Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Raeg posted:

Yeah, Kip Frye I think, Foley also mentions him in his first book. I think he got the bonus once but I can't remember who he was wrestling.

He was wrestling Abdullah the Butcher in a falls count anywhere match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Red posted:

I watched The Rise and Fall of WCW on Netflix right now, and I find the following interesting:

- They didn't mention

A subject like WCW should never be attempted to cover in just one single DVD. There's enough footage, material, people to talk to, etc. to do three DVDs, 3 hours each on WCW at the very least.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

mcmonkey posted:

I had a look at the 2001 WCW PPVs on wikipedia earlier today, they sound pretty good. Are they any good?

Russo was gone by early 2001, and the booking was done by a half decent booking committee. They weren't spectacular or anything, but they got the job done, and introduced the Cruiserweight Tag-Team titles. I would argue that most of those 2001 WCW shows are just as good as WWE's product today. Steiner was systematically taking out all the top faces, an the rumour is Goldberg was set to return and start a program around May, leading up to Starcade 2001. They were building Steiner up as this psychotic monster, who was basically killing people, and he was really getting over.

For example, at Greed, WCW's last PPV, he and Rick Steiner beat DDP until he passed out in the Steiner Recliner, and the next day on Nitro they held a mock funeral for his career.

Late 1999 and 2000 is when WCW REALLY sucked.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 24, 2011

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Raeg posted:

Yeah, Kip Frye I think, Foley also mentions him in his first book. I think he got the bonus once but I can't remember who he was wrestling.

Kip Frye was a badass and would have turned the company around given time. He was excited to run WCW and gave said bonus to whomever had the best match that night on big shows. He liked people that the crowd liked and didn't seem to care about politics because he didn't know or care. He was like if Jim Herd had fun with his job and the wrestling world would have been mad different if he were Vic Venom.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Greed is a really great but really sad show. Everyone busted their rear end, and it really looked like they might be able to salvage things, and then...

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Reached Nitro August 2000, Tony Schiavone just doesn't care and honestly looks like he's about 2 Mark "Cheer all heels" Madden lines away from suicide.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Giedroyc posted:

They keep dragging his wife on to talk about things in the past tense and Bobby himself doesn't give a comment on anything.

Building on what Captain Charisma said:

He can speak in very, very short sentences now, which is a significant improvement from where he was only a year or two ago, but he isn't exactly a guy you can trot out in front of a video camera and have him speak for two or three hours about his life.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Holy poo poo he looks awful. I had no idea he was that far gone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wojtek posted:

Throat cancer, followed by a jaw infection, is a bitch.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
How much of his mind is left?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Wojtek posted:

How much of his mind is left?

His minds all there, his mouth is not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

His minds all there, his mouth is not.

Exactly. Just like Roger Ebert, who had similar problems (well, Ebert had thyroid cancer, then the treatment created jaw problems), his mind is presumably still as sharp as a steel bear trap. His health problems have simply robbed him of the ability to speak. (And, unlike Ebert, he certainly couldn't afford for an expensive foreign company to custom-tailor a text-to-speech program using his voice taken from prior recordings.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Minges posted:

Kip Frye was a badass and would have turned the company around given time. He was excited to run WCW and gave said bonus to whomever had the best match that night on big shows. He liked people that the crowd liked and didn't seem to care about politics because he didn't know or care. He was like if Jim Herd had fun with his job and the wrestling world would have been mad different if he were Vic Venom.

So does anyone actually know why he left/was replaced? It's weird because this was apparently the one levelheaded man in the entire industry.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Timby posted:

(And, unlike Ebert, he certainly couldn't afford for an expensive foreign company to custom-tailor a text-to-speech program using his voice taken from prior recordings.)

It's unfortunate because if they did take his old recordings he'd only be able to refer to people has humanoids and ham & eggers.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Does Bobby's current jaw condition affect his long-term health?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So does anyone actually know why he left/was replaced? It's weird because this was apparently the one levelheaded man in the entire industry.

I just grabbed The Death of WCW from my bookshelf behind me, and Frye's tenure is only addressed in about three paragraphs, and ends abruptly by saying, "Frye suddenly quit." That's when Watts came in.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

I'm sure being a former Pizza Hut manager with 0 wrestling knowledge who threw money around at a time when WCW didn't have much didn't help, hence why Bill Watts came in to cut costs.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Giedroyc posted:

I'm sure being a former Pizza Hut manager with 0 wrestling knowledge who threw money around at a time when WCW didn't have much didn't help, hence why Bill Watts came in to cut costs.

He wasn't a Pizza Hut manager, he was in the corporate office.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Its one of those things where there isn't much to go on. The lockerroom was happy and business was up slightly. Frye hasn't talked about it and really he is the only one who knows for sure. For what its worth Dusty was fired as booker a couple of days before he quit.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He wasn't a Pizza Hut manager, he was in the corporate office.

Kip Frye is not Jim Herd.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

El Duke posted:

Kip Frye is not Jim Herd.

Kip Frye was in the Pizza Hut main corporate office and Jim Herd was in the corporate office of Pizza Hut of St. Louis. It isn't like they went from yelling at delivery drivers to yelling at wrestlers.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Kip Frye was in the Pizza Hut main corporate office and Jim Herd was in the corporate office of Pizza Hut of St. Louis. It isn't like they went from yelling at delivery drivers to yelling at wrestlers.

I've never seen anything that said Kip Frey worked for Pizza Hut. He was a lawyer, worked at Turner starting in 1990, headed up WCW in 92, then went on to do other stuff. Never heard anything about Pizza Hut. Not saying it isn't possible, I've just never heard anything about him working for Pizza Hut, just Herd.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Frey started as an IP lawyer, and then began working in TBS' legal department in 1990. He took over WCW in 1992. I can't find any indication, anywhere on Google (nor in any of the books I have), that Frey had any involvement with Pizza Hut. Also, the Internet and most books seem to have a disagreement regarding the spelling of his last name: Foley and Death of WCW say it's "Frye," while the Internet and other sources say it's "Frey."

