Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Raikiri posted:

Here's mine (some of it, anyway... my desk is about 11 foot long).

Where'd you get the desk? How much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
It's a solid oak worktop that I cut to size, added some cable management to and fitted to my wall plus a couple of trestles.

Was £150 from an eBay seller delivered.

Some older pics here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=93#post386242776

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Raikiri posted:

Here's mine (some of it, anyway... my desk is about 11 foot long).

It's lovely but aren't you afraid of over-stressing your fish (assuming you have any) with the vibrations from the speaker?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
There aren't any in there now, but when there are anything below 85hz goes the sub which is nowhere near the speakers/tank and I use headphones if I'm gonna have it loud.

I'm also going to move the speaker over a few feet just to make sure.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 26, 2011

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Raikiri posted:

There aren't any in there now, but when there are anything below 85hz goes the sub which is nowhere near the speakers/tank and I use headphones if I'm gonna have it loud.

I'm also going to move the speaker over a few feet just to make sure.

Got it. Also, what headphone amp is that and how much do you like it/think it's necessary? I'm thinking of putting together a an amplified passive speaker rig for my desk and I'm wondering about headphone amps.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Well mine acts as both a headphone amp and USB DAC so it negates the need for a soundcard, but there's a definite improvement over using my amps built in jack.

It's an AUNE one btw, there's a few sellers on eBay and they should cost about £100. There may be better available now though, I've had it a while.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So then I'm correct in assuming you run it in preamp mode to a dedicated amp for the speakers?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
It has 2 modes, 'A' where it just acts a a digital to analogue and 'D' where it's both a headphone amp and DAC.

code:
                > Cambridge Audio Azur > Sub > Mordaunt Shorts
 USB > AUNE DAC 
                > DT770/HD555 'phones

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just to add to the continued questions...

1) is that an "intel inside Mac" mousemat?! Where is it from?

2) interesting wallpaper - what's that from?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My wife and I spent much of the weekend cleaning up and organizing my office / storage room. We run a business out of our house so I spend lots of time in here and the way it was organized made it pretty depressing, we decluttered, reorganized, and brightened the space up. It may still look cluttered due to the clear storage bins and the power strip, but it is a huge improvement.

Pre-emptive answers to possible questions:

Storage-System/Desk Structure: IKEA BRODER, they no longer make the galvanized desktops that we are using as shelves, when they did they charged $40 apiece for them. We happened to be at an IKEA when they clearanced them out and picked up 20 for 49 cents each.

Desktop: Tempered glass, Architectural salvage. Not even remotely flat but you can't tell without putting a straightedge on it.

Keyboard: IBM Model M-13 with the nub mouse built in. I need to get a ps2->USB adapter to use the nub mouse. A friend of mine gave me this for my birthday several years ago and I just now got around to using it (it was NIB). Totally amazing and I see why people pay so much for these or the dasKeyboard.

What's with all the time clocks? when I don't have much to do and want to make a little cash on the side I fix them. Been too busy to mess with them lately.

Seriously dude, do you really need that much storage? We live in a very DE-cluttered house, all the odds and ends need to go somewhere. The clear bins make storing things in bins much less of a hassle. The downside of course is the visual clutter.

Isn't your desk a bit high? Yes, I sit at perch height, similar to the height a draftsman would sit at a drafting table, my desktop is 36 3/4" high, my seat is 28" high. My knees nor my hips are ever at an angle sharper than 30 degrees. I used to constantly have lower back problems, I changed my seating height after reading some ergonomics texts in school and my back problems disappeared.

The undermount lights on the wooden shelf shine right into my eyes, so I need to go out to the garage and cut a 2" strip of oak to mount on the front edge of the shelf so that I can use them.

There is evidence of both my occupation (vague/obscure) and an extremely nerdy hobby in the picture as well.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

GEMorris posted:

My wife and I spent much of the weekend cleaning up and organizing my office / storage room. We run a business out of our house so I spend lots of time in here and the way it was organized made it pretty depressing, we decluttered, reorganized, and brightened the space up. It may still look cluttered due to the clear storage bins and the power strip, but it is a huge improvement.

Pre-emptive answers to possible questions:

Storage-System/Desk Structure: IKEA BRODER, they no longer make the galvanized desktops that we are using as shelves, when they did they charged $40 apiece for them. We happened to be at an IKEA when they clearanced them out and picked up 20 for 49 cents each.

Desktop: Tempered glass, Architectural salvage. Not even remotely flat but you can't tell without putting a straightedge on it.

Keyboard: IBM Model M-13 with the nub mouse built in. I need to get a ps2->USB adapter to use the nub mouse. A friend of mine gave me this for my birthday several years ago and I just now got around to using it (it was NIB). Totally amazing and I see why people pay so much for these or the dasKeyboard.

What's with all the time clocks? when I don't have much to do and want to make a little cash on the side I fix them. Been too busy to mess with them lately.

Seriously dude, do you really need that much storage? We live in a very DE-cluttered house, all the odds and ends need to go somewhere. The clear bins make storing things in bins much less of a hassle. The downside of course is the visual clutter.

Isn't your desk a bit high? Yes, I sit at perch height, similar to the height a draftsman would sit at a drafting table, my desktop is 36 3/4" high, my seat is 28" high. My knees nor my hips are ever at an angle sharper than 30 degrees. I used to constantly have lower back problems, I changed my seating height after reading some ergonomics texts in school and my back problems disappeared.

The undermount lights on the wooden shelf shine right into my eyes, so I need to go out to the garage and cut a 2" strip of oak to mount on the front edge of the shelf so that I can use them.

There is evidence of both my occupation (vague/obscure) and an extremely nerdy hobby in the picture as well.

