Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

A Serious Woman posted:

Congratulations, Longpig! That's one fine looking baby you have there!!

Ok, Zoey is just over 5 weeks old and breastfeeding is still posing to be a huge challenge. She still wants to eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours except during the night where I'm lucky enough to get 3-4 hour stretches. That being said, I feel like I'm tethered to both her and the house. I'd love to go out to see people or even just get a coffee and in theory, I have no qualms about breastfeeding in public. However, we're still on a nipple sheild (despite my daily efforts to get her off), I leak out the other boob that I'm not feeding her with, she eats for up to an hour at a time and I have such a forceful letdown about 5-10 minutes in that she chokes on my milk and coughs in routinely in my face. It's not a pretty picture. This just seems to make breastfeeding in public impossible. Everyone keeps saying that it gets easier after 6 weeks but they never say how it gets easier. Like, will my supply regulate and stop choking her? Will she not eat for an hour at a time? Because right now, I feel like I'm at the end of my rope and I really, really want to give up breastfeeding, switch to formula and have my husband help out with the feedings.

The first 3 weeks I had to feed Pixley and then pump and feed her expressed milk b/c she wasn't gaining weight. I then managed to pump myself into an oversupply and had the same issues you're having now. I spent a lot of time crying and feeding her. All of a sudden around 7 weeks things just magically got better and my boobs regulated themselves, and now at 11 weeks I just pop her on and off casually as needed for the most part.

To break myself into feeding her in public, I went to a casual restaurant with my family and put her carrier on the table in front of me, so it really blocked us. I fed her for like 45 minutes and no one was the wiser, or more likely just didn't care. Now I feel like I could do it just about anywhere, and it really helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for the support, guys. I don't think I would feel so exhausted with the constant feeding if she would just take naps and give me like, a 5 second break. This kid will not nap. I've basically resorted to going for car rides in the morning and walks in the afternoon to get her to sleep. She's an excellent night time sleeper, she just is a cranky nightmare during the day. It's just like, she's always, always at me crying and screaming. I know this is how babies operate, it's just exhausting and never being able to fully share the load is just hard. Gah... I know it will get better.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
How often do you try to get her to nap? With Cecilia, especially at that age but even sometimes now, when she shows signs of being tired, she's already overly tired. But if I catch her before she gets to that cranky tired stage, getting her to sleep is a lot easier. And I'm going to reiterate a wrap or sling, because that can help with sleeping as well.

CrispyMini
May 31, 2005
I wonder what the space baby thinks about all this.....?

Quinn was a grouchy newborn too. I found it helped if I spent some time doing infant massage, to help with gas I didn't know if he had. Gently pressing his knees to his chest, one at a time, or both together, that kind of thing- you can google some different techniques. It helped a lot. I also found he slept much better WITH me, so I got the hang of nursing in bed pretty quick.

But yes, it is exhausting. Thankfully as you know, it doesn't last forever, but it's worth reminding. The crankiest babies somehow become the happiest 4-5 month olds ever. I almost feel now that I love Quinn even more for having become this giggly drooling retard out of that snarling cranktastic wrinkly thing.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Well, we've officially been overdue for a couple of days now. Wife has had a bit of cramping, is 100% effaced but not dilated at all. Last night she had pain on both sides of her lower abdomen all through the night, so hopefully this is the beginning.

She has been having braxton hicks for over a week now constantly as well.

Any tips other than sex, bouncing on an exercise ball and taking a walk?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MarshallX posted:

Schedule an induction or C-Section.

Sounds like a joke, but this got my partner to start labour and I've heard of 2 more babys being born on their scheduled day in the last 2 weeks!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

Schedule an induction or C-Section.

Sounds like a joke, but this got my partner to start labour and I've heard of 2 more babys being born on their scheduled day in the last 2 weeks!

Our OB/GYN's exact words were "We don't really prefer to induce, so we will see you next week!"

I respect him for this as a ton of doctors just want to get rid of you and move on, but other the other hand my wife is all :supaburn:

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!

