Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Intentionally ignoring the garden path is what I would have preferred but ok. QUESTION is that, "forum user [blank]" a SA specific condescending remark? I've seen it used once before (and it was in D&D you LIAR) but I don't know if it was you or not.

I really wish I had the book on hand because the interviewer brings up specifically engineering, whereas him having to do hard labor & construction for many years is what leads me to believe he is focusing more on that than design (the genetic portion being strength). Whereas for some reason we've gone from thinking women are too emotional to design bridges, to being terrible at math, to now "a couple of other things" which you don't have off hand because you didn't read the book to see what that chapter is about.

It's really no use making heads or tails of Carolla-isms from excerpts or loaded interviews, if you don't listen to him going on 20 minute jags every other week on the same topic honestly yes I see where you are all coming from. But I don't expect anyone to do that, so

IN OTHER NEWS WHO IS ON BILL MAHER TONIGHT

VVV yais the original point

Tweak fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I still think Carolla was right to poo poo on Tavis. Just because we're happy with the increasing equality doesn't mean we're going to stop the movement and it doesn't mean we can't say to some nations that you guys need to straighten up and treat women better. What was Tavis' point? That we can't tell others to improve or we can't celebrate because we're not up to his idea of equality or we're not perfect?

I just watched it again. Tavis is saying that degree doesn't matter. Don't pay a woman the same as a man or cut her head off for wronging a man. Both equally bad. Really? How can we have progress if you want to go from A to Z instead of from A to B to C to D, etc... Things don't work that way in reality.

Next week is Richard Belzer (Law & Order)
Michael Oren (Israeli ambassador to the US)
Dan Neil (WSJ columnist)
Anabelle Gurwitch (author)
Erica Williams (Center for America Progress)

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 18, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Oh god it's the Richard Belzer and Bill Maher uninformed conspiracy hour.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Wow Belzer is unbelievably obnoxious. Can he shutup for more than 5 seconds?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

bobby2times posted:

Wow Belzer is unbelievably obnoxious. Can he shutup for more than 5 seconds?

Why bother listening to other people when you're already 1000% sure of your own opinion?

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
This entire show has been nonstop obnoxious and the two people who actually Know A Thing have been totally shut out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

cheap sunglasses posted:

This entire show has been nonstop obnoxious and the two people who actually Know A Thing have been totally shut out.

I'm watching on a time delay but gently caress this Israeli ambassador dickbag.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

IRQ posted:

I'm watching on a time delay but gently caress this Israeli ambassador dickbag.

Fair warning it's all downhill from there.

"Petawatt?! Whoa there professor easy with the metric, this is America!" "What's that, energy provided by a child?"

This is what you have to look forward to.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting (perhaps due to lowered expectations) but Belzer did Rob Williams himself a bunch of times. Bill was doing piss poor moderation, if Dan and Belzer's speaking times had been reversed it would have the makings of a great episode. The panel crusher wasn't as obtrusive as usual either which helps

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The panel's reaction to the Danny Glover joke was absurdly stupid

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
Man even this liberal circle jerk episode pissed me the hell off. I like my liberals to be well informed and open to new ideas rather than the chicken-littling bullshit that was on display here. The energy author guy tried to reign in some of the nuclear hysteria, but wow that was just painful to watch as a scientist.

Also the 4th panel member lady was so loving corny with her played out jokes. You mean married people are really the unhappy ones? PLEASE, TELL ME MORE.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

RevBabyKiller posted:

but Belzer did Rob Williams himself

Nothing will EVER be as bad as when Robin Williams was a panelist on this show. I still try not to think about it. I would rather have Stephen Moore as a panelist on every episode from now on, forever, than have Robin Williams on this show again.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 19, 2011

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Oops, double post

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Riptor posted:

The panel's reaction to the Danny Glover joke was absurdly stupid

That was pretty embarrassing. It wasn't side splittingly hilarious or anything, but how did every one of them miss the reference?

