Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

sholin posted:

You only pay once for it to be setup, so $10. But that's a hilarious rip off, all it takes to use Google Apps for domains is a couple DNS records...

It's not a ripoff, we aren't selling Google Apps since it is free. The $10 just covers the setup of DNS records and the creation of the Google Apps account and configuring the services in Google Apps. It takes about 15 minutes so $10 is fair for someone that is completely clueless about DNS and MX Records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

DarkLotus posted:

It's not a ripoff, we aren't selling Google Apps since it is free. The $10 just covers the setup of DNS records and the creation of the Google Apps account and configuring the services in Google Apps. It takes about 15 minutes so $10 is fair for someone that is completely clueless about DNS and MX Records.

It's some CNAME records, and an MX record, that should not take 15 minutes, in fact if the domain name is supplied when the account is made, it could be entirely automated when the zone is created.

The most configuration I had to do with my Google Apps for Domains was make myself an account.

vvvv I never had to do key stuff, maybe that's new.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 25, 2011

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

sholin posted:

It's some A records, and an MX record, that should not take 15 minutes, in fact if the domain name is supplied when the account is made, it could be entirely automated when the zone is created.

The most configuration I had to do with my Google Apps for Domains was make myself an account.

Don't you have to add the google apps key to show you are the owner of the domain as well? I deal with customers every day and some people are clueless so its not completely ridiculous. Just because its obvious to you doesn't mean everyone wants to be bothered with or can grasp how some of this stuff even works.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
It's a convenience charge. Everyone has the ability to modify their own DNS records and MX records and register for a free account. It's just an option for those too lazy or ignorant. If someone is willing to pay for it so they don't have to do it, is it really a ripoff? You are entitled to your opinion but saying that I am ripping people off isn't very nice!

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Biowarfare posted:

Buy domain elsewhere, I recommend gandi. Google Apps is free, it's a couple MX records.

Why would Lithium be a poor choice for registering domains? Just curious, for future reference.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DreadCthulhu posted:

Why would Lithium be a poor choice for registering domains? Just curious, for future reference.
Rule of thumb for me and a lot of others I know is to just not buy domain and hosting at the same place, due to billing reasons, potential screwups, anything really. If it was some major never-a-negative-review place same would apply

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

DreadCthulhu posted:

As mentioned above, it's nothing about Lithium specifically rather it's best practice to register your domains seperately from your hosting packages. Removes the chance of losing your domain if things with your host go south.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

less than three posted:

As mentioned above, it's nothing about Lithium specifically rather it's best practice to register your domains seperately from your hosting packages. Removes the chance of losing your domain if things with your host go south.
Is there a general consensus on where to get domains from?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

CampingCarl posted:

Everyone will recommend something different. I personally am a big fan of https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ due to their simple interface and nice pricing model.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I use Hover.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

CampingCarl posted:

Namecheap. .com domains are $10.16, with free anonymized whois records. March's coupon of "SPRINGLIGHT" drops domain price to $9.28.
Also free SSL certificate.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?

less than three posted:

I use Hover.

Same. Quick and simple plus their customer service is fantastic.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CampingCarl posted:

General consensus is "anything, even a pile of dog crap, is a better domain registrar than godaddy"

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

General consensus is "anything, even a pile of dog crap, is a better domain registrar than 1and1"

fixed that for you

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed. I would deal with godaddy all day every day just to avoid 1and1.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Comatoast posted:

avoid 1and1.

Their control panel is a loving mystery!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

thegasman2000 posted:

Their labyrinth is a loving mystery!

I think you meant this. Does their control panel still require you to submit a ticket to add DNS records that aren't A?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Biowarfare posted:

I think you meant this. Does their control panel still require you to submit a ticket to add DNS records that aren't A?

I lost my account details... they then decided I never had an account with them even though the whois shows them as holding it... So I told them to kindly gently caress themselves and went to DynaDot Much better and cheap too. I like that I can pay with paypal as an added bonus.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

Nah, you can add anything you want, well, I only really ever do SRV/TXT/CNAME/MX. I will agree that it sucks hard though for something that could be done without all the flashy poo poo. Also, Danica Patrick is not hot.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

CampingCarl posted:

I like Name.com, you can also get free whois privacy through them.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Namecheap also has its own dyndns service which is nice. You can make any domain or subdomain into a dynamic dns host.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are there cheap DNS hosts out there?

All I really want is to host say 5 DNS records. I really don't need any web space or poo poo like that because I just have a couple machines running here and there.

Right now I'm on a shared host, it's only $5 a month but from time to time I can't reach stuff. Not just my website, but DNS records I have through them (mail.bobmorales.com or minecraft.bobmorales.com) won't resolve.

Something like $10/year would rule, if I can add a dinky VPS or get web space that's a plus but I really don't need those features.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wtfdns.com is goon-run and the best cheap of all - free.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
NSNOC are good, despite the appearance of their website.

Added bonus: they are not goon-run

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
https://dns.he.net/

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.
I thought I had a good host, but it turns out I don't. I'm not sure if I'm too demanding (not likely) or if he's just not up to it.

Maybe you guys can recommend someone.

