Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
This may be old news to some, but I didn't know about it until I read an article on jobs that can be done by robots. Apparently, sports writing is one of them! For instance, the Big Ten Network uses a company called Narrative Science Inc. for it's baseball and softball coverage, since it's cheaper than having beat reporters at every game. You just input the box score, and it spits out stuff like this: http://www.bigtennetwork.com/dpp/schools/purdue/tennessee-tech-defeats-purdue%2C-8-3

quote:

A good effort by Tyler Spillner wasn't enough to guide Purdue past Tennessee Tech. The Golden Eagles captured an 8-3 win at Bush Stadium on Saturday.

Spillner did his best to start rallies for the Boilermakers, reaching base three times. He scored two runs and had one RBI.

Matthew Shepherd picked up the win after willing the Golden Eagles to a victory from the mound. He allowed one earned run, five hits and one walk while striking out five.

Austin Wulf, Zephan Guyear and Chad Oberacker helped lead Tennessee Tech. They combined for six hits and four RBIs.

Nick Wittgren took the loss for Purdue. He allowed six runs in 5 1/3 innings, walked none and struck out five.

Golden Eagles closer Cullen Park got the final six outs to pick up the save.

The Boilermakers jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first.

Purdue scored one run in the third inning and then followed it up with one more in the sixth. In the third, the Boilermakers scored on a sacrifice fly by Eric Charles, scoring Stephen Talbott.

The Golden Eagles rallied to tie the game in the fourth when Casanova Donaldson singled, plating Oberacker.

Tennessee Tech never trailed after scoring two runs in the fifth on a two-run single by Oberacker.

The Golden Eagles built upon their lead with two runs in the eighth. Wulf started the inning with a double, bringing home Chad Hayes. That was followed by Guyear's single, scoring Wulf.

I'm not sure I'd feel I got my money's worth from my computer sportswriter, but then, I don't know how much it costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That reads like the "game stories" in baseball mogul

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zakharov posted:

That reads like the "game stories" in baseball mogul

It probably uses the same software.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

In which Murray Chass uses gossip to paint Stan Musial as a racist:

Go gently caress yourself, Murray Chass.

(better discussion here (http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/murray_chass_on_baseball_musial_no_man_of_honor_mr._president/P100/); apparently this is old news and was already addressed. Chass is either late to the party or is cherry picking accounts in order to be a dick.)

edit: credit to vivaelbirdos; not like I read Murray Chass' blog on a regular basis

FairGame fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 25, 2011

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

FairGame posted:

In which Murray Chass uses gossip to paint Stan Musial as a racist:

Go gently caress yourself, Murray Chass.

(better discussion here (http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/murray_chass_on_baseball_musial_no_man_of_honor_mr._president/P100/); apparently this is old news and was already addressed. Chass is either late to the party or is cherry picking accounts in order to be a dick.)

I am really enjoying some of the comments on this page in which people attempt to come up with new Murray Chass blog headlines:

SANDY KOUFAX- YOU COULD HAVE PITCHED ON YOM KIPPUR IF YOU HADN'T SINNED SO MUCH
MARGE SCHOTT WAS GOOD IN THE BEGINNING, BUT SHE DID NOT GO FAR ENOUGH
KIRK GIBSON- THE SLOWEST HOME RUN TROT I'VE EVER SEEN

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

OrangeKing posted:

This may be old news to some, but I didn't know about it until I read an article on jobs that can be done by robots. Apparently, sports writing is one of them! For instance, the Big Ten Network uses a company called Narrative Science Inc. for it's baseball and softball coverage, since it's cheaper than having beat reporters at every game. You just input the box score, and it spits out stuff like this: http://www.bigtennetwork.com/dpp/schools/purdue/tennessee-tech-defeats-purdue%2C-8-3

I'm not sure I'd feel I got my money's worth from my computer sportswriter, but then, I don't know how much it costs.

