Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

GTi_guy posted:

Had the Ventus V12's installed on the Si.

Should be a great summer tire.

I also got a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Super Facebook Xtreme tires for my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I like those wheels.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Got thiiiis close to swapping out the rear trailing arm and ended up stripping the head out of the final bolt. loving allen bolts in places they can rust. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Replaced the oxygen sensor on the Altima - as I suspected, it was either original or a dealer part - Bosch logo with a Nissan logo stamped next to it. Surprisingly, it came out with no fuss whatsoever, I didn't even break any clips on the harness. It now has a Denso in its place that I picked up from Amazon for $30. Original had 141,300 miles.

Also finally got around to replacing my split PCV breather hose - unmetered air leaks :argh:

Reset the ECU and filled up - we'll see if I can start getting decent mileage now. My best tank to date was 25 MPG, 95% highway, and it's rated 31 mpg highway.

Changing the oil tomorrow and sending a sample off to Blackstone - wonder what fun stuff they'll see courtesy of the pcv breather hose...

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.
Oil change today.

Stopped using Fram filters (usually do it when I'm at home, my mom's Scion and my Celica use the same filter, so I was just using those) and switched to K&N.

The Celica is the perfect car for an oil change. It takes maybe 10 minutes to do, including pulling out the jackstands, jack, and ratchet. The oil filter is retardedly easy to get to.

Had about 3200 miles on the oil that was in there, and it came out fairly dirty, but I'm figuring part of that is just poo poo that was picked up from changing it for the first time in 6k the day I got it.

That said, I love the way an engine feels right after an oil change. Maybe it's psychosomatic, but they always just seem to run way smoother.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Failed to do the front brakes on my Cobalt SS. The drat locating pins are seized in the calipers (drat YOU BREMBO!) so I'm taking it to the shop on Monday. My lovely dying hip can't be sitting on the pavement doing this crap any more.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I replaced this lovely old alt/water pump belt from my 240 with a nice, fresh Gates XL.

It's a wonder it wasn't just slipping around on the pulleys. I haven't checked the voltage from my alt yet, but it's doubtless improved. :science:

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 2, 2011

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

zundfolge posted:

I replaced this lovely old alt/water pump belt from my 240 with a nice, fresh Gates XL.

It's a wonder it wasn't just slipping around on the pulleys. I haven't checked the voltage from my alt yet, but it's doubtless improved. :science:

What's wrong with that? It just made its own ribs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Spent some quality time with the Shelby's wheels today. About an hour with a soapy car sponge and a wet cloth diaper took care of that rear end in a top hat of assholes: brake dust.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Waxed the 6 yesterday.

Today, I figured out why the clutch on my '83 Sportster has been sticking...a lovely dose of water in the transmission case. WONDERFUL. Popped the pan off and letting it drain overnight before cleaning. J&P cycles should upgrade me to gold membership for free.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Changed the battery in the TT. It was confusing the alarm and causing it to go off at 3:00 AM and scare the poo poo out of me.

Also changed the oil. Containing oil draining from the filter is a PITA. :(

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I finally found time to take out my stock shocks...

... and replace them with a set of Bilstein Sports instead!

09 Vette 1LT. My original plan also included swapping out swap bars, but Fedex decided to throw my box off the truck which driving or something, so they got damaged. They are making the trip back across the country to the place I ordered them from.
hopefully another set will get shipped out to me tomorrow.

I have 3 roundabouts by my house which I used to test out the new setup upon completion. Everything felt really good and the car seemed more planted. Im very happy so far with how everything turned out.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Broke the 4wd range selector switch, discovered the replacement dash cluster I purchased was also broken, and discovered that the vacuum actuator for locking the front axle was nowhere to be found. And since I had the battery tray out, I wirewheeled it and sprayed it with bedliner. It'll be good for another 20 years!

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Gave the girls a good Spring bath:

FYI -- this Armor All Wheel Protectant: http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=33

...is amazing on the TT's wheels (not so amazing on the Miata's BBSs).

