Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

The Clan assaults situation I could understand, as they are murder machines. Mediums calling out assaults, though...Clanners are kind of dumb that way. Honor before reason, I guess?

The worse the odds, the greater the glory. Steel Vipers are particularly bad about that kind of thing. Most Clanners have a superiority complex and even they find the Steel Vipers arrogant dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
@LeschNyhan

Yep, that finishes it out.

Though I had "Confirmed. Permission granted." to make it more flowery. The Ack is acknowledged, saying "yes I understand." and the Aff is "Affirmative" as in yes, go ahead.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 25, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Tactische

O-kay. Tentative recommendation is that we Accept the duel to try to play for time. If the Banshee then moves to 1323, it'll break LOS with the Cobra and maybe buy us another turn if everyone else stays out of sight of wherever that B2 is going to move. That'd mean L4 staying where it is, and us other three sticking to our vertical road and waiting for someone to come through that top passageway at us.

Second plan: FIRE EVERYTHING!!! L3 moves to 1421 (or 1422 if you don't feel bold) and opens up with everything, L4 charges into the wooded belt and opens up, and L1 and L2 round the corner and try to put the Battle Cobra down on turn one. None of us can get excellent to hits this turn I don't think, so we'd be relying on the dice to go our way thanks to throwing overwhelming firepower at it ASAP and committing to a star-on-lance fight without any more one on ones. Maybe a bit more likely to get us a defeat of Beta star, less likely to have us last 20 turns, in my view.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The worse the odds, the greater the glory. Steel Vipers are particularly bad about that kind of thing. Most Clanners have a superiority complex and even they find the Steel Vipers arrogant dickheads.

This is the truth. Ghost Bears for life, quiaff?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

This is the truth. Ghost Bears for life, quiaff?

gently caress yeah, man. Or Nova Cats. I love those nutters.

Wait poo poo I'm not playing the clans oh god i'm the traitor-

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

gently caress yeah, man. Or Nova Cats. I love those nutters.

Wait poo poo I'm not playing the clans oh god i'm the traitor-

Coin flips are the best way to decide a battle. Anything to gently caress over the Smoke Jaguars.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Please elaborate? I would like to know more. (About the duel.)

Not a duel, but Clan Jade Falcon was once trying to capture Kai Allard while he was trapped behind enemy lines. I don't really want to elaborate on it more because he was one a them REDACTED fellows we hear about, so I can't say much yet. You need to find a man named Taman Malthus for that.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I fully expect my beloved mech to challenge the most dangerous surat on the field. The Wolfhound should be a good challenge for my mech, quiaff?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

The Clan assaults situation I could understand, as they are murder machines. Mediums calling out assaults, though...Clanners are kind of dumb that way. Honor before reason, I guess?

A Ryoken can make a lot of IS assaults it's bitch. The Clan ER Medium is basically a one-ton large laser, and clan PPCs do 50% more damage than ours and have more range while being smaller and lighter. Combine that with a movement curve of 6/9 and you can see why they are so dangerous for a lot of machines.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

I fully expect my beloved mech to challenge the most dangerous surat on the field. The Wolfhound should be a good challenge for my mech, quiaff?

The wolfhound wouldn't last two turns against it, heh.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The wolfhound wouldn't last two turns against it, heh.

The Wolfhound wouldn't last two turns against many Clan mechs to be honest. It's not a bad little mech, but the keyword there is "little".

Also, since it appears to have been missed a few pages back (though perhaps deliberately for story reasons), was the stuff about "continued survival" in the vote for which side to play this time just fluff, or did our lack of ComGuard votes actually get them blown to hell?

[EDIT] And anybody who doesn't know what the mystery unit! we've been avoiding is should definitely know now. Though I don't think it was really that big a secret to start with. But when you go from calling them an "it" to a "he", that pretty much removes any pretense of subtlety.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 25, 2011

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

Not a duel, but Clan Jade Falcon was once trying to capture Kai Allard while he was trapped behind enemy lines. I don't really want to elaborate on it more because he was one a them REDACTED fellows we hear about, so I can't say much yet. You need to find a man named Taman Malthus for that.