I can see how they might want to use that for low priority games because even paying someone say 3 hours to watch a game, and then say 30-60 minutes to write and edit a short column like that is going to cost at least $250. Multiply that by the hundreds of games like that and it makes sense. That computer summary is totally worthless though, it's just a straight up reading of the box score, for obvious reasons.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

chutwig posted:

I am really enjoying some of the comments on this page in which people attempt to come up with new Murray Chass blog headlines:

This is great

Chass- HIDEKI MATSUI'S NICKNAME DESTROYS CITIES, KILLS THOUSANDS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Meltathon posted:

I can see how they might want to use that for low priority games because even paying someone say 3 hours to watch a game, and then say 30-60 minutes to write and edit a short column like that is going to cost at least $250. Multiply that by the hundreds of games like that and it makes sense. That computer summary is totally worthless though, it's just a straight up reading of the box score, for obvious reasons.

wait really, I got paid about a hundred bucks a go to write as a stringer for a Serious Business newspaper.

there aren't that many additional costs associated with the process.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

The broken bones posted:

This is great

Chass- HIDEKI MATSUI'S NICKNAME DESTROYS CITIES, KILLS THOUSANDS

Fantastic.

Chass: KEELER HIT IT WHERE THEY WERE

Chass: REMEMBER WHEN MARVIN MILLER TOLD ME TOM VERDUCCI DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIM FOR THE HALL OF FAME, SO I PUBLISHED THAT WITHOUT ASKING VERDUCCI, ONLY IT TURNED OUT THAT VERDUCCI DID VOTE FOR MILLER FOR THE HALL OF FAME? I DON'T

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 25, 2011

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait really, I got paid about a hundred bucks a go to write as a stringer for a Serious Business newspaper.

there aren't that many additional costs associated with the process.

Well, I was just guessing. I figured 4 hours of work for a reporter to get to and watch the game, then the small amount of time to publish it on the web would run about $250. Even still, if it costs $100 a game, I can't see how using a computer generated story wouldn't save tens of thousands of dollars over the long run.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Meltathon posted:

Well, I was just guessing. I figured 4 hours of work for a reporter to get to and watch the game, then the small amount of time to publish it on the web would run about $250. Even still, if it costs $100 a game, I can't see how using a computer generated story wouldn't save tens of thousands of dollars over the long run.

Part of the appeal might be for sites that just want content quickly. You can throw up the computer-generated jargon immediately as a placeholder while waiting for the AP to send a complete game story over the wire or for your stringer to file his work.

That's probably a little bit of a stretch, though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Posnanski on Chass. It's not the best thing to come out of Joe's blog, but it's always nice when he actually gets pissed at someone since it seems incredibly rare. The last line seems to fit the majority of things we talk about in this thread.

Pos posted:

And it's a shame that tragically unhappy people don't know when they've run out of useful words.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

chutwig posted:

These are excellent. Dying at the Marge Schott one.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Rick Reilly's most recent written diarrhea is basically a hit piece on Jimmer Fredette for absolutely no reason other than that there's a chance his game doesn't translate to the NBA. It's like he tried this on Bleacher Report under an assumed name before bringing it to ESPN.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Reilly used to write funny, interesting, and sometimes poignant columns. I don't know why he lost his mind after moving to ESPN.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Rick Reilly's most recent written diarrhea is basically a hit piece on Jimmer Fredette for absolutely no reason other than that there's a chance his game doesn't translate to the NBA. It's like he tried this on Bleacher Report under an assumed name before bringing it to ESPN.

quote:

NEW ORLEANS -- So that's the end of Jimmermania. Saw it for myself. Caught the closing act. Not impressed.

Thanks to one of the worst performances of Jimmer Fredette's frabulous career -- and a set of teammates who looked like pizza delivery guys -- the BYU star took a hard fall in the Big Easy. BYU was bumped out of the Sweet Sixteen on Thursday, losing to Florida in a lopsided overtime, 83-74.

You can take off those "Romney-Fredette in 2012" T-shirts now.

Except for a stretch in the middle, when he was brilliant, Fredette was brutal.

Yes, he scored 32 points, but he took 29 shots to do it. He seemed to be wearing a blindfold from the 3-point arc -- 3-for-15. Plus, he committed six turnovers and wandered aimlessly through the lane on defense like Moses in the desert. I've seen dead people play better defense. At least they occasionally trip people.

