Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You've got an encrypted line. You could potentially lead one of them into a crossfire with the light 'mech. However, with the odds stacked like this, that's probably the best you could manage anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It seems rather out of character that anyone in the IS would, right at this moment, have any idea what the Zellbrigen is - except maybe that the snakes do the same thing? Wouldn't they just revert to type, or total war, until infomation was disseminated?

I am playing a fluffy game. I am not requiring the players to do so for a very good reason. A 'fluffy' game is a handicapped game.

Defiance Industries posted:

Hard to say. I think, given their recent history versus the Draconis Combine, the Legion would probably try to manipulate enemy actions once the Clanners started shouting out dueling challenges. That is how the system works, after all. You establish LOS, then everyone starts shouting poo poo over the radio like "Blah blah blah I'm so and so of Clan Homoerotic Panther and I pilot a Popobawa and I challenge the Banshee!"

That's pretty much it. If the Clans were invading, say, the Free Worlds League? It'd make sense--but the Lyrans are really accustomed to exploiting an enemy pilot looking to have a 'one on one duel'. Accept, lure them into position to eat an AC20 to the spine, move on.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You've got an encrypted line. You could potentially lead one of them into a crossfire with the light 'mech. However, with the odds stacked like this, that's probably the best you could manage anyway.

I love the panic, but they're not as bad as they look. At least, not at first.

VVV Trust the Steel Vipers to challenge the first (or biggest) player 'mech they see.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 24, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

So, team: The big question is if we want to even make a show of sticking to zellbrigen (yes) or if we want to throw a focus fire party and watch as the Clans do that much, much better than us (no). The three chokepoints they're going to be coming through are pretty clear. My Zeus, as said earlier, is going to fight best when sticking at ~5-7 hexes. That means my initial position is going to need to be inside the southeastern area where we've started, probably around that horizontal road north of us. Depending on exactly what I end up brawling, that'll change. I do so love using woods as cover... anyway. I like the look of the southern exit a lot more than the northern exit to our nook. We have to get off the pavement, because we have to be able to run without fear. That means the wooded hills in the center of the map. Alternately, we can make a group dash for the forested hills in the NE corner of the map, and draw out the fight up there. Thoughts? Right now, I'm thinking I like the NE if they don't all have jump jets (they probably do).

Things will probably change as stuff goes down, but right now I am thinking you should hole up in cover and I'll play lineman. Maybe hope we can draw the forward elements between the two building areas (I'm assuming that's what the red outlines are) and defeat them in detail.

The question is whether to focus fire or not; we know in a meta-game sense that that would be an extremely bad idea for us, but in-universe they don't/wouldn't know that. And how would any of us know to call for honor duels?

If we can go this round without opening fire and drawing all of them down on us, I have an idea. Dunno if PTN is up for it, so I'm not going to go into details here.

edit: I would suggest we start to move toward the gap in hills at around 1130 and 1131. Me and the Banshee in front, the Zeus hanging back a bit and the Wolfhound ready to flank or go wherever. The tunnel for the tank is tempting, but I don't know if we want to split it from the rest of us (tank vs clan weaponry = dead).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 24, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

The question is whether to focus fire or not; we know in a meta-game sense that that would be an extremely bad idea for us, but in-universe they don't/wouldn't know that. And how would any of us know to call for honor duels?

Well, you guys aren't going to call for Honor Duels. The Clanners will call you out when they see you. At which point any 2nd Guardsman worth his salt would be like "These dudes are dumb like Snakes."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 24, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

WarLocke posted:

Things will probably change as stuff goes down, but right now I am thinking you should hole up in cover and I'll play lineman. Maybe hope we can draw the forward elements between the two building areas (I'm assuming that's what the red outlines are) and defeat them in detail.

If we can go this round without opening fire and drawing all of them down on us, I have an idea. Dunno if PTN is up for it, so I'm not going to go into details here.

