Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

M1TCH3LL posted:

Dec 2009, to be exact.

A newer picture, although only four/five months newer:

The two things that get me is how depressing the majority of that picture is and how the gently caress has Jimmy Hart not aged a day in like, 15 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Jimmy is 65 so I seriously doubt it's natural. Also Heenan does kind of look like a ventriloquist's dummy...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Awesome tidbits from the most recent Observer back issue:

quote:

On World Wide that aired this past weekend they still had Flair coming to the ring with Fifi. Imagine how the 95% of the audience that doesn't realize the show was taped months ago and that the company can't keep its storylines consistent that long make of all that. Even more insulting was the week after Starrcade they tried to do a still photo review of the show with Gene Okerlund, however the photos they used for "Starrcade" were obviously taken at the 11/10 Clash.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Guess what's back....

http://www.wcw.com

Ah, revisionist history, what do you have for me today?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

whatsabattle posted:

Guess what's back....

I love how on their "History of the U.S. Title" they got two Canadians, one wearing the U.S. Title rebranded as the Canadian Title.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I like how the first part of their WCW history covers the first 8 years of WCW in under 600 words and yet still manages to be full of errors. Good stuff.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

whatsabattle posted:

Guess what's back....

http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/unitedstates
Chris Benoit was included in the US Title history.
Probably means nothing, and they just copied, pasted and updated an old one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRayPer posted:

Awesome tidbits from the most recent Observer back issue:

Rene Dupree stole Ric Flair's puppy! That fiend!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Fucken_Gieux posted:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/unitedstates
Chris Benoit was included in the US Title history.
Probably means nothing, and they just copied, pasted and updated an old one.

If you click any of the other non Benoit links, it gives a blurb about the match and the circumstances surrounding it. This is just the bare bones 'yeah this guy existed' sort of thing because otherwise you have to pretend those changes never happened and that either leads to accusations of whitewashing history OR will inspire curiosity seekers to find out what the deal with Benoit is. It's the best they can really do given the situation.

Flight Bisque fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 29, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What I love about the old observers is them printing stuff that is going to happen, that makes sense and would be cool, but then it doesn't happen for what ever reason.

Take for example: "Rick Rude going to NJPW in exchange for Great Muta"

My limited understanding is that Rude was in the finals of a G1 and gave a good account of himself. And in return Muta is going to headline Spring Stampede against Flair. That's cool, because Flair and Muta are both over. And they can both go. I would PAY MONEY for that match.

Instead Flair went up against Steamboat and drew, and Muta wrestled Stunning Steve and lost by DQ.

Flair/Muta... you could have had Flair/Muta.

And as a silly aside, I think this was the period where Steve started using the "Stunner" as a normal move... I wonder if Muta got stunnered.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

LordPants posted:

What I love about the old observers is them printing stuff that is going to happen, that makes sense and would be cool, but then it doesn't happen for what ever reason.

Take for example: "Rick Rude going to NJPW in exchange for Great Muta"

My limited understanding is that Rude was in the finals of a G1 and gave a good account of himself. And in return Muta is going to headline Spring Stampede against Flair. That's cool, because Flair and Muta are both over. And they can both go. I would PAY MONEY for that match.

Instead Flair went up against Steamboat and drew, and Muta wrestled Stunning Steve and lost by DQ.

Flair/Muta... you could have had Flair/Muta.

And as a silly aside, I think this was the period where Steve started using the "Stunner" as a normal move... I wonder if Muta got stunnered.

Muta was lazy as poo poo in that match, and Muta/Flair would most likely have not been near as good as Flair/Steamboat. Muta is one of the most inconsistent workers of all time. I love Muta to death, but more for the aura. In ring is always hit or miss.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Benoit has quietly been added back into things like title histories and event results over the last couple years. You're never going to see WWE put out a Best of Chris Benoit tape, but as time passes the name will become less toxic and he'll probably be just a downplayed part of history instead of never existing.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Benoit has quietly been added back into things like title histories and event results over the last couple years. You're never going to see WWE put out a Best of Chris Benoit tape, but as time passes the name will become less toxic and he'll probably be just a downplayed part of history instead of never existing.