Photographer for profession and warhammer.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
IKEA Broder, yeah!

I have a similar setup, but with one of the 8' IKEA countertops as the desk surface. Amazingly sturdy and functional for the price.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

HKR posted:

Photographer for profession and warhammer.

Hah, I think my picture should have ruled that one out.

The figures are warmachine (retribution) but very very close, and just as nerdy but with a better aesthetic.

The film cabinet is for holding unexposed photopolymer plate material. The warmachine figures are sitting on a galley tray, I'm a letterpress printer.

therunningman posted:

IKEA Broder, yeah!

I have a similar setup, but with one of the 8' IKEA countertops as the desk surface. Amazingly sturdy and functional for the price.

Man, Ikea NUREMAR and Beech LAGAN (formerly PRONOMEN) countertops are the best drat deal in that store. I have the Beech LAGAN countertops all over my pressroom and kitchen, and a giant NUREMAR slab on a frame I made is my dining room table.

If I hadn't gotten this slab of glass for $5 I would have a LAGAN desktop in here as well.

Like I always say, IKEA is not a furniture store, it is a parts bin.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Just to add to the continued questions...

1) is that an "intel inside Mac" mousemat?! Where is it from?

2) interesting wallpaper - what's that from?

No problem, yes it is an Intel inside mat, a fellow goon who I know from another forum (mrk on here) sent it to me because my Lian Li one was buggered. I think he got them from a trade show of some sort.

Archer! I just put the season one and 2 posters together and cropped to fit.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 28, 2011

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Sorry for the terrible wallpaper it looks amazing in person with the detail (just to show off how good the monitor looks)

Getting a computer desk very soon...

Incompl
Mar 23, 2008

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Sorry for the terrible wallpaper it looks amazing in person with the detail (just to show off how good the monitor looks)

Getting a computer desk very soon...

Nice, I have the same banana stand :cheers:

Pretty solid isn't it?

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
This is my horrible set up. I broke the screen on my laptop on accident and I don't have the money to fix it. So I plugged an HDMI cable to my TV and because of that, my laptop is no officially a desktop. Works like a charm.

I thought the poster was hilarious, because I'm a child, so I hung it up. Aside from it being funny, I think it's a pretty cool picture.

Tailwhoop fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 30, 2011

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

Incompl posted:

Nice, I have the same banana stand :cheers:

Pretty solid isn't it?

It's pretty awesome hahaha!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tailwhoop posted:

This is my horrible set up. I broke the screen on my laptop on accident and I don't have the money to fix it. So I plugged an HDMI cable to my TV and because of that, my laptop is no officially a desktop. Works like a charm.

I thought the poster was hilarious, because I'm a child, so I hung it up. Aside from it being funny, I think it's a pretty cool picture.

Your laptop looks like my work laptop! Sony VGN-FW?

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.

Moey posted:

Your laptop looks like my work laptop! Sony VGN-FW?

Yep! :D VGN-FW490. It's awesome when it's not a desktop.

B-Hazard
Apr 2, 2011
The quality isn't the best though because it is dark.

Only got this setup recently.

B-Hazard fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 2, 2011

thenickmix
Mar 4, 2007

B-Hazard posted:

Is that your bed on the left? That's called economy of space right there lol.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Which piece of the Galant is that? And physical measurements?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

Which piece of the Galant is that? And physical measurements?

Looks like the Corner Right.

Product dimensions
Width: 63 "
Depth: 47 1/4 "
Min. height: 23 5/8 "
Max. height: 32 1/4 "

Width: 160 cm
Depth: 120 cm
Min. height: 60 cm
Max. height: 82 cm

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29807035

Exactly the one I want.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

B-Hazard posted:

Is that a Pendulum mousepad on the desk???

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

B-Hazard posted:

:gonk: please tell me you'll be getting curtains or at least blinds! It's like a gaping abyss, I could never sleep with that!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Chopper posted:

:gonk: please tell me you'll be getting curtains or at least blinds! It's like a gaping abyss, I could never sleep with that!

Huh, I don't have blinds or curtains either. Laziness I guess.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
Just finished doing some spring cleaning/rearranging.

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 3, 2011

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Awesome, please link me to that desktop. I've got a friend who's a huge frog lover would love to have that for him.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Nebulis01 posted:

Awesome, please link me to that desktop. I've got a friend who's a huge frog lover would love to have that for him.

It's not the highest quality, but I'm a fan.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/pictures2004/images/Wallpaper03Large.jpg

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Home:

Work:

I like screens.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Anjow posted:

Home:

Work:

I like screens.

And old, buckling spring keyboards too, apparently

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ClosedBSD posted:

And old, buckling spring keyboards too, apparently

When you want to annoy your co-workers and significant other, nothing else will do!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Centipeed posted:

When you want to annoy your co-workers and significant other, nothing else will do!

If you ever get a chance to grab an M-13, go for it. Buckling springs and a nub mouse, its a little slice of IBM heaven on your desktop.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
More Ikea Galants please. I'm trying to find a used one on Craigslist and it's a bit of a pain.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Modern Pragmatist posted:

what computer is that all the way on the right? It looks awesome.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Modus Trollens posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Classic

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Modus Trollens posted:

Oh god how old are you?! :gonk:

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh god how old are you?! :gonk:

To be fair, the Mac Classic has been off the range for 17 years.

I only recognised it because there was one in my intermediate (grade 7) class and it was already old (this was '95 or so).

e: Basically what I'm saying is if you can recognise a mac classic, you're probably old. :smug:

(I dunno if that's the right smilie to use since I just classified myself as old. Whatever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thel posted:

To be fair, the Mac Classic has been off the range for 17 years.
It's still one of the most instantly recognizable computers ever made for anyone who was around computers in the early 90s.