Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It seems rather out of character that anyone in the IS would, right at this moment, have any idea what the Zellbrigen is - except maybe that the snakes do the same thing? Wouldn't they just revert to type, or total war, until infomation was disseminated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Yes, adhering to Zellbrigen would be very out of character.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
We can probably defeat all of Beta Star without adhering to zellbrigen. I mean that would win us the scenario and be "in character"

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Affi posted:

We can probably defeat all of Beta Star without adhering to zellbrigen. I mean that would win us the scenario and be "in character"

Not quite. The primary objective is to simply live 20 turns. Defeating Beta Star is a bonus objective. I do suppose, though, that partial victory is better than nothing...

landcollector fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 24, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

And now - our valiant (suicidal) defenders!

CP-10-Z Cyclops

The Cyclops is named for the single 'eye' it has for a head, and is a traditional command mech. 90 tons and with both good speed and poor armor, it also supports more advanced electronics and communications gear than most mechs. The Cyclops is a close-in fighter, packing a huge AC20 beatstick that just begs to be used. The mech's main weakness is that it's got piddly long range firepower and as a traditional command mech it acts as a firepower magnet while not having the armor to take it.

ZEU-6S Zeus

Probably the stereotypical Steiner assault, the Zeus has been in Steiner service for about four hundred years. It's got weak armor for it's 80 tons, but packs a good mix of long range firepower. The Zeus can lay down a pretty nasty amount of firepower at long to medium ranges - the problem is that it can't take a hit too well and runs out of ammo far too soon. The LRM only has 8 shots total, and the AC5 only has 20.

BNC-3S Banshee

The Banshee gets a bad rap with some because of the base -3E config - that model is severely undergunned for a 95 ton mech. The -3S we're using today is much better, sacrificing speed for more than double the firepower. The -3S is, in IS terms, a devastating machine that can throw huge amounts of firepower downrange, chip you apart in close and has enough armor to soak several turns of concentrated firepower. The Banshee has two weaknesses - first, that it's the slowest and least maneuverable thing on the field right now. Second, that it has exceptionally weak legs -

WLF-1 Wolfhound

The Wolfhound is a IS rarity - a recent design. First fielded in 3028, it was designed as a counter to the Combine's Panther. Fast on foot, well armored for it's size and packing a strong energy-based payload, the Wolfhound is an excellent machine. Because of it's speed and lack of reliance on supply lines, it's often used as a raider and a hunter-killer. Her real weakness is heat - the Wolfhound only has 10 heat sinks and with pure energy weapons can overheat very fast if you don't have good firing discipline. But if you can resist the urge to blaze away wildly, it's probably one of the best light mechs of it's era.

Rommel

Defiance Industries manufactures two interchangable tanks - the Rommel and the Patton. The two share nearly all the same parts and base chassis, and are considered by many to be the stand-by for MBTs in the Inner Sphere. The Rommel is the shorter ranged of the two, packing a ridiculous AC20 and letting it thrive in urban environments. While not fast or extremely tough, it's a solid and dependable machine that can be found just about anywhere in the IS.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Another question from the questionmachine; When the 2nd Donegal Guard loses Ceasar Steiner will be granted Hegira. So unless he involves himself in the fight he will get away.

Something tells me he'll do just that, somehow.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I like to think the Banshees bad rep has more to do with it being ugly as sin.

I mean look at that ugly goddamn machine. The Cyclops is badass without having to resort to a skull-head (come on, Atlas, you're so cliche) and the Woldhound is a sexy sexy beast.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

... and the Woldhound is a sexy sexy beast.
Except that its head looks conspicuously like a travel trailer.

:mmmsmug:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah you would have to put a bag over it's head.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

Yes, adhering to Zellbrigen would be very out of character.

Well, depending on how a challenge is phrased, the IS mechwarrior would understand that it is a one-on-one duel, although they would probably not know about all the rules. One thing to keep in mind about zellbrigen is that it was designed to limit the loss of lives and materials while giving mechwarrior a chance to gain honor fighting: depending on the situation and how brainwashedfanaticaldumb honourable a clanner is, they can break it. If I remember correctly there are quite a few ways a clanner can break Zellbrigen without losing honour (at least within his clan).

also, PTN, you kinda forgot to mechwarrior me. I'm probably going to be terrible, but I'd still like to try

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

PoptartsNinja posted:

Corporal Richard Hunter – WLF-1 Wolfhound (g4 p5)
Considering my truly rich heritage in light 'Mech control interface design, I wish to bestow my piloting/gunnery improvement boon upon:

L4 WLF-1 Wolfhound

re the Level 2 Challenge, using the Stormcrow actually makes this level much much easier, that thing seems fast as hell by comparison to the Madcat. Getting to that 2nd launch building thing and negotiating the magma is *so* much easier in a smaller, faster 'Mech. After sketching a quick map noting the location of the mine ammo replenishments were, I was able to do the whole level using only thunder mines. They're really quite powerful, but for some reason only really work on when you place them above, rather than below, your target.