Sehr gut. This turn, I'm putting myself in 1821 facing 1721; The other two assaults can actually get out of our area, and I can take up the rear and use my longer ranged weapons from the back of a column. And after we engage, we can either pull back to the SE or dance around the forested hills.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Quick question; Do we have any mech that will overheat like crazy if alphaing? We got -1 water to stand in :S

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Affi posted:

Quick question; Do we have any mech that will overheat like crazy if alphaing? We got -1 water to stand in :S

The Wolfhound and Banshee both run pretty hot. The Zeus and Cyclops can build heat, but not as fast.

e: Wolfhound has 12 heatsinks (IIRC?), large laser is 8 heat, 3 medium lasers is 9 more heat, running is 2 heat... yeah, can heat up pretty drat fast. The Banshee builds 20 heat just from the paired PPCs. Zeus' only real heat generator is the PPC, and the Cyclops is probably the coolest of our mechs (also criminally under-armored).

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, you guys aren't going to call for Honor Duels. The Clanners will call you out when they see you. At which point any 2nd Guardsman worth his salt would be like "These dudes are dumb like Snakes."

'Day
Eh, folks? If you really want to go fluffy, would the 2nd Guard think that if they refuse duels the second enemy lance will engage? Even going aganist DC accepting duels could sometime be tactically sound option... non?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

WarLocke posted:

The Wolfhound and Banshee both run pretty hot. The Zeus and Cyclops can build heat, but not as fast.

e: Wolfhound has 12 heatsinks (IIRC?), large laser is 8 heat, 3 medium lasers is 9 more heat, running is 2 heat... yeah, can heat up pretty drat fast. The Banshee builds 20 heat just from the paired PPCs. Zeus' only real heat generator is the PPC, and the Cyclops is probably the coolest of our mechs (also criminally under-armored).

WLF-1 only has 10 sinks. It can either fire the large or the mediums safely, but not both.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Affi posted:

Honestly, not really. The Zeus is an icebox, so no worries there. The Banshee can overheat fast, but only if you don't properly layer your fire. The Wolfhound can run real hot, but standing still in water isn't a terribly good idea in a light mech. And the Cyclops doesn't have any leg-mounted heat sinks, so it wouldn't be affected anyway.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I am in the AC-5 variant of the Zeus, not the PPC. Sadly. I'd kill for a PPC to pair with the rest of my weapons.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

I am in the AC-5 variant of the Zeus, not the PPC. Sadly. I'd kill for a PPC to pair with the rest of my weapons.

Oh wow, we really are getting the knob then, huh? I don't think the AC/5 Zeus can even build heat without engine crits. Too bad it has basically no ammo and it does lovely damage (relative to the PPC variant).

God PTN you better have some deus ex machina poo poo for us... :smithicide:

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Affi posted:

So what had happened if she :j: put that on Dusk? :gonk:

I think it's better that we never know.

Never ever. :gonk:

Re LPBT challenge 2, finally got around to uploading a video. If anyone cares to see the frog-chicken legged abomination that is the Stormcrow, and what it can do with approximately 147 mines, please enjoy this video of that. I am however not looking to fish up any additional points, bonus or otherwise - just thought maybe someone'd like to see it (they probably won't), since playing as it is a SNES exclusive and Poptarts can't really show it. I did speed up the video after a minute, just to get it all over with a little faster.

Spencerb posted:

Cheers! I'll be sure to die gloriously in your honor.
drat well better had!

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah, but a whole regiment (plus armor regiment, plus infantry regement, plus aerospace wing) was bid to oppose them, quiaff? It's hardly Star Colonel Dawn's fault that she kept her own command binary in reserve to shore up the lines and was attacked by a lance of 'Mechs trying to headhunt and/or flank the main battle lines.

I think you mean Dusk, right?

On a totally unrelated note, please tell me there are no distant descendants of certain usurpers running around in this alt. timeline.:suicide:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Tempest_56 posted:

Honestly, not really. The Zeus is an icebox, so no worries there. The Banshee can overheat fast, but only if you don't properly layer your fire. The Wolfhound can run real hot, but standing still in water isn't a terribly good idea in a light mech. And the Cyclops doesn't have any leg-mounted heat sinks, so it wouldn't be affected anyway.

Alright but Banshee has really weak legs right? Legs are protected in -1 water?? Also better cooling = more PPCs into the clanners. Situational I guess.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gladi posted:

'Day
Eh, folks? If you really want to go fluffy, would the 2nd Guard think that if they refuse duels the second enemy lance will engage? Even going aganist DC accepting duels could sometime be tactically sound option... non?

Generally refusing duels is something you only do if you want to try and goad the enemy in to something. Given their numerical advantage, it is probably not something you want to do.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

DeepThrobble posted:

On a totally unrelated note, please tell me there are no distant descendants of certain usurpers running around in this alt. timeline.:suicide:

There are. PTN has mentioned it in the STO thread.

