Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
This short is better than a lot of scary movies I've seen.

Blinky™

http://vimeo.com/21216091

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Juanito posted:

Blinky™

Wow. Yeah this is really great.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Juanito posted:

Blinky™

That was incredible.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Juanito posted:

Blinky™

I came across this as a fan of Ólafur Arnalds who did the music for this but I thought the whole thing was great a genuinely creepy.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Juanito posted:

Blinky™

Yeah thanks for posting this, this is really well done! Reminds me of the old EC Horror Comics stories or a Creepshow vignette. Loved it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Juanito posted:

Blinky™

Outstanding.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Awww, I would never be that mean to Blinky :( He's like a, erm, special version of Wall-E!

That was fantastic. I knew what was coming, but I didn't know HOW it would happen. As for a terrible movie, Paranormal Activity 2. I can't help it, I just need to watch sequels to movies. It was even more boring than the first.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just finished watching High Lane, a French horror from 09. I hadn't heard anything about it, but the synopsis seemed interesting enough and Netflix thought I'd like it. They were wrong. The first half had some really good shots of the characters rock climbing and played on people natural unease with heights (the same way The Descent did with tight spaces), but then it went all to hell. It's almost like the writers said, "gently caress it, we'll just fill it from here with unused footage from Wrong Turn." It becomes terribly generic and you've just seen everything. The characters were unlikeable and, on top of that, you had to listen to them talk in lovely English dub overs. I would MUCH prefer to read subtitles. Thankfully, they didn't talk tooooooo much. I haven't seen it mentioned in here, so I thought I'd give my two cents on it. I gave it 2/5 (they thought I'd give it 4/5).

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

XIII posted:

I just finished watching High Lane,

I was *just* getting ready to come here and post this. I 100% agree with everything you said, though I couldn't even finish the film. I think they put every cliche you could think of for a horror film and put it into this waste of 1.5 hours.

I think what really got under my skin, like you mentioned, was the god awful dubbing they did. Some of the most unenthusiastic voice actors I have ever heard which really ruined the whole mood. By 20 minutes in I either wanted all of them to fall to their whining deaths, or I was going to jump.

I think you were being gracious by giving it 2/5

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Some pics from the Silent Hill 2 set.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/from-the-set-of-silent-hill-revelation-new-pics-show-off-heather-mason/

I really liked the first one, so hopefully they don't gently caress this one up too much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's based off Silent Hill 3, no sidetrack to Sean Bean making phone calls in his office? Almost sounds too good to be true.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
I just came across this story about Dyatlov Pass on wikipedia and thought how awesome a film of this would be, if it fell into the right hands. Not sure what really happened there, or how much of it is based in truth, but it is something that could make for a gripping story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

quote:
The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. It happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат Сяхл) (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov (Игорь Дятлов).
The lack of eyewitnesses and subsequent investigations into the hikers' deaths have inspired much speculation. Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot in heavy snow. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue. According to sources, four of the victims' clothing contained substantial levels of radiation. There is no mention of this in contemporary documentation; it only appears in later documents. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident. The chronology of the incident remains unclear due to the lack of survivors

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^I've always felt like the Dyatlov Pass story could be a great source for a horror movie, but it could easily be ruined. They'd probably rewrite it to involve a Yeti.

eckoelab posted:

By 20 minutes in I either wanted all of them to fall to their whining deaths

I was SO loving happy they killed Luke (was that his name? I've already forgotten). What a whiny little bitch.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I really liked the first one, so hopefully they don't gently caress this one up too much.

The first one caught a ton of flack, but I really liked it a whole loving lot! I felt like the "big showdown" with all the barbed wire in the church was a little forced, but oh well. Hope the 2nd one follows through.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Some pics from the Silent Hill 2 set.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/from-the-set-of-silent-hill-revelation-new-pics-show-off-heather-mason/

Kind of disappointing, to be honest. Silent Hill 2 would have been a great choice since it can exist as its own narrative without having to make any reference to the first movie, which basically failed to impress anyone who hadn't played the games and weren't ready to accept its shortcomings. As a fan, I hope they do a better job with this one, but I can't help but anticipate the same overuse of Pyramid Head and goofy CGI monsters.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Kind of disappointing, to be honest. Silent Hill 2 would have been a great choice since it can exist as its own narrative without having to make any reference to the first movie, which basically failed to impress anyone who hadn't played the games and weren't ready to accept its shortcomings. As a fan, I hope they do a better job with this one, but I can't help but anticipate the same overuse of Pyramid Head and goofy CGI monsters.

