Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was a freshman in high school and was SO excited for Raw/Nitro that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I was in my first year of university, deciding that I didn't want to ever do math again in my life. I hadn't regularly watched wrestling in about a year when I heard about the sale.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

For the record, that Heenan picture is from '08 or '09. Sure, it's not pretty, but let's not write his epitaph yet, either; it didn't beat him then, and now the cancer's in remission if I'm remembering correctly and the jaw infection is gone, too. He's still alive and kicking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tzirean posted:

For the record, that Heenan picture is from '08 or '09. Sure, it's not pretty, but let's not write his epitaph yet, either; it didn't beat him then, and now the cancer's in remission if I'm remembering correctly and the jaw infection is gone, too. He's still alive and kicking.

I would be happy to learn that he'd decided to hold on and outlive Hulk Hogan just so he could dance on his grave.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

tzirean posted:

The last bad luck story I heard about Bobby was that he had a bad fall last year, broke, I think, his hip and was hospitalized for awhile. It really sucks that someone who seems like such a great guy in an industry filled with so many scumbags keeps catching bad breaks in his latter years.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was about to post something along the lines of "What kind of world do we live in where Bobby Heenan's face is falling apart and Mark Madden hasn't had one heart attack?"

Then I read his Wikipedia page. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Can someone please tell me if he was at Wrestlemania 26? I don't have the DVD with me at the moment so I can't check for myself.

He was backstage with Mean Gene and I believe they implied that they were swinging with Moolah and Mae Young. Or am I thinking of a different Wrestlemania or inserting him in place of someone else?

Because he didn't look too bad at all from memory with all things considered, he'd definitely aged quite a bit and lost a lot of weight but he looked nowhere near as bad as in that picture.

He truly is one of a kind, an amazing entertainer.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 27, 2011

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

Can someone please tell me if he was at Wrestlemania 26? I don't have the DVD with me at the moment so I can't check for myself.

He was backstage with Mean Gene and I believe they implied that they were swinging with Moolah and Mae Young. Or am I thinking of a different Wrestlemania or inserting him in place of someone else?

Because he didn't look too bad at all from memory with all things considered, he'd definitely aged quite a bit and lost a lot of weight but he looked nowhere near as bad as in that picture.

He truly is one of a kind, an amazing entertainer.

It was XX when he and Gene were doing the poo poo with Moolah and Mae, cause Coach was the one who caught them and he was on orders from Eric Bischoff to try and find Undertaker, who was re-debuting that night.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Sue Denim posted:

The WCW 2001 PPV's aren't as bad as you'd think considering the previous year and they're kind of interesting to see because they're heading in a different direction to WCW typically with an abundance of new stars out of the Power Plant who were employed for a couple of months before the buy out. Whenever I see a WCW 2001 PPV's there's faces I'd totally forgotten about that I wonder what's become of.

Yeah, by that point WCW had completely rinsed their hands of Russo and were attempting to push some new stars (including a young AJ Styles) and focus on exciting in-ring matches again (at least, that's the impression I got). Who knows what could have happened if AOL Time Warner didn't axe WCW programming and Bischoff's deal actually went through.

God, has it really been ten years? I was in the middle of Grade 10 (first year of high school in Alberta) and I remember being shocked when the WWF purchase made the wrestling news sites. I knew WCW was bleeding but I never thought it would have ended up with Vince on Nitro's last broadcast. Then I started getting excited about the very real possibility of a WCW invasion and we all know how that ended up.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, by that point WCW had completely rinsed their hands of Russo and were attempting to push some new stars (including a young AJ Styles) and focus on exciting in-ring matches again (at least, that's the impression I got).

