Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Sylink posted:

Can't you just get those weird plastic claw covers instead?
Softpaws eventually come off of their claws, and cats do shed their claws, too. I know it barely works for one of our cats that has incredibly sharp claws (they go right through paper like a razor - tested myself) because her claws rip through even the covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn
Claw covers? Really?

Ugh :(

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Just keep the claws trimmed and they won't be able dig in and tear poo poo up.

Post Your Desktop: Cat Advice Within

VVV Audi/VW represent

glompix fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 16, 2011

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I had a cat, but he got mauled by my sister's dog when he went outside one day. :smith:

Anyway here's my desktop, laptop soon to be replaced by new desktop computer (note the smudged up iPod Touch and the slightly torn desk chair)!

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
what the heck happened to your mouse? Or is it supposed to be imprinted with some sort of design?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Pweller posted:

what the heck happened to your mouse? Or is it supposed to be imprinted with some sort of design?

Looks like a Logitech mx518, that have some weird designs on them.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yea it's the design on the mouse. That thing is like 3-4 years old and it's just starting to sputter on me.

Gotta love Logitech mice :v:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Sorry if it's been asked or if there's a better place to ask, but what do you guys recommend in terms of using a desktop computer while reclined? Presently I just have my legs up on my desk with my keyboard in my lap, but I feel like there's got to be more comfortable solutions. I really can't sit without reclining my back for longer than 10 minutes or so.

The solution that comes to mind is buying an actual recliner chair and using a flexible monitor mount (or two). That seems a little over the top though. Is there maybe a non-corner desk that would allow me to elevate my legs somehow?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

To piggyback - the problem with your desk was never fitting the stands for your monitors, it's the monitors themselves. When the new stands arrive, you still have to account for 63" of monitor with 55" of space. Your heart's in the right place, but you're addressing the wrong issue. Strongly agree that you cancel your order and switch to a bigger desk.

I was going to be all like "yeah well these goons just don't know how good I am at this poo poo and started mounting the arms on the desk when I realized you were all right.

Which is okay because I had an old desk I was using for painting just sitting around. I didn't have time to sand off the excess spray on the desk, but I'll do that at a later date.

HKR fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 17, 2011

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HKR posted:

I was going to be all like "yeah well these goons just don't know how good I am at this poo poo and started mounting the arms on the desk when I realized you were all right.

Which is okay because I had an old desk I was using for painting just sitting around. I didn't have time to sand off the excess spray on the desk, but I'll do that at a later date.

To be fair, with a little work (maybe a new glossy paintjob or even just some polishing) that could be a really fantastic-looking desk. I love those '40s-'70s style desks that look like they could survive a nuclear blast.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

To be fair, with a little work (maybe a new glossy paintjob or even just some polishing) that could be a really fantastic-looking desk. I love those '40s-'70s style desks that look like they could survive a nuclear blast.

They are quite awesome and can be had for pretty cheap, but goddamn are the heavy as gently caress and hard to move.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sir Nigel posted:

They even sell a Geek Desk without a top so you can build/buy your own tabletop but use their hydraulic legs.

I don't see any option on their site to order the desk w/o the top. Do you have to call them and order it special or something?

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I don't see any option on their site to order the desk w/o the top. Do you have to call them and order it special or something?

It's a tiny link at the bottom of the Geek Desk Original page, http://www.geekdesk.com/default.asp?contentID=605

metalrufflez
Apr 30, 2008
Click Click

Work Desktop. There is some witty pictures over the monitor i forgot to include in the photo... Shame...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah that thing's gonna be uber-sexy with a little work put into it. Good choice.

metalrufflez posted:

Click Click

Work Desktop. There is some witty pictures over the monitor i forgot to include in the photo... Shame...
I got a set of Rubik's cubes for Christmas, 2x2x2 through 5x5x5. Gotta put together a nice way to display them on my desk. :shobon:

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 19, 2011

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah that thing's gonna be uber-sexy with a little work put into it. Good choice.