The monsters in Silent Hill weren't CGI, they were done with extremely elaborate makeup and very good acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMMOzFD2FzY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1HC9gfWmQ4
Silent Hill is a Good Movie.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 25, 2011

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
The end was insane and definitely CGI. I can't even remember enough to describe it. All I know is that it got really crazy and gross.

But knowing that those monsters weren't CGI is kinda cool.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I think they originally wanted two pyramid heads to break into the church at the end and kill everyone, but they didn't have enough time or money or something, so they ended up just going with the CGI barbed wire massacre that's in the film.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

scary ghost dog posted:

The monsters in Silent Hill weren't CGI, they were done with extremely elaborate makeup and very good acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMMOzFD2FzY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1HC9gfWmQ4
Silent Hill is a Good Movie.

I followed the hype machine like a hawk, so I know they used less CG than most movies do these days. But the burning fetus monsters were the chief offenders when it comes to moving unnaturaly and not being especially scary. As for being a good movie, I don't hate it, I just can't watch it without worrying over the things they screwed up. Mostly how they went back and described the entire plot in a flashback sequence, or the "Look mom, I'm on fire!" scene that actually made the theater I saw it in crack up.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I tried really hard to like Silent Hill. When I saw it in the cinema I was convinced it was good, but then I watched it again on DVD and it dawned on me as the film unfolded that it was pretty poor and mostly stupid. There are parts of it that are good - some of the costume and set design is really fantastic, but the story is so bizarre and badly structured, the soundtrack is so lazy, Pyramid Head is there is so pointless and the whole barbed-wire ending is so absurdly over the top that it doesn't work. There's never a feeling of claustrophobia or threat or...anything.

I don't have high hopes for the second one, but I'll see it out of sheer curiosity. At the very least it will be nice to look at, especially if they go for the full-on bright, gaudy red colour palette of the third game.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I followed the hype machine like a hawk, so I know they used less CG than most movies do these days. But the burning fetus monsters were the chief offenders when it comes to moving unnaturaly and not being especially scary. As for being a good movie, I don't hate it, I just can't watch it without worrying over the things they screwed up. Mostly how they went back and described the entire plot in a flashback sequence, or the "Look mom, I'm on fire!" scene that actually made the theater I saw it in crack up.

The main thing that killed it is the fact it they changed Henry Mason into a woman because "its a more maternal story" and the fact they turned the town from a Cthullu like witch coven into bat poo poo insane fundamentalists.

While keeping most of the dialogue and scenes from the game the same.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

I didn't like the movie, but I thought they did a fantastic job with the makeup, choreography and set. SH3 was the first game I played, so I'll probably end up seeing the movie, but I don't have high hopes for it. Especially if its 3d. Fuckin' 3d.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Undead Unicorn posted:

The main thing that killed it is the fact it they changed Henry Mason into a woman because "its a more maternal story" and the fact they turned the town from a Cthullu like witch coven into bat poo poo insane fundamentalists.

While keeping most of the dialogue and scenes from the game the same.

Fanservice Ruins Everything.

There's a good movie in there, it's just trapped behind a lot of "we have to have this in here" bullshit.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
Just got around to watching The Descent 2. I quite liked the first but part 2 is pretty much the same movie but worse in every way. I was still somewhat enjoying it until the baffling ending. Several parts of the movie including the ending were obviously designed to go against the audiences expectations but they all felt forced. Overall an ok movie with a ridiculously stupid ending.

Recently watched The Horsemen after reading about it here. A pretty solid revenge movie.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Apollo 18 got moved to January 6, 2012. Definitely not a good sign.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
That's a pretty bad date right? Because all the movies that came out during the holidays are still going big.

Still looks like a cool movie.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Juanito posted:

That's a pretty bad date right? Because all the movies that came out during the holidays are still going big.

Still looks like a cool movie.
First weekend in January is one of the ultimate dumping-ground weekends, yes.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah that time right after the holidays is where the studios put films they know suck so bad hiding it from critics and excessive hype won't yield a profitable opening weekend, so they put them there so everyone goes to the theater thinking "Well nothing else is out yet"

So what is the general horror fan consensus on Insidious? Looks good? Looks bad? Do people who saw it at Toronto film festival think its good?