I think it's the best you can hope for. They can never glorify him for his accomplishments in pro wrestling which really is a shame, but it seems like they're less afraid to admit he existed now.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Akileese posted:

I think it's the best you can hope for. They can never glorify him for his accomplishments in pro wrestling which really is a shame, but it seems like they're less afraid to admit he existed now.

The technology to replace him with Hardcore Holly just isn't there yet.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I'll be happy if there comes a time when I can see him on old Raws and Nitros he was in on the On Demand service. That'd be enough for me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

whatsabattle posted:

Guess what's back....

Guess what never left us:

http://static.tbs.com/sports/thunder/ecards/index.htm

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I think it's great that there was a time that that was a professionally designed website.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Guess what never left us:

http://static.tbs.com/sports/thunder/ecards/index.htm

Effective Tuesday, March 27, WCW programming will begin a period of hiatus. During this hiatus, WCW will review its programming plans and determine the course of future WCW-branded entertainment events. More information will be posted as it is made available.

I wonder if they'll come off hiatus soon?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

Effective Tuesday, March 27, WCW programming will begin a period of hiatus. During this hiatus, WCW will review its programming plans and determine the course of future WCW-branded entertainment events. More information will be posted as it is made available.

The last time a Tuesday dropped on March 27 was in 2007, so I'm hoping soon. :downs:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Endorph posted:

I know for sure that while I'm waiting I'll go check out Movies For Guys Who Like Movies

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/wcwchampionship/304454110218

Definitely an error here. No way he ever learned that he was in over his head at any point in his career.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't understand why they have Benoit on the WCW title history. WCW erased his reign after he left the company. WWE inserted it back into history when they bought WCW, so why not just erase it again? It isn't even being dishonest.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Akileese posted:

Yeah, I would like to see Benoit the wrester inserted back into stuff but maybe just not including information about the person as opposed to the wrestler. For a few years he was too integral a corner stone of the company to be able to wash him out without leaving important gaps in the history of the company and also in the histories of individuals who had a significant and defining interaction with him in their careers.

Although in another way I do kind of feel the censorship is a bit irresponsible because he makes for a really important case study into the unseen damage that can be done to a performer. That stat about how the autopsy said his brain was consistent with an eighty year old alzheimer patients always sticks out in my mind because in a company full of people who spent a lot of time around him no one noticed this. It's a shocking statistic and shows how grave consequences can be if the proper precautions aren't taken.

From a business perspective though I can totally understand why WWE doesn't want the association. Then there's the personal perspective for the people who worked with him, I can't imagine what being reminded even unintentionally that a guy you knew so well and even considered a friend for some did what he did.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

MassRayPer posted:

I don't understand why they have Benoit on the WCW title history. WCW erased his reign after he left the company. WWE inserted it back into history when they bought WCW, so why not just erase it again? It isn't even being dishonest.

My guess is that no one cares enough to even notice.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Perry Normal posted:

I'll be happy if there comes a time when I can see him on old Raws and Nitros he was in on the On Demand service. That'd be enough for me.

Do they seriously cut all his segments out of Nitro and Raw on Classic On Demand? That is so lame... no wonder why some of those have felt kind of short for a 2 hour program.

After looking over the WCW Title history, April and May of 2000 look extremely hosed up. 9 World Title changes in 2 months? Seems that stripping all the champions of their titles was probably the wost idea ever at the time.

Edit: okay, I'm reading the descriptions of all this stuff, and I'm remembering details I completely forgot.

4/10 - Nitro - All titles stripped from all wrestlers
4/16 - Spring Stampeed - Jarrett wins his first World Title defeating DDP after Kim turns on him
4/24 - Nitro - DDP defeats Jarrett in a steel cage match to win the title.
4/25 - Thunder - David Arquette pins Eric Bishoff to win the World Title
5/7 - Slamboree - Arquett turns on DDP and allows Jarrett to win the World Title
5/15 - Nitro - Flair defeats Jarrett for the Title
5/22 - Nitro - Russo strips Flair of the title and gives it to Jarrett making him a three time champion in over a months time.
5/24 - Thunder - Nash defeats Steiner and Jarrett for the title.
5/29 - Nitro - Nash gives the title to Flair
5/29 - Nitro - Jarrett defeats Flair to become a 4 time champion

When you actually read it all in a row like that it's ridiculous

Edit 2:

SO many entries are filled with somebody vacating the title or giving up the title, and a lot of them don't even make sense.

