Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

A royal "gently caress you" to Gigabyte. Got a new GA-P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard with an Intel X-25M SSD as the main/only drive. The motherboard won't boot using AHCI mode with the sata ports, so I'm stuck with IDE mode.

Drive is accessible though - Win7 saw it and installed just fine in 10 minutes.

Someday I hope there will be a bios update and I'll get the last 15% performance out of the ssd. :( (Running version F2 here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I must have got a poo poo chip :(... it won't stay stable above 4.3ghz and that's with 1.35v. I thought the new motherboard might make a difference, but I get identical results as my last (Gigabyte P67A-UD3).

Granted, I haven't really messed around with any other settings.

At least it stays extremely cool with a Hyper 212+ HS & Fan (have yet to see 60 degrees).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Chips just vary. I can only push about 4.45 GHz at 1.32 V on my 2500K, and with a Hyper212+, it hits 60 C under regular full load and 75 C on Intel Burn Test. But if I allow myself 1.4 V, I can hit 5 GHz (very unstable) and it's only 5 C hotter.

Asus posted an estimate of 2500K overclocking rates and something like only 50% of them can hit 4.4 GHz at all, and only 2% can hit 5 GHz at all, nevermind stable. Luck of the draw is what it is.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Is it worth waiting for a Z68 board or should I just get a P67 and be done with it?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

unknown posted:

A royal "gently caress you" to Gigabyte. Got a new GA-P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard with an Intel X-25M SSD as the main/only drive. The motherboard won't boot using AHCI mode with the sata ports, so I'm stuck with IDE mode.

Drive is accessible though - Win7 saw it and installed just fine in 10 minutes.

Someday I hope there will be a bios update and I'll get the last 15% performance out of the ssd. :( (Running version F2 here)

Are there reports of this being a problem with the board? Either way I would RMA it, not having AHCI is unacceptable on a new build.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Is it worth waiting for a Z68 board or should I just get a P67 and be done with it?

Do you:

1) want to do a third monitor, have an nVidia card, and don't want to buy a second, cheapo graphics adapter?

2) have any use for QuickSync video transcoding?

If no to both of these, get a P67 board and be done with it.

VVVV

SSD caching won't be enabled at first launch of Z68, and it will be pushed to all Sandy Bridge boards. Not sure if that includes "All at the same time," but there ya go.

Also, you're confusing "encoding" and "rendering." Quicksync does encoding, and takes that job off of the processor. Things that only have to be encoded (like transcoding video from Format A to Format B) will only go through QuickSync*. Video will render a tiny bit faster because the processor is not doing encoding, too, but it will still be rendering out effects before it can be encoded (which QuickSync will then handle).

*Slightly oversimplified

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 31, 2011

Jos
Feb 13, 2007
I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Also note that quicksync is only for transcoding, not encoding. If you work with video editing software and apply effects quicksync won't apply the effects faster. It's really just there to transcode a movie file from one format to another (probably to a smaller format, like for your iFone).

There's also the SSD caching capability, but I imagine in a year or so SSD's will be affordable enough that having the SSD caching option becomes useless. It's still much slower than just using the SSD directly.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Guess I'll try my luck with another P67 board then since I don't have an Nvidia card or care about transcoding.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Intel X79 details are out!

Of note:

- 14 SATA ports, 10 at 6Gbps. This is nuts. Apparently there is some SAS capability as well; I assume that there's some shared silicon between this and the new server chipsets that sport integrated SAS as well.
- PEG from CPU extended to 32 lanes.
- 14 USB 2.0 ports. I don't think we're seeing 3.0 in the 6-series.
- PCH still only has 8 lanes.

Not a bad successor to the X58.

e: why couldn't it be the X69 :hurr:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

movax posted:

Intel X79 details are out!

Of note:

- 14 SATA ports, 10 at 6Gbps. This is nuts. Apparently there is some SAS capability as well; I assume that there's some shared silicon between this and the new server chipsets that sport integrated SAS as well.
- PEG from CPU extended to 32 lanes.
- 14 USB 2.0 ports. I don't think we're seeing 3.0 in the 6-series.
- PCH still only has 8 lanes.