Not quite. Basically Bischoff retook booking control and was pulling the stars off television for a planned reboot after he finalized his purchase of the company. It wasn't so much that they were pushing, say, Air Raid as that they just needed meaningless bodies to fill the midcard while Scott Steiner put every top guy out of action.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

Not quite. Basically Bischoff retook booking control and was pulling the stars off television for a planned reboot after he finalized his purchase of the company. It wasn't so much that they were pushing, say, Air Raid as that they just needed meaningless bodies to fill the midcard while Scott Steiner put every top guy out of action.
One thing Bischoff always did right was ignore the undercard. I know that sounds retarded but it really worked to elevate guys as it created an environment where the cream would actually rise to the top instead of being booked into the ground. If they'd've just been able to pull the trigger on guys like Jericho when they made it to the precipice I have no doubt they'd still be around.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

LividLiquid posted:

I know that sounds retarded but it really worked to elevate guys as it created an environment where the cream would actually rise to the top instead of being booked into the ground.

Except they booked every single one of them into the ground once they rose to the top.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jeffersonlives posted:

Except they booked every single one of them into the ground once they rose to the top.

WCW: Strange, the only thing that changed between you being a very over midcarder and being a joke in the main event is us taking an interest in booking you. I think it's pretty clear what the problem here is.... you're just not a main event wrestler! Thanks for wasting our time, rear end in a top hat!
*pays wrestler six figure salary*

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, by that point WCW had completely rinsed their hands of Russo and were attempting to push some new stars (including a young AJ Styles) and focus on exciting in-ring matches again (at least, that's the impression I got).
Was AJ the guy who seemed like the leader and was the mouth piece for the Natural Born Thrillers?

Perry Normal posted:

It was XX when he and Gene were doing the poo poo with Moolah and Mae, cause Coach was the one who caught them and he was on orders from Eric Bischoff to try and find Undertaker, who was re-debuting that night.

That's really odd because I have no recollection of watching XX. Thanks for the information though. It's a bit sad, I thought that the Heenan I saw there was him recovering from the therapy. Although he's starting to look better from a couple of more recent pictures I've seen of him, he seems to be growing some hair back and putting on a bit of weight.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

Was AJ the guy who seemed like the leader and was the mouth piece for the Natural Born Thrillers?

Nope, that was "Above Average" Mike Sanders.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AJ was Air Styles, teaming with Air Paris as Air Raid in the cruiserweight tag team division Bischoff formed to fill time. He was there for the last couple months, mostly on the secondary shows.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Triple-Kan posted:

Nope, that was "Above Average" Mike Sanders.
For some strange reason I wonder what has become of him whenever I see an old WCW show, no idea why I'm curious.

I was watching an old WCW PPV a while ago though and couldn't remember his name and it was really bugging me, so thanks for that.

I wonder what would have become of the Natural Born Thrillers of WCW was continued, WCW seemed to really want to push them.

It's funny, on the PWR podcast they frequently have to remind people what WCW was, they even had a caller call in the show just to ask what WCW was.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Sue Denim posted:

For some strange reason I wonder what has become of him whenever I see an old WCW show, no idea why I'm curious.
Because Mike Sanders owned.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Because Mike Sanders owned.

HHH disagrees

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

That's really odd because I have no recollection of watching XX. Thanks for the information though. It's a bit sad, I thought that the Heenan I saw there was him recovering from the therapy. Although he's starting to look better from a couple of more recent pictures I've seen of him, he seems to be growing some hair back and putting on a bit of weight.

You probably saw it on youtube or something. Either way, good to know Bobby's looking a bit better these days, that picture of him with Bundy (who still look like he did in 1995) was the most recent one that I'd seen.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
AJ Styles was really sloppy in WCW compared to his later work in TNA but I guess he was pretty young at the time too.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

AJ was Air Styles, teaming with Air Paris as Air Raid in the cruiserweight tag team division Bischoff formed to fill time. He was there for the last couple months, mostly on the secondary shows.

WCW 2001 had a lot of random cruiserweight poo poo to fill time and while some of the matches were incredibly sloppy, they were a lot of fun.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

You cut off the second part of my quote where that's what I said.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
did nitro get pared back down from 3 hours a week towards the end?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Monkeycheese posted:

If I remember right it did and that was yet another contributing factor to it being killed off by the network. I think I remember something about them being upset that it was one less hour for them to sell advertisements or something. I could be wrong though. The death spiral of WCW is filled with so much bullshit that it's hard to tell what is truth and what isn't.

