Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Big Mac posted:

So today I was at a loss for where I could have left my phone (an Android smartphone). I had been running some errands for most of the day, so I could have lost it anywhere, and didn't really have time to drive back to all those places and look for it (plus, it could've been lifted by someone else).
So I searched frantically on the internet for a way to locate it, and was amazed that 1: there is a version of the android market for browsing from a PC, and
2: you can install apps remotely to your phone.

Wow, the last time I looked at the marketplace on the PC (Nearly 2 years ago)it was a useless thing that showed 4-5 popular apps and that was it. I press a button and my phone gets software? Wizardry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

Wow, the last time I looked at the marketplace on the PC (Nearly 2 years ago)it was a useless thing that showed 4-5 popular apps and that was it. I press a button and my phone gets software? Wizardry!

For real, I was looking at it a couple of weeks ago, and it was nowhere near as useful. It's awesome.
If I could uninstall apps with it, that would be tits. Uninstalling things with the phone itself is a bit slow and lame.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Wow - thanks for posting this. I did not know about the remote install, and I tend to lose my phone (usually in my own apartment though). This is great.

Gimik
Sep 3, 2008

Big Mac posted:

So today I was at a loss for where I could have left my phone (an Android smartphone). I had been running some errands for most of the day, so I could have lost it anywhere, and didn't really have time to drive back to all those places and look for it (plus, it could've been lifted by someone else).
So I searched frantically on the internet for a way to locate it, and was amazed that 1: there is a version of the android market for browsing from a PC, and
2: you can install apps remotely to your phone.

I installed one called Plan B, and then sent it a text (saying "locate") from an online texting service. The app found my gmail address and immediately sent me an email with its location on google maps. Boom. In my car. It's the future.

I'm so pleased with the app that I'm probably gonna spring for the year of remote privacy service, including remote lockout and wipe, as well as backup services.

God I love Android.

yes, the PC android market is pretty new (well, updated).

In case you don't know, the Amazon Appstore just opened today and they're giving away angry birds Rio for free. It's one of the best games of all time really. Hours and hours of distraction for free. Plus the kids love it (if you have them). Only good for today though (march 22nd) and they only service the US i believe.

link for easy nabbin' http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

Oh, and you can't use it from ATT phones (ATT locks their loader so you can't sideload apps)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I ordered a latex pillow off amazon thanks to this thread

My recommendation? Bungie chairs!

They force you into good posture. They're really comfy. But best of all is that you don't get butt funk from those intense WOW raids. You have a nice draft on your bum. I just got mine today but I already love it. The only thing I don't like is that the arm rests aren't adjustable. There's all kinds of colors and options in terms of low back and arm rests or not.

This is the one I got

http://www.amazon.com/ITALMODERN-Bungie-Office-Bungies-Aluminum/dp/B001OW7JY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1300852027&sr=8-1

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on school backpacks/messenger bags? Probably looking to carry around my iPad, wireless keyboard, books, and notepads.

They're a bitvery spendy, but Briggs & Riley make some pretty awesome messenger laptop bags (the 17-inch is the one linked below). It's a lot of money, but you just can't beat their lifetime warranty:

Briggs & Riley posted:

If your Briggs & Riley bag is ever broken or damaged, even if it was caused by an airline, we will repair it free of charge. Simple as that!

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Verb-Expandable-Messenger/dp/B004A91G0K

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Any recommendations for a shoulder bag for a 14" laptop? I'm looking for something around $30-40 and in a messenger bag kind of style.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.
Does anyone have any experience with any of those fancy light-up alarm clocks or the Zeo sleep coach kit thing? My life is seriously plagued by the fact that I am such a heavy sleeper, and have the hardest time waking up in the mornings. I already have the sonic boom bed shaking alarm, in addition to 2 other alarms various distances away from my bed, and still can't make it to work anywhere close to on time :(

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I need some good work shoes/boots. I've gotten a job unloading trucks and my old sneakers just aren't up to the task of not making walking a painful experience halfway through the workday.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I need some good work shoes/boots. I've gotten a job unloading trucks and my old sneakers just aren't up to the task of not making walking a painful experience halfway through the workday.

