Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holy poo poo, they're pulling a Peter Steiner-Davion.

Are you familiar with the shielding ability the Royal Guard in the Jihad gets? Should totally use that in something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Eh, not my clan of choice, but total destruction will most likely [don't ignore the luck of the dice!] still occur. Let the battle (? or slaughter?) commence! :black101:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Good luck, guys! Glad I left on the last ship.

You know, I think I understand why mercenaries get so much screen time now. They have a much better personality-to-'mech ratio.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

paragon1 posted:

So how are Mech forces organized, anyway? I know it's usually 4 to a lance, but where does it go from there?

Using Steiner ranks right now since it's appropriate.
4 mechs to a lance. The guy in charge is a 1st Leutnant (Lieutenant)
3 lances in a company. Lead by a Hauptmann (Captain).
There's three companies in a battalion, with an independent lance for the Kommandant (Major) in charge.
Three battalions in a regiment. Commanded by a Colonel. The XO is a Leutnant-Colonel. In the LCAF, the top battalion CO is a Hauptmann-Kommandant.

You don't really see mech regiments integrated above that, but theoretically there's three regiments in a Brigade and three Brigades in a Division.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
As for the mechs we are piloting:

Cyclops CP-10-Z
90 tons
4/6/0 movement
10 tons armor
12 heatsinks

AC/20
LRM-10
SRM-4
Medium Laser x2

Close ranged bruiser. Get in close and unleash hell. Weak armor for an assault mech though.

Zeus ZEU-6S
80 tons
4/6/0 movement
11.50 tons armor
17 heatsinks

LRM-15
Large Laser
Autocannon/5
Medium Laser
Medium Laser (R)

Just the opposite of the Cyclops. Stand back and fire away at long range and hope your armor lasts against the clans mighty firepower.

Banshee BNC-3S
95 tons
3/5/0 movement
15 tons armor
21 heatsinks

2x PPC
Autocannon/10
4x Medium Laser
SRM-6
2x Small Laser

A monster of a mech. This might be the best assault mech of all the 3025 mechs. Two PPCs and the Autocannon give it massive punch at range, while the lasers and missiles make it something nobody wants to fight at close. It also has enough armor to withstand almost anything.

Wolfhound WLF-1
35 tons
6/9/0 movement
7.50 tons armor
10 heatsinks

Large Laser
3x Medium Laser
Medium laser (R)

The only non-assault mech in the group. Obviously you do not want to go toe to toe with any clan mech. Speed is key. If you can get behind the enemy you can make yourself a big nuisance. With the Large Laser the mech is still dangerous at range, while the medium lasers give it solid punch up close.

Remember: Killing the enemy star isn't your primary objective, but if you think you can pull it off, go for it. Just make sure to stay alive! A rather solid lance all around, although only the Wolfhound is anything remotely mobile. Still, facing clanners means solid just isn't good enough. The dropships have enough firepower to cause the clanners pause, but they are sitting ducks and will die rather fast once they make themselves into targets. Too bad none of you have anything special in regards to pilots, but I am sure there will be enough advantages on the battlefield to allow you to stand against a star of clan omnimechs. Just do yourselves a huge favor and adhere to Zellbriggen, even if the Wolfhound finds itself facing a Dire Wolf.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 24, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arquinsiel posted:

Should that be the CP-10-Z Cyclops?

There's actually some decent firepower here with the IS lance and the Rommel. It'll be a tough fight, but it can be done.

Two courses of action:

1: stay at range, try not to die.
2: mix it up all personal like.

Both have pros and cons. The Clanners will gently caress your poo poo up at range, and gently caress it up faster up close. The close-range advantage is that your pilots will be more likely to throw the boot in than the Clanners, and the tank and Cyclops have AC20s, the Banshee an AC10 and multiple SRMs and Med Lasers.

In any other game I'd recommend using the Wolfhound to protect against backstabbers, but here it'll have to stand or fall on it's own merits.

Guess you guys should have picked the jagermech and stalker combo after all :smugbert:.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Feh. The Banshee is as good as both of them combined. Now that the Imp doesn't exist there is absolutely no doubt in my mind it's the best Assault of 3025.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Feh. The Banshee is as good as both of them combined. Now that the Imp doesn't exist there is absolutely no doubt in my mind it's the best Assault of 3025.