Anyway, I thought the episode itself was probably the worst I've seen this season. Belzer didn't quite dominate the panel as much as I expected him to, but God drat he sure got his terrible opinions out. Radiating the water THOUSANDS OF PERCENT and so on. I can't imagine how the energy guy felt while listening to some of that. I didn't think the entire thing was like offensively bad or anything (although the Israeli ambassador was pretty terrible), it was just boring as hell. The woman who came on near the end with the really tired marriage stuff (If republicans really hated gays they'd let them get married!!!!!) was so dull that I ended up just shutting it off.

I would like to see the energy guy back on another panel where he could get more than a word in edgewise and spend time playing a role other than teacher though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What happened when Robin Williams was on the show?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

AltronHGX posted:

What happened when Robin Williams was on the show?

Basically, he wouldn't stop being Robin Williams. Acting wacky and coked out and making nonsense silly voices, often interrupting everyone to do it. Bill Maher couldn't even get through his New Rules because every time he said a sentence, Robin Williams would react with some random stupid voice/remark. How Bill didn't strangle him on the air is beyond me, but notice he hasn't been back since.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I just seem to remember Robin Williams not letting anyone get a word in, and constantly doing his Genie-Aladdin schtick of impressions.

I've seen Belzer before when he was actually interesting to listen to, but he also let other people speak when he was on before and was laid back. He seemed edgy and weird, like when he kept moving around, stretching his arms around the back of the other guests chairs.

And yes, the woman who was a guest near the end was terrible. That was the worst argument against marriage I have ever heard.

I'm still pissed after that stupid rant Maher went on last week about muslims being more violent than other religions. I'm about to give up on him, even after watching him since Politically Incorrect was on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Coal isn't radioactive! :downs:

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
I've given up this season, the show is horrible. Bill's writing and jokes are so poo poo even his audience calls him out on it, prompting him to get annoyed that they didn't 'get' the joke or are too PC. His interviews are boring and filled with awkwardness, and he needs to stop laying his creepy hands on the guests every 5 seconds, it clearly makes people uncomfortable sometimes. Most of the panels this season have been soooooooooo boring and by-the-numbers I cant take it anymore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wooooow. 10 minutes in and this idiot first guest has proven himself to be a huge loving idiot. "lol Libya war is being led by the Mounties," "step foot," "cruise missile liberals."

How bad will this week get?

e: oh boy, now Bill and the panel are talking about how Obama masterminded the whole Libya thing. It was France and the UK you goddamn retards.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 26, 2011

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I'm trying to understand the motivation in booking some of these guests. Seems like Bill invites a lot of people on that he would rather hang out with after the show. I think he's worried the show can become too serious and turn people off, so he makes the fourth panelist some famous author or comedian or actor that has nothing to do with politics or current events. Why use Ellen Page? Yeah she narrated a documentary about bees two years ago but she's hardly the best spokesperson for colony collapse disorder.

IRQ posted:

Wooooow. 10 minutes in and this idiot first guest has proven himself to be a huge loving idiot. "lol Libya war is being led by the Mounties," "step foot," "cruise missile liberals."

Jeremy Scahill has always been a jackass. He always name-drops random people he met once (like his "special forces buddy") to sound invested in the story and then knee-jerk criticizes every move the US makes. He loves to be a contrarian. Last year he was up in arms that Obama hadn't pulled out all troops in Afghanistan immediately, so someone asked him "won't that lead to chaos and a return of the Taliban? What can we do as an alternative?" He sat there stone faced and wouldn't answer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Former Human posted:

Jeremy Scahill has always been a jackass. He always name-drops random people he met once (like his "special forces buddy") to sound invested in the story and then knee-jerk criticizes every move the US makes. He loves to be a contrarian. Last year he was up in arms that Obama hadn't pulled out all troops in Afghanistan immediately, so someone asked him "won't that lead to chaos and a return of the Taliban? What can we do as an alternative?" He sat there stone faced and wouldn't answer.

