Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Magnus Condomus posted:

Dwayne McDuffie was the the guy behind Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, and those two seasons where pretty terrible. He took out basically everything that made the first one fun. Generator Rex is infinitely better than those two seasons of Ben 10.

Though now Dwayne's kinda kicked the bucket, so who knows how things'll turn out.

Wait. So who did the first season then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

IanJ posted:

It's not like these shows were created in some awful binary where the creation of Problem Solverz meant that Sym-Bionic Titan's crew had to all die in a fire

I think it's great that CN had the balls to give Paperrad a show for kids on their network. Even if PS isn't a success it shows the risks that theyre willing to take to find the next great thing. Imagine that, stodgy tv executives willing to take risks... it's almost unheard of. But everywhere I go I see people making GBS threads on it.

I get that you don't like it but still it's weird how people complain about shows all being the same/mediocre but when something comes along to challenge the samey-ness on TV people reserve all of their bile for it because it looks weird

I'm as happy that CN is adding a new actual cartoon to the lineup as everyone else, but I'd rather have more episodes of Chowder and Flapjack then the CN execs taking "risks".

Seriously, I just saw an episode of Chowder the other day and it was the funniest goddamn thing why did you get rid of it whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!!?

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton

raditts posted:

I don't believe the people who added Hole in the Wall and other lovely kids' gameshows that Nickelodeon would've turned down in the 90s to the CN lineup are acting in the interests of creativity or "taking risks."

There's a pretty big difference between the people overseeing original animated content(like Adventure Time), the people creating the live-action shows(Like Tower Prep), and the people who acquire shows to fill in programming holes(Like Johnny Test). The original animated content coming out of CN continues to be some of the best cartoons on TV imho.

I concede that some of those productions are more gutsy than others, but it still astounds me that something as unusual as CN's current primetime lineup is on TV nowadays. CN took a risk with its programming and it's paying off. I'm not saying you have to enjoy Problem Solverz, my only point was that its cool that they had the balls to make it.

Also what I've seen of it is pretty funny and the teaser on Youtube isn't really the best example of the show's writing anyway.

Amorphous Blob posted:

I'm as happy that CN is adding a new actual cartoon to the lineup as everyone else, but I'd rather have more episodes of Chowder and Flapjack then the CN execs taking "risks".

Well we'd all like more Chowder and Flapjack but the crews of those shows have moved on by now. Their spirit lives on!

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Wait. So who did the first season then?

Man Of Action, I believe. Wikipedia isn't helping me out much on this one though.

Man Of Action is a collaborative group including Duncan Rouleau, Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, and Steven T. Seagle. They came up with the original concept, and as I recall, wrote most of the key episodes. It's been a while since I've seen the original series though, so don't hold me to it.

They also created and do key writing for Generator Rex and are shopping another show around for a network: The 7cs.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
When I lived in LA last year I met the father of one of the line producers of Chowder. I almost got to go to Cartoon Network to get a personal tour but that fell though due to a company shake up. :(

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I kinda liked the Problem Solverz ep on YouTube :shobon:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sockser posted:

I kinda liked the Problem Solverz ep on YouTube :shobon:

What sort of drugs are you on?

I'm just wondering what it takes to make that watchable.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
Did anyone see the "Neon Knome" pilot for Adult Swim? I thought that was great, too.

IanJ fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 24, 2011

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Like I said, I hold out a little bit of hope that Problem Solverz will blow my mind and it will be awesome. I do like that they're taking risks. I don't imagine anything like Regular Show would have gotten on the air if CN weren't.

JethroMcB posted:

I can't wait to see 20 hours worth of commercials for Level Up and then have it premiere, fail and never be heard of again, (Note that "Tower Prep" is not on that returning shows list.) Scripted live action programming is never going to be your forte, CN.

On that note, is any of the live-action stuff good? I don't know whether they just program it all at times when I'm not watching TV or what, but the extent of my experience with that stuff is stumbling onto one episode of "Dude, What Would Happen?"

It... wasn't very good, but maybe it was just the one episode?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

TwoPair posted:

On that note, is any of the live-action stuff good? I don't know whether they just program it all at times when I'm not watching TV or what, but the extent of my experience with that stuff is stumbling onto one episode of "Dude, What Would Happen?"

It... wasn't very good, but maybe it was just the one episode?

I really enjoyed Tower Prep, and I'm sad that it's not getting a second season. Unnatural History was also fairly entertaining, though lacking in plot. Their "reality" type shows are pretty bad though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

IRQ posted:

What sort of drugs are you on?

I'm just wondering what it takes to make that watchable.

Too much time in the Newgrounds flash portal when I was 14, I think

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Just want to point out that the CN who "is taking risks" canceled Megas XLR. Nothing shall ever make me not frown at them. Nothing. Not even if they restarted it. I'd still frown at them for cancelling it in the first place.

tere
Oct 26, 2010

Neo Helbeast posted:

Just want to point out that the CN who "is taking risks" canceled Megas XLR. Nothing shall ever make me not frown at them. Nothing. Not even if they restarted it. I'd still frown at them for cancelling it in the first place.