Wolverine is a pretty reliable brand and they're quite comfortable. They have lace-ups and Wellingtons. On the recommendation of a co-worker, I'm going to try a pair of Twisted X boots. My personal opinion is that Red Wings et. al. are a bit of overkill in an environment that requires work boots. Are they nice? Yes. Are they expensive? Yes. Do they last longer than other brands? Not really, unless you compare them to cheap, Walmart crap.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Mushinronsha posted:

Does anyone have any experience with any of those fancy light-up alarm clocks or the Zeo sleep coach kit thing? My life is seriously plagued by the fact that I am such a heavy sleeper, and have the hardest time waking up in the mornings. I already have the sonic boom bed shaking alarm, in addition to 2 other alarms various distances away from my bed, and still can't make it to work anywhere close to on time :(
I used outdoor Christmas lighting clearance stuff from Target to solve this for me after I blacked out my bedroom and started not waking up at a reasonable time because it was pitch black all the time, even with an alarm. I put two 4 foot by 4 foot 90 LED nets on the wall and plugged them into a foot switch and a programmable timer. The timer is set to turn on at my wake up time and turn off two hours later M-F. The foot switch lets me turn off the light when I get up and I just press it again before I go to bed. I still use an alarm clock so it wakes me up enough to let the light wake up my brain but often the light coming on will wake me up. The light is super bright so if I am rolled over on my side facing it, it pretty much guarantees I will wake up when it turns on.

The programmable timer is nice because I have a weekend schedule set up too, so I do not sleep in too late. If I want to sleep in, I can just choose not to switch the foot switch back on for the next morning.

Spending approximately $12 on stuff, opposed to $60-$80 for one of those light alarms that seem to have issues with bulbs(reading Amazon reviews) was a no brainer for me.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Man I just got back from the gym and I have to post about the new Marware iPhone 4 case I got. First off all it's awesome because it's an actual case that can convert between a regular case and an armband case without needing to remove the phone from the case.

Secondly, when you do have it in armband mode it doesn't flop around at all like you might think a huge honking phone would. I could barely tell it was on my arm. Paired with my Sennheiser sport headphones (which I already posted about a while ago) it really is the perfect workout setup.

Thirdly, I am using it with a Verizon iPhone and it only took about a minute of filing to make the case work. I could have left it as is but the mute button was pretty hard to move. I took a sliver of plastic off and the whole button was exposed. I still find it hilarious that that's all Apple would do to make a market for Verizon vs AT&T cases. Probably because the phone is "too beautiful" to have any major modification.

And lastly, you have two choice of backs for the case. You can either have the plain back or one with a belt clip (clip back required for armband use). The clip also functions as either a vertical or horizontal stand. The clip/stand function is also really nice for when you're using an Arc Trainer or exercise bike and want to watch videos.

I opted to just have the clip back on all the time because I am an EMT and it's more convenient. For funsies I clipped the phone onto my steering wheel and it stays. You could probably also pair it with one of those sticky dashboard mounts and watch movies whilst driving if you're crazy.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I have Shoes for Crews which I really like. You can get a lot of different styles and they have non slip bottoms which are nice for certain environments.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

Christoff posted:

They force you into good posture. They're really comfy. But best of all is that you don't get butt funk from those intense WOW raids. You have a nice draft on your bum. I just got mine today but I already love it. The only thing I don't like is that the arm rests aren't adjustable. There's all kinds of colors and options in terms of low back and arm rests or not.

This is the one I got

http://www.amazon.com/ITALMODERN-Bungie-Office-Bungies-Aluminum/dp/B001OW7JY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1300852027&sr=8-1

I got one last October and I don't use it any more. I tend to sit with my legs crossed and the bungie cord rubbed a blister into the side of my foot.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Christoff posted:

This is the one I got

I have this EXACT chair and I love it like no other chair I've had before. :h:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Redwings.

I've been wearing the same pair every single day 2 thirds of every year since I was 14 (I am 22 now) for 8 hours a day, and they're still going strong.
Admittedly, the bottoms are completely smooth now, but I think some leeway needs to be given considering the 8 years of service.

gently caress all other boots. Get Redwings.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I love this thread so damned much.

I just want to recommend this hand lotion for those who have super-dry skin and work in a place where constant hand-washing makes the dryness worse:

Hemp Hand Protector by the Body Shop. It holds up pretty nicely even after you've washed your hands. Even better than the Neutrogena Swiss Formula that was recommended earlier (but to Neutrogena's credit- that formula's still quite nice. Just not as good as this Body Shop stuff.=).

Request- we're looking for a 3-in-1 black and white laser printer for basic printing and scanning needs. Any suggestions?

melon cat has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Mar 28, 2011

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

melon cat posted:

I love this thread so damned much.

I just want to recommend this hand lotion for those who have super-dry skin and work in a place where constant hand-washing makes the dryness worse:

Hemp Hand Protector by the Body Shop. It holds up pretty nicely even after you've washed your hands. Even better than the Neutrogena Swiss Formula that was recommended earlier (but to Neutrogena's credit- that formula's still quite nice. Just not as good as this Body Shop stuff.=).

My wife tried this because she has very dry hands and it's really not that good, very expensive, and it smells so-so.