If his last college game is what he's bringing to the NBA, then I'd say, in five years, he's got a really good chance to be your Provo area Isuzu dealer.

Great kid, though. Polite, smart (good chess player, whiz at Sudoku), studies his Bible in hotel rooms. Maybe that was the problem. Fredette and the largely Mormon BYU Nation should've never been made to come to New Orleans. You can sin just by osmosis here.

You should have seen some of them on Bourbon Street, the freshly scrubbed Cougars fans, horrified to find themselves among the window strippers, the hurricane chuggers and the bead catchers.

Then again, some of the comparisons BYU fans were making about The Jimmer this week made you think they deserved it.

"He's a little Maravich," a guy in a BYU shirt told me.

No! No, he isn't! He's not within a mile of Mardi Gras floats of Maravich. Maravich could get his shot off from the bottom of a swimming pool. He could get 40 in handcuffs. He averaged 44 points a game in college (to Fredette's 28 this season) and that's without the 3-point shot. With it, studies of his game film have shown, he would have averaged over 55.

"He's better than Danny Ainge was," a lady in a Cougars sweatshirt told me.

No! No, he isn't! Ainge was Danny Clutch (remember his Sweet 16 drive in 1981) Fredette didn't have a single game-winning shot all year. Against Florida, he didn't score a single point in the game's final eight minutes, or, for that matter, the first 13.

"I know from just watching him he's going to be a great NBA player," Thunder guard Russell Westbrook said.

No! No, he isn't!

Don't get me wrong. The Jimmer will make a modest living in the NBA. When he gets hot, he can drain them from the hotel coffee shop. He splits the double team as well as anybody in the league right now and he has a whole Santa bag of off-balance scoop shots with either hand. But until he shows more interest in defense than a blind man has in rainbows, he's going to spend most of his NBA life sitting on padded folding chairs.

To his credit, he'll have more help in the NBA than he had this season at BYU. His best rebounder, Brandon Davies, was thrown off the team for violating BYU's no-booze, no-sex, no-caffeine honor code, which meant it was pretty much Jimmer or nothing against the tall trees of Florida. He never came out once in the first 44 minutes and had to fire up shots through the tiniest cracks of light allowed to him by the Gators. He wore out. He fired up two 3s from at least six feet behind the arc in the overtime and missed them both, badly. Then again, he had a cut in his chin that looked like something George Foreman had left and his calf was killing him. But when his teammates really needed him, at the end of regulation, on defense, Jimmer really hit the dimmer.

Florida missed a trey with 24 seconds to go and Fredette's man, Erving Walker, who stands only 5-6, beat him to the long rebound. It wasn't hard. Fredette was nowhere to be found. I'm not even sure Fredette knew who his man was the entire night. Florida wound up with a reset and the last shot.

"If we'd have gotten it, we'd have had about eight seconds left differential," Fredette said. "I'd have had the ball in my hands at the end."

Note to Jimmer: To get the ball, one must occasionally check one's man and/or box said man out. One did neither.

"The weird thing is, [his defense] has gotten progressively worse over the year," says Fredette's own teammate, Nick Martineau. "From the start, he's never really been accountable to it, but it's just gotten looser as the year's gone on. But he can play defense. He really can. He'll definitely tighten it up for the NBA."

He'd better.

"I just want to take a couple weeks off and then start getting ready to try to make an NBA team," said the man who probably will be voted about five player of the year awards. "That's my dream, to make an NBA team."

Fine. That he can do. But you think this barely 6-2 kid with no speed and YMCA hops can be the next Maravich or Ainge or Westbrook?

Fredette about it.

Thanks Rick I'm going to have to actively root for Jimmer Fredette to become an NBA All-Star thanks to you.

And to think he gets paid five million dollars per year to crap out pieces like this.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
My God, it even contains my favorite bad sportswriting line: "sure, [player] scored a ton of points but it took him [arbitrary number] to do it!!"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Reilly used to write funny, interesting, and sometimes poignant columns. I don't know why he lost his mind after moving to ESPN.