Is that sarcasm I sense?

metalrufflez
Apr 30, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I got a set of Rubik's cubes for Christmas, 2x2x2 through 5x5x5. Gotta put together a nice way to display them on my desk. :shobon:

These "special" ones I keep at home, people LOVE scramble them and leave it on my desk, then my OCD won't let me work until I solve them. The 3x3 is there to kill time while I wait some server to reboot
And I just love that perpetual calendar

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Windows 7 on the right, Arch Linux in a virtual machine on the left. I have no idea why I bothered setting this up.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mr_Person posted:

Windows 7 on the right, Arch Linux in a virtual machine on the left. I have no idea why I bothered setting this up.

Well, you needed somewhere to put your Psyduck wallpaper...

Zash
Mar 30, 2010

COMPTUERS

Mr_Person posted:

I love the wallpapers haha. Where did you get those?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

only one monitor, a $60 Wal-Mart desk, and some piss-poor cable management :c00lbutt:

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr_Person posted:

Zash posted:

I love the wallpapers haha. Where did you get those?
Pleeease, share. I NEED these.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I like your cat-chair. :3:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

Pleeease, share. I NEED these.

http://pldh.net/gallery/index

Wallpapers for all 646 Pokemon.

E: Credit goes to whoever posted this in the B/W thread a few days back, though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 22, 2011

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Mr_Person posted:

This is amazing and thank you for sharing.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr_Person posted:

God, this is awesome. Thanks!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Picure - with tags and everything!

Edit: Taken with crappy phone since all real cameras are mysteriously hidden.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you don't like CapsLock, this utility may be of use to you: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897578

Zash
Mar 30, 2010

COMPTUERS

Mr_Person posted:

E: Credit goes to whoever posted this in the B/W thread a few days back, though.

I'm going to write a script this weekend (for my work computer) that will change my wallpaper daily to a new pokemon (in numeric pokedex order). I can't wait. These are great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zash posted:

I'm going to write a script this weekend (for my work computer) that will change my wallpaper daily to a new pokemon (in numeric pokedex order). I can't wait. These are great.

Windows 7 can do this right out of the box for you.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
That is what I'm doing right now. It's awesome.

Alkuan
Sep 8, 2006

Please hide me from those Berzerker's, they wont stop staring.

Moey posted:

Windows 7 can do this right out of the box for you.

Details on this? Would i have to download them all first?

edit: seems like you just download them all to a folder and windows handles the rest.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Alkuan posted:

Details on this? Would i have to download them all first?

edit: seems like you just download them all to a folder and windows handles the rest.

You betcha. Just get them named in the order you want them to change.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

You betcha. Just get them named in the order you want them to change.

Is there a way to do this on dual monitors, with a different background on each, and have it set to slideshow mode?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Droid Washington posted:

Is there a way to do this on dual monitors, with a different background on each, and have it set to slideshow mode?

Not that I am aware of within Windows 7. I don't have dual monitors here so I cannot test, but you may be able to take your two backgrounds and mash them together side by side, so then you would still have one image being selected for your background, then rotate through those.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

...Only on OSX :smug:

...unless you do what Moey said, but it can be really annoying.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Moey posted:

Not that I am aware of within Windows 7. I don't have dual monitors here so I cannot test, but you may be able to take your two backgrounds and mash them together side by side, so then you would still have one image being selected for your background, then rotate through those.

^^^^That will work, its crude and it relies on you pairing sets of desktops together to form spanned images. This is a crude fix. (Though it does work.)

Certain applications can do it. DisplayFusion, UltraMon or MultiMon should have that function. (And better multiple monitor desktop backgrounds as well.)

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 24, 2011

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Here's mine (some of it, anyway... my desk is about 11 foot long).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Raikiri posted:

Here's mine (some of it, anyway... my desk is about 11 foot long).
That's a sharp little aquarium. Where's it from?

edit: Nevermind, just found your post in the aquarium thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
It's a fluval edge, I bought it from seapets.co.uk but there should be plenty of US stockists too.