(Yes, I can clearly remember the months-ago throwaway posts, my memory has a freakish appetite for irrelevant trivia)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

So what had happened if he put that on Dusk?

I'd have asked him (her?) to choose a different 'Mech. Dusk doesn't need any more advantages, she's already got an Executioner.

DeepThrobble posted:

4th Viper Guards. I was bound to make that mistake, since it is a reference.

DeepThrobble posted:

Go reread the Dismal Disinherited entry from the first vote.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Affi posted:

Alright but Banshee has really weak legs right? Legs are protected in -1 water?? Also better cooling = more PPCs into the clanners. Situational I guess.

The PPCs aren't really the Banshee's main guns. They're there to use while closing, but the Banshee is really a punchy mech. It's huge, you chanrge up and punch/kick the poo poo out of some poor guy, and while you're doing that you let the AC/20 rip.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
^^^
No AC/20 in this version.

Affi posted:

There are actually several big disadvantages for a mech in water which mostly come up if a pilot fails piloting rolls. Seeing as our pilots have only 5 piloting it's probably not a good idea to tempt fate too much.

On the plus side, however, it's one potential way to technically pass the 20 turn limit if the clanners don't feel like kicking/going prone or don't have any leg mounted weapons.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Mastigophoran posted:

fast little bastard

Jeez, the Stormcrow is so superior to the Timber Wolf in that game. That almost looked fun.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd have asked him (her?) to choose a different 'Mech. Dusk doesn't need any more advantages, she's already got an Executioner.

Somebody engage the second star! I want to see the Executioner in action.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WarLocke posted:

The PPCs aren't really the Banshee's main guns. They're there to use while closing, but the Banshee is really a punchy mech. It's huge, you chanrge up and punch/kick the poo poo out of some poor guy, and while you're doing that you let the AC/20 rip.

The Banshee-3S has an AC/10. It's the -3Q that has an AC/20, and that thing is basically a Super Hunchback.

The -3S is fun cause you can blow holes with the PPCs and AC/10 and then when you get close, switch to lasers and SRMS and punches. It's good at pretty much every range.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

I checked out Sarna.net but there was no info on the Dismal Disinherited. Could someone give me some info about this unit? Thanks!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Affi posted:

I checked out Sarna.net but there was no info on the Dismal Disinherited. Could someone give me some info about this unit? Thanks!

More the reference to the New Rim Worlds Republic. :)

edit: Also, Star Captain Dawn of the Steel Vipers was a main character in that novel. And Dusk is a ref to that, and why he brought this topic up after noting the Dawn for Dusk typo. Canon whores, to me! RALLY!

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 24, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Oh, something else. For our newbies/uninformed:

2nd Donegal Guards: The Unwearied Second

The Donegal Guards are a storied unit, stretching back hundreds of years. At their height, the Guards were composed of a full 20 Battlemech regiments - today, they have 11.

The Donegal Guards use a blue-gray paint scheme. On a mech's right shoulder is the Guard's symbol - a dark red square with a green shamrock. On the left is the division's symbol - in this case a blue Steiner fist against a red background, clutching a golden crown.

The 2nd Donegal was originally the 11th Terran Rangers and can trace it's history back to the earliest days of man's journey into space. Stranded when the Terran Alliance pulled it's borders back in the 2230s, the 11th survived by drips and drabs until it was employed by Seth Marsden in 2310. Marsden, a powerful trade magnate, would go on to found the Protectorate of Donegal - which cued the 11th's transformation into the 2nd Guards. They have been extremely active over the centuries since, participating in basically every significant Steiner military operation in the last seven centuries. They have also become a common place for junior members of the Steiner family to be hosted, which is the source of their unit's insignia. The 2nd Guards are commonly accompanied by a bevy of support units, with integral aerospace, armor, artillery and infantry elements.

In game canon, the 2nd Donegal only ever missed being involved in one major military operation in Lyran history. The Clan Invasion.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

..she's already got an Executioner.

Oh crap...

Breaking zellbrigen would be bad. Very bad.

In fact, you all might just want to leave right now and hope that she doesn't chase you down like dogs.

On second thought, she could probably chase the majority of you down in that thing...