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Nice. Details on your TT? :) Have a shot of it closer to the Miata? Dimensionally, the Mk.2 isn't much bigger than mine, but it appears big in pictures.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

DogDodger posted:

Nice. Details on your TT? :) Have a shot of it closer to the Miata? Dimensionally, the Mk.2 isn't much bigger than mine, but it appears big in pictures.

I actually wish I could list all these exciting things I've done to it, but the truth is that it's a bone stock 2008 FWD 2.0L. In fact it still has these HORRIBLE Nexen brand tires on it that the dealer put on to save money, and they make me curse the heavens almost every day.

I've been putting all my money into the Miata as it's my track toy. In fact, the Miata still needs new shocks, alignment, maybe front sways, and a harness + harness bar. After those items I *might* direct some attention to the TT.

I do love looking at the TT, but for now it's just a glorified commuter vehicle. Tragic.

Re: size - I need to take a picture of the entire stable, actually. My GF has a MINI Cooper S. The MINI is the largest looking car of the group (and the most practical). It looks big next to that 95 Miata.

The width of the TT takes a bit of getting used to, but the length is really great, and so is the height. Wouldn't mind losing a few inches off the height overall, but it's a smaller car than the 335i it replaced.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

King-Kong posted:

I actually wish I could list all these exciting things I've done to it, but the truth is that it's a bone stock 2008 FWD 2.0L. In fact it still has these HORRIBLE Nexen brand tires on it that the dealer put on to save money, and they make me curse the heavens almost every day.

I've been putting all my money into the Miata as it's my track toy. In fact, the Miata still needs new shocks, alignment, maybe front sways, and a harness + harness bar. After those items I *might* direct some attention to the TT.

I do love looking at the TT, but for now it's just a glorified commuter vehicle. Tragic.

You have a supermodel girlfriend, but you leave her cold, alone, and neglected while you take your craigslist whore shopping at the mall, with dancing afterwards.

You won't even buy your girlfriend some decent shoes that suit her, rather that the lovely Chinese imports she's stuck wearing right now. You don't even like the drat things. For shame.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 4, 2011

Tsu
Jan 2, 2005

Please pee on this.
Changed the crappy rubber shift boot in my 9000 to a nice leather boot I purchased from a fellow on eBay. Also got a Thule fairing for the rack a few days ago and put that on.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Was an idiot today at Buttonwillow.

Went way too far up the rumble strip on a turn and dropped the right side of the car in the dirt in the process, which took sizable chunks out of the *inside* of the front passenger tire and wheel. Didn't notice this at the time. Later in the day, AGAIN put the right side of the car in the dirt coming out of Riverside, and smacked the front of the poor, suffering wheel straight into the kerb. The impact split the sidewall and made a three inch gash, and it bent the wheel (oh god I just bought these PS2s 2 weeks ago and replaced the wheel just 3 months ago :smithicide: )

I had a shop put a crappy all-season on the bent wheel so I could drive home, but it looks like I'm out the money for a new set of tires and at least a wheel (might go to 18" ones instead now). On the plus side, did do 2:09:4xx. Only ~4 seconds to go before hitting the limits of the car in stock form!

ManOfManyCats
Apr 3, 2011

I have many cats.
Today I reinstalled the VVT sensor in my 2ZZ-GE engine that I'm installing an Eaton M-62 blower on, I also ran the newly wrapped wiring for the coils. I'm getting close to starting the car after all the work I've done to it, it's a good feeling.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Coasterphreak posted:

You have a supermodel girlfriend, but you leave her cold, alone, and neglected while you take your craigslist whore shopping at the mall, with dancing afterwards.

You won't even buy your girlfriend some decent shoes that suit her, rather that the lovely Chinese imports she's stuck wearing right now. You don't even like the drat things. For shame.

Harsh. She might be beautiful to look at and sit in, but she's high maintenance and always runs my CC bill up whenever I take her out.

...besides, the other girl handles better (there, I said it).

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

King-Kong posted:

Harsh. She might be beautiful to look at and sit in, but she's high maintenance and always runs my CC bill up whenever I take her out.

...besides, the other girl handles better (there, I said it).

Touche.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Admirable Gusto posted:

Was an idiot today at Buttonwillow.