Once and awhile I guess, but he was pretty bad even before that. Most of his articles fell into two categories. They were either something filled with dumb hack jokes about how darn ~WACKY~ sports were or something about someone overcoming some sort of disability to play sports (which were occasionally pretty touching, but it was also more or less the same article over and over). Also he was really annoying and holier than thou about steroids.

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

My God, it even contains my favorite bad sportswriting line: "sure, [player] scored a ton of points but it took him [arbitrary number] to do it!!"

That's kind of a relevant point in regards to that particular game, because he was really inefficient (although he kind of has to be because the rest of the team is bad). I'm willing to bet a significant sum of money that that was the only BYU game Riley watched all year though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 27, 2011

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

MorningView posted:

Once and awhile I guess, but he was pretty bad even before that. Most of his articles fell into two categories. They were either something filled with dumb hack jokes about how darn ~WACKY~ sports were or something about someone overcoming some sort of disability to play sports (which were occasionally pretty touching, but it was also more or less the same article over and over). Also he was really annoying and holier than thou about steroids.

My mom absolutely loved the back page Reilly columns because she would just fall head over heels for all of the sappy crap he would go on and on about. It seems like his demographic is people who have no clue about sports

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zakharov posted:

Really? Maybe it's just because the only Reilly I've ever read is from his last few years at the back of SI, but I can't imagine that guy writing anything that isn't a festival of hacky bullshit on one of three topics:
1. Inspirational story about someone using sports to Overcome Adversity
2. A lazy Shame on You story about a universally reviled sports personality or, better yet, a little league coach who has exhibited Bad Sportsmanship
3. A story about how awesome it is to be Rick Reilly

All three of these are filled with bad writing, horrible jokes, moronic similes, really dated pop culture references, and, of course, teeth. I'd really appreciate it if someone could link something that Reilly has ever written that won't make me throw up my hands and start losing the ability to properly Capitalize Words in a Sentence.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Really?

I intended to find something worthwhile he wrote, but instead I found this (from 12 damned years ago): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/lifeofreilly/1999/0315/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick Reilly used to write really long feature pieces for Sports Illustrated that won him most of his Sportswriter of the Year awards, and then somewhere along the way he decided to use his reputation to give half a poo poo for most of his columns, recycle the rest, and here we are in 2011 and he's being paid five million dollars a year by ESPN to write columns where he claims that the possible NCAA player of the year could get beat down by guys in the YMCA and makes Mormon jokes.

Actually I kind of envy him.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 27, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Grittybeard posted:

I intended to find something worthwhile he wrote, but instead I found this (from 12 damned years ago): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/lifeofreilly/1999/0315/

I've posted a few of them in this thread, check back a few pages.

Reilly doesn't make me feel anything when he's so obviously mailing in a column but the Jimmer column is the first one that has made me legitimately angry.

ne: This JV Baseball League column is stupid, but at least it makes a point.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Reilly gets paid 5 mil a year? AUGGGHHHHHHHHHH

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Fredette about it!!!!!

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
The sports editor at a Fort Wayne newspaper tweeted an IU basketball verbal commit suggesting that he decommit and go to Butler

http://twitter.com/Tom101010/status/51810584324341760

Tom Davis of the Fort-Wayne News-Sentinel posted:

@cwhartman27 Follow your mom's footsteps and play for the best mbb program in the state! Go 'Dawgs!

Very professional.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Fisticuffs posted:

The sports editor at a Fort Wayne newspaper tweeted an IU basketball verbal commit suggesting that he decommit and go to Butler

http://twitter.com/Tom101010/status/51810584324341760

Very professional.

This only pisses you off because you're an Indiana fan.

But it's not terribly professional and the writer should be disciplined by his paper.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This only pisses you off because you're an Indiana fan.

But it's not terribly professional and the writer should be disciplined by his paper.

I'm not pissed off? The recruit in question(Collin Hartman) tweeted that he was and will remain a Hoosier. I don't worry that this douchey douche will have any effect on the recruitment of a 2013 player nor do I feel as if losing out on Hartman at this point(well before anyone from his class can sign) would be a big deal.

I just think it's really unprofessional. That's why it's here. If I thought anything relevant to Indiana basketball would happen as a result it would be in N/V.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Is the dude's twitter advertised or sponsored in an official capacity by his employer?