See, he's such a jackass that even though I agree that we should pull out of Afghanistan and Iraq immediately, full stop, 100%, tomorrow, he's an idiot.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
His final new rule, Karab Amabo , was pretty funny.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Ellen Page was pretty informative actually. Everything seemed awkward this week though. Things didn't really flow that well.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
Moderate amusement had by all. Nothing too irritating but also nothing too compelling. The "I'll wait..." part where he thinks his jokes aren't getting the laughs they deserve was probably the low point

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

:stare:

Holy poo poo this interview is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I was kind of hoping Bernie Sanders would manage to compress another 8.5 hour speech into the hour somehow.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo this interview is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen.

"Ok I get that they're not allowed to go to school but that's not in America so who cares"
- Bill Maher 2011

I laughed pretty hard at the Republican dude harping on the DC school district issue (which, by the way, is more bullshit "privatize everything" legislation in place of real systemic fixes) as proof that the Republicans really do care! The director at the end was pretty bad as well, just for being relatively incoherent and boring.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I like Julian Schnabel's films but Bill really needs to drop the fourth guest altogether. All it does is slow down the show and cut out a ton of time from the panel discussion.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

endolithic posted:

I was kind of hoping Bernie Sanders would manage to compress another 8.5 hour speech into the hour somehow.

Bernie's hair sums up how most people feel about politics right now.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Former Human posted:

I like Julian Schnabel's films but Bill really needs to drop the fourth guest altogether. All it does is slow down the show and cut out a ton of time from the panel discussion.

Doesn't help when Julian Schnabel's brains fall out of his head and he totally locks up.

Still not as weird as that hostile interview with the Kennedy. God drat that was JUST WEIRD. It was like both parties didn't want to do the interview. What was the point of having him on?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't get the sense of weirdness. He wanted to talk about mentally disabled people and promote his cause, which he did, and Bill agreed. I love that little compassionate speech that Shriver did in overtime and Bill made a great joke out of it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ApexAftermath posted:

Doesn't help when Julian Schnabel's brains fall out of his head and he totally locks up.

Still not as weird as that hostile interview with the Kennedy. God drat that was JUST WEIRD. It was like both parties didn't want to do the interview. What was the point of having him on?

The Kennedy/Shriver was actually on Colbert like 2 days ago, a much better interview if you wanted to watch it.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Dudebro posted:

I didn't get the sense of weirdness. He wanted to talk about mentally disabled people and promote his cause, which he did, and Bill agreed. I love that little compassionate speech that Shriver did in overtime and Bill made a great joke out of it.

I didn't see overtime yet. I got the sense at the interview at the start that Shriver was kind of annoyed with what Bill was saying and kind of acted like he thought Bill was inmature, and Bill was kind of reacting to him acting that way and saying more cringe inducing things like the whole discussion on the word retard. Why bring up all that stuff if you knew he protested it unless it was to throw it in his face how big of a prude he is. It was just really uncomfortable to watch because of this.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Former Human posted:

I thought the format was better last year when he brought more political people like Taibbi and that batshit conservative black chick on as the fourth guest, but the people last year have been horrible. I was really liking the panel this week (especially Bernie) and that boring director guy brought all the momentum to a halt.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I can't believe the director said "Does anyone actually care about that?" when they were talking about Iowa or something (Idaho?). gently caress off. As if that's less important than the piece of art you made.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 21, 2012

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
The Schriver interview was awful.

Either Bill did not understand the purpose of him being on the show (To promote his cause) or Bill does not believe in the cause.

Bill blew it on that one. Very poorly done.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

The Schriver interview was awful.

Either Bill did not understand the purpose of him being on the show (To promote his cause) or Bill does not believe in the cause.

Bill blew it on that one. Very poorly done.

That guy seemed standoffish from the moment he sat down. I think Bill was just reacting to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

In case anyone is wondering it is actually completely bullshit that having your cell phone or whatever on will gently caress with a plane's systems.

e: man it's really weird to see two brits going back and forth on how to fix the US's financial situation.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 9, 2011