Went way too far up the rumble strip on a turn and dropped the right side of the car in the dirt in the process, which took sizable chunks out of the *inside* of the front passenger tire and wheel. Didn't notice this at the time. Later in the day, AGAIN put the right side of the car in the dirt coming out of Riverside, and smacked the front of the poor, suffering wheel straight into the kerb. The impact split the sidewall and made a three inch gash, and it bent the wheel (oh god I just bought these PS2s 2 weeks ago and replaced the wheel just 3 months ago :smithicide: )

I had a shop put a crappy all-season on the bent wheel so I could drive home, but it looks like I'm out the money for a new set of tires and at least a wheel (might go to 18" ones instead now). On the plus side, did do 2:09:4xx. Only ~4 seconds to go before hitting the limits of the car in stock form!

What car? That sucks, but the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport is out, and that could be an interesting choice. They're significantly cheaper than the PS2 for some sizes, as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I did a little stage 3 weight removal by taking the running board off plowing through deep hard snow.

Gotta fix this tomorrow

And i tried the 3M headlight restore kit, and it kinda sorta workedish. I'm going to try being a little more agressive on the other one and hopefully get it a little clearer.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Stuck near Fenton

Man, you get around - what were you doing near Fenton? I grew up somewhat near there...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Timmy Cruise posted:

Man, you get around - what were you doing near Fenton? I grew up somewhat near there...
Hah, thanks! The towtruck driver asked me the same question. I've developed a foolish but fun habit - I go for Sunday Drives. An adventure a week is what I strive for already said that, I'm a dumbass. I was trying to cross the river at the ferry crossing, thinking it would be a nice ice road like the other ferry crossings I went to this winter (I crossed at St. Laurent, east of Duck Lake, just a few hours prior to that mistake). Why? Just because I (thought I) can, how many places in the world can you just go out and drive across a frozen river, and be home in time for supper?

I'd post about my adventures but a) they're mostly quite boring (this is Saskatchewan, remember), b) my pictures mostly suck, and c) I'm waaaaaay too lazy to edit and upload my mediocre pictures in anything like a timely fashion.

EDIT: avoid repetition in my idiocy

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 5, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Trickle charged 'em all up over the weekend to now, fluids, general hose/belt/etc checkups. Still too lazy to lift the one in the air and swap out the oogly aftermarket tires with stock.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Every time I work on a GM car, I regret it.

I'm helping a friend replace S10 battery cables. No big deal. OK, positive cable requires removal of the starter to really get the bolts off of the solenoid. No big deal, starter is just two bolts. Two bolts off. Starter coming out... Nope. Won't clear the bellhousing. How much room is there? Oh, a couple millimeters until the drive gear shroud can clear the hole in the bellhousing. Recommended procedure? Remove the transmission crossmember, jack up the entire engine/transmission assembly, loosen bellhousing shroud. JUST FOR A loving STARTER? Why didn't you engineer the clearance allowances into this mess so I could take the starter out without doing all this extra BS?

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've worked on a lot of different cars over the years. One thing that always jumps out at me when I work on a GM car is just how poorly the overall assembly of the vehicle is engineered. I am constantly running into issues where removal of part X requires obscene amounts of unrelated work because the part won't clear part Y or part Z during removal like it "should" - i.e. it looks like it will clear, the service manual says it will clear, but when you're pulling the part out you find that there is literally several millimeters of clearance that you are lacking that requires you to stop completely and embark on an entirely new journey of parts removal, just to pull out the interfering part so that you can get to a part that should have taken less than five minutes to remove. Now it ends up taking an hour or more.

It's not just this starter. I've run into this doing heater cores, alternators, intake & head gaskets, and more, all on GM vehicles. They're ALL hosed. It's almost as if all of these different assemblies are designed apart from eachother with absolutely no afterthought given to service of the vehicle after initial manufacture.. Oh wait, that's EXACTLY what the problem is, and as far as I can tell, GM hasn't changed on this.