A clanner named Corbin beat a bid of a single bullet with a knife and a laser optic.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Boogle posted:

A clanner named Corbin beat a bid of a single bullet with a knife and a laser optic.

Then if I recall, he got killed in a fight with Kai and it went back to bidding, at which point Malthus went full Predator and bid nothing but himself and whatever he could make by hand from poo poo in the jungle.

Those dudes were, in general, pretty hard.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT] And anybody who doesn't know what the mystery unit! we've been avoiding is should definitely know now. Though I don't think it was really that big a secret to start with. But when you go from calling them an "it" to a "he", that pretty much removes any pretense of subtlety.

We will never stop calling them REDACTED. Even after we finally meet them they will still be REDACTED.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Also, since it appears to have been missed a few pages back (though perhaps deliberately for story reasons), was the stuff about "continued survival" in the vote for which side to play this time just fluff, or did our lack of ComGuard votes actually get them blown to hell?

The ComGuards have about six 'Mechs on every planet. They are (and have been) getting their asses kicked pretty much continuously since the invasion began. That doesn't mean they're going to be knocked out of the fight so quickly. The 'Mechs they're currently fielding aren't LosTech, they're just "whatever crap we had on hand that won't make the great houses jealous".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Depends on the clan.

Steel Viper? They'd react with explosive contemptuousness, probably sending two or three too-fast-to-evade Mediums/Heavies to go and crush the drat thing.
And it just has to keep them dancing for a while. If you start to bid in terrain it gets *really* interesting.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Please elaborate? I would like to know more. (About the duel.)
It wasn't a duel. Some <REDACTED> were trying to hunt him down thinking he was some random infantry grunt who escaped prison and bid away their gear until the Star Commander who won the bid had a pair of boots and his clothes in the end, the previous bidder being beaten by a knife.

It was later revealed that if he knew who he was hunting he would have bid the entire Star in full gear.

This is why my Wolfhound plan would actually be a solid decision in metagame terms.

Zaodai posted:

All they know now is that they have at least one sex. There may also be female <REDACTED> and it could be anything from "sheep herder" to "warship captain" without the third person gender-specific pronoun giving anything away.

Seriously, it's a pretty drat safe bet that we're dealing with humans in charge of the <REDACTED>, whatever they are, given that we've already gone over the whole

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So their garrisons are getting beat up, but they weren't wiped out as a faction due to the vote.

Good to know, just had to be sure.

[EDIT]

Arquinsiel posted:

All they know now is that they have at least one sex. There may also be female <REDACTED> and it could be anything from "sheep herder" to "warship captain" without the third person gender-specific pronoun giving anything away.

You missed part of a post that has since been edited that I was also referring to. There's a rather large difference between "He was a member of the <REDACTED>" and "He was a <REDACTED>." Especially when it comes down to a discussion about someone hunting someone else down with nothing but the clothes on their back.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 25, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Then if I recall, he got killed in a fight with Kai and it went back to bidding, at which point Malthus went full Predator and bid nothing but himself and whatever he could make by hand from poo poo in the jungle.

Those dudes were, in general, pretty hard.

I'm assuming that Star Captain Taman Malthus wound up dead, impaled on a sharpened tree branch?

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I'm assuming that Star Captain Taman Malthus wound up dead, impaled on a sharpened tree branch?

ComStar interfered with Operation Scorpion before they could finish.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

LeschNyhan posted:

Awesome, awesome bit of fluffwork there, PTN. I picked it all up
I have got to agree, that traffic was beautiful to read. I did not know clanners used so many abbreviations when communicating on the battlefield, but most of them are pretty self explanatory, and the others can be easily deciphered by keeping in mind the situation they are in.