These are my needs:

I have four domains. Two aren't even in use, though they might contain a small site down the road.

One domain is housing a VB community with photo albums, social networks, blogs, and a bunch of other stuff, so that's a pretty substantial site. If I change hosts, I need this site to remain in tact. I'll probably need help doing that to make sure I copy over everything I am supposed to copy over and nothing that I'm not supposed to.

The final domain is one where I want to build a php-based MMO. I've built several HTML pages before and I've worked with some very basic PHP scripts, but never a PHP program itself. I want to try to learn it in the process of building a game however.

I'm not a PHP programmer though. This means I am very likely to either produce grossly inefficient code, or flat out gently caress the whole thing up. For this reason, I'd prefer a host I can call that is understanding of newbies and who has the patience to deal with my rear end-hattery. It'd be a bonus if the host would occasionally be willing to intervene when I seriously trash the place.

In essence, I need a web host that acts a lot like a baby-sitter.

I'm okay with paying for quality, but then I do expect the support and quality to be evident. Despite that I am a newbie and I gently caress things up, I expect my host to not be a newbie and to not gently caress things up. I'm learning on the fly. I expect the host to know its poo poo and stay on top of it.

I have no idea how much traffic I'm going to get. It's a pretty hosed up game idea, and I'm sure I'll gently caress it up even more as I try to program it. I really can't even begin to guess what traffic is going to be for this project, so something with a lot of flexibility is probably in order.

Any recommendations?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Alastor posted:

These are my needs:

You sound like the prototypical managed vps customer. The VPS will give you the dedicated resources you'll need for your notfacebook.com site and plenty left over to dink around with php programming and a couple small sites.

The managed part means when you hose everything you'll have help getting things going again. And they'll also set everything up for you and most likely transfer your stuff over if you ask nice and they don't suck.

If you do go the VPS route make sure you go with an actual not-complete-poo poo company liked WiredTree (note: I do not work for WiredTree). No matter what host you go to make sure you read exactly what they will 'manage' on your managed vps to avoid any surprises.

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.

orphean posted:

You sound like the prototypical managed vps customer. The VPS will give you the dedicated resources you'll need for your notfacebook.com site and plenty left over to dink around with php programming and a couple small sites.

The managed part means when you hose everything you'll have help getting things going again. And they'll also set everything up for you and most likely transfer your stuff over if you ask nice and they don't suck.

If you do go the VPS route make sure you go with an actual not-complete-poo poo company liked WiredTree (note: I do not work for WiredTree). No matter what host you go to make sure you read exactly what they will 'manage' on your managed vps to avoid any surprises.

Thank you!

I'll look into WiredTree today and I'll read the things you told me to read.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Alastor posted:

Thank you!

I'll look into WiredTree today and I'll read the things you told me to read.

Take a look at pair and knownhost while you're at it too

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.

Biowarfare posted:

Will do. I definitely want to shop around. This is the third host I've had that turned out to be a pot-head in his mother's basement (all came as recommendations from friends).

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Biowarfare posted:

These are good hosts too. I just recommended WiredTree because they tend to underpromise and overdeliver on customer service and support and it sounded like you might be utilizing support often :v:

Edit: As an aside does anyone else think WHT is getting more ridiculous these days? Either the frequency of 'What vps provider will give me 8 cores, 100 ips, and 8 gigs of ram for $5/mo' or 'KidsBasement Inc is a SCAM' posts are way higher than they used to be or my tolerance for them has dramatically decreased.

orphean fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 1, 2011

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

orphean posted:

These are good hosts too. I just recommended WiredTree because they tend to underpromise and overdeliver on customer service and support and it sounded like you might be utilizing support often :v:

I was with you on WiredTree until recently. In fact, I've recommended them in this thread before. But their support has gone downhill recently, and they've had some rather bad outages as well. They're probably still a decent hosting company overall, but the level of support isn't what it used to be. I've been with them for 2 years now, so I'm not just going off of one isolated incident or anything. I've actually solved my own tickets when their techs had no clue, which isn't what I pay for managed support for. So I'm moving back to Linode and will just run my server myself again.

All that being said, they're not horrible and are probably still better than a lot of other hosts out there.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

dvgrhl posted:

I was with you on WiredTree until recently. In fact, I've recommended them in this thread before. But their support has gone downhill recently, and they've had some rather bad outages as well. They're probably still a decent hosting company overall, but the level of support isn't what it used to be. I've been with them for 2 years now, so I'm not just going off of one isolated incident or anything. I've actually solved my own tickets when their techs had no clue, which isn't what I pay for managed support for. So I'm moving back to Linode and will just run my server myself again.

All that being said, they're not horrible and are probably still better than a lot of other hosts out there.

In contrast I have a managed VPS with WiredTree and I've found their support to be fantastic. They've responded to every ticket I've opened within minutes and always solved my problems. Perhaps my problems were much easier than yours though. Still, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.
Okay, I gave my current host plenty of time to get his crap together. Today, I decided to start examining the recommendations you all gave, which I sincerely appreciate.