This is better and cheaper (l'occitane 20% shea butter hand cream)

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I need black women's shoes/sneakers that I can stand in for 10+ hours a day with minimal aching in knees/calves/heels. Any recommendations?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

An observer posted:

I need black women's shoes/sneakers that I can stand in for 10+ hours a day with minimal aching in knees/calves/heels. Any recommendations?

Dansko

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

An observer posted:

Merrell.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

An observer posted:

I teach and am on my feet from 7am to 4pm and I swear by Ecco. I can even be in their heels for a full day without aching. Dansko is also good, but the heels come off at lunch.

Corsair Jr
Sep 10, 2009
Not a particular brand/model, but I got a washable cloth shower curtain (the inner curtain) at Target like a year ago and its awesome. I think every shower I had ever used up until then had a vinyl one, but the bottom corners of the vinyl ones get nasty and moldy in 3-4 months for me. The washable one can get a little mold/mildew on it after a couple of months, but I just toss it in the washer & dryer and it comes out like new. I think it was like $7-8 instead of $2-4 or whatever the vinyl ones cost.

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon

Corsair Jr posted:

Not a particular brand/model, but I got a washable cloth shower curtain (the inner curtain) at Target like a year ago and its awesome. I think every shower I had ever used up until then had a vinyl one, but the bottom corners of the vinyl ones get nasty and moldy in 3-4 months for me. The washable one can get a little mold/mildew on it after a couple of months, but I just toss it in the washer & dryer and it comes out like new. I think it was like $7-8 instead of $2-4 or whatever the vinyl ones cost.

I completely second this. If the liner gets funky, I throw it in the wash with a bit of bleach and wash with the hot setting and it really does come out looking like new.

Also not a particular brand recommendation, but in terms of dishwashing, we use cotton dishcloths that have a bit of netting on one side. They're about 10"x10". They don't have any plastic or abrasives in them, so they're good for scrubbing fine surfaces, but the netting catches lots of junk too. You can buy a pack of 10 for 5 bucks at Target. We use one every few days, and then throw it into the rag pile, and when the pile is big enough, we do a load of wash. I find it is less smelly than sponges, and cleans just as well.

We also use microfiber towels for drying poo poo in the kitchen and they're awesome. They're usually very expensive when sold individually, but if you go the auto section of your store, identical towels are often sold in batches of 5-10 for a fraction of the price. All of our kitchen towels are orange, but they do a great job and were hella cheap.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

JimBobDole posted:

I teach and am on my feet from 7am to 4pm and I swear by Ecco. I can even be in their heels for a full day without aching. Dansko is also good, but the heels come off at lunch.

Okay, I meant this specific clog line.

http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Styles/Clogs/

They were designed for people who stand on their feet all day. Lots of doctors wear them. :)

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I'm looking for silk screening supplies im sure some of you craftier goons have recommendations

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I want the following, preferably as cheap and combined as possible.

I have a keurig coffee maker, and it's fine. But it really limits me on the kinds of coffee I can get, and I'm starting to really enjoy nicer coffees than the keurig brand french vanilla. What's the best kind of coffee maker for good coffee that doesn't take too long? French press or drip? What's a good tasting brand of coffee that I can buy in bulk? Can any of these also make hot water for tea? Also, any suggestions for a good coffee mug I can take with me?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Spatule posted:

My wife tried this because she has very dry hands and it's really not that good, very expensive, and it smells so-so.

This is better and cheaper (l'occitane 20% shea butter hand cream)

I agree. This stuff is really, really good.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.

Econosaurus posted:

I have a keurig coffee maker, and it's fine. But it really limits me on the kinds of coffee I can get, and I'm starting to really enjoy nicer coffees than the keurig brand french vanilla. What's the best kind of coffee maker for good coffee that doesn't take too long? French press or drip? What's a good tasting brand of coffee that I can buy in bulk? Can any of these also make hot water for tea? Also, any suggestions for a good coffee mug I can take with me?

Best coffee maker, Bodum Vacuum pothttp://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Santos-Stovetop-Vacuum-34-Ounce/dp/B00005NCX5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302057036&sr=8-2

Best coffee- ymmv.

Best coffee mug, Contigohttp://www.amazon.com/Contigo-AUTOSEAL-Stainless-Insulated-Tumbler/dp/B002PIBGOY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1302056903&sr=8-5.

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4

Econosaurus posted:

My favorite is a french press.  Its easy and the coffee is good, plus its a quick clean up (just toss everything in the dishwasher after rinsing the grounds off).
I've got this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00005LM0R
I also make tea with my French press, it hasn't given me any problems.

I've got a mug like this ... its pretty easy to clean, and keeps things hot.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B002PIBGOY
I don't think you can go wrong with most mugs though, just browse Amazon and find one you like with a lid mechanism that works for you

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You're kidding, right?

AeroPress. Dirt cheap, super simple, just needs quick rinsing, and according to every coffee aficionado ever, makes coffee a million billion times better than the world's most expensive machines.

