Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Dancing Peasant posted:

I've seen how most guys in their weight class can make weight at 170, 185, 205, etc. before the fight. Lately though, they come in at 171, 186, 206, etc. Why is the extra pound ignored here and do the fighters still get docked pay for this?

For non title fights you can come in up to a pound over with out any repercussions from the ufc/athletic commission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Dancing Peasant posted:

I've seen how most guys in their weight class can make weight at 170, 185, 205, etc. before the fight. Lately though, they come in at 171, 186, 206, etc. Why is the extra pound ignored here and do the fighters still get docked pay for this?

There's a 1 pound overage for non-title fights. It's because the weight classes don't overlap. For instance, Lightweight is 146-155, but Welterweight is 156-170. Any weight between 155-156 is just counted as Lightweight by the athletic commission since it's closer 155.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Well drat everyone already covered everything else before I hit reply, but to further add: When fighters miss weight by more than a pound you are given two hours to drop the excess weight and step on the scales again. If you are still over the weight limit you are fined 20% of your purse and it either goes to the opponent or to the athletic commission.

So just because a fighter misses weight the first time it does not mean they are automatically fined.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Xguard86 posted:

It's not really that different from normal bjj they just have some peculiar techniques that you never actually see anyone do outside training DVDs.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but Im also pretty sure that 10th planet JJ is STRICTLY no gi. They never train in gis ever.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

Well drat everyone already covered everything else before I hit reply, but to further add: When fighters miss weight by more than a pound you are given two hours to drop the excess weight and step on the scales again. If you are still over the weight limit you are fined 20% of your purse and it either goes to the opponent or to the athletic commission.

So just because a fighter misses weight the first time it does not mean they are automatically fined.

The "free pound" is also because of possible discrepancy in the accuracy of the scales.

In Rumble Johnson's case as well, when he failed to make weight by like 6 pounds his bonus was held by the UFC.

Dana White seems to have a pretty strict policy on making weight and he's often been heard telling fighters to move up if they can't make the weight.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fawker posted:

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but Im also pretty sure that 10th planet JJ is STRICTLY no gi. They never train in gis ever.

There were a couple of 10th planet guys signed up for this weekend's Pan Jiu Jitsu tournament, and it's gi only. But I was under the impression that 10th planet schools were strictly no gi.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
Submissions 101 videos on youtube are based out of 10th planet, right? They're almost always in gis and they frequently demonstrate gi only moves. Eddie Bravo's class is what's no-gi at 10th planet.

Just what i've deduced.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

John Blaster posted:

Submissions 101 videos on youtube are based out of 10th planet, right? They're almost always in gis and they frequently demonstrate gi only moves. Eddie Bravo's class is what's no-gi at 10th planet.

Just what i've deduced.

I think the sub101 dude just paid bravo a load of cash for the endorsment and doesnt actually have that much to do with tenth planet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
10th planet Bjj is all about no-gi, but I have heard tell that Bravo does gi or is willing to do gi with his upper level guys.

I will rephrase: 10th planet Bjj is nothing particularly strange outside of their rubber guard stuff.

Sub101 is just above trash as far as quality. They're not "wrong" but most of what they show is full of errors or missing pieces.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I only posted the submissions101 video as a joke response to someone asking what the worst thing that could happen to Rashad was.

Sorry :ohdear:

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

BlindSite posted:

Dana White seems to have a pretty strict policy on making weight and he's often been heard telling fighters to move up if they can't make the weight.

For example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqA1b9XcLeU&t=618s

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jesus, that's a huge loving cut to try to make on TUF>

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watching TUF - Pulver/Penn. Really loving it. I watched the original when it was on TV so I don't know why i'm so surprised that it's excellent but this raises two questions:

1) Is there this much crying in all the seasons?

2) What are the best seasons (I don't have a preference for weight classes)

widunder
May 2, 2002

LordPants posted:

Watching TUF - Pulver/Penn. Really loving it. I watched the original when it was on TV so I don't know why i'm so surprised that it's excellent but this raises two questions:

1) Is there this much crying in all the seasons?

2) What are the best seasons (I don't have a preference for weight classes)
5 is my personal favorite. Penn being his extremely annoying self, Nate Diaz, Andy Wang, Cakegabe, Jens being an adorable hick and a poo poo ton else.

Also, season 6. Boring fighters, fantastic coaches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why are guillotines and rear naked chokes far and away the most common subs; is it because you can catch people in guillotines and then work for it a bit, and with rear naked chokes you can take back control and spend the round wearing the guy down?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 29, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
choking someone is one of the most effective ways to win a fight.

Those two chokes are the easiest and most effective ways to choke people.

It's not quite that simple, but it's basically that.