Add Chowder and flap jack to that list.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Man, it was 2005. That was like, 10 years ago or something :v:. But seriously, times change.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Having gone back to watch it? I think it was a mercy killing. The show had a great premise, but failed to go anywhere new after the first few episodes.

Same goes with how much I liked Flapjack too. After a while something about the show just didn't 'click' with me anymore. I think Adventure Time took the mantle of the show Flapjack was trying to be. I do like that it got a rather sweet 'goodbye' episode though, most shows dont get the luxury.

Chowder getting canned hurt though.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 25, 2011

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Wasn't it the creator's decision to end the show?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Neo Helbeast posted:

Megas' second season was an embarrassment. Its scripts were just mindless catchphrases like some terrible 19080s remnant. Thats not why it was canceled though, of course. It was canceled for ratings too low to justify the show's costs.

Anyways, its a shame about Symbionic Titan but who didn't see this coming (if not this season then at least next season) the show just didn't find an audience and was preforming worst in its time-slot against a bunch of shows that cost less than it to make.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

tere posted:

Add Chowder and flap jack to that list.
How many seasons did those shows get?

If it was like four than I'd be satisfied because I feel like most shows can be comfortably ended in four or five seasons.

If less then I'm pissed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with Megas was that it had an interesting premise but was hamstrung by the main character being a dick who never learned or grew.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with Megas was that it had an interesting premise but was hamstrung by the main character being a dick who never learned or grew.

Exactly. Almost all of the characters were horribly static.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Cliff Racer posted:

Anyways, its a shame about Symbionic Titan but who didn't see this coming (if not this season then at least next season) the show just didn't find an audience and was preforming worst in its time-slot against a bunch of shows that cost less than it to make.
I read that it was doing well in terms of ratings just wasn't marketable enough for merchandise/toys.

CN makes some stupid decisions sometimes. They greenlight Ben 10 for 30 million seasons but kill Teen Titans at the height of its popularity when it was one of their highest rated shows. I can only imagine the same applied to Justice League which could have easily lasted at least one more season. I know the creators were ready to end it a season prior to the end, but drat I still miss that show. The last season had some of the best episodes (Flash eps are the best).

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 25, 2011

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Magnus Condomus posted:

Exactly. Almost all of the characters were horribly static.

See, that's almost exactly why I liked it. It seemed almost like a trope ontop of a trope. The episode where they visis the "giant robot world" is probally my favorite episode just because of how many anime references they stick in there. To me the show wasn't supposed to be taken seriously; it was making fun of the mecha genre in general. Which Gurren Laggen did four years later and was considered the second coming of Jesus on 4chan.

Ice Blue posted:

I read that it was doing well in terms of ratings just wasn't marketable enough for merchandise/toys.

CN makes some stupid decisions sometimes. They greenlight Ben 10 for 30 million seasons but kill Teen Titans at the height of its popularity when it was one of their highest rated shows. I can only imagine the same applied to Justice League which could have easily lasted at least one more season. I know the creators were ready to end it a season prior to the end, but drat I still miss that show. The last season had some of the best episodes (Flash eps are the best).

Justice League had a lot of limitations put on it to keep it kid friendly, I'm not sure how much longer they could have continued without becoming edgy enough that it would have to be moved to a later time slot. And, yeah the Flash episodes were the best...right after The Question episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I will never forgive them for that stupid 52 episode rule they had and the fact that Samurai Jack never got a proper ending.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ice Blue posted:

CN was just saying that to be nice. It was last in Big 3 ratings for its hour despite costing more than the other four shows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cliff Racer posted:

Moving it to Wednesday can't have helped.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Neo Helbeast posted:

See, that's almost exactly why I liked it. It seemed almost like a trope ontop of a trope. The episode where they visis the "giant robot world" is probally my favorite episode just because of how many anime references they stick in there. To me the show wasn't supposed to be taken seriously; it was making fun of the mecha genre in general. Which Gurren Laggen did four years later and was considered the second coming of Jesus on 4chan.

I'm fine with satire, but I still like character development throughout the story. Also, I didn't really like Gurren Laggen. Really, the only Mecha show I've watched all the way through was Eureka Seven.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The new Superman-centered episode of Brave and the Bold was awesome, referencing a bunch of crazy Silver-Age stories and reenacting a few of the comic covers featured on Superdickery.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 26, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

The new Superman-centered episode of Brave and the Bold was awesome, referencing a bunch of crazy Silver-Age stories and reenacting a few of the comic covers featured on Superdickery.

The best one was replicating the crazy throne and crown of King Superman.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Was I the last person to know that they're trying to revive Looney Tunes again?

I'm really torn because on one hand the previews make it looks like a horrible abortion of a TV show. On the other hand I laughed pretty hard at some of the random lines and delivery in the previews.