I understand you may be slightly biased towards the inferior crap produced by your namesake, but please stay honest. The Banshee is nice, but it just isn't Awesome.

Caesar Steiner is going to die and his blood will be on your hands.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

KnoxZone posted:

Zeus ZEU-6S
80 tons
4/6/0 movement
11.50 tons armor
17 heatsinks

LRM-15
Large Laser
Autocannon/5
Medium Laser
Medium Laser (R)

Just the opposite of the Cyclops. Stand back and fire away at long range and hope your armor lasts against the clans mighty firepower.

I must disagree with your assessment of the Zeus - you want to live at the 5-7 hex range, hammering the enemy with the AC and LRMs as you close, ducking inside to bring the Large Laser to bear when your heat and target numbers look good. Surprised that it's not a 6T, though.

And a Banshee-S takes an Awesome in a straight fight just about every time. The Banshee has to resupply, though, whereas the Awesome can 3/3/2 from now to judgement day.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Awesome is a fairly close second, I'll give you that. My 3025 2nd Donegal siege lance is a Banshee-S, a captured Awesome, a Zeus-6T and a Thunderbolt. I call it "Hell's Wall."

^^^^^^
Yeah, the Banshee has to reload the AC and missiles, but even without them it has two PPC and three lasers. That's as much damage as a Marauder.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 24, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I thought I'd ask, for those of us not versed in BattleTech background: theoretically, in the unaltered universe, what would Caesar be doing right now?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I thought I'd ask, for those of us not versed in BattleTech background: theoretically, in the unaltered universe, what would Caesar be doing right now?

He was in command of the 2nd Donegal Guard, ranked Leutnant-General. His oldest son, Reinhardt, was born in early 3032.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Vipers on Somerset: Tactical Update 1

Movement Phase:
All Steel Vipers move

Combat Phase:
None

End Phase
None

Physical Combat Phase:
None

End Phase:
None

"Delta Flight just did a flyover, multiple contacts," Samantha called over an encrypted channel. As the Colonel's aide, it was her responsibility to keep abreast of incoming messages and report vital data. "They're blocking the Dropships."

"drat," Rossi cursed, "This is Colonel Rossi to Dropship Tigris, what's your status?"

"Main reactor is still offline, Colonel," the Tigris' captain called, his tone one of practiced authority. No sense letting his crew know how terrified he is, Samantha thought. "Weapons are offline, and the runway is blocked."

"And the Hauptman-Kommandant?"

"He and his 'Mech are onboard, but he's not happy, Colonel. He keeps ordering me to open the bay so he can rescue you."

Samantha grinned, then swallowed, trying to rid herself of the cold knot of fear forming in the pit of her belly. Four against ten? Not odds she liked.

"Euphrates," Rossi called one of the units' grounded Union-class dropships. "Status?"

"Six hours at best," the Euphrates' captain called, his voice sharp with hysteria. "We can't help you, and we can't lift."

"Understood," Rossi replied quietly. "Tigris--we are inbound. We'll try to buy you some time, and draw these... Steel Vipers out of your way. Leutnant, see if you can dial in the Clanner's comm frequencies. I'm curious whether they broadcast with encryption."

Enemy Forces / Turn 0 movement!
B1 Unknown Medium 1 : Walked 6!
B2 Unknown Medium 2: Walked 6!
B3 Unknown Heavy 1: Remained Stationary!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2: Walked 2!
B5 Unknown Heavy 3: Walked 3!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remained Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remained Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remained Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remained Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remained Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (0/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous end position will be in black, current position will be in green!
Map Note: A height 1 tunnel extends from hex 0912 to 1213. It is large enough to accommodate the Rommel, but not large enough for a Battlemech. Due to heat concerns, the Rommel may not fire its weapons while within the tunnel.