Vegard
Mar 20, 2011
Also you don't have to give up position.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Halloween Jack posted:

Why are guillotines and rear naked chokes far and away the most common subs; is it because you can catch people in guillotines and then work for it a bit, and with rear naked chokes you can take back control and spend the round wearing the guy down?

armbars can lead to loss of position very easily, as can mounted triangles (except it tends to be that dudes who go for mounted triangles are excellent so they get finished), shoulder locks take a lot strength, and footlocks/toeholds can take a lot of strength and can be very difficult to finish. a lot of other leglocks give up position as well.

chokes such as the d'arce, anaconda and arm triangle can be done without sacrificing too much, but if you don't have it completely correct its very easy to gas your arms out (same as a guillotine).

RNC is flat out the best and highest percentage move from back control, triangle is the best from guard, and guillotine is the best from standing/scramble. head and arm chokes are becoming more common from scrambles i think.

Vegard
Mar 20, 2011
north-south choke should be more common, but until a greater number of Metaphorical gorillas enroll in a jiu-jitsu class it will probably remain Monson-specific.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Gomi Pile posted:

RNC is flat out the best and highest percentage move from back control,

What else is there, really?

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I remember someone tapping to a body triangle when the submitter was sitting on the guy's lower back.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Elmo Oxygen posted:

dragon sleeper (which cort says doesn't work but he's wrong), twister, armbar, full nelson, stefan struve arm triangle, that retard hell choke or whatever that someone posted a video of

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
there's a video of garcia and askren grappling and i'm pretty sure garcia taps him with a rings of saturn and a secret move.

it should be noted that omoplata is the lowest percentage move, in that it is 0 percent effective

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Sometimes guys transition to an armbar when they're too high on the back; I think Condit pulled it off once.

Steve Winwood posted:

I remember someone tapping to a body triangle when the submitter was sitting on the guy's lower back.
I think that was DeMarques Johnson. I can't think of any other time it's happened in the UFC.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Palhares submitted Ivan Salaverry with an armbar from back control.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

henkman posted:

Palhares submitted Ivan Salaverry with an armbar from back control.

And Mayhem (in training) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpSIstTGLKk

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Gomi Pile posted:

it should be noted that omoplata is the lowest percentage move, in that it is 0 percent effective
Not if you channel Chris Benoit.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Sometimes guys transition to an armbar when they're too high on the back; I think Condit pulled it off once.

I think that was DeMarques Johnson. I can't think of any other time it's happened in the UFC.

Salaverry/Fryklund

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've heard a few disparaging comments about Kendall Grove, I was wondering what it is people dislike about him. I've barely seen him fight and know nothing of him outside the ring except that he trains/trained with Forrest.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

I've heard a few disparaging comments about Kendall Grove, I was wondering what it is people dislike about him. I've barely seen him fight and know nothing of him outside the ring except that he trains/trained with Forrest.

He has the brains of a cocker spaniel and is an extremely typical Hawaiian. In the ring he is typically pretty watchable though, win or lose.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fatherdog posted:

He has the brains of a cocker spaniel and is an extremely typical Hawaiian. In the ring he is typically pretty watchable though, win or lose.

Was he the one who put on his application to the UFC (there's probably a better word for it than that) "Strong Bloodline" as one of his strengths?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
one really bad thing about him is that hes easy to KO

also when he does get KO'd it tends to be absolutely hilarious

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10y3r_rotr-joe-riggs-vs-kendal-grove_sport

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kendal isn't necessarily disliked he's just easy to poke fun at, he's got decent subs and his lankyness makes for some fun match ups, couple that with his incredibad chin and you're guaranteed a decent watch. I don't think anyone hates him per se.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I love Grove because he was beating rear end in one of his fights, the round ended and I turned to my friends and said, "he is going to lose in the next round". They asked "what, why? that guy is kicking rear end" and I replied, "because he is Kendall Grove and Kendall Grove is an idiot".

He got TKOed in the next round and now my word on MMA is law. Thanks Spyda.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
What kind of wacky round system were they using in the early PRIDEs? I was looking at Pride 2 on wikipedia and came across this.

* Openweight bout: Brazil Royler Gracie vs. Japan Yuhi Sano

Gracie defeated Sano by submission (armbar) at 33:14 of round 1.

And this.

* Middleweight bout: Brazil Renzo Gracie vs. Japan Sanae Kikuta

Gracie defeated Kikuta by submission (guillotine choke) at 0:43 of round 6.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

The Gracies pretty much got to fight under whatever rules they wanted at the early PRIDE events

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Fentry posted:

The Gracies pretty much got to fight under whatever rules they wanted at the early MMA events

Because they literally ran that poo poo.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

And if they ever lost a fight it was clearly because of the rules, and another fight with even more bizarre rules was required.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Either the rules or it was OK because they used BJJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah. The Gracie's liked no time limit/infinite round fights. Sometimes they'd get rid of the refs too, so you could only lose by tapout or by having your corner throw in the towel. I'm pretty sure Royce has a couple of draw's on his record from cases where he negotiated the fight to have no judges.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 31, 2011