2011

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Bizob posted:

It's ok because the best character in the entire series was their prince :v:

Also I just finished reading The Way of Kings and now I'm gonna go back to the beginning of this thread and relish the theories and speculations I hope are hidden behind all the spoilertext to help fill the void between now and whenever the next Stormlight book comes out.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

ConfusedUs posted:

I have a soft spot for Eddings' Belgariand and Mallorean books, but even I admit that they were very very cookie-cutter in their execution.

I have the same soft spot since I read them when I was young, but even worse was hopping over to the Elenium and Tamuli afterwards. Same drat archetypes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

isk posted:

I have the same soft spot since I read them when I was young, but even worse was hopping over to the Elenium and Tamuli afterwards. Same drat archetypes.

The Tamuli and Elenium just weren't as good. Archetypes everywhere was not the problem. The problem was that they were boring. I read the Elenium not too awfully long ago and I can barely remember anything about those books.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Could be worse, could be The Redemption of Althalus. Every horrible cliché and flat character from his previous books given a slightly different name and squeezed into a single book.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, after reading Warbreaker a while ago and finding it decent, I decided to check out Mistborn. Aahhhhhhhhhhh those last three chapters, I must be getting very slack, as I saw none of that happening. (Other than the return of the darkdeepness)

Thank you people in the Dresden Files thread for reminding me about this author. It was worth burning a Sunday to finish this book in one sitting.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 3, 2011

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

So, after reading Warbreaker a while ago and finding it decent, I decided to check out Mistborn. Aahhhhhhhhhhh those last three chapters, I must be getting very slack, as I saw none of that happening. (Other than the return of the darkdeepness)

Thank you people in the Dresden Files thread for reminding me about this author. It was worth burning a Sunday to finish this book in one sitting.

Are you talking about the end of The Final Empire or Hero of Ages, because with Sanderson's (well done) foreshadowing, you should have a pretty good idea of where everything is going. fake edit: Well, almost. I missedSazed being the Hero of Ages.

I'm re-reading the whole trilogy right now, and I love the early scenes with Vin and oerseur after it's actually tensoon. If you know what happens you can really tell there's something off about his personality, but the first time you just shrug it off, like Vin did.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

senae posted:

I missedSazed being the Hero of Ages.

I didn't quite catch it, but I towards the end I noticed that the chapter bumps from Hero were pretty similar to Sazed's speaking style.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I didn't quite catch it, but I towards the end I noticed that the chapter bumps from Hero were pretty similar to Sazed's speaking style.

It's even better when you listen to the audiobook because the guy reads all the Hero of Ages bits literally in Sazed's voice.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

How are the audiobook versions of the books?

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

I enjoyed them quite a bit. Michael Kramer did a great job and I loved his voices for pretty much all the characters. Even though he sort of did give Elend Kelsier's voice. it's not like Kelsier was going to be needing it anymore by the time Elend becomes a major character :v:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Lzn64 posted:

I enjoyed them quite a bit. Michael Kramer did a great job and I loved his voices for pretty much all the characters. Even though he sort of did give Elend Kelsier's voice. it's not like Kelsier was going to be needing it anymore by the time Elend becomes a major character :v:

Haha, true. I might grab them at some point for when I have a long drive--my favorite environment for audiobooks, since you can sometimes just listen to them straight through, depending on the length of the book.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

senae posted:

Are you talking about the end of The Final Empire or Hero of Ages, because with Sanderson's (well done) foreshadowing, you should have a pretty good idea of where everything is going. fake edit: Well, almost. I missedSazed being the Hero of Ages.

I was talking about The Final Empire, although I just spoiled myself because I quoted you. Woops. This is why I should not post as soon as I wake up. I've just started the second book (At Part Two) and I'm starting to worry about characters dieing.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

SystemLogoff posted:

I was talking about The Final Empire, although I just spoiled myself because I quoted you. Woops. This is why I should not post as soon as I wake up. I've just started the second book (At Part Two) and I'm starting to worry about characters dieing.

Book two is the weakest of the three in my opinion, you'll feel that it drags a bit, but since there's no waiting for book 3, it's not too big of a deal.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

Lzn64 posted:

And the voice he does for Breeze is really amazing, it somehow perfectly captures his personality in every line.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

BannedNewbie posted:

And the voice he does for Breeze is really amazing, it somehow perfectly captures his personality in every line.

Yeah Breeze and Sazed in particular are very well done I think.

Silenced Parrot
Dec 20, 2008

My god, it's full of Booze!
I feel as though I'll be in the minority round these parts, but I like the UK cover of The Alloy of Law much more than the US, goggles be damned.

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/977/UK-Cover-Art-for-THE-ALLOY-OF-LAW

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Lzn64 posted:

Yeah Breeze and Sazed in particular are very well done I think.

It's the same guy that does the wheel of time series. I actually listened to all 13 books so far in audio format, I don't think I could have done that without someone as talented as him doing the narration.

Edit: God drat I just checked and thats just short of 420 hours of braid tugging in audio format.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Silenced Parrot posted:

I feel as though I'll be in the minority round these parts, but I like the UK cover of The Alloy of Law much more than the US, goggles be damned.

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/977/UK-Cover-Art-for-THE-ALLOY-OF-LAW

I like everything about it except for the person that was drawn.