El Duke posted:

Not saying it isn't possible, I've just never heard anything about him working for Pizza Hut, just Herd.

Right. Jim Herd was the Midwest director of marketing for Pizza Hut. Frey was just a lawyer.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

El Duke posted:

I've never seen anything that said Kip Frey worked for Pizza Hut. He was a lawyer, worked at Turner starting in 1990, headed up WCW in 92, then went on to do other stuff. Never heard anything about Pizza Hut. Not saying it isn't possible, I've just never heard anything about him working for Pizza Hut, just Herd.

You're right. I quoted this post and kept running with the mistake that Giedroyc made.

Giedroyc posted:

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

I'm sure being a former nondescript corporate person with 0 wrestling knowledge who threw money around at a time when WCW didn't have much didn't help, hence why Bill Watts came in to cut costs.

Fixed ;)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mcmonkey posted:

I had a look at the 2001 WCW PPVs on wikipedia earlier today, they sound pretty good. Are they any good?

no. They're basically proto TNA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Frye had some good ideas and even at their worst early 90s losses WCW wasn't losing more than they would have made if they got fair TV residuals from Turner like Bischoff negotiated. Frye wasn't savvy to the business though, and I don't think he was the guy to turn WCW around. He was overpaying people and getting worked on the best match bonuses by the boys. When push came to shove the guy would be run over by politics.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Frye had some good ideas and even at their worst early 90s losses WCW wasn't losing more than they would have made if they got fair TV residuals from Turner like Bischoff negotiated. Frye wasn't savvy to the business though, and I don't think he was the guy to turn WCW around. He was overpaying people and getting worked on the best match bonuses by the boys. When push came to shove the guy would be run over by politics.

JR was recently asked about him and said the same thing: had some decent ideas, had no idea how the business worked or real product knowledge, and was politicked apart, basically, since he had no idea how things actually worked in the wrestling world.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The observer pretty much goes "Herd resigns, chucks a temper tantrum at Dusty,Magnum and JR. To be replaced by Frey."

And that's about it. No more headlines until rumors of Brett joining WCW (!!!) and then Watts being hired. But it is mentioned that Frey loved the cruiser weights and saw $$$ with a Pillman/Liger feud. And that led to the infamous Pillman contract dramas, which still boggle the mind.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

LordPants posted:

The observer pretty much goes "Herd resigns, chucks a temper tantrum at Dusty,Magnum and JR. To be replaced by Frey."

And that's about it. No more headlines until rumors of Brett joining WCW (!!!) and then Watts being hired. But it is mentioned that Frey loved the cruiser weights and saw $$$ with a Pillman/Liger feud. And that led to the infamous Pillman contract dramas, which still boggle the mind.

The Bret to WCW rumor was in what? January 1992? The story is that he was planning on jumping and that's why he lost the IC Title to the Mountie right before the Rumble.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

coconono posted:

no. They're basically proto TNA
Not even close. Maybe proto-TNA 2005-6 before Russo came bacl where they put out a decent product but bobody wanted to like them. 2001 WCW was just like WCW or TNA in its heyday. The main event still sucked but everything else was outstanding.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Not even close. Maybe proto-TNA 2005-6 before Russo came bacl where they put out a decent product but bobody wanted to like them. 2001 WCW was just like WCW or TNA in its heyday. The main event still sucked but everything else was outstanding.

Greed had a great main event.

In 2001, Nitro was usually awful. Thunder was great, and the PPVs were mixed bags in January and February followed by a great PPV in Greed.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
Wow, ten years ago today. I wasn't even in high school yet. Man, I feel old.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008

LordPants posted:

I assume Magnum here is Magnum TA? How long did he work backstage?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

He was wrestling Abdullah the Butcher in a falls count anywhere match.

Actually, Foley was wrestling Van Hammer - Abdullah just ran in at the end and then cut himself in on the "best match" bonus they got.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ExplodeYourself posted:

Ten years ago today i was knee deep in college. You godamn youngsters!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ExplodeYourself posted:

Second year in college for me. This is one thing that ages everyone.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

If only Crowbar's wrestling talent or charisma were as big as his nose. He's got a chronic case of Sunny-itis too, which is the uncontrollable urge to gurn and pose to the camera even when you're not supposed to be the centre of attention.

Reverend Joshua
Jul 1, 2007
My hypocrisy knows no bounds
Fallen Rib
There's a Steamboat/Pillman lumberjack match on WWE On Demand as part of the March Mania series that is the History of WCW in one match. Two great workers in a singles match as part of a tag title feud, the ring surrounded by Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Kevin Nash, Raven, Shane Douglas, Steve Regal, a young RVD, and 2 Cold Scorpio (among others). Regardless of whether or not all of those guys are your cup of tea, it's enough talent for a ridiculous main event scene and they're being wasted on the mid-card WCW Saturday Night in 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
The WCW 2001 PPV's aren't as bad as you'd think considering the previous year and they're kind of interesting to see because they're heading in a different direction to WCW typically with an abundance of new stars out of the Power Plant who were employed for a couple of months before the buy out. Whenever I see a WCW 2001 PPV's there's faces I'd totally forgotten about that I wonder what's become of.

Wojtek posted:

Wow, he does. He was on Wrestlemania 26 wasn't he? If I'm remembering this correctly he just looked really skinny then, so I haven't understood the things people were saying about his appearance lately. If my recollection is correct his body must have been through a horrible ordeal this year for such a huge change.

I guess that's chemo.