L* CP-1-Z Cyclops
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 20/20 (19/19)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 30/30 (29/29)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 20/20 (19/19)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 10/10 (15/15)
RA A(S): 10/10 (15/15)
LL A(S): 17/17 (19/19)
RL A(S): 17/17 (19/19)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Colonel Aldo Rossi
Mechwarrior Player: WarLocke
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Autocannon 20 – RT (Heat: 8, Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 12, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

L2 ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 22/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 22/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 8, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 20, Range: (L: M: S: Min:), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands

L3 BNC-3S Banshee
Weight: 95 tons (Assault)
LT A(S): 30/30 (20/20)
LT R A(S): 10/10
CT A(S): 40/40 (30/30)
CT R A(S): 17/17
RT A(S): 30/30 (20/20)
RT R A(S): 10/10
LA A(S): 21/21 (16/16)
RA A(S): 21/21 (16/16)
LL A(S): 26/26 (20/20)
RL A(S): 26/26 (20/20)
Heat Sinks: 21
Movement: 3/5/0
Mechwarrior Name: Staff Sergeant Major Gerhart von Kempner
Mechwarrior Player: Angry_Ed
Armament:
Autocannon/10 – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 20, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
PPC – LA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – CT (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

L4 WLF-1 Wolfhound
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
LT A(S): 11/11 (8/8)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 16/16 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 11/11 (8/8)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
RA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
LL A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
RL A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Richard Hunter
Mechwarrior Player: Spencerb
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – CT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

T1 Rommel Tank:
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
Front A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Left A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Right A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Turret A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Rear A(S): 26/26 (7/7)
Movement: 4/6 Tracked
Crew: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Tank Crew Twelve: Sergeant Bonnie Hammer, Private Sarah Montesquieu, PFC John Blucher
Player: Raverrn
Motive System Damage: None!
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – Turret (Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – Front (Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes:

Enemy Status
Beta Star
B1 Unknown Medium 1
Tonnage: 40
Target:
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

B2 Unknown Medium 2
Tonnage: 50
Target:
Notes: Equipped with ECM, becomes 'hidden' when out of Line of Sight!

B3 Unknown Heavy 1
Tonnage: 60
Target:
Notes:

B4 Unknown Heavy 2
Tonnage: 65
Target:
Notes:

B5 Unknown Heavy 3
Tonnage: 65
Target:
Notes: Equipped with ECM, becomes 'hidden' when out of Line of Sight!

Gamma Star
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

'Mechwarriors: a PM / E-Mail is incoming
Everyone else: Feel free to extrapolate. These 'Mechs are going to surprise you.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 24, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Now this looks to be a drat interesting battle! I think I am going to root for the 1st Somerset Strikers 2nd Donegal Guard, but damned if I am not pulling for my baby B2.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

He was in command of the 2nd Donegal Guard, ranked Leutnant-General. His oldest son, Reinhardt, was born in early 3032.
I meant like if this scenario happened to him, how would things be going differently?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I feel frightened by G1's piloting and gunnery numbers. I feel that G1 is either a Gargoyle or a Warhammer IIC, G3 is a Warhawk (if it is, 4 Clan ER-PPCs aiming at you = :gibs:), and G5 is an Executioner (it's one of the few general/Steel Viper Specific designs I can think of...). I would not be surprised if I am wrong, however.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 24, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Well, looks like long range duking is out of the question. On the plus side most of your weapons (2 AC/20s on the team) work best at close ranges anyway so this is probably not a bad thing.

It's going to be hard to maneuver with all that pavement causing skidding checks if you try running anywhere, doubly so since most of your units are slow. If I'm reading it right most of the buildings are tall enough to break line of sight so you can try to use that to gain an advantage. Probably don't want to overdo it or the clanners might accuse you of breaking zellbrigen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I meant like if this scenario happened to him, how would things be going differently?

Probably throw down with them the same way he took down the 2nd Sword of Light: pockets of assaults like the Zeus and Banshee that can put fire downrange and then using the bulk of the unit (the 2nd Donegal is a medium-weight unit unlike most Lyran units) to hammer their flanks. And of course, massive Aerospace Fighter bombardment cause that's sort of their style.

Most likely his first goal would be to draw combat away from the DropShips; fighting to defend a stationary target is not the situation a unit like the Second wants to face when in this situation.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

I feel frightened by G1's piloting and gunnery numbers. I feel that G1 is either a Gargoyle or a Warhammer IIC, and G3 is a Warhawk (if it is, 4 Clan ER-PPCs aiming at you = :gibs:). I would not be surprised if I am wrong, however.

Actually, that was just me loving up. G1 is a 4/3 like everyone else. G5 is the special one.

