Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

devmd01 posted:

See those little arrows in the path in Explorer? Click them.

I like knowing the contents of the parent folders, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Siroc posted:

I like knowing the contents of the parent folders, too.

In that case you're going to need an alternative file manager. Here's a few. I don't know if any of those do what you want, I guess you'll just have to do some researching/trialling.

Casimirus
Mar 28, 2005
Yes.
Have they updated Windows Firewall at all since Vista? I remember disabling the default "allow all outbound" behavior, adding an explicit exception for a program (and all processes it spawns for things like updating) and having it occasionally fail to match a rule until the rule was disabled/re-enabled. The inconsistency made what had potential (as far as software-based process-specific outbound firewall rules, which is a pretty flawed model to begin with) basically useless. It's a long shot, considering how much Windows 7 shares with Vista, so I'm not really willing to go set up a bunch of exception rules for updaters and the processes they spawn only to find the same inconsistent behavior a few weeks down the line, but I'd love to hear they rewrote it from the ground up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If my computer is overlaying weird graphics (like from other programs) for a few seconds, or having little graphical bugs like dots near letters in font for half a second, and so forth what's going on?

This only started recently, my gpu isn't overclocked (though it is unlocked, I later decided to put it to stock since I couldn't get a stable overclock a couple months back), and it's only around 50~C or so so its not overheating. Nothing is so far.

I'm gonna be home in an hour or so to check up on my PC (sometimes I really wish I could just login to it from anywhere while it's already logged in) but do you think I should restart or reinstall the 11.4 AMD drivers, or roll back to 11.2?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If my computer is overlaying weird graphics (like from other programs) for a few seconds, or having little graphical bugs like dots near letters in font for half a second, and so forth what's going on?

This only started recently, my gpu isn't overclocked (though it is unlocked, I later decided to put it to stock since I couldn't get a stable overclock a couple months back), and it's only around 50~C or so so its not overheating. Nothing is so far.

I'm gonna be home in an hour or so to check up on my PC (sometimes I really wish I could just login to it from anywhere while it's already logged in) but do you think I should restart or reinstall the 11.4 AMD drivers, or roll back to 11.2?

I had the first problem you mentioned. Uninstalling the CCC fixed that. Try it.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Has anybody used gdipp or any of its alternatives? I've been using it lately to provide OS X-like font smoothing and it looks fantastic, especially with the Ubuntu font. I hate tinkering under the hood of windows 7, though, and wish there was a more ideal way of implementing something like this. Is there any reason not to use this?

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
This may be a dumb question:

In my previous install of 7, something like Steam, if it was pinned to the taskbar, if I right clicked on it, it showed me most recent games playing, etc.

And if I pinned minecraft, when I opened it the pinned icon would be replaced with the game's window.

After a fresh install, this no longer happens. The pinned icon is there AND the games window.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or is something hosed up?

205b
Mar 25, 2007

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

This may be a dumb question:

In my previous install of 7, something like Steam, if it was pinned to the taskbar, if I right clicked on it, it showed me most recent games playing, etc.

And if I pinned minecraft, when I opened it the pinned icon would be replaced with the game's window.

After a fresh install, this no longer happens. The pinned icon is there AND the games window.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or is something hosed up?

Just a guess but this might be due to the new launcher executable for Minecraft.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Siroc posted:

Is there a file viewer option or software that will enable you to view files in a column view. OSX does this. Here's link to show what I'm talking about : http://www.tipsfor.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/finder-synced-address-book.png

You want a file manager that supports Miller Columns and I don't think there are any working/good ones for Windows 7.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Great Enoch posted:

Has anybody used gdipp or any of its alternatives? I've been using it lately to provide OS X-like font smoothing and it looks fantastic, especially with the Ubuntu font. I hate tinkering under the hood of windows 7, though, and wish there was a more ideal way of implementing something like this. Is there any reason not to use this?

Windows 7 already has a built-in utility to tune cleartype - you might find that can give you the effect you're after without resorting to 3rd party renderers.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Quartz and Cleartype are actually quite different, with cleartype emphasising clarity at lower resolutions. It actually affects the typesetting itself, changing the shapes of the letters to reduce blurriness etc. There are a few side by side samples but you really have to try working with large blocks of text in both to appreciate the cumulative effect.

I actually think both are great solutions, but for me Quartz style wins out at higher resolutions, where your display can begin compete with printed text for clarity.

Edit:With and without

Great Enoch fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 24, 2011

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

LiftAuff posted:

You want a file manager that supports Miller Columns and I don't think there are any working/good ones for Windows 7.