Look at Bret's reign at the end of 1999. What as the point of beating Goldberg at Starrcade, vacating the title, beating Goldberg AGAIN to win the title, then vacating it again? Then Benoit wins the title, the title reign is erased from WCW history, Sid wins the title by defeating Nash, is stripped of it by Nash, then beats Nash again to win the title? WTF?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2011

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Do they seriously cut all his segments out of Nitro and Raw on Classic On Demand? That is so lame... no wonder why some of those have felt kind of short for a 2 hour program.

It's kind of ridiculous the way they do it too. Matches, interviews with just him are cut completely. But in the most recent one I watched, they were building up to Mongo/Benoit vs. The Faces of Fear, and Mongo/Benoit came to the ramp to watch the Faces beat up High Voltage. Rather than scrap the whole segment, or edit out the parts that showed Benoit watching, they just edited out any time the announcers mentioned him, so there were huge dead spots in the commentary.

Same thing when all the Horsemen came out for an interview once.

Mean Gene: "Please welcome The Four Horsemen! Arn Anderson, Brian Pillman, (noticable pause) and the Nature Boy Ric Flair!"
Yet Benoit is in the background of almost every shot.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They should just replace Benoit's face with Batista's in every shot.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Burrito posted:

So they'll hire the 'crap forum?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Hart/Hall/Nash/Sting/Goldberg/Flair were all injured in late 99 (which left the nWo a concussed Jeff Jarrett and the Harris brothers) and Hogan etc were sulking at home since Russo didn't want to use them so the main event scene was a bit hosed.

The story of Goldberg's 1999-2001 was better. He lost the title in 98, was 'arrested' and cheated out of the rematch when the fingerpoke of doom happened. Then he beat Scott Hall/Nash on PPV before vanishing to film a movie. In the Autumn he came back and messed around with Page before fighting Sid and his millennium man streak at Halloween Havoc then finally ending 1999 by booting Bret Hart into retirement (he still lost the match at Starrcade). When the nWo formed in late 99/early 2000 he fought their car a little too hard and nearly cut off his arm shattering the window. Six months later he came back and turned heel (what a swerve) taking part in some of the dumbest "this is a shoot, son" stuff ever written. In the Autumn he feuded (and lost to) Steiner then began a new streak where he had to win 176 matches in a row or be fired. He didn't and was fired (injured again in reality). Then WCW died.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was a WCW fan for a long time, and going through this thread over the last couple days has been a blast. I remember all of the horrible, nonsensical booking, the blown angles, the apathy and laziness of the performers like it was yesterday. The Observer quotes are some great nostalgia, too. For all the fun stuff I do remember, like Mike Awesome nearly killing Shaggy 2 Dope, and the blatant casual racism of the announce team, I'm finding new stuff I'd never seen before, like Tank Abbott putting a knife to the throat of an opponent that he botched into a coma.

Thanks for the fun thread, guys. As much as I've read about the egos and the incompetence and the politics involved, it still blows my mind how something can get so thoroughly hosed up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Some of my favorite moments came from Thunder, where even though it was a taped show and they usually had at least a day or two to edit, they still managed to gently caress everything up.

There was an episode where Sting was to take on Villano IV and Villano V in a handicap match sometime in the second hour. However, during the first hour, they showed the recap of the ending of that match, where one of the Villanos kabonged Sting with a guitar and removed his mask to reveal Jeff Jarrett. So not only did they give away the result of the match an hour before it actually aired, but also ruined the SHOCKING SWERVE.