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

A drat FOG posted:

Is the dude's twitter advertised or sponsored in an official capacity by his employer?

It's not, but it does note that he is the sports editor of the paper he works at.

From an ethical standpoint, I don't see how it matters. Reporters aren't supposed to make the news, on the clock or off the clock.

Assume he wasn't at work, or on twitter. Assume he ran into CH, convinced he to decommit and verbal for Butler. Then he runs the scoop the next day. I don't see that as less unethical.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A drat FOG posted:

Yeah, what Fisticuffs said. Reporters have been disciplined (and will be disciplined again) for stuff posted on personal Twitter, Facebook and message board posts.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I think that's stupid. It's no different than if he had a conversation with someone, brought up what he does for work, and then mentioned an opinion. It's not necessary to make that kind of concession for the sake of people who are too stupid to discern opinions which represent the journalistic standards of a publication and opinions that are just a dude talking about things.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Thanks Rick I'm going to have to actively root for Jimmer Fredette to become an NBA All-Star thanks to you.

And to think he gets paid five million dollars per year to crap out pieces like this.

I don't know anything about basketball and that piece infuriates me because he just rails against this guy while giving no real information. Aside from a few vague references to "paying attention to defense" I have no idea what the author is trying to convey or why this bad game is supposed to override the rest of Jimmer's career. I assume Jimmer is normally very good because otherwise this article would be pointless, but why am I supposed to think this one game means more than his previous good games unless there is some Space Jam scenario where his power has been sapped? Does Jimmer suck against good teams or something? I have no idea. It's just terrible writing from start to finish.

The only really notable piece of information is the no-context quote from a teammate about how his defense has been getting worse all year. It's not followed up on though so I don't know what the reason for this might be or if it's something that can be expected to continue into his NBA career.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 28, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
^Exactly. It's just so frustrating, coming from someone like Rick Reilly.

Which reminds me...anyone up for some :siren: GOOD JOURNALISM :siren: ?

"The Mourning Anchor," by Rick Reilly (SI, Sept. 26, 1988). We'll start with a Reilly piece, this one on Bryant Gumbel. Suffice it to say, he comes out looking more like Malcolm X than Wayne Brady. This is rather dark stuff. But Reilly paints Gumbel in a human light. It's as though, over the past several years, he has just forgotten all about what made him a good writer in the first place.

"The Power of One," by Gary Smith (SI, Sept. 28, 2009). Sometimes, writers luck out with the details available about an event. Gary Smith has all the details in the world to work with in this case, and he uses them wisely. It can be hard, in the paragon of sports journalism, to find an account of an event that, at its surface, just sounds so cool.

"We must learn from McKinley's death," by Woody Paige (Denver Post, Sept. 23, 2010). Apparently, if you want to write something impactful about sports, you publish it in late September. This is the story where Paige tells you that, yes, he once thought about attempting suicide, but he didn't follow through. It's an opinion piece, but it reads like an actual human being, with feelings and emotions and fears, wrote it. That doesn't always happen (does it, Rick?).

"Her Blue Haven," by Bill Plaschke (Los Angeles Times, Aug. 19, 2001). I normally hate Bill Plaschke's columns. This one made me cry. If you cannot feel from reading this piece, you cannot feel.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 28, 2011

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

A drat FOG posted:

I think that's stupid. It's no different than if he had a conversation with someone, brought up what he does for work, and then mentioned an opinion. It's not necessary to make that kind of concession for the sake of people who are too stupid to discern opinions which represent the journalistic standards of a publication and opinions that are just a dude talking about things.

I can't wrap my head around this post at all.

This guy is a sports editor. Because of the nature of his job, he can't just have a "conversation" of that nature with a recruit. It compromises his position at work that he does this in his off-time. Trying to recruit for Butler, which is something he does all the time on his Twitter, is way out of line for a sports editor. It is necessarily related to his job, whether he is on the clock or not.

He had another tweet asking all IU/PU recruits why they'd rather go to one of those schools rather than "the best program in the state(he's smart enough to avoid committing an NCAA violation by OPENLY pimping Butler)." He knows what he's doing is not innocuous, as any reporter would.