MarshallX posted:

Go up and down stairs.
Go grocery shopping and have her push the cart up and down every aisle, even if you don't need anything from that aisle. Stock up on canned goods to weigh the cart down.
Drive over railroad tracks, pot holes, cobblestone streets etc.
Get her a pedicure- there is a pressure point in the ankle that can induce labor.
Spicy food, thai food, oregano and eggplant are all purported to help move things along.
Lots of nipple stimulation.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MarshallX posted:

Our OB/GYN's exact words were "We don't really prefer to induce, so we will see you next week!"

I respect him for this as a ton of doctors just want to get rid of you and move on, but other the other hand my wife is all :supaburn:

I wasn't really clear, what I meant was that they all went into labour before the actual induction appointment. Something about that incentive or mental relaxation or something. For the record, we were 9 days overdue so I know what you're going through. By day 7 I can see now that I was going really crazy ( I sent a really not cool and out of character joke about japan earthquake to a good friend, which I still haven't had a chance to explain to him :( ) and my girlfriend had been emotionally bouncing off the walls all week.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Janelle posted:

Question for those will baby boys who circumcised. When were they circumcised and who did it? I've been reading different websites and it says within the first 24-48 hours and give a list of who can do it. Just curious as to what the norm was. If local matters, I'm in the states.
Because my partner was Jewish, the circumcision was done on day 8 at our house (a bris/brit.) The guy who did it is a urologist and a mohel, so a medical dr and he has an anaesthetic protocol that he follows. It involves tylenol, a local numbing cream, a local injection and a sugar pacifier (because of the ceremony thing, the sugar pacifier was a sugar ball dipped in wine, which was a big hit.) If we had decided to do it without the ceremony, he does them at his office, and according to the info pdf, the ideal time is between 5-12 days. He's done something like 30,000 of them, so I was comfortable with his knowledge of the procedure seeing as his entire practice consists of circumcisions and vasectomies (and I guess he's developing a male iud.)

Ariza posted:

My old lady and I had a baby a couple of days ago and I have a question. I've been reading through google and can't get a straight answer. My wife is only going to be able to breastfeed for the week she has off (goes back next Wednesday the 30th) and then she's going to try and pump most of the time.

Nthing the WTF with the week off. I understand that it's for school, but... drat.

Exelsior posted:

I pump exclusively (four months now) and it is an enormous, time consuming bitch. The midwives at the hospital hardly ever saw EPers, so they weren't any help. The internet was my only resource.

Yeah, pumping really, really sucks, and it takes a lot of patience and dedication. I'm kind of meh about pumping, because I found it to be such a pain in the rear end, and not worth the time it took. I had intentions of exclusive breastfeeding and pumping, but right now it's about 50-75 breastmilk, with formula taking up the slack (I'm working a bit at the same time, and I can't always coordinate that around a feeding schedule.)

I know that I myself am not very good at pumping either, and I think that some people who EP can experience drops in supply. Which makes sense if you're like me, because I can't get nearly as much pumping as the baby can.

Longpig posted:

Hey guys I had a baby! Howell Davis H---- was born March 24 at 3:17 am. I was in labour for 25 hours including 1.5 hours of pushing before the doctor concluded that he was stuck and would have to be sectioned. So I got to have the joys of labour plus major surgery, hurray! In fact they only part of my birth plan that went right in the end was that I didn't get an episiotomy. After all that I didn't care though, because I still got my prize ham.

Congrats! Hope you're feeling ok after the labour/cs double whammy. Cute baby (and cute knitted things!)

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Guess you lost that argument, huh. Giving newborns wine seems like a loving fantastic idea too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks on everyone's answers about circumcision. It's on my list of questions to ask at my next appt.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Janelle posted:

Thanks on everyone's answers about circumcision. It's on my list of questions to ask at my next appt.

You may find that your Birthing Center has more information on it than your OBGYN. For our hospital, the Birthing Center told us that it is 150$ to the doctor and $150 to the hospital, it is done the day after birth.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Well, according to the doctor, I am 4 weeks, 5 days pregnant, already have some mild nausea, but is it normal to be incredibly hungry already? Yesterday I could not eat enough. I'd finish what I had, and be starving almost directly afterward. I am slightly overweight, but these last few months I've been working on my portion control vs. calories daily. Is it normal to already feel like I have a tapeworm?