I'm getting some serious '[insert scenario here] Strike' vibes from the game, it's a shame they didn't take more cues from those games, such as a map that shows you the whole play area so you can actually work out where you have to go, or tells you where ammo/coolant/etc. are. Other useful abilities would have been stomping on buildings to retrieve their delicious contents, or perhaps having the choice to play as some of the other 'Mechs which are much better suited to certain levels.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Also, I move that we rename this planet to "Kurasawa 2" in honor of the infamous Wing Commander mission. My only goal is to entertain the crowd before a glorious death, and ideally take a Clanner bastard down with me. :black101:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mastigophoran posted:

Considering my truly rich heritage in light 'Mech control interface design, I wish to bestow my piloting/gunnery improvement boon upon:

You should have given it to Star Colonel Dusk -> Hot mechwarrior babe with Piloting 1, Gunnery 0 stradling 95 tons of Clan Mech.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Affi posted:

I'm not agreeing with this, Crossbow is such an un-clanlike mech.

edit; Although Steel Vipers do prefer over-specialized mechs. And speed. If that is a crossbow send the light after it. Get close and stay close and you can even kill it.

edit2; loving clanmechs, still if you can get behind it with the ligh.. gently caress if it wins ace and initiative its goodbye :(

fakeedit3; Okay so I still think the light is the best counter. Stay at range and make it use up its precious ammo.

Clan LRMs don't have a minimum range. :ssh:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I know, that's why I said "loving clanmechs" :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

We could use some clarification on zellbriggen here. If Lyran A shoots at clanner B, who is currently engaging Lyran C, what (probably) happens?

1. Clanner B may shoot back at Lyran A

This. And if Lyran C is still active, he might not even do that much--Clanners are very single-minded.

Gothsheep posted:

I have to admit, I'm a little confused here. The mission has the Guards protecting the dropships, yet the enemy started right next to them?

Seems like they did kind of poo poo job protecting them, then. If the enemy was anybody but clanners the dropships would be toast and the mission failed before the Lyrans even got there.

They're not guards, they're a relief force. The Clanners already took the landing field, preventing Major Steiner (hah) from launching.

Defiance Industries posted:

Whoever bid a binary against an Inner Sphere lance, though, is clearly a total chickenshit and is probably not long to keep their command with that style. Back in the initial invasion you had single stars going against full companies.

See, the people fighting UNDER said Clanner will be like "Hey you're not giving us the chance to take out three times our number and thus, making us look like bitches. I want to fight you over this."

Ah, but a whole regiment (plus armor regiment, plus infantry regement, plus aerospace wing) was bid to oppose them, quiaff? It's hardly Star Colonel Dawn's fault that she kept her own command binary in reserve to shore up the lines and was attacked by a lance of 'Mechs trying to headhunt and/or flank the main battle lines.

Bad Moon posted:

Well, yeah except

I was referring to the 'Viper's Maw' and or 'Viper's Coil' maneuver(s) (they're basically the same thing). It's something special the Steel Vipers get to do that they pretty much need a Khan's permission to start; and only really exists as an homage to Mechwarrior 2's tactic of 'run around a target in circles and shoot at it'.

radintorov posted:

also, PTN, you kinda forgot to mechwarrior me. I'm probably going to be terrible, but I'd still like to try

Your timidity is unbecoming a Clansman, 'Mechwarrior! Assert yourself! (my apologies, I must've missed it--this thread moves so fast sometimes)

Mastigophoran posted:

L4 WLF-1 Wolfhound

Congratulations, the pilot of the WLF-1 Wolfhound becomes a 3/2 (not a typo)!

Also, you guys are way too worried. This scenario will be winnable.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 24, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You may note that Gamma Star's explicit rule for engagement doesn't mention "breaking zellbringen" as one of the conditions. They will only interfere if they are shot at or if Beta bites it completely. Especially considering the IS forces' ignorance of the rules, I'd say the best strategy is for everyone to focus fire on one Clan 'mech until you bring it down, then move on to the second and third. This will enable them to do the same, so it'll come down to who can better use the terrain and hide behind buildings. If all goes well enough, you can string along the last Beta 'mech to turn 20 and avoid the Clan assault firing squad.