This is exactly what I want. Thanks for putting a name on it. Such a shame. :( Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Great Enoch posted:

Quartz and Cleartype are actually quite different, with cleartype emphasising clarity at lower resolutions. It actually affects the typesetting itself, changing the shapes of the letters to reduce blurriness etc. There are a few side by side samples but you really have to try working with large blocks of text in both to appreciate the cumulative effect.

I actually think both are great solutions, but for me Quartz style wins out at higher resolutions, where your display can begin compete with printed text for clarity.

The way fonts look under DirectX acceleration, which is first being used in Firefox 4 and IE9 (and all the various Windows programs that use the IE engine for rendering things after 9 is installed) looks a bit more OS X like incidentally, and by Windows 8 it should be the default Windows font rendering.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I realized today why MS is so heavily promoting IE9's site pinning feature. If everyone pins their most-visited sites, and later installs a different browser, the pinned sites will still open in IE. I guess other browsers could always decide to support IE's .website format, but I haven't heard of that happening.

Pretty clever.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

raezr posted:

I realized today why MS is so heavily promoting IE9's site pinning feature. If everyone pins their most-visited sites, and later installs a different browser, the pinned sites will still open in IE. I guess other browsers could always decide to support IE's .website format, but I haven't heard of that happening.

Pretty clever.

Not having installed IE9, can you explain this? Does it pin the sites to the taskbar as separate IE9 shortcuts or something?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Not having installed IE9, can you explain this? Does it pin the sites to the taskbar as separate IE9 shortcuts or something?
Kind of. When you pin a site then you get the site's icon in your taskbar. Clicking it will open an IE9 instance that's slightly rebranded to the theme of that site. The icon is shown in the top left of the window, the back/forward buttons are recolored to the site's theme, and there's some behind-the-scenes differences too. Also pinned sites can have jumplists and notifications like other pinned apps. It's IE's version of making "web apps" integrate into the OS like regular apps. When I used Chrome a long time ago I remember it having as similar feature called something like Tools->Create Application Shortcut.

You can see more of it on the IE9 promotional site http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/#/highlights/seamless-with-windows-7

On a technical level, a pinned site is just an ini file with the .website extension. I imagine other browsers could always decide to support it and associate themeselves with that extension, although I'm not sure if MS has all of its details publicly documented.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

rolleyes posted:

Pretty much. You drag a site down to the taskbar and it gets its own icon there. There is also some sort of API sites can use to add jumplists and notification badges to their taskbar icons.

I didn't think they sounded too exciting at first, but after using for a while they are pretty cool. Definitely miss them when I'm using a Mac.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Siroc posted:

[Miller columns] is exactly what I want. Thanks for putting a name on it. Such a shame. :( Thanks!
Looks like UltraExplorer can be configured to do this. http://www.mustangpeak.net/ultraexplorer.html

I haven't actually used it myself, but this video looks promising:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG5NzIC5Vwk

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

EoRaptor posted:

Yeah, semi-known bug: fix

Ug. I ran this and it said two files needed to be updated, ehci and ohci. Rebooted and once into windows my computer completely froze. Hard booted and I get a blue screen on start up, or after I log in. :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Great Enoch posted:

The Quartz one looks like it reproduces the shapes more accurately, but man is that kerning atrocious

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Would this be the thread to ask about Windows 7/Windows Media Center/Xbox 360 issues?

I recently upgraded to 7, and since I can't for the life of me figure out how to share my video files with my Xbox in the same way I did with XP, I tried using Windows Media Center. Except that WMC on the 360 is slow, laggy, inconsistent, and generally frustrating.

If there's a better thread for this issue, feel free to point me that-a-way :)

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

Would this be the thread to ask about Windows 7/Windows Media Center/Xbox 360 issues?

I recently upgraded to 7, and since I can't for the life of me figure out how to share my video files with my Xbox in the same way I did with XP, I tried using Windows Media Center. Except that WMC on the 360 is slow, laggy, inconsistent, and generally frustrating.

If there's a better thread for this issue, feel free to point me that-a-way :)

You pretty much have to use WMC as far as I can tell. When you first set it up it takes awhile to cache all the information it needs so give it some time on that part. Also it was awful trying to work it over wireless (G at least, not sure about N) so at my house we just broke down and ran wires to everything. Sucks because the old way would stream movies over wireless just fine. From your post it sounds like you're trying to run it over wireless since those are the exact issues we had.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

CFox posted:

You pretty much have to use WMC as far as I can tell. When you first set it up it takes awhile to cache all the information it needs so give it some time on that part. Also it was awful trying to work it over wireless (G at least, not sure about N) so at my house we just broke down and ran wires to everything. Sucks because the old way would stream movies over wireless just fine. From your post it sounds like you're trying to run it over wireless since those are the exact issues we had.