Liviana
Feb 28, 2011

Amykinz posted:

Well, according to the doctor, I am 4 weeks, 5 days pregnant, already have some mild nausea, but is it normal to be incredibly hungry already? Yesterday I could not eat enough. I'd finish what I had, and be starving almost directly afterward. I am slightly overweight, but these last few months I've been working on my portion control vs. calories daily. Is it normal to already feel like I have a tapeworm?

I was starving weeks 4 and 5 with my daughter. Then I started morning sickness from weeks 6-20 where eating was a pain. Hopefully, you'll just stay hungry and skip the second half of that!

I was a little overweight when I got pregnant with my daugther and just worked to continue eating healthy. I actually lost weight through most of my first two trimesters. My doctor was just fine with it, because despite the morning sickness I was eating enough (I pretty much ate non-stop to replace what my body rejected) and i was eating healthy.

Congrats and good luck!!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

SAKU loving KOIVU posted:

I wasn't really clear, what I meant was that they all went into labour before the actual induction appointment. Something about that incentive or mental relaxation or something. For the record, we were 9 days overdue so I know what you're going through. By day 7 I can see now that I was going really crazy ( I sent a really not cool and out of character joke about japan earthquake to a good friend, which I still haven't had a chance to explain to him :( ) and my girlfriend had been emotionally bouncing off the walls all week.

Well, we are booked for induction on Sunday and wife is 2cm dilated right now, we will see which comes first!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've got mastitis :ohdear: Thanks to this thread for teaching me the symptoms so I recognized it right away. Yesterday was feverhell but luckily my family was around to take care of Bug while I slept and slept and slept. The fever is still there but ibuprofen keeps it down. The pain isn't as bad as the non-fever duct problems I had when I first started nursing.

My friend and I had a fenugreek party (the Indian restaurant hooked me up) and this is what happens when my supply suddenly doubles. I think it's the lump's fault. :arghfist::mad:

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I exclusively pumped for 6 months, and would I do it again? No. Maybe I would for the first week or two, but never again for that length of time.

I am not saying it's a bad choice for everyone, but it ended up being a bad choice for me. Only I didn't realize it till way longer down the road. As others brought up, you are living your life around a pump instead of a baby (or at least I was). There were many weeks where I didn't leave the house because by the time
you pumped, got your self ready, got the baby ready, it would be time to pump again. If I had to be out all day, not only was I taking my son and all his stuff, I was also taking a breastpump and a cooler too so that I could pump in the car.

I felt so caught up in the guilt, of not being able to breastfeed my son, that I made it some sort of goal that I would provide to him nothing but 100% breastmilk.
If you think like this, make sure you are not setting yourself up for failure. I always had supply issues, which always caused me to worry. If you need formula as a supplement, use it.

Guilt/worry never helps any situation you are in. I guess what I am trying to say, is to pay very special attention to your emotional well being if you are doing something like this. Looking back, I wish I would have spent the time I spent pumping holding and spending time with my son instead, which is in my opinion just as important as breastmilk. It never occurred to me, that if it took 20 minutes to breastfeed, and 5 minutes to give a bottle, that was 15 minutes of time my son wasn't getting held like he should have been.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
On the flip side, I have a friend who is EPing her second child (who is a year old), after doing the same for her first (now 3). She says she actually likes it, because she's a bit neurotic and likes to see exactly how much milk her baby's drinking. I guess it's a different strokes for different folks thing, just like so many other parenting choices.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Fire In The Disco posted:

On the flip side, I have a friend who is EPing her second child (who is a year old), after doing the same for her first (now 3). She says she actually likes it, because she's a bit neurotic and likes to see exactly how much milk her baby's drinking. I guess it's a different strokes for different folks thing, just like so many other parenting choices.