Since the clock is working for you, the players, you need to be as defensive as possible. Question number one is whether to use the tree line or the buildings as defenses: trees add to defense by simply existing, while (if you play it smart enough) you may be able to provoke your enemies into skidding on the tarmac if you hole up in or behind the buildings.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You may note that Gamma Star's explicit rule for engagement doesn't mention "breaking zellbringen" as one of the conditions. They will only interfere if they are shot at or if Beta bites it completely. Especially considering the IS forces' ignorance of the rules, I'd say the best strategy is for everyone to focus fire on one Clan 'mech until you bring it down, then move on to the second and third. This will enable them to do the same, so it'll come down to who can better use the terrain and hide behind buildings. If all goes well enough, you can string along the last Beta 'mech to turn 20 and avoid the Clan assault firing squad.

Since the clock is working for you, the players, you need to be as defensive as possible. Question number one is whether to use the tree line or the buildings as defenses: trees add to defense by simply existing, while (if you play it smart enough) you may be able to provoke your enemies into skidding on the tarmac if you hole up in or behind the buildings.

Counterpoint: Steel Vipers are really assholish enough to use a tiny breach of zellbrigen to go murder factory on everything in sight, canonwise. I dunno if that will still hold in this universe or in this exact situation. If the other players want to risk it, I am A+ cheerfully all in favor of focusing fire so as to NOT DIE HORRIBLY. How y'all other three four (including the tanker) feeling? If we do, we could either get into a better defensive position (those forested hills, or the NE woods) or stay about where we are to meet them en masse. Also, that Rommel with its AC/20 is our ace in the hole. Especially if the Clanners prefer shooting at our (comparatively) better armored mechs and give them a few free shots. Regardless, I'm moving three hexes north right now; I can change if need be, but that puts me in the best position to sortie through the northern exit and isn't terrible for an engagement inside our starting area either.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DatonKallandor posted:

I like to think the Banshees bad rep has more to do with it being ugly as sin.
I'd like to agree, but it's more to do with a 95T mech that has only a PPC, AC5 and a Small Laser to do damage with. The 4/6 engine is great and all, but really? Max damage output of 18 if everything hits? A bog-standard Commando can do 7 more.

DatonKallandor posted:

I mean look at that ugly goddamn machine. The Cyclops is badass without having to resort to a skull-head (come on, Atlas, you're so cliche) and the Woldhound is a sexy sexy beast.
The Wolfhound is indeed sexy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If you manage to cut Beta down to one crippled mech then start dancing around him to run down the timer Gamma will probably lose patience and attack sooner or later, but if it burns a couple more turns it's a good idea.

Hey, what kind of victory is it if they manage to take out Beta and Gamma? Double Total?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Dolash posted:

If you manage to cut Beta down to one crippled mech then start dancing around him to run down the timer Gamma will probably lose patience and attack sooner or later, but if it burns a couple more turns it's a good idea.

Hey, what kind of victory is it if they manage to take out Beta and Gamma? Double Total?

Kai Allard-Liao

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Good question. I'm going to go ahead and call that an "Unlikely" victory, and everyone will win MVP.

VVVV Hahaha, you are such a jerk.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 24, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I can't wait till you guys discover what the clan mechs are. They will blow your mind. They certainly blew mine.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

As far as the Rommel goes, there's probably very little I want to pull early. I'm assuming you guys will want to keep up zell as long as it's convenient, so that rules out LRM plinkage. Though there will be at least one bored 'mech left, I don't know if killing a tank will be below him.

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005
Can someone give me a reminder on how elevation affects line-of-sight?

Also what are the rules for skidding on pavement?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
I wonder if the Euphrates would start rolling like a bowling ball if it retracted the landing strut closest to the clanners?

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005

Mastigophoran posted:

Cheers! I'll be sure to die gloriously in your honor.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

KnoxZone posted:

I can't wait till you guys discover what the clan mechs are. They will blow your mind mech. They certainly blew mine.

Typo fixed.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Spencerb posted:

Can someone give me a reminder on how elevation affects line-of-sight?

Also what are the rules for skidding on pavement?