Then there's the episode that had Mike Awesome involved in one of those wonderful "brawl all over the building" hardcore matches that Russo loved so much. DDP comes out of nowhere (he wasn't in the match, but that never mattered in 1999-2001) and beats the poo poo out of Awesome before tossing him in an ambulance, which then drives off. Cut to Vince Russo with a bunch of his idiot friends (Jarrett, Douglas, Stasiak, etc) including...Mike Awesome! Looking just fine, too, considering he's on his way to the hospital in an ambulance.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Burrito posted:

I have memories of "The Crippler" Chris Benoit early in his career with WCW being a creepy rear end motherfucker.

Classics should show the Malenko/Benoit feud from '96. Didn't they put on a wrestling clinic at Hog Wild?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The hog wild match was so good that it was the first match they showed on RAW is Benoit.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Classic WCW too, they put an arguably 5 star wrestling classic on in front of a crowd of drunk bikers who couldn't care less about wrestling.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's right, And all the bikies popped when Hogan won. It didn't help that the Giant wasn't exactly the best of transitional faces. If Sting had dropped the belt, or Savage maybe...

Classic WCW!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, but because Hog Wild was always a free show in Sturgis in front of thousands of drunk bikers that didn't give a poo poo about wrestling, they nearly booed them out of South Dakota.

EDIT: Beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I always loved the shows they did at Sturgis or for spring break. Always had a different feel, which is fun.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Because I like going back and piecing these things together,

The Ballad of The Outsiders and the Tag Team Championships

Halloween Havoc 1996 - Outsiders win the belts off Harlem Heat

Souled Out 1997 - Steiner Brothers beat the Outsiders for the belts

The Next Night on Nitro - Steiners are stripped of the titles because a non-NWO ref counted the pin, Outsiders are awarded the belts

Superbrawl 1997 - Lex Luger and the Giant beat the Outsiders for the belts

The Next Night on Nitro - Luger/Giant are stripped of the titles because Luger was not medically cleared to compete, Outsiders are awarded the belts

Spring Stampede 1997 - Kevin Nash d. Rick Steiner to retain the belts in a one-on-one match

Nitro - October 17, 1997 - The Steiner Brothers d. Scott Hall and Syxx for the belts

Superbrawl 1998 - The Outsiders d. The Steiners for the belts after Scott Steiner joins the NWO

Slamboree 1998 - Sting & The Giant d. The Outsiders for the belts after Scott Hall turns on Kevin Nash and hits him with the belt

Next Week on Nitro - The Giant turns on Sting

Great American Bash 1998 - Sting d. The Giant for the tag belts. Sting offers the second tag belt to Kevin Nash, who accepts

Nitro - July 20, 1998 - Scott Hall & The Giant d. Kevin Nash & Sting for the belts

Halloween Havoc 1998 - Rick Steiner & Buff Bagwell d. Scott Steiner & the Giant (Scott Hall was wrestling in a separate match against Kevin Nash that night)

Still at Halloween Havoc - Buff Bagwell turns on Rick Steiner, leaving one man once again in control of the tag belts

The Next Night on Nitro - Rick Steiner selects... Kenny Kaos as his tag partner

January 1999 - With Rick Steiner out injured (having never actually defended the belts on television that I can find), the championship is vacated, no doubt against Kenny Kaos's strong opposition

February 21-December 13, 1999 - Fifteen title switches, none of them even remotely involving an Outsider so THEY AIN'T DRAWIN', BROTHER

Nitro - December 13, 1999 - THE OUTSIDERS d. Bret Hart & Goldberg for the tag belts. THE CHAMPS ARE HERE

December 27, 1999 - Scott Hall is sent home before the Outsiders can defend the belts :(

And that was the last we saw of them with their belts.

For what it's worth, for that period from 1996-1999, I think I skipped over maybe three tag championship matches on PPV. They were very rarely defended.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
When exactly was Judy Bagwell a tag champ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rusty Shackelford posted:

When exactly was Judy Bagwell a tag champ?
Judy Bagwell subbed in for Kenny Kaos on an episode of Nitro to take on her son and Scott Steiner. She carried the belt to the ring and 'tagged' with Rick but never actually participated in a 'title match' so does it really count as a former champion? Who the gently caress knows.

It's also worth noting this was a completely separate angle, over a year before the Judy Bagwell on a Pole match took place.