Edit: VVV No. It's not a 'tunnel' so much as an airport foyer. There's too many supports / etc inside that the tank can drive around but can't safely shoot through.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 24, 2011

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Can you shoot through the tunnel?

I don't know why [i] needed italics???

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Probably throw down with them the same way he took down the 2nd Sword of Light: pockets of assaults like the Zeus and Banshee that can put fire downrange and then using the bulk of the unit (the 2nd Donegal is a medium-weight unit unlike most Lyran units) to hammer their flanks. And of course, massive Aerospace Fighter bombardment cause that's sort of their style.

Most likely his first goal would be to draw combat away from the DropShips; fighting to defend a stationary target is not the situation a unit like the Second wants to face when in this situation.

Obviously Caesar's primary goal would be finding a way to take the Star Colonel as bondswoman, so he could 'interrogate' her for vital information that would save the Commonwealth.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Obviously Caesar's primary goal would be finding a way to take the Star Colonel as bondswoman, so he could 'interrogate' her for vital information that would save the Commonwealth.

Trends in CBT novels WOULD indicate you can convert a woman from EEEVIL if a heroic male MechWarrior uses his wiener on her. Also I think that would constitute setting a good example for the son he may or may not have back on Furillo.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Account upgrade says the last IS Mech will fall no later than turn 19. This is a nightmare for the freeborns. The map is impossibly hard, with nearly no cover for a running battle. Not that the mechs especially support that, either.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The Tigris is obviously a Leopard, and the Euphrates is what... a Union? Maybe an Overlord? If the going gets rough, can we call down fire support (assuming their reactors ever come up)? Or, for added hilarity, have the Tigris taxi through the reserve star?

Are there any rules for Spheroid dropships igniting their fusion torches in close proximity to exposed 'mechs?

Ok, I admit it, I really want to see a dropship pull a DFA.

This actually looks pretty good. The buildings and terrain give us some chokepoints to negate the Steel Vipers' range advantage. Remember, kids, Clanners suck at physical attacks and don't train on them, because they think they are dishonorable. Justice Foot, ho!

Preechr fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 24, 2011

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I feel sorry for the Wolfhound pilot.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Bypass Beta and instead go straight for the Star Colonel herself.

Decapitating the enemy's leadership would be a fine introduction to war in the IS.

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 24, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Chair In A Basket posted:

Decapitating the enemy's leadership would be a fine introduction to war in the IS.

They might glass the planet, this is the Steel Vipers. They hate other clans, much less IS.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That would bring the entire force in and allow the Clanners to concentrate fire. Bad move. If you're gonna pull that, you're gonna need the 2nd Donegal's aerospace assets and artillery battalion for stand-off firepower, and we got neither.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Well, yeah except

PoptartsNinja posted:

Can occasionally ignore the Clan rules of engagement.

And

"PoptartsNinja posted:

Annoy the hell out of the other Clans for their occasionally dishonorable tactics.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Axe-man posted:

They might glass the planet, this is the Steel Vipers. They hate other clans, much less IS.

The Vipers believe that they can integrate their captured planets or some poo poo. They actually hate other Clans MORE than the IS, who they think they can "fix"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

The Vipers believe that they can integrate their captured planets or some poo poo. They actually hate other Clans MORE than the IS, who they think they can "fix"

Yeah, but an enraged clan that just lost it's lead, i bet you one of them is the khan, they totally would glass the planet to show what happens if you mess with them.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

An important thing to note about Zellbrigen that PTN didn't point out, is that the rule says a Trueborn Clan warrior must not break Zellbrigen. However, if it's already broken, they are free to ignore it.

While they'll ignore minor infractions, since you're just barbarians, major infractions like that will cause them to ignore the rules and just crush you as ruthlessly as possible. Breaking Zellbrigen is a great key for Inner Sphere pilots to outfight better armed Clanners, but you need to be very careful about how and when you do it, to maximize your advantage. Otherwise you'll give them a bloody nose, and then they'll carve out all your internal organs.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hahahah.

Well.

Good luck, guys. May god smile upon your souls, because the Clans are about to send you to meet him.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Preechr posted:

The Tigris is obviously a Leopard, and the Euphrates is what... a Union? Maybe an Overlord? If the going gets rough, can we call down fire support (assuming their reactors ever come up)? Or, for added hilarity, have the Tigris taxi through the reserve star?