Yeah that's exactly it. Wireless on my PC, Xbox is plugged in. Sure, I can download at over 1Mbit/sec, and sure my Xbox can do Netflix HD all day, but try to stream a 480i movie between two machines on the same network and WMC shits itself. Worked fine for hours and hours yesterday, but today it's back to being laggy and not playing any video.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
You don't have to use WMC to share with the Xbox on Windows 7. Click Start Orb and search for "Media Streaming" (the actual option is buried under the Network and Sharing Center somewhere). From there you can share stuff that WMP has in it's library, just like on XP. You'll have to authorize your 360 when it's online.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

LoKout posted:

You don't have to use WMC to share with the Xbox on Windows 7. Click Start Orb and search for "Media Streaming" (the actual option is buried under the Network and Sharing Center somewhere). From there you can share stuff that WMP has in it's library, just like on XP. You'll have to authorize your 360 when it's online.

So how do I tell my 360 where to find the files? I'm still new to 7 and this whole "libraries" thing has me a little confused.

Edit: By that I mean I can't find any place to say "hey, this loving folder, right here, let my Xbox access it"

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman
I don't know what the hell is going on with my install of Windows 7, but I'm getting some annoying issues.

Firstly, SP1 doesn't show up for me in Windows Update. I then downloaded the standalone installer in the first post and the installer says that "Service Pack 1 setup can't identify the version of Windows on this computer".

As far as I can tell, I have a normal version of Windows 7 Professional. I got the (validated) key from digitalriver during the student sale. The SP1 installer suggests running the System Update Readiness Tool, which I did (it installed one hotfix). Didn't seem to fix the issue though; still can't identify my version of Windows.

Secondly, .NET 4.0 is not installing properly. I have a 4.0 program that I need installed (Windows Home Server 2011 Client Connector) and it keeps telling me that I need 4.0.30319 installed, even though my Program Features page in the Control Panel says I have that version.

I've tried repairing it, uninstalling and reinstalling, reinstalling using the standalone installer, and using the .net cleanup tool after an uninstall, all to no avail. There is a .net verification tool that I've used and that does correctly tell me that verification of the 4.0 install fails.

I really haven't found any good answers for either of these problems, and while there is a "fix" for the .NET problem (flatten and reinstall), I would really like to avoid that if at all possible.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

SyHopeful posted:

So how do I tell my 360 where to find the files? I'm still new to 7 and this whole "libraries" thing has me a little confused.

Edit: By that I mean I can't find any place to say "hey, this loving folder, right here, let my Xbox access it"

Add it to your library in Windows Media Player. By default it uses the Videos and Public Videos directories, so if you've got it there it should work. I have noticed significant delays sometimes when adding media - you may have to restart the sharing service if that happens (Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service - found in services.msc).

Hopefully that works better than WMC, since there's less overhead.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

baka kaba posted:

The Quartz one looks like it reproduces the shapes more accurately, but man is that kerning atrocious

I think you might be using the wrong term. Kerning is the overlap of the bounding boxes of adjacent characters, which is identical in both images.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

flink posted:

I don't know what the hell is going on with my install of Windows 7, but I'm getting some annoying issues.

Firstly, SP1 doesn't show up for me in Windows Update. I then downloaded the standalone installer in the first post and the installer says that "Service Pack 1 setup can't identify the version of Windows on this computer".

As far as I can tell, I have a normal version of Windows 7 Professional. I got the (validated) key from digitalriver during the student sale. The SP1 installer suggests running the System Update Readiness Tool, which I did (it installed one hotfix). Didn't seem to fix the issue though; still can't identify my version of Windows.

Secondly, .NET 4.0 is not installing properly. I have a 4.0 program that I need installed (Windows Home Server 2011 Client Connector) and it keeps telling me that I need 4.0.30319 installed, even though my Program Features page in the Control Panel says I have that version.

I've tried repairing it, uninstalling and reinstalling, reinstalling using the standalone installer, and using the .net cleanup tool after an uninstall, all to no avail. There is a .net verification tool that I've used and that does correctly tell me that verification of the 4.0 install fails.

I really haven't found any good answers for either of these problems, and while there is a "fix" for the .NET problem (flatten and reinstall), I would really like to avoid that if at all possible.

Could you install ie9? If not, then chances are the version of windows you have isn't the final build. I ran into that a while back when the first preview of 9 came out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

rolleyes posted:

I think you might be using the wrong term. Kerning is the overlap of the bounding boxes of adjacent characters, which is identical in both images.

Yeah, look at the sidebar

Rec ent c hanges
Cont ac t Wikipe dia

Exaggerated obviously but those letters leave really obvious gaps (at 100% zoom). Cleartype doesn't look great but at least the kerning is more consistent

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

tk posted:

Pretty much. You drag a site down to the taskbar and it gets its own icon there. There is also some sort of API sites can use to add jumplists and notification badges to their taskbar icons.