That was one positive, oh how I would rather count oz's in a bottle then keep track on a little chart every time I've fed or changed her. I've been thinking about buying a baby scale for peace of mind this time around, but they are pretty expensive.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, we got one because we were paranoid about Cecilia's growth since she was so tiny at birth. It was $60 when we got it, but so worth it for our peace of mind. We have this one; the cradle part comes off so you can use the scale as a toddler scale. Bonus: weighing monstrous cats on it and cheering when the baby overtakes a cat in weight. :v:

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 31, 2011

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Rathina posted:

That was one positive, oh how I would rather count oz's in a bottle then keep track on a little chart every time I've fed or changed her. I've been thinking about buying a baby scale for peace of mind this time around, but they are pretty expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Salter-Electronic-Baby-Toddler-Scale/dp/B00009KX5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301595463&sr=8-1

Edit: Doh! FITD beat me to it! Does everyone have this scale?

We have this scale. It is awesome, but $70 is still $70. My husband is very anal, and weighs Liam weekly just to see how much he's gaining. He did the same for Midget until he was a few months old. Then he weighed him every month or so. This was seriously the ONLY upside to EPing Midget for ~5 months. I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said. I would never do it again. Now, Liam nurses well (what a novelty after Tim who just could never get the hang of it!), but sometimes he gets a bottle. A few oz's of formula a day, if I don't have any EBM at the time, isn't killing anyone, and I refuse to feel guilty about it this go around. Not one speck of guilt! :D It is very relieving to nurse, first of all, but also when he's having a spell where he wants to be constantly attached to me to have Daddy give him a bottle because I need a break. There is no reason to feel badly about that, and this time, I don't. (I just try to get in a pump as soon as I can.)

We (me too) can spend so much time and energy obsessing about how to feed our babies that sometimes we forget that hugs, kisses, and cuddles are more important. :3: Only something we love simply more than anything can make us so crazy.

Have a picture of Lil' Cheesy! :D

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010
Well, as it turns out, I am a first class dummy. When people used to say they put their baby down for a nap, I literally thought they meant they just put their baby down and it went to sleep because, well, ya know, it's tired. Wow! What I've discovered is that I'm dead wrong and that you actually have to put a baby to sleep and then put them down. I know it's not this way for every single baby but it's definitely this way for Zoey. Now that I know this, she's starting to actually nap. She's still a bit cranky because she's still a bit sleep deprived but we're getting there!

I also discovered that I went from a HUGE oversupply to a HUGE undersupply issue. Not entirely certainly what caused this to happen but I think it accounts for her constantly wanting to eat for up to 90 minutes at a time every 3 hours. I know this is a growth spurt time as well but it's literally been like this for weeks. I started exclusively pumping again and topping off with formula. It's less than an ideal situation but hey, we're doing what works for us. I have no idea how I could go from pumping 600-800ml a day down to less than half of that. I read that it might have something to do with using a nipple shield? Whatever the case, I'm just glad she's well fed and starting to become well rested.

MarshallX, I encouraged labour to start by going for a massage the day before my due date. I had her focus on the pressure points in my feet that can cause labour to start. And the day I went into labour, we went out for Mexican food and I had a glass of wine. We came home, had sex and less than 3 hours later, my water broke. We refer to this incident as the Last Supper. I was also taking evening primrose oil, eating pinapple, driving up and down our pot-hole covered street, going for short walks a few times a day, taking epsom salt baths and having sex as often as possible. I'm not sure if any of these things actually work but hey, I figure they can't hurt.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
A Serious Woman, you can also do things like eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek to up your supply.

The nap thing made me giggle-- not in an "Ahahahahah, what a dumbass!" kind of way, but in a, "Yeah, gotta love trial-and-error parenting" way. It was like me with burping. I didn't think breastfed babies needed to be burped. I mean, how would they get air? It just made sense to me. So when I'm sitting there holding a couple weeks old Cecilia while my sister's over, and she starts doing this thing where she sticks her tongue out over and over again right after nursing, I commented on it to my sister. She was like, "Seems to me like she needs to burp." I looked so confused. But I burped her, and voila, a humongous, fat-rear end trucker belch came out. So, uh, yeah, breastfed babies sometimes need to be burped too...