LeschNyhan posted:

I'd almost suggest accepting the duels but trying to negotiate dragging them out into a one-at-a-time affair to buy more time, maybe by limiting the duels to occur in a limited space.
Depending on the variant this might be a good idea: one on one the Banshee should come out victorious without too much damage, and if it can be separated, the rest of the star could be suckered into an ambush, or at least somewhere where they cannot open fire on the Banshee after it has dealt with that overambitious mechwarrior.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

He and Kai became best buds. Kai invited him to Solaris to have a brew and watch a few "sports" of the type that would immediately have Malthus advising Khan Pryde to launch an attack on the Lyran Commonwealth. Y'know, like she did at Coventry within, what, a year?

Mathus was never seen again after that book.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Boogle posted:

ComStar interfered with Operation Scorpion before they could finish.

drat. It would've done a lot for Kai's reputation if he out-Predator'd a Star of <Redacted>, one at a time, in the jungle.

PoptartsNinja posted:

He and Kai became best buds.

Well, yeah. Best friendship or foe yay is the only way to react to a guy who sets out to hunt you down in the closest thing to naked you can be without your danglies dangling everywhere for any random jungle cat to claw off.

quote:

Kai invited him to Solaris to have a brew and watch a few "sports" of the type that would immediately have Malthus advising Khan Pryde to launch an attack on the Lyran Commonwealth.

Mathus was never seen again.

I'm guessing he either liked it so much he never left, or he got drunk and entered the match in his <Redacted> suit and got blown away by an alpha strike of small lasers?

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 25, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The ComGuards have about six 'Mechs on every planet. They are (and have been) getting their asses kicked pretty much continuously since the invasion began. That doesn't mean they're going to be knocked out of the fight so quickly. The 'Mechs they're currently fielding aren't LosTech, they're just "whatever crap we had on hand that won't make the great houses jealous".

Not even six mechs, just a Level II, which is probably like two mechs, a couple platoons of infantry, and two fighters or artillery guns.

But yes, the ComGuard's real muscle is hidden away, but they have 72 divisions (144 regiments) of Star League hardware in mind condition and 30-40 some-odd WarShips they are sitting on.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 25, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

We will never stop calling them REDACTED. Even after we finally meet them they will still be REDACTED.

You mean it's...them? The...Redacted? Oh Shi-
Warning: may be a little loud (yes I am aware the meme in question is old)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yes, the ComGuard's real muscle is hidden away, but they have 72 divisions (144 regiments) of Star League hardware in mind condition and 30-40 some-odd WarShips they are sitting on.

And no leaders with enough backbone to order them deployed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zaodai posted:

You missed part of a post that has since been edited that I was also referring to. There's a rather large difference between "He was a member of the <REDACTED>" and "He was a <REDACTED>." Especially when it comes down to a discussion about someone hunting someone else down with nothing but the clothes on their back.
"He was a Marine" or "He was a member of the Marine Corps". Same deal man.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arquinsiel posted:

"He was a Marine" or "He was a member of the Marine Corps". Same deal man.

No, see. It's not in context. Because the entire previous context of the discussion had them as a clan unit in a game about giant loving robots. Suddenly taking it form a machine (like a mech or a tank) to a person is big difference.

But whatever. Anybody that perceptive probably figured it out ages ago and it's moot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, do they even have a Precentor Martial or is the Com Guard still part of ROM at this point?

Anyway Malthus also does a cameo in Malicious Intent, where he is Critchell's champion, and in FM:U he is a Galaxy Commander. The Galaxy even changed their logo in his honor.