Are there any rules for Spheroid dropships igniting their fusion torches in close proximity to exposed 'mechs?

Ok, I admit it, I really want to see a dropship pull a DFA.

This actually looks pretty good. The buildings and terrain give us some chokepoints to negate the Steel Vipers' range advantage. Remember, kids, Clanners suck at physical attacks and don't train on them, because they think they are dishonorable. Justice Foot, ho!

The exhaust from launching dropships can, and will, do crazy damage to any nearby units, up to 12D6 if you're standing right next to it. The Euphrates can't take off right now so that, unfortunately, doesn't appear to be an option.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I would guess that the Steel Vipers 'use of dishonorable' tactics can already be seen. They're possibly going to use 5 clan assaults against 3 injured IS assaults.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Affi posted:

I would guess that the Steel Vipers 'use of dishonorable' tactics can already be seen. They're possibly going to use 5 clan assaults against 3 injured IS assaults.

Outnumbering your enemy isn't dishonorable in Clan warfare, as long as you only have equal numbers fighting at a given time.

So you can fight 3 enemies with 5, but you can only field 3 at a time. When one of yours is destroyed, you can send in one of your reserves to replace it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gothsheep posted:

Outnumbering your enemy isn't dishonorable in Clan warfare, as long as you only have equal numbers fighting at a given time.

So you can fight 3 enemies with 5, but you can only field 3 at a time. When one of yours is destroyed, you can send in one of your reserves to replace it.

Whoever bid a binary against an Inner Sphere lance, though, is clearly a total chickenshit and is probably not long to keep their command with that style. Back in the initial invasion you had single stars going against full companies.

See, the people fighting UNDER said Clanner will be like "Hey you're not giving us the chance to take out three times our number and thus, making us look like bitches. I want to fight you over this."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Et tu, Steel Viper?

This is an absolutely hellish scenario. The only way to win, that I see, would be to have the Banshee challenge the Star Colonel to a duel. With three ten-pointers and oodles of armor the Banshee, even as a level 1 mech, should be able to win at least one duel and maybe two, assuming lighter opposition anyway, and that might be enough to Do A Thing. It is possible that killing the Star Colonel might allow you an out. It would require a lot of luck, but it's worth consideration.

The other option, I suppose, would be to slowroll. Make contact with the first star and then fade back to your original position. Make use of the buildings to block lines of sight and try to get side shots on the Clan forces if possible, which will prevent them bringing everything to bear. Keep in mind that this is a "fast" Steiner assault lance, as the Zeus and Cyclops both move 4/6. This means you can walk for 3 hexes (getting a modifier to shots against you) while being able to change facing once as well. If you try to fight in the cramped space where the buildings are being able to do that will help a lot.

Also consider using some of the heavy or hardened buildings as direct cover (buildings soak damage). Don't stay in them for more than a turn or two or it'll collapse on you, which hurts a lot. In a pinch it could help though. If you can draw them towards you the cramped area in the SE can nullify any possible speed advantage, allow you to bring your big guns to bear easily, and bring about the potential for kicks/punches as well, which is to your advantage with generally heavier units. If you can hit and fade effectively you might be able to last the 20 turns, although it's very, very iffy.

Also, DO NOT RUN AND TURN ON PAVEMENT. Trust me.

If that poo poo doesn't work, then you're proper hosed.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
You're all bog-standard 4/5 pilots, up against Clanners, who by bog-standard are 3/4s, and have better 'mechs.

In a normal BattleTech scenario, facing IS Level 1 'mechs with Clan Omnis, by Battle Value that star would be facing a Company.

You have a Star, a tank, and whatever surprises Poptarts has planned. I'm betting it'll be Caesar shooting out the 'mech bay of the Dropship and marching out to "rescue" you guys in an SLDF Royal that the Steiner family have been saving for a special occasion. Probably an Atlas II.

Or maybe AeroTechs ( :downs: ) will show up and let you start calling in strafing and bombing runs. Maybe minefields.

I wonder - if the tank challenges one of the Clanners under Zel, do you think they'll humor it, or just get pissed and focus fire on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I wonder - if the tank challenges one of the Clanners under Zel, do you think they'll humor it, or just get pissed and focus fire on it?

There are redacted in the tunnel!

• Locked thread