Maybe it was mentioned pages ago but I just found out about it from a commercial last night and looked up that James Wan directed it which interests me a tiny amount.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
It looks good to me.. and the reviews don't destroy it. One point that they mention is that it relies on loud music to make you jump -- I loving hate when movies do that, and apparently this movie is a serious offender.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Craig Spradlin posted:

There's a good movie in there, it's just trapped behind a lot of "we have to have this in here" bullshit.

More than that. It could have been a good movie if it decided to be either a very pragmatic straight adaption or a revisionism. But instead it decided to pussy out of either decision and go for something in the middle...with a unhealthy portion of fan service... and it hosed itself over.

Turning the town into witch hunters could have been good for example, if the story changed a bit accordingly. Instead it remained the same and added a poo poo ton of plot holes to it.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FoneBone posted:

Apollo 18 got moved to January 6, 2012. Definitely not a good sign.

This was supposed to release next month. What in the gently caress?

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
Blinky was amazing. Thanks a bunch for that.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah that time right after the holidays is where the studios put films they know suck so bad hiding it from critics and excessive hype won't yield a profitable opening weekend, so they put them there so everyone goes to the theater thinking "Well nothing else is out yet"

So what is the general horror fan consensus on Insidious? Looks good? Looks bad? Do people who saw it at Toronto film festival think its good?

Maybe it was mentioned pages ago but I just found out about it from a commercial last night and looked up that James Wan directed it which interests me a tiny amount.

From what I gather, Insidious is basically a huge tribute to Poltergeist and similar movies. That plus James Wan = color me interested.

lizardman posted:

This was supposed to release next month. What in the gently caress?

It might be studio politics (or actual politics- stranger things have happened) at work, you know. Or it could just be a really lovely movie, I don't know what the gently caress.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
This has been on my radar for a while and it actually looks like it might be pretty good.

Attack The Block

quote:

Set on a council estate in South London on Bonfire night the film follows a gang of youths, Moses (John Boyega), Pest (Alex Esmail), Dennis (Franz Drameh), Jerome (Leeon Jones) and Biggz (Simon Howard). When mugging nurse Sam (Jodie Whittaker), a fiery object falls from the sky, crashing through the roof of a parked car near them. When they investigate they discover a creature who was part of the meteor and kill it. Soon more aliens follow and the gang have to defend themselves from them.

Trailer

Interview with the director

Careful of spoilers but there really isn't much spoiled.

Movie looks like it might be a hell of a lot of fun and so far most reviews have been positive.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 27, 2011

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Anyone heard of these movies before?

The Tribe was filmed in 2006 and completed filming, and was due for a 2007 release. It was also rumoured to be appearing in the 2007 "After Dark Horrorfest".

After filming completed, it is reported that the production company thought the film they made was bad, and not the original vision that was intended. In short: They thought they made a crappy movie.

The writer/director Jorge Ihle, as well as the cast members, were taken from the project after difficulties with schedules, and of course, having to film all over again. A new script was added, the title was changed to "The Lost Tribe", new characters and an entire new cast.

In the UK both versions of the movie have been released, the first version is After Dusk They Come and the second is Primevil.

Having seen both versions I don't really understand what they did. Is After Dusk They Come perfect? No. Could reshoots have helped it? Yes.

The plot (For both movies) involved five friends going out on a boat, the boat crashed and they end up on an island and soon find out they are not alone. Both movies heavily rip off both Predator and The Descent.

To be honest I found After Dusk They Come to be a much better movie, almost everything about it is better, the look of the movie, the direction of the movie, the cast. It kind of feels like it's going for an 80s feel, it would probably have done quite well had it been released in the early 80s, hell, the plot feels like Humongous. I don't want to sound like I'm singing it's praises because it's not a great movie, it's fun while it lasts but ultimately un original and very forgettable. It seems to lack suspense and build up to any of the kills, they just kind of happen. The pacing is a little off as it just kind of drags at parts and lets not forget characters doing stupid things.
But once it gets going it's rarely dull, the last third is well done and the movie has one really creepy shot. I liked Jewel Staite as the final girl but everyone else is given nothing to do. The creatures themselves are nothing original, they look like the Descent Crawlers with more hair, they are blind to boot. I'd give this version a 6.5/10, at least very little CGI was used.

There was one really WTF moment though that really stood out. One girl goes to take a piss, you see her squatting and hear sounds of peeing, then all of a sudden you hear the sounds of farting and making GBS threads, felt very out of place.