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
A Serious Woman, your pumping output doesn't necessarily indicate your milk production! A baby is MUCH more efficient than a pump, and I know some women's ability to pump drops off over time. Oversupplies usually correct themselves after a few months; are you sure that it's not just this that has happened?

I had an oversupply at the beginning (I used nipple shields too for the first two or three months, FWIW), and now it's pretty much normal. I can't pump very much at all though, even though I definitely do not have supply issues.

I don't know how old your baby is, but every three hours is a pretty standard amount of time for feeds. And young babies can sometimes take aaaaages to nurse. I was pretty much tied to the couch for the first couple of months and hardly ever went out because Chloe nursed so frequently and slowly. They also have about a bajillion growth spurts in those early months, which can drag things out a bit.

So what I'm saying is, you might not have supply issues at all. :) You might want to check with a lactation consultant, and get your baby weighed after a feed to see how much she's getting, for peace of mind. I would just encourage you to let baby suckle whenever she wants, and that will help your supply.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
In-laws....I need to vent, guys. My wife's mother is very close to my wife, all through this pregnancy she has been acting like this is "her baby" and constantly, constantly, constantly been acting absolutely ridiculous and "smothery" about the entire pregnancy.

- She was demanding that my wife let her into the delivery room during birth because it was "the only thing in life she has ever wanted to witness".
- She wants to stay with us for two weeks after the birth.
- She has called three times a day since my wifes due date with god knows what excuse there is to call, even though my wife has told her that we will call her when we are admitted to the hospital.

My wife has been having contractions that aren't painful at all for about two weeks now, last night at 3AM they started getting painful, approx 5 minutes apart, 50 seconds in length. We went to the Hospital to get an assessment done this morning and they sent us home saying it was a bit too early and they had no beds, no big deal, we'd come back tomorrow when the contractions are worse and closer together.

We got home and decided to take the dog for a walk again(thanks for the advice in this thread) and guess who pulls into the driveway, uninvited, unannounced as we are arriving back home (2 hour drive from her house to ours). My wife was out there for 30 minutes talking to her while she still sat in her car, but guess who is sitting on my couch upstairs. I don't have to spell it out.

As a quick backstory, my mother in law has basically ruined her relationship with my wifes brother, wife and two kids for doing the exact same thing.

I guess there goes the "couples" part of labor.

Any advice other than "tell your wife to stand up for herself"?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
This is a touchy subject, but you need to have a deep talk with your wife. Does she want her mother there during the delivery? If she does, you want to back her on this. Anything that makes a woman's time laboring easier for her is worth doing.

The two weeks after the baby comes might be excessive, or it might not be. Are you off for at least that long? If you're not, your wife might want the help.

But really, the bottom line is, you two should talk and come to terms about this before you go back to the hospital.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

This is a touchy subject, but you need to have a deep talk with your wife. Does she want her mother there during the delivery? If she does, you want to back her on this. Anything that makes a woman's time laboring easier for her is worth doing.

The two weeks after the baby comes might be excessive, or it might not be. Are you off for at least that long? If you're not, your wife might want the help.

But really, the bottom line is, you two should talk and come to terms about this before you go back to the hospital.

Her being in the delivery room has already been dealth with by my wife and it's not happening. It's the smothering and the treating the situation like it's all about her and not us that is absolutely killing me. Her mom know's I'm beyond livid because when I just walked by she was crying. Once again, she is making it about herself and not my wife who is in pre-labor as I type this.

Two weeks is excessive, I am off for two weeks and will be here. We need time to be a family and her mom knows this but is blatantly disrepsecting our wishes.

I'm getting too E/N here - I apologize.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
MarshallX, I know you said your wife is close to her mother, but where specifically does she stand in all of this? Does she want her mom up for two weeks afterwards? Does she want her mom in for the delivery? How much have you talked to your wife about this? It goes without saying that all this needs to be hammered out right now since you are likely going to deliver very soon.