Not a bad successor to the X58.

e: why couldn't it be the X69 :hurr:

Holy crap.

14 SATA looks to be 1) the SATA controller from P67 plus 2) an 8-port SAS 6 Gbps controller. I wonder if you can create arrays across them? I'd wager "probably," given that you can do so across SATA3/SATA2 on P67.

That's the same USB2 support as in P67/H67, I think. No huge surprise. Ditto on the ethernet.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Kashwashwa posted:

I must have got a poo poo chip :(... it won't stay stable above 4.3ghz and that's with 1.35v. I thought the new motherboard might make a difference, but I get identical results as my last (Gigabyte P67A-UD3).
The mobo won't make much of a difference with these newer AMD/Intel chips that have the memory controller on die and are being OC'd via the multiplier. That goes double for the Intel chips since BCLK overclocking is almost totally useless now.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Kashwashwa posted:

Granted, I haven't really messed around with any other settings.
drat that sucks. And I thought my 1.31V @ 4.4Ghz was below average.

Have you tried running the ram underspeed? ie if its 1600 ram, set it to 1333 just to take it out of the equation

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Now that's a board for my file server. Except enthusiast boards seem to carry a bit of mark-up for aesthetic reasons or something beyond even the server boards historically.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Now that's a board for my file server. Except enthusiast boards seem to carry a bit of mark-up for aesthetic reasons or something beyond even the server boards historically.

Hopefully Supermicro will release some reasonably-priced boards based on it; they have a line up of X58-based server boards for home folks, since that's the only chipset that can support the obnoxious number of PCIe slots (+ onboard LSI controller) that they have.

But yeah, I wouldn't expect enthusiast X79 boards to come in under $250 I would think.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

SSD caching won't be enabled at first launch of Z68, and it will be pushed to all Sandy Bridge boards. Not sure if that includes "All at the same time," but there ya go.
Do you have more info about that? I thought it was a Z68 and later chipsets feature, but I may have just missed the article where they said they'd backport it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

MaxxBot posted:

I understand your concern but 1.3V is by no means a high voltage for a 2500K/2600k CPU to run at. Mine is at 1.38V and it barely breaks 60C at full load. I understand there is more to this than temperature but people have even asked motherboard manufacturers and been told that voltages up to 1.42V are safe. People have stress tested these things for days with voltages over 1.5V with no issues.

I'm not talking about life issues in days or months, I'm talking about the traces frying out after 2 years instead of 10. That's the risk you take by over-volting it and there simply isn't enough time to do load testing to recreate the potential loss in service life. If that isn't really a concern for you, then by all means go crazy. I'm trying to stress the point that just because it is stable, doesn't mean you aren't damaging things.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Alereon posted:

Do you have more info about that? I thought it was a Z68 and later chipsets feature, but I may have just missed the article where they said they'd backport it.

I'm going to have to back down on that. The website I got that from noted that SSD caching was a feature coming in Intel Rapid Storage Tech version 10.5, and then made an unwarranted, speculative claim that it would be a feature of RST, not necessarily of Z68 itself. Tom's Hardware notes more clearly that SSD caching is being marketed as a Z68 feature which will be enabled by RST 10.5.

drabk
Aug 15, 2001

I'm trying to troubleshoot my sandy bridge system... two different motherboards were not working leading me to examine the CPU. All of the gold contacts on its business end look fine, but there are two scrapes on the top from the motherboard clip:

I'm hoping that's normal with these chips? Not something that Intel would disqualify me warranty coverage for?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Just finished my Sandy Bridge motherboard RMA swap. So far, so good, it was relatively painless. Powered down, swapped boards, booted and enabled ACHI in the BIOS, then started into Windows. It installed drivers and everything seems to be working now.

If anything, I'm glad I had to do it since it gave me a chance to tweak my cable routing and clean it up inside the case.