AeroPress.

Everything else is garbage.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Tony Danza Claus posted:

You're kidding, right?

AeroPress. Dirt cheap, super simple, just needs quick rinsing, and according to every coffee aficionado ever, makes coffee a million billion times better than the world's most expensive machines.

AeroPress.

Everything else is garbage.

That looks pretty cool, but the difference between a french press and a machine-made cup is night and day to me. Once you get pressed you never go back.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The aeropress is a french press.

e: VV Okay settle down, champ.

Hypnolobster has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Apr 7, 2011

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Red Baron posted:

That looks pretty cool, but the difference between a french press and a machine-made cup is night and day to me. Once you get pressed you never go back.

Click the "?" by my non-avatar. See my praise. See all praise. A French press is nothing compared to the AeroPress. It is garbage. And machines? Feh!

There's a reason the AeroPress is the most highly recommended product in this and the "what did you just buy" thread.

AeroPress is GOD!

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
This "caramel kiss" coffee. I don't even think it tastes like caramel, more like chocolate, but it's still amazing.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Click the "?" by my non-avatar. See my praise. See all praise. A French press is nothing compared to the AeroPress. It is garbage. And machines? Feh!

There's a reason the AeroPress is the most highly recommended product in this and the "what did you just buy" thread.

AeroPress is GOD!

So I've read a lot about the AeroPress...and also, what's the difference between pressing it, and pressing it upside down that I've been reading about? How does that make it a super better cup vs the regular way?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tony Danza Claus posted:

AeroPress is GOD!

They all have their merits. I have 7 different coffee makers they all have their benefits and they all make different coffee. I still use my french press more than I use my aeropress though, I prefer french pressed coffee for my day to day coffee and a lot of people who've only had drip coffee might find french press coffee an easier transition.

A grinder is more important than how you're brewing the coffee. Even grind is key in any good coffee.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DragonWC99 posted:

So I've read a lot about the AeroPress...and also, what's the difference between pressing it, and pressing it upside down that I've been reading about? How does that make it a super better cup vs the regular way?

Upside down makes a mess.

And the hypothesis is that because you're not pushing water through the grounds, it reduces the bitterness even more. Which is true, but it's because you're just making incredibly weak coffee (like steeping a tea bag for a few seconds). And I do mean incredibly weak. The fix to that weakness is letting the coffee sit longer, but then you negate the point of the AeroPress and now it's bitter again.

Use it EXACTLY how the instructions tell you to. 185 degrees (F), 1 scoop equals 2 on the water chamber, stir, place plunger, wait 15-20 seconds, push down, voila, best coffee ever.

And one last bit of testimony: I've given away all of my other coffee machines/presses. They're crap. Friends who do like coffee (much) beg me to make them a cup (and it's always storebrand French vanilla, so they'll come around to the heavy poo poo eventually). And lastly, the same coffee from the very same bag that I ran through my French press always needed milk and sugar, whereas AeroPress is so amazing I drink it black.

And no, I don't work for the company. I'm just exceptionally passionate about the last drug I'm allowed to use.

(I miss cocaine)

(c'est la vie)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
edit: redacted due to answering an old question

If you're looking for a pocketknife I'd suggest the Benchmade 940. Looks great, opens smoothly, great lock, solid steel. Overall an amazing knife that is well constructed.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Apr 8, 2011

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I'm going to throw a vote out for Lenovo Thinkpads. I've been using laptops for 18 years now, I generally work on one all day, and when work said "choose a laptop, any laptop", I went for a well loaded W510. It is, hands down, the best laptop I've ever used - easily better than my Macbook Pro. The build quality is stellar, the built in software is actually useful and not annoying; the keyboard almost rivals my mechanical keyboard on my home PC. It's very apparent (again like the MB Pro) that this is a machine that's the product of many years of evolution. Maybe I'm gushing a little, but I figure finding an awesome product after 18 years of looking is worth something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

One Swell Foop posted:

I'm going to throw a vote out for Lenovo Thinkpads. I've been using laptops for 18 years now, I generally work on one all day, and when work said "choose a laptop, any laptop", I went for a well loaded W510. It is, hands down, the best laptop I've ever used - easily better than my Macbook Pro. The build quality is stellar, the built in software is actually useful and not annoying; the keyboard almost rivals my mechanical keyboard on my home PC. It's very apparent (again like the MB Pro) that this is a machine that's the product of many years of evolution. Maybe I'm gushing a little, but I figure finding an awesome product after 18 years of looking is worth something.

I can second that. My girlfriend recently got one of their lower-end laptops (ideapad 450) and it's bitchin. My last laptop, a thinkpad 600 kept on chugging for 10+ years.

• Locked thread