Then I think he got killed by the Donner Bomb along with s pot of other potentially interesting characters so that we could make room for the poo poo sandwich that is Devlin Stone.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

landcollector posted:

You mean it's...them? The...Redacted? Oh Shi-
Warning: may be a little loud (yes I am aware the meme in question is old)

Yea I thought it was Special Things Operation Bulldog got clobbered by for the longest time. Somehow, the REDACTED are even more terrifying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Bah, everyone knows you're talking about Aerospace Fighter Pilots, you can lay off it guys. So, what's the worst case scenario for the Battle Cobra's armament?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bah, everyone knows you're talking about Aerospace Fighter Pilots, you can lay off it guys. So, what's the worst case scenario for the Battle Cobra's armament?

Besides that you min-maxed a custom variant? Discounting machines that use tech that's not invented yet like ATMs or Heavy Lasers, I think the Banshee would worry more about the B confit than the Prime or A.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel it's pretty safe to admit that there's no heavy lasers, advanced tactical bullshit, or hyper-assault gauss rofles floating around. Beta Star only has four PPCs. Gamma Star has even less, IIRC.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 25, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

ERPPCs.

Nothing but ERPPCs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All of the ERPPCs. Ever. On one mech. Yes, every single production run.

Even the prototypes.

Zaodai posted:

No, see. It's not in context. Because the entire previous context of the discussion had them as a clan unit in a game about giant loving robots. Suddenly taking it form a machine (like a mech or a tank) to a person is big difference.

But whatever. Anybody that perceptive probably figured it out ages ago and it's moot.
Dude... "Marine" is also a specific unit type. It implies different equipment, tactics, organisation and pretty much everything. Stop making mountains out of every molehill you find.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I feel it's pretty safe to admit that there's no heavy lasers, advanced tactical bullshit, or hyper-assault gauss rofles floating around.

I just call em rear end-to-Mouths cause they suck, no matter what.

In that case, the B for sure.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

8 ER Large Lasers and a pair of Gauss Rifles. And voodoo magic to fit it all on there.

And hand holds

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

In that case, the B for sure.

Oohh, Config B is painful indeed. Twin Clan ER-PPCs are pretty potent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Bonus Update 3

Hey there, everyone! Are you ready for more bonus content? I know I am!

Let's Play Battletech: Mission 3!

Contest!
To teach you health respect for the humble machine gun, I would like to see videos of you aspiring young 'Mechwarriors navigating the icy areas in this mission using only your machine guns! For the SNES players, you also have to do this mission in a Wolverine.

Playing in two-player mode will likely be a huge help.

The first person who posts a video will get to pick from one of several prizes:

EA) their vote counts for 5 votes next time
EB) A 2nd Donegal Guards Aerospace Fighter circles the map for five turns, preventing the enemy ECM from hiding them if they're not in anyone's line of sight.
EC) A 2nd Donegal Guards Aerospace Fighter strafes the Clan 'Mech of your choice (warning: Gamma Star has a defense against this).
ED) A Clan Aerospace Fighter strafes the Player 'Mech of your choice. You rear end in a top hat.

Zaodai posted:

And hand holds

You're in luck! All Clan Omnimechs get those standard-issue, even the little ones!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 25, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I feel it's pretty safe to admit that there's no heavy lasers, advanced tactical bullshit, or hyper-assault gauss rofles floating around. Beta Star only has four PPCs. Gamma Star has even less, IIRC.

It's not often I feel the need to disrespect the omnissiah or the guy who brought us 'mech propaganda, but...

You guys can shove that noise.

Advanced Tactical Missiles and Hyper-Assault Gauss cannons are the best loving things ever. You have impugned their honor and manliness, and I now feel the need to cleanse that stain by inventing a variant MadCat that uses both a HAG-40 and an ATM-12.

And hey, DI? When are you gonna make another 'mech propaganda piece. I want you to do the Firefly! Bonus points if you do it while listneing to Firefly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

ED) A Clan Aerospace Fighter strafes the Player 'Mech of your choice. You rear end in a top hat.

You are sorely tempting me to do do this contest again. I shall refrain, however, so somebody else can enjoy such a remarkable game.

• Locked thread