After Dusk They come could have been improved with reshoots, judging by Primevil, they would not have done a good job. After Dusk They Come has the feel of an 80s drive in movie, Primevil has the feel of a 2000s direct to video movie. It looks cheaper(Yet at the same time I think more money was thrown at it), the cast is pretty dull (Forgettable final girl) and it features some really laughably bad cgi. The biggest difference in the versions is Primevil decides it needs to go into the creatures back-story and add a stupid and laughable sub plot involving the church. These creatures are proof God doesn't exist so the church orders everyone who knows about them dead, you might think this is important, don't, it goes no where. Primevil ups the gore but it just doesn't work as well as the original version. Characters are given almost no development and have nothing to do, the movie features even less suspense then the other version and the third act is seriously lacking. They replace a really creepy shot with terrible cgi effects. This version felt like it didn't rip off Predator enough as they give the cretures Predator vision and they mimic human voices like the Predator did, even wears a predator style mask. I'd give this version a 5/10

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

I really want to see Insidious. I've learned to be hesitantly hopefully about 99% of horror movies these days, but I really like Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne so I'm at least a bit optimistic :ohdear:

I read the wikipedia summary of Serbian Film because while I have no desire to ever see it (although I was subjected to some gifs on tumblr, ugh) I was curious what happened. What the gently caress? What the gently caress? I understand Serbia has had some pretty hosed up times but ugh. I want to scrub my brain with some steel wool.

Want to see:
Atrocious Another found footage movie. I hated the Paranormal Activity movies, but loved REC and liked REC2 and Last Exorcism, so I'm looking forward to this. The screenshot they use makes it look like they found a cross eyed ghost :v: (I think its just the brother holding his hand over the sisters mouth to keep her quiet)

Stake Land I just finished this epically huge book called The Passage by Justin Cronin, about life in the US after a vampire plague, so I'm looking forward to this. I think it was supposed to be released last fall, but I don't remember. Hurrah for scary gross vampires!

Super 8 Aliens?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

XIII posted:

^I've always felt like the Dyatlov Pass story could be a great source for a horror movie, but it could easily be ruined. They'd probably rewrite it to involve a Yeti.

A gigantic radioactive Yeti would make an awesome SyFy movie of the week. Tiffany and Debbie Gibson could star.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I remember turning to the Syfy channel a while ago, and they had so many Syfy original yeti movies that they were able to make an all day marathon out of them.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Saw Insidious.

Screamed like a little girl about 10 times....I've never screamed from watching a movie before.

7/10.

jazz babies fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 2, 2011

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

jazz babies posted:

Saw Insidious.

Screamed like a little girl about 10 times....I've never screamed from watching a movie before.

7/10.

This. I just saw it as well and although its a poltergeist remake in all but name the film is definitely well crafted. The scene after they moved to the new house and the kid in the hat shows up is a thing of beauty, the camerawork shows everything but only if you're attentive enough, the sense of mounting dread carries through every second, and the payoff is great.
I'll admit some act 3 exposition is delivered a little clumsily but it does add up later

Ending spoilers

This film has one of my personal horror film peeves, namely that it has a happy ending, then spends the last thirty seconds showing us the viewers that the story isn't over and ends on a loud scare chord. To the film's credit it doesn't go against everything else the story told us, doesn't waste time getting to it and it manages to reveal itself right when most people realize what's happening instead of just going HAH THE MONSTER'S NOT DEAD YOU LOSERS SCARE CHORD IN YOUR FACE. However, writing like you know there's going to be a sequel is still lazy writing, and so I still take points off

In short, a good film and I recommend it.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

This. I just saw it as well and although its a poltergeist remake in all but name the film is definitely well crafted. The scene after they moved to the new house and the kid in the hat shows up is a thing of beauty, the camerawork shows everything but only if you're attentive enough, the sense of mounting dread carries through every second, and the payoff is great.
I'll admit some act 3 exposition is delivered a little clumsily but it does add up later

Ending spoilers

This film has one of my personal horror film peeves, namely that it has a happy ending, then spends the last thirty seconds showing us the viewers that the story isn't over and ends on a loud scare chord. To the film's credit it doesn't go against everything else the story told us, doesn't waste time getting to it and it manages to reveal itself right when most people realize what's happening instead of just going HAH THE MONSTER'S NOT DEAD YOU LOSERS SCARE CHORD IN YOUR FACE. However, writing like you know there's going to be a sequel is still lazy writing, and so I still take points off

In short, a good film and I recommend it.

The scene where the guy is pacing by the bedroom window 3 or 4 times, and the next time he walks by HOLY OH MY gently caress HE'S INSIDE I lost my poo poo. Same with his first appearance. Ugh.