Unless it make sense to you that a reporter could use his access to recruits to push/recruit for Butler and purport to be an impartial writer in print. That he tries to have a hand in making the news is an ethical violation in journalism.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fisticuffs posted:

He had another tweet asking all IU/PU recruits why they'd rather go to one of those schools rather than "the best program in the state(he's smart enough to avoid committing an NCAA violation by OPENLY pimping Butler)." He knows what he's doing is not innocuous, as any reporter would.

Sadly, this is not always true.

drat FOG, most reporters sign an agreement to present themselves in public in ways that are consistent with their jobs. If there was a political reporter openly campaigning for a candidate on their Facebook page, it would be a similar situation. It's generally just a good idea to keep your private opinions private, even if that only means making your Twitter page invitation only.

To some extent, though, it's just sports. Especially in small towns, there's at least some expectation that the paper will be pulling for the home team. I don't really agree with how far some writers go, but it's an understandable way of engaging your readers.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Did anyone watch the Frontline program 'Money and March Madness' on your pbs station?

Or just watch it online? Just wondering because Frontline generally speaking makes solid programming.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/money-and-march-madness/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=bigimage&utm_source=bigimage

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

soggybagel posted:

Did anyone watch the Frontline program 'Money and March Madness' on your pbs station?

Or just watch it online? Just wondering because Frontline generally speaking makes solid programming.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/money-and-march-madness/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=bigimage&utm_source=bigimage

Anyone else having trouble loading the video? It won't load up for me.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

http://www.nesn.com/2011/04/red-sox-return-to-underdog-role-with-opportunity-to-make-history-like-they-did-in-2004.html

Red Sox Return to Underdog Role With Opportunity to Make History Like They Did In 2004

quote:

The Red Sox have the rest of the baseball universe right where they want.

Doubting them.

After being anointed champs before Opening Day, the Red Sox have looked more like chumps in their first six games of the 2011 season. But starting 0-6 might be the most revolutionary blessing to hit Boston since Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride.

Only two teams in baseball history have ever made the playoffs after starting a season 0-6: the 1974 Pittsburgh Pirates and 1995 Cincinnati Reds. Both teams lost in the National League Championship Series.

The Red Sox have an opportunity to be the first 0-6 team to win a World Series. In other words, the Red Sox have another chance to make history in 2011.

In 2004, the Red Sox became the first major league team to win a playoff series after being down three games to none, beating the Yankees in the ALCS to shock the world.

Now, the Red Sox have to dig themselves out of their worst hole since 1945.

The Red Sox historically have performed better in the underdog role than as a front-runner. After losing six straight to open this season, they might as well change the B on their cap to a big U, don capes and start fighting crime. The Red Sox have had the blue-blood sense of entitlement smacked out of their mouth, but they can get back to their blue-collar roots and take an us-against-the-world attitude.

They can get back to playing fundamental baseball -- throwing the ball, catching the ball, hitting the ball.

They can get back to hitting pitches where they are thrown, getting hits with runners in scoring position, hitting the cutoff man, painting the black, smacking home runs.

They can stop pressing and get back to being dirt dogs.

The team with the $161 million payroll needs to start having fun again.

Pop the Napoleon Dynamite dance scene into the clubhouse TV. Start smiling. Start high-fiving. Forget all the hype.

Imagine The Show is Little League. Play like nobody’s watching. Fast and loose like Eddie Felson.

Winning is a lot easier with a carefree, confident approach and some swagger.

Every player on the 25-man Red Sox roster has produced under pressure before. These are not greenhorns. This is a seasoned team. The Red Sox just didn’t forget how to play winning baseball.

Will they end up being the greatest of all time?

No title will be handed to them, but don’t underestimate a wounded lion.

edit: added in the line breaks so you understand it's from the "one loving sentence per paragraph" school of idiot writing

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don't underestimate a wounded lion . . . with suspect starting pitching, an uneven lineup and injury issues, and shaky defense at third and center and catcher.

That really is the worst article I've read in awhile.There is actually no baseball insight in there at all.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 11, 2011