I didn't think they sounded too exciting at first, but after using for a while they are pretty cool. Definitely miss them when I'm using a Mac.

Another cool about this is you can set multiple home pages unique to that instance of IE9. I use it for gmail/calendar, so it functions more like an application than sites I browse to.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Yeah, look at the sidebar

Rec ent c hanges
Cont ac t Wikipe dia

Exaggerated obviously but those letters leave really obvious gaps (at 100% zoom). Cleartype doesn't look great but at least the kerning is more consistent

True, I hadn't spotted that. It does seem to have a few problems with smaller font sizes, especially the 'c' and 't' characters.

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman

Ryokurin posted:

Could you install ie9? If not, then chances are the version of windows you have isn't the final build. I ran into that a while back when the first preview of 9 came out

You are correct, IE9's installer does not allow it to be installed on pre-release builds. I guess I'm reinstalling Windows after all. Thanks for the help.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

rolleyes posted:

True, I hadn't spotted that. It does seem to have a few problems with smaller font sizes, especially the 'c' and 't' characters.

Honestly it seems like every size, the 'Adolescent Star' heading at the bottom still has gaps after the 'c' and 'e' (not so much with the 't' though), same with the 'e' in 'Elizabeth Taylor' in the article heading, the kerning after the 'y' is too narrow, the text in the URL bar... ok some of that's persnickety but it just looks awkward overall, which is a shame because the shapes really are so much better. I don't know exactly what's involved but it seems like the kerning for the screen display was created with Cleartype's hinting in mind, and when Quartz changes the shapes it doesn't adapt the spacing to match

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I know volume levels for individual applications can be adjusted, but is there a way to set the default volume for new or unspecified applications? For example, if I install a new game right now, is there a setting that can make that game start at 10% volume without running it and adjusting manually?

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Honestly it seems like every size, the 'Adolescent Star' heading at the bottom still has gaps after the 'c' and 'e' (not so much with the 't' though), same with the 'e' in 'Elizabeth Taylor' in the article heading, the kerning after the 'y' is too narrow, the text in the URL bar... ok some of that's persnickety but it just looks awkward overall, which is a shame because the shapes really are so much better. I don't know exactly what's involved but it seems like the kerning for the screen display was created with Cleartype's hinting in mind, and when Quartz changes the shapes it doesn't adapt the spacing to match

Yeah the kerning's definitely off, which is a crying shame, and it does seem to be more exacerbated on wikipedia for some reason (I'm guessing amongst other things the wider column space and smaller type size make white rivers etc. apparent). Still for reading from afar and at larger sizes (ubuntu is a really great screen font in heavier settings) I've found readibility better, and of course, good typesetting remains more ideal than reality. Hell, you can buy supposedly high quality hardback books these days with terrible typesetting.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Sorry for adding clutter, but figuring out how to purchase/install win7 (legally) is by far the most confusing thing I have ever tried to do with a computer. I am a student who would like to install a windows 7 that has XP mode capability using a clean install through a VM Ware Fusion (3) on my MacBook Pro.

My options at the moment seem to be 1) purchase upgrade media for win7, dig up a probably-less-than-legitimate copy of XP and install it in the VM, and install windows 7 over it; 2) do the same except find some sort of hack to let me clean install it; 3) purchase the full-price non-upgrade version. Is there really no student pricing for a clean install?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

marmot25 posted:

Sorry for adding clutter, but figuring out how to purchase/install win7 (legally) is by far the most confusing thing I have ever tried to do with a computer. I am a student who would like to install a windows 7 that has XP mode capability using a clean install through a VM Ware Fusion (3) on my MacBook Pro.

My options at the moment seem to be 1) purchase upgrade media for win7, dig up a probably-less-than-legitimate copy of XP and install it in the VM, and install windows 7 over it; 2) do the same except find some sort of hack to let me clean install it; 3) purchase the full-price non-upgrade version. Is there really no student pricing for a clean install?

Version 3 is the only 100% legit way to do it. Version 2 is workable very easily (like, change one registry key from a 0 to a 1 and then activate or just install Win 7 twice), but without a prior Windows license, it's just as not-legit as 1.

You should go to your campus computer store. If your school is of any decent size and technical fortitude, they should sell a volume-licensed full version to students and staff for $30 or so, with a limit of one or two licenses per person (at my school you were allowed one copy each for 32 and 64 bit Ultimate, though the key for each would work for either architecture).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
For some reason with 7 the student priced versions are upgrades now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

marmot25 posted:

Windows 7 XP Compatibility mode does not need an actual XP license, it comes with one.