See the "Line of Sight" section of the introductory rules. Treat buildings as hills. http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/CBT_Introductory_Rulebook.pdf

As far as skidding goes, just avoid running and turning (in the same movement) on pavement and you won't have to deal with it.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 24, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Counterpoint: Steel Vipers are really assholish enough to use a tiny breach of zellbrigen to go murder factory on everything in sight, canonwise. I dunno if that will still hold in this universe or in this exact situation. If the other players want to risk it, I am A+ cheerfully all in favor of focusing fire so as to NOT DIE HORRIBLY. How y'all other three four (including the tanker) feeling? If we do, we could either get into a better defensive position (those forested hills, or the NE woods) or stay about where we are to meet them en masse. Also, that Rommel with its AC/20 is our ace in the hole. Especially if the Clanners prefer shooting at our (comparatively) better armored mechs and give them a few free shots. Regardless, I'm moving three hexes north right now; I can change if need be, but that puts me in the best position to sortie through the northern exit and isn't terrible for an engagement inside our starting area either.

Yeah I'm going to agree that the Vipers would probably take any breach of zellbrigen as a huge affront and go kill-crazy.

On the other hand we have to remember our mechwarriors don't actually know what the hell any of that even means. Personally I was banking on heading for the trees to use them for cover and fire from there, also gives a chance to fall back to the start point if needed. But then again it has been 4 years since I last played Battletech and when I did it was when IS and Clan tech were on an even keel more or less.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The Wolfhound is indeed sexy.
Case in Point - that's a Wolfhound.

Baboon Nigga
Jan 3, 2011

Jesus christ this thread got huge before I got here. As a megamek vet I would like to sign up to be a mechwarrior since given how many are ahead of me I figure there's a good bet we'll be megamekkin' by the time I get the nod.

And as a staunch Davionist who likes cool poo poo voting Kell Hounds

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

piss posted:

Jesus christ this thread got huge before I got here. As a megamek vet I would like to sign up to be a mechwarrior since given how many are ahead of me I figure there's a good bet we'll be megamekkin' by the time I get the nod.

And as a staunch Davionist who likes cool poo poo voting Kell Hounds

...Dude you are literally two months late. You're giving us Davionistas a bad name. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chair In A Basket posted:

I wonder if the Euphrates would start rolling like a bowling ball if it retracted the landing strut closest to the clanners?

No, because it's designed for gravity affecting it in one (and only one) direction. Dropships crumple like tin cans if they 'land' on their sides. Battletech gives physics a passing nod, for the most part--it's why Aerospace Fighters (which have no real lift-generation beyond pure thrust in an atmosphere) crash if you so much as wing one with an AC/2.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I'm going to agree that the Vipers would probably take any breach of zellbrigen as a huge affront and go kill-crazy.

On the other hand we have to remember our mechwarriors don't actually know what the hell any of that even means. Personally I was banking on heading for the trees to use them for cover and fire from there, also gives a chance to fall back to the start point if needed. But then again it has been 4 years since I last played Battletech and when I did it was when IS and Clan tech were on an even keel more or less.

Okay then. Unless Warlocke has strong objections, we'll assume that we're going to be fighting like a proper Steiner unit, focusing fire, and all that, and we can start planning our tactics in earnest.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Holy crap, I've been busy and haven't checked this thread. Need to go back and read the sitrep so I can go all stompy on dudes. :black101:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

WarLocke posted:

Holy crap, I've been busy and haven't checked this thread. Need to go back and read the sitrep so I can get all stomped on by dudes. :black101:

Fixed that for you.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mukaikubo posted:

Okay then. Unless Warlocke has strong objections, we'll assume that we're going to be fighting like a proper Steiner unit, focusing fire, and all that, and we can start planning our tactics in earnest.

:black101: Steiner!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It seems rather out of character that anyone in the IS would, right at this moment, have any idea what the Zellbrigen is - except maybe that the snakes do the same thing? Wouldn't they just revert to type, or total war, until infomation was disseminated?

Hard to say. I think, given their recent history versus the Draconis Combine, the Legion would probably try to manipulate enemy actions once the Clanners started shouting out dueling challenges. That is how the system works, after all. You establish LOS, then everyone starts shouting poo poo over the radio like "Blah blah blah I'm so and so of Clan Homoerotic Panther and I pilot a Popobawa and I challenge the Banshee!"

Then again, that was with Steiner as their commanding officer. I dunnow this new guy except that she shares a name with a Clan Nova Cat founder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

Congratulations, the pilot of the WLF-1 Wolfhound becomes a 3/2 (not a typo)!

Also, you guys are way too worried. This scenario will be winnable.

So what had happened if he put that on Dusk? :gonk:

• Locked thread