The three I looked at are the three you recommended:

WiredTree looks neat, and I like that they'll help take care of the migration. The one domain I have that already has an established community on it is very important to me. The only issue I have with this company is that they don't offer a "starter kit" version of VPS hosting. The other two have small packages that are in the $30 or less per month range, but WiredTree's "starter kit" is $50 per month. I don't know how many resources I'm going to use because I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm willing to bet that I won't need that much to start off with especially.

The second one, Pair, looks really good. It's got an advanced plan that seems like a perfect fit for what I'm doing. This "starter kit" runs $20 a month, which is about what I pay right now for my basic crap. It also lets me host multiple domain names under the same plan, so I like that because I'm kind of tired of dealing with four separate accounts. I dig this. I don't know if they'll help with migration though.

The last one was Knownhost which also has what I feel is a good starter kit, but I can't find the specifics of their starter kit on their page. It says "starts as low as $25 per month" but I can't see what that rate includes. I also don't know if they'll package all my domains into one account or if they'll help with migration.

I tried to call all three, but none of them have a sales staff on the weekends. I actually consider this a benefit as it kind of tells me it's a real company with real employees that demand weekends off. So it's like... A legit company, as opposed to some kid in his dad's basement.

I left messages with two of the three and we'll see what they say. I think it's Pair that I couldn't leave a message for, and that's the one I like best so far because it had all the specs listed and it seems like an ideal starter kit. My guess though, is that they'll all three be willing to accommodate my pretty basic needs once I ask them. I probably just didn't find the right pages of their web sites.

In any case, I am excited about switching hosts now instead of scared shitless that I am making yet another bad hosting decision.

Thanks, Goons! It seems like a small thing, but you really helped me out here.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Just keep in mind that the Pair.com 'starter kit' you're looking at is for shared web hosting, not a vps. If you look at their VPS offerings they start at roughly $80/mo which is more in line with WiredTree's pricing. Pair and WiredTree are not in the budget vps market so they're going to be priced a bit higher.

The Knownhost VPS1 plan for $25/mo is not going to be sufficient for your needs. It only comes with 192 megabytes of RAM. Now I'm not going to lie and tell you that you can't do anything with that amount of memory but it's too low for a busy community site. I would look more at their VPS3 and higher plans which start at $45. Knownhosts pricing information is located here: http://www.knownhost.com/vps_packages.html.

When you talk to sales make sure you explain what your requirements are and give pertinent information like how many users your community site has per day, etc. This will let them give you informed recommendations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I bought webhosting from HostHOP a few weeks back. I was used to shared/reseller hosting and have no experience with server management. Somehow I messed up the DNS stuff and the websites are often unavailable despite zero server downtime (and I can always access WHM). Not sure what I did wrong! Where do I even start?

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Quick question. I have a potential client that currently uses a cheap, flash based, build your own site company for hosting. He has a google apps email through that company. How would I go about transferring that google apps account to a new hosting plan without disruption to his email.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

mmm11105 posted:

Quick question. I have a potential client that currently uses a cheap, flash based, build your own site company for hosting. He has a google apps email through that company. How would I go about transferring that google apps account to a new hosting plan without disruption to his email.

Add appropriate MX records on your zonefile for his domain, change nameservers. GA is not part of the host or part of the plan - Google APps is a completely separate service from a separate company

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ditch posted:

I bought webhosting from HostHOP a few weeks back. I was used to shared/reseller hosting and have no experience with server management. Somehow I messed up the DNS stuff and the websites are often unavailable despite zero server downtime (and I can always access WHM). Not sure what I did wrong! Where do I even start?

Are you hosting your own DNS for your server on the same machine where the domain is hosted?

What I see sometimes is people point the registrar info to server IPs on the server but they forget to do things like configure the ns1/ns2 domain records. CPanel by default will listen on all IPs, but if the records are wrong or don't exist then it won't work.

So see what is in your whois for the domains and try to ping that. If you can't resolve your name servers then that would be the root problem. What I would generally recommend is having one main domain so use something like whm.mydomain.com for your hostname, and set up ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com using an outside DNS server and point it to the correct address there. Then use that domain to control the dns for the rest of the stuff.

This can be useful to debug what an outside server is seeing:
http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/

Also using dig and query the server directly to make sure its starting (like you actually have BIND running and available).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

JHVH-1 posted:

Are you hosting your own DNS for your server on the same machine where the domain is hosted?

What I see sometimes is people point the registrar info to server IPs on the server but they forget to do things like configure the ns1/ns2 domain records. CPanel by default will listen on all IPs, but if the records are wrong or don't exist then it won't work.

So see what is in your whois for the domains and try to ping that. If you can't resolve your name servers then that would be the root problem. What I would generally recommend is having one main domain so use something like whm.mydomain.com for your hostname, and set up ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com using an outside DNS server and point it to the correct address there. Then use that domain to control the dns for the rest of the stuff.

This can be useful to debug what an outside server is seeing:
http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/

Also using dig and query the server directly to make sure its starting (like you actually have BIND running and available).
Someone with experience volunteered to dig into my WHM and found a bunch of DNS Zone problems. There was a dummy value of 'domain.com' instead of my own domain.