I feel like this would be good writing for any show that wasn't Looney Tunes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"Are you telling me that this man, the PRESIDENT OF MEXICO is Batman? :confused: " had me laughing for a minute though.

Also the guy who does the Bugs voice is supposedly one of Mel Blanc's successors? Because the voice was AWFUL. It felt like the only resemblance was that it was high pitched. Maybe he's just out of practice or something.

In general I really like dry sarcastic wit, so the jokes could be a hit. I just don't know if I will be able to get over the little stuff that seems like it will feel all wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Personally I think they should let Looney Tunes stay as the classics they are and quit with all the attempts at revival. It was a product of its time and I don't think that's really something you can bring back. I would say that Disney has managed to still effectively whore out Mickey and co. but then I can't really think of anything groundbreaking they've done with those characters anytime in recent memory either.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I would say that Disney has managed to still effectively whore out Mickey and co. but then I can't really think of anything groundbreaking they've done with those characters anytime in recent memory either.

Well, they might be doing something sooner than you think. Also, this might fall too far into the "whoring out" side, but how about Kingdom Hearts?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its odd that the article says first feature length film, as Mickey has been in several. Granted none of them were memorable, which speaks to the problem of current Mickey not being all that great a character. To be honest, with the exception of Kingdom Hearts I can't think of any recent/ongoing projects that make use of Mickey in an unusual way either (and no Epic Mickey doesn't count, they managed to make that quite bland and inoffensive.)

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
So Mighty B just showed up on Instant. I've been curious about it for a while and I've been really happy with the few episodes I've seen. Between a show about a girl that had an episode dedicated to farts and some of the goofy slapstick stuff going on in Ponies I feel like some weird gender norms are breaking down and I'm kinda getting a kick out of it.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Cliff Racer posted:

Its odd that the article says first feature length film, as Mickey has been in several. Granted none of them were memorable, which speaks to the problem of current Mickey not being all that great a character. To be honest, with the exception of Kingdom Hearts I can't think of any recent/ongoing projects that make use of Mickey in an unusual way either (and no Epic Mickey doesn't count, they managed to make that quite bland and inoffensive.)

Mickey's never appeared in his own stand-alone theatrical release. The closest is his starring role in a retelling of "Jack and the Beanstalk" which was part of the package film Fun and Fancy Free. According to Burny Mattinson, who is behind the Mickey feature idea, Disney had an idea in development as far back as the 1980s with the key Disney trio (Mickey, Donald, Goofy) as the Three Musketeers, which eventually became a direct-to-video feature directed by Two Stupid Dogs creator Donovan Cook. This is probably the best modern project Disney's attempted to do using the characters. It's been a while since I saw it, but I recall it being actually funny and entertaining, with a few self-referential gags and some catchy musical numbers based on familiar classical pieces. (As far as modern revivals of the Disney characters go, there was also Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse, which was a pretty good series.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mobo85 posted:

Mickey's never appeared in his own stand-alone theatrical release. The closest is his starring role in a retelling of "Jack and the Beanstalk" which was part of the package film Fun and Fancy Free. According to Burny Mattinson, who is behind the Mickey feature idea, Disney had an idea in development as far back as the 1980s with the key Disney trio (Mickey, Donald, Goofy) as the Three Musketeers, which eventually became a direct-to-video feature directed by Two Stupid Dogs creator Donovan Cook. This is probably the best modern project Disney's attempted to do using the characters. It's been a while since I saw it, but I recall it being actually funny and entertaining, with a few self-referential gags and some catchy musical numbers based on familiar classical pieces. (As far as modern revivals of the Disney characters go, there was also Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse, which was a pretty good series.)

I loved that 3 Musketeers movie, except for the songs. Every time one started I wanted to tear my ears off. They just didn't work to me. I would have rather them done original ones instead of just putting lyrics to the classical songs.

I would love to see a full theatrical movie STARRING Mickey. He isn't used enough, though I think in recent years they are starting to realize "Okay we need to do something with the freaking MASCOT of our company." His role was pretty awesome in Kingdom Hearts, especially when he whipped off his cloak and went charging into battle, for instance. House of Mouse used Mickey quite a bit, and his cartoons were entertaining. He's a good character that kind of gets pushed to the side, I think, because he's considered the more goody two shoes character I guess, compared to Donald or Goofy. I go to Magic Kingdom a lot, and lately I've noticed them really showing off Mickey more. There's a pirate version of him in the gift shop of Pirates of the Caribbean. He's all over the art of Disney store. Etc.

On a similar note, if no one here has ever seen Philharmagic at Disney, take a trip there and go see it. It's so good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just saw a commercial for that new Looney Tunes show and man, Bugs looked wrong. He was too short and oddly colored.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Bugs is the only character redesign that looks wrong to me. His head in particular looks too large for his body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Anybuddy got a screencap of dat Bugs?