I'm totally on your side in this, BTW. My MIL was very "smothery" during my stay in the hospital with my first, and I seriously suffered for it. Parked herself up there all day, everyday, well into the evening. Doing what? Holding MY newborn. I got to unsuccessfully fumble through every nursing session, with company, and then hand him back over basically. It is extremely hard to try to learn to nurse a sleepy baby with nipple issues (sorry, TMI?) with non-stop company. I tried to suck it up and not say anything because I knew when we got home it would be better, but to no avail. On the last night, I had a total breakdown and really upset my husband. :( I don't blame him at all because it IS his mom and I wasn't saying anything to speak up for myself because I was trying to make everyone happy. It was seriously a bad time. This go around was night and day. We were left alone, and I nursed, and NAPPED; it was a peaceful and copacetic time for us.

If your MIL stayed with you for two weeks, would she be helpful, or will she helpfully hold your baby every waking moment for you? I suspect I know the answer to this question... Besides that though, I feel it is extremely important to spend the first couple days in the hospital, and the first week or two at home ALONE (for the most part, obviously some visiting is okay if you are okay with it) learning how to function as three and bond with your new family.

As an aside, lots of hospitals have a rule that only one person is allowed in the room once active pushing starts (mine does). Your hospital may also have this rule... a choice between husband and mom is a no brainer, and it may give your wife a blameless out. For sure, with a C-section, there's only one person who can scrub in and be with you.

Really, you just need to have a gentle but upfront talk with your wife. Yes, she's the pregnant one and it's her mom, but you are her husband and the daddy-to-be. You have a say in this too.

If your wife isn't down with all the involvement of her mom, she needs to stand up for herself. Or let you help her do it and talk to her mom. If she likes being smothered, you have every right to tell your wife that you as the husband and father have just as much say and you are not down with it.

Sorry for all your drama though. :(

E: FITD beat me to some of this while I was in preview.

A Serious Woman
Sep 9, 2010
MarshallX, for what it's worth, I really didn't want my mother to stay with us for too long after Zoey was born. However, I was so overwhelmed that about 10 days after she left, I bought her a plane ticket to come back out to stay with me for another week after my husband went back to work. My mother is a good woman and I love her dearly but she sometimes drives me to drink. That being said, I have a new found respect for my mother after the level of support she provided me with post-partum.

I know your situation and your wife's relationship with her mother may be entirely different but my advice to you would be to not make any decisions right now. Tell her that you'd like to have her come to stay with you for a bit and you'll assess on an ongoing basis when you'd like her to stay/leave (of course I would recommend saying this a bit more diplomatically).

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Okay, so you guys are on the same page. That's good! So...here's where the hard part starts. Generally speaking, it's advised for the man to be the jerk for his wife's sake when it comes to these kinds of things. She has other things to focus on, etc. This one's tricky though, because it's her mother. Do you feel confident standing up to her for your wife's sake? Maybe a compromise can be reached where she comes out when you go back to work?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

This one's tricky though, because it's her mother. Do you feel confident standing up to her for your wife's sake? Maybe a compromise can be reached where she comes out when you go back to work?

This is where the biggest issue is, my wife and I are on the same page, I basically said "I want her gone until we are admitted to the hospital" and she responded with "I can't tell my mom to drive two hours back home, it would end her (Her mom and dad just seperated)". If I stand up to her Mom, it will only distress my wife which is absolutely not what I want and not what she needs.

This entire situation occured with my MIL and her step daughter and they are basically are not on speaking terms anymore. It was a major deal and is a major elephant in the room at family gatherings.

To answer other questions, MIL is here to spoil, smother and hold a baby, not to help us through. On the other hand, my mom delivered us (also 2 hours away) 11 frozen meals fit for a king and drove back home, didn't mention anything about staying.

It's a very touchy situation and I just don't know how to deal with it. I want the help for the first few days because we don't really know how to approach many things, despite a ton of reading, but I want everyone gone at 9PM.

Thank you everyone for your advice and guidance so far, this is tough one for me as I am usually the rock in this marriage... I swear we are a pretty normal people, regardless of how redneck disfunctional we sound at the moment.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Is there a hotel she can stay at? Also, can you make it clear to her that if she's staying for two weeks, she's got to help out, and that doesn't mean holding the baby?

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007
I'm sorry MarshallX, but your MIL is going to end up with hurt feelings. This time is absolutely, 100% about your wife.