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Tempest_56 posted:

In game canon, the 2nd Donegal only ever missed being involved in one major military operation in Lyran history. The Clan Invasion.

So what did the 2nd Donegal do during the clan invasion?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Affi posted:

Sat around drinking and talked about stepping on Katherine Steiner-Davion with a Zeus.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sometimes, I hate it when I'm right. Here is what they are facing...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Executioner_%28Gladiator%29

The upside, though, is if one can penetrate its armor in the right places say hello to a possible ammo explosion. Even with CASE, the explosion will still damage the engine I think. Being that the pilot is a Star Colonel, however, means that she is no dummy and will likely dump the ammo in the event of a probable armor breach in those areas. Also, its Gauss Rifle is scary, but if Dusk is using the prime config. the thing's only got 8 shots.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Affi posted:

They were like the one regiment that was left to hold the Terran Corridor in case someone got ballsy. You gotta think that either the Warlord of Dieron in the Combine or those dumbshits in Skye will need the boots put to them.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Affi posted:

As of the 20 Year Update, they were stationed on Hyde, near Solaris. Basically nowhere near the fighting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bonus Update 2: Let's Keep Playing Battletech!

You know what's exactly like last time but on a 160 second time limit?

Battletech for the Sega Genesis, Mission 2!

Wow. Is that, like, an optional time limit, go on to next mission, or is it just game over if you can't get to opposite corners of an unfamiliar lava field on mission 2?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

Wow. Is that, like, an optional time limit, go on to next mission, or is it just game over if you can't get to opposite corners of an unfamiliar lava field on mission 2?

Instant game over. Wats Good Game Deisgn? :downs:
... Mission 4 has an even stupider time limit, too.

Tempest_56 posted:

As of the 20 Year Update, they were stationed on Hyde, near Solaris. Basically nowhere near the fighting.

Hey, they were discouraging Marik agression! protecting trade! sleeping with people! Two years not dying fighting the Clans R&R after a thousand years of fighting for the Lyran Commonwealth is a pretty bum deal, all things considered.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 24, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was hoping that we'd see how things shook down when Era Report: 3052 came out, but it doesn't have one of those neat force breakdowns. Instead all we know is that their next station, by 3055, was Gienah, near the Combine border.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 24, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Guys.... metagame tactics here:

The Wolfhound challenges everyone. Both stars. All ten mechs. ALL of them. Invite them to bring friends if they think they're hard enough.

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, because it's designed for gravity affecting it in one (and only one) direction. Dropships crumple like tin cans if they 'land' on their sides. Battletech gives physics a passing nod, for the most part--it's why Aerospace Fighters (which have no real lift-generation beyond pure thrust in an atmosphere) crash if you so much as wing one with an AC/2.

Actually :haw:

:commissar:

No, no more physics derails.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Huh, that reference totally flew over my head. Then again anything involving either the Vipers or the FWL alone have a way of slipping people's minds, so I guess I was lucky enough to remember anything involving Star Lord in the first place.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

The Merry Marauder posted:

I don't understand this. Why flirt with minimums for the LRMs, and why close the range with bad armor?

Simple - you're at a greater disadvantage at range than you are up close. The Zeus doesn't have the ammo to take bad shots and hope to plink away at the enemy - you need to get inside where you can bring as much pain to bear as quickly as possible. Hopefully, the Clanners will gently caress up and let you get in physical combat range, but even without that, you're better off up close.

And the only reason to go in to 5 hexes is because that's the short range limit for the Large Laser - otherwise, you'd want 6-7.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Guys.... metagame tactics here:

The Wolfhound challenges everyone. Both stars. All ten mechs. ALL of them. Invite them to bring friends if they think they're hard enough.

Intentionally moving out of weapons range or LOS is one of those things that invalidates a duel and is going to raise clan Ire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Felime posted:

Intentionally moving out of weapons range or LOS is one of those things that invalidates a duel and is going to raise clan Ire.

You have to sustain it for several turns, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Kenlon posted:

Hopefully, the Clanners will gently caress up and let you get in physical combat range, but even without that, you're better off up close.

Oh yeah. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but Clanners hate physical combat. I believe all Clan pilots take something like a -1 or -2 to physical combat rolls.

However, entering into physical combat also breaks Zellbrigen. That says that you can't engage in physical combat so long as you have even one weapon still able to fire.

• Locked thread