It is a GA-P67A-UD3-B3 - and I had no trouble booting to my SSD with AHCI, so unknown, I think you got a bum board.

Most of the problems were with Newegg's return process for these boards. They never got back with me after I responded to the email I was supposed to, so I ended up waiting longer than needed for a board.

For return shipping, they generate the UPS label the day they ship out your replacement board. For me, that was Monday, and I didn't get my replacement board until Wednesday. The UPS label must be scanned into their system within 7 days or it is voided. Definitely gives you incentive to get the swap done, just don't go requesting your RMA before you go on a long weekend or something.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 2, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Got my new ASUS P8P67 LE in with power supply and hooked everything up last night. Seems to be running pretty good at 4.6, been running Prime all morning and haven't seen temps go above 62 while running it thanks to my Noctua NH-D14.

However looks like my board has a bad SATA port so I'm going to return it to Newegg and possibly upgrade to a better P67 board since I didn't realize till I got it that the O/C'ing options aren't that great.

Also I tried enabling ACHI on the board and then installing drivers but windows continually BSOD's when I boot into it, is there something else I should be doing?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

real_scud posted:

Got my new ASUS P8P67 LE in with power supply and hooked everything up last night. Seems to be running pretty good at 4.6, been running Prime all morning and haven't seen temps go above 62 while running it thanks to my Noctua NH-D14.

However looks like my board has a bad SATA port so I'm going to return it to Newegg and possibly upgrade to a better P67 board since I didn't realize till I got it that the O/C'ing options aren't that great.

Also I tried enabling ACHI on the board and then installing drivers but windows continually BSOD's when I boot into it, is there something else I should be doing?

Yeah, you should definitely get something other than the LE. As for the BSOD, what drivers did you try installing?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Did you enable AHCI in Windows before you enabled it in the BIOS? I think there's a registry change you need to make to enable it if you didn't install Windoes with AHCI enabled in your BIOS.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

movax posted:

Yeah, you should definitely get something other than the LE. As for the BSOD, what drivers did you try installing?
Thought it was the achi drivers but I tried to do it from the repair screen so maybe I need to listen to

LordOfThePants posted:

Did you enable AHCI in Windows before you enabled it in the BIOS? I think there's a registry change you need to make to enable it if you didn't install Windoes with AHCI enabled in your BIOS.
And enable it in Windows, so I'm going to try that and see if I stop BSOD'ing

edit: That worked like a champ. Now does anyone have a clue as to the preferred OC mobo? I thought the ASUS was good, but now I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't go back to a Gigabyte.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 2, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

real_scud posted:

edit: That worked like a champ. Now does anyone have a clue as to the preferred OC mobo? I thought the ASUS was good, but now I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't go back to a Gigabyte.
Asus is great for overclocking, it's just that that specific model only has 4 power phases rather than the usual 12 because it's the lowest-end model. Here's a feature table for Asus boards from awhile back that's still mostly accurate though a couple of the better choices seem to have disappeared. You might look at the Asus P8P67 for $164.99, it has the Realtek LAN chipset that people don't like, but if it ends up bothering you that much you can buy a NIC with a better chipset for less than the cost of moving up to the next board with an Intel chipset (though that does get you an even better board).

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY
I hope this hasn't already been covered, but what kind of support does Quick Sync have in software these days? Many of the reviews I read only mentioned a few programs that support it, but those reviews were written around launch and I would hope that it's become a little more ubiquitous. I'm looking to do on-the-fly transcoding to my Xbox 360, and I expect programs of that nature would be the last in line to utilize a new processor feature.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a reason not to keep a pre-rev3 board? I'll probably never use more than four disks. I've been going at it for a decade and always replacing the smallest in the bunch with larger ones. The only thing that could suffer is the Blu-ray drive, which is on one of the potentially broken ports.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a reason not to keep a pre-rev3 board?
They're replacing them for free, it's a minor inconvenience to swap it out, but you should do it.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Shmoogy posted:

They're replacing them for free, it's a minor inconvenience to swap it out, but you should do it.