That and you've got WWE releasing documentaries about it that leave a lot of things out.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Monkeycheese posted:

Nitro got cut down to 2 hours from the first show of 2000 due to the best efforts of Vince Russo. Russo felt that by cutting down to 2 hours (and thus only having one go up against raw) the average rating would go up thus making it appear that the show was on an upswing. What he didn't take into consideration was that by removing a whole hour of tv, they lost out on an hours worth of advertising.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skinty McEdger posted:

Nitro got cut down to 2 hours from the first show of 2000 due to the best efforts of Vince Russo. Russo felt that by cutting down to 2 hours (and thus only having one go up against raw) the average rating would go up thus making it appear that the show was on an upswing. What he didn't take into consideration was that by removing a whole hour of tv, they lost out on an hours worth of advertising.

And even then, the ratings were in the shitter.

I noticed when rereading Death of WCW that one thing nobody ever talks about, including that book and this thread, is Eric Bischoff's complete hatred for tag team wrestling. People rail on WWE for how it treats its tag teams and they're right, but you can still say that Vince is downplaying tag team wrestling. It's to an insane degree, but it's still downplayed. Bischoff completely killed it. No champions or anything. He simply killed the division. He openly admitted in interviews that he thought tag team wrestling was lame and didn't want it to come back at all.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

You cut off the second part of my quote where that's what I said.

Well no, you said they didn't pull the trigger on those guys. It was far far far far beyond not just pulling the trigger on guys, they were actively and intentionally burying anyone who got over past their push level, from Chris Jericho to Adam Bomb/Wrath.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fair enough. I thought that was implied.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gavok posted:

And even then, the ratings were in the shitter.

I noticed when rereading Death of WCW that one thing nobody ever talks about, including that book and this thread, is Eric Bischoff's complete hatred for tag team wrestling. People rail on WWE for how it treats its tag teams and they're right, but you can still say that Vince is downplaying tag team wrestling. It's to an insane degree, but it's still downplayed. Bischoff completely killed it. No champions or anything. He simply killed the division. He openly admitted in interviews that he thought tag team wrestling was lame and didn't want it to come back at all.

Didn't the tag belts stay on the Outsiders for like the entirety of the nWo run?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They might have had two belts, the US and International and the Heat feuded with the Steiners at the beginning for a while. In fact i'm sure that the Outsiders were tag champs while that was going on.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Just as far as my childhood memories go, they were tag team champions (or contenders) for loving everrrrr.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

LordPants posted:

They might have had two belts, the US and International and the Heat feuded with the Steiners at the beginning for a while. In fact i'm sure that the Outsiders were tag champs while that was going on.

There was the World TT and the US TT for awhile in the late 80's/early 90's. Yeah, The Outsiders were champs for a long time, and would hardly ever defend them unless they had nothing else to do, and it would be a 4 minute squash against The Flock or Dancin' Fools. Then they broke up The Steiners and Harlem Heat and replaced them with super teams containing Sting, Giant, Luger, DDP depending on who was a face at the moment.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 26, 2018

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I love that Jimmy Hart even now wears his Matthew Lesko-esque crazy jackets and looks completely normal in them.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

M1TCH3LL posted:

Dec 2009, to be exact.

A newer picture, although only four/five months newer:

I love how Baron Von Raschke looks the same as he did 40 years ago.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
who's in between Jimmy and Barron Von Raschke

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The American Dream posted:

who's in between Jimmy and Barron Von Raschke

Dory Funk?

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

M1TCH3LL posted:

Dec 2009, to be exact.

God drat I forgot how much I loved that Hogan shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I love that Jimmy Hart even now wears his Matthew Lesko-esque crazy jackets and looks completely normal in them.

I think at this point Jimmy Hart looks weirder in normal clothes than he does in a crazy jacket.