For what its worth usually the maternity nurses will forcefully kick out anyone you don't want there, or anyone who is being unhelpful and causing stress to the new mum. Post partum you can also have a strict visiting list in hospital, so you could not put your MIL on that list. The nurses have seen this situation 100 times before and will bar them entry if you ask.

Once you come home you are going to have to have some harsh words. Really harsh words, your MIL will end up crying. But again, it isn't about her, it is about your wife and yuor child.

The nurses at my hospital actually barged in while my family was visiting and gave me a long lecture (for their benefit) about how I wasn't to have any visitors unless they were to help me, and they were to leave straight after. It worked for the most part.

I debated about putting this next part in because its not really the same situation, but anyway...
My MIL was similar and also lacked boundaries. Came over, expected to be catered to, cooked for, held the baby the whole time and then left me with a pile of dishes and an overtired newborn. I'm really quite pissed at my husband, even now, that he didn't say anything to her after I asked him to talk to her about appropriate behaviour, repeatedly. Unfair as it is, your wife might get resentful at you if the situation goes pear shaped.
Once again this comes down to 'its all about your wife' and you might have to take the fallout and repeatedly face down your MIL in those first few weeks so your wife can get some rest and snuggle time with the baby.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Exelsior posted:

I debated about putting this next part in because its not really the same situation, but anyway...
My MIL was similar and also lacked boundaries. Came over, expected to be catered to, cooked for, held the baby the whole time and then left me with a pile of dishes and an overtired newborn. I'm really quite pissed at my husband, even now, that he didn't say anything to her after I asked him to talk to her about appropriate behaviour, repeatedly. Unfair as it is, your wife might get resentful at you if the situation goes pear shaped.
Once again this comes down to 'its all about your wife' and you might have to take the fallout and repeatedly face down your MIL in those first few weeks so your wife can get some rest and snuggle time with the baby.

Yeah, I think this is pretty common with crummy situations postpartum that aren't nipped in the bud. I've heard similar stories to yours more than once, and my own situation postpartum, while nowhere near as big of hassle as yours or as MarshallX's potentially could be, was nevertheless not what I needed as a new mother. What I'm trying to say is, MarshallX, be an rear end in a top hat for your wife's sake, if she wants you to be.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.

MarshallX posted:

You may find that your Birthing Center has more information on it than your OBGYN. For our hospital, the Birthing Center told us that it is 150$ to the doctor and $150 to the hospital, it is done the day after birth.

Yup, it's the shadiest thing I've ever participated in at a hospital. I gave the Ped $150 in cash and he disappeared with our son for the circumcision. Then I had to pay the rest with plastic to the hospital.

MarshallX: You have Dr Maruncic by the way?

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I want to thank whoever it is that suggested Bravado (I am sure it was multiple people). I got my nursing tank tops in and they are so wonderful! I didn't think I would find something so comfy and supportive. My only other experience was with the Glamourmom tank tops which are not very supportive at all, and are pretty much crap compared to the Bravado tanks. Wishing I could have afforded more than 2.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
MarshallX, you may need to bring in a mediator. Some midwives do this (mine would have but the MIL doesn't speak our language). It's really good to have somebody neutral who knows what is happening to you as a family (= you, your wife, and your baby, 'cause that's your family, now).

Next time I am having MIL issues, I am willing to pay good money for a mediator.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Well, the good stuff first. Welcome to our world Grayson Allan, 8lbs 6oz, 20.5" long.

Pictured: Retarded "Easter" hat.

Labor was quite the marathon, my wife was in "pain" for over 36 hours, active labor was 15 hours through the night. We are both pretty pooped out after being up for at least 48 hours straight...

The MIL situation hit a peak after labor with MIL saying to my wife "I don't feel any sort of connection to him" and ended with my awesome Brother In Law basically laying down the law and (paraphrasing) told MIL to get her poo poo together. It's going to be an elephant in the room for a while, but oh well.

Scrum - yep, Marunsic, but he didn't deliver. And yup, the same thing for our circumcision, it's really, really weird.

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

That's a beautiful baby, MarshallX. Congratulations!