Also resale value if that matters to you... people will be more likely to buy a 'non-faulty' board I'm sure.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm really happy so far with my P8P67 Pro. It's a great quality board with lots of options and is easy to work on/with. I've got a 2500K in it at 4.87GHz and 1.3v vcore which has been stable for six hours under the IBT.

It appeared to be stable at 4.8 with 1.35V, but highest temps hit the low 70s with a 212+, while 4.7 with 1.3 runs 68 in the hottest core.

I think I'll stay here at 4.7.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 4, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a reason not to keep a pre-rev3 board? I'll probably never use more than four disks. I've been going at it for a decade and always replacing the smallest in the bunch with larger ones. The only thing that could suffer is the Blu-ray drive, which is on one of the potentially broken ports.
It doesn't affect the drives (though it could corrupt data on them), it's the controller on the board that burns out. Do you REALLY want to trust a motherboard that you know is going to have at least a little bit of its chipset literally burn up?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I had similar thoughts about just keeping the board, but I decided it was one of those things were it would really end up biting me in the rear end later on.

Also Newegg offers advanced RMAs so literally the only downside was taking the time to replace it.
Except I guess I'll have to pay for postage. Huh.
Eh whatever.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I have no such option. I just use the SATA 6 ports (only two of them) and then I have 3 TB of external storage. Mostly USB, but one is an old IDE drive. Living in Korea and not being able to speak the language to talk to ASUS support means I'll be keeping it. At least until my company sends me a work laptop so I don't get caught without a VT-capable computer.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

TreFitty posted:

I have no such option. I just use the SATA 6 ports (only two of them) and then I have 3 TB of external storage. Mostly USB, but one is an old IDE drive. Living in Korea and not being able to speak the language to talk to ASUS support means I'll be keeping it. At least until my company sends me a work laptop so I don't get caught without a VT-capable computer.

I'm pretty sure if you email their headquarters they can help you figure something out.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got my i5 2500K running at 4.6GHz on default voltage on an Asus P8P67 Pro.

For some reason in the Asus BIOS, even though I tell it to see the FSB to 100 MHz, it always sets it to 103. Weird.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Alereon posted:

It doesn't affect the drives (though it could corrupt data on them), it's the controller on the board that burns out. Do you REALLY want to trust a motherboard that you know is going to have at least a little bit of its chipset literally burn up?
Who does the exchange then? If it's the shops, I can assure you that they will RMA it and I'll have to wait for Asus to react. Exchange policies in Europe aren't that relax.

--edit: Putting my serial into their site tells me that I'm not affected by it.
--edit2: Wait, wrong number :(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 4, 2011

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

You Am I posted:

Got my i5 2500K running at 4.6GHz on default voltage on an Asus P8P67 Pro.

For some reason in the Asus BIOS, even though I tell it to see the FSB to 100 MHz, it always sets it to 103. Weird.

I had this problem for a few before I figured out you had to press enter after entering the FSB speed- it appears to set it even if you don't, but it actually doesn't until you hit enter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Turns out my preferred shop isn't being a dick about replacing the board. Pretty cool!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Combat Pretzel posted:

Turns out my preferred shop isn't being a dick about replacing the board. Pretty cool!

Yeah, Intel's covering the costs for everything, as it's their rear end on the line. When I went to Micro Center, they just said "Board in a bag? Here, have a fresh B3 retail box."

Anyone with a P8P67 vanilla need a USB 3.0 bracket?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

Yeah, Intel's covering the costs for everything, as it's their rear end on the line. When I went to Micro Center, they just said "Board in a bag? Here, have a fresh B3 retail box."

Anyone with a P8P67 vanilla need a USB 3.0 bracket?
poo poo I'd take one since I have my LE that I'm going to soon replace with a Pro that obv won't have a bracket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

real_scud posted:

poo poo I'd take one since I have my LE that I'm going to soon replace with a Pro that obv won't have a bracket

What? Pro has a bracket (at least if you do your RMA via Asus, you get a new retail box, not just a bare board. So I have two of everything now!)