I know these things are engineered and built for assembly line manufacturing, but why is it that GM just seems to have more of these "gotcha" problems than any one else? Ford, Chrysler, I never have these problems. The only problems I have like this on some Asian or European vehicles are just due to tight packaging, but the parts eventually come out after some wrangling. GM? Lots of room under that hood, but everything is a loving challenge.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2011

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

incredibull posted:

:words: Chrysler :words:

I don't know about that, I have memories of a Dodge minivan where I had to loosen a body mount and raise the body of the car off of the frame in order to get the alternator out of the engine bay.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

thelightguy posted:

I don't know about that, I have memories of a Dodge minivan where I had to loosen a body mount and raise the body of the car off of the frame in order to get the alternator out of the engine bay.

[derail]Yeah, but that was probably all Mitsubishi beneath, wasn't it?[/derail]

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
3M headlight restore kit? Ripoff! I just use toothpaste, a rag, and some water.

Maybe a little fine grit sandpaper if its REALLY bad.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I drove a Dogde minivan (1990 Grand Caravan 3.3 SE, bitches) for more than 7 years. It was designed to be disposable. You didn't replace parts unless you hated money (note: evidence to date suggests I hate money); you just waited for the failures to accumulate and render the vehicle undriveable, then you bought another one.

Changing the oil, changing the tires, these were easy. Anything else required additional elbows, tools built to a system not used anywhere else on this planet, and frequent check-ins with a responsible person to make sure you weren't crushed underneath.

Simply throwing extraneous parts away when they inevitably fell off was fun, though.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

ExecuDork posted:

I drove a Dogde minivan (1990 Grand Caravan 3.3 SE, bitches) for more than 7 years. It was designed to be disposable. You didn't replace parts unless you hated money (note: evidence to date suggests I hate money); you just waited for the failures to accumulate and render the vehicle undriveable, then you bought another one.

Changing the oil, changing the tires, these were easy. Anything else required additional elbows, tools built to a system not used anywhere else on this planet, and frequent check-ins with a responsible person to make sure you weren't crushed underneath.

Simply throwing extraneous parts away when they inevitably fell off was fun, though.

We had a 96 Caravan. Transmission went out after about seven years, so we got it changed. The week after it came back from the shop, it caught fire when my mother was on her way to work.

This is why I don't trust shops to "fix" my car.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That just goes to show how perfectly engineered Chrysler minivans were - clearly, everything was finely calibrated to fail at exactly the same time, with the (awful, awful, horrible) A604 transmission designed to give out a week earlier than everything else as a safety feature.

In the 7 1/3 years I owned my van, I had major transmission work done twice. I'm retarded.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Put the summer tires on (actually Continental ExtremeContact DWS, so all seasons really). Shouldn't sound like I'm driving on a combination of velcro and crushed glass now.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

DogDodger posted:

What car? That sucks, but the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport is out, and that could be an interesting choice. They're significantly cheaper than the PS2 for some sizes, as well.

I have a Cayman S that is my daily driver + track slut. I've decided that 19" wheels are for posing and backache and am using this as an excuse to downsize to 18"

Just checked out the prices on Tire Rack and a set of 18" Pilot Super Sports is only $1,054 compared to $1,300 for the PS2s, and the PS2s are supposed to be less good

Of course the Hankook Ventus V12 Evos are only $600 :monocle:

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Edit:Removed

Pretty Little Rainbow fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 8, 2011

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I modified the spoiler :downs:

All this from a stupid ice scraper handle that was sticking out from the trunk... Still don't get how it got cracks all the way back there. Not sure its worth repairing but I can't find a replacement here in Finland.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm just enjoying my car at the minute. That's code for waiting for FedEx and DHL to get off their asses and push the rest of my suspension swap parts through customs.

ExecuDork posted:

That just goes to show how perfectly engineered Chrysler minivans were - clearly, everything was finely calibrated to fail at exactly the same time, with the (awful, awful, horrible) A604 transmission designed to give out a week earlier than everything else as a safety feature.

In the 7 1/3 years I owned my van, I had major transmission work done twice. I'm retarded.
It really sucks. My parents had an '84 Caravan with the 5-speed and it was rock solid. They ended up upgrading to the '93 V6 when they wanted more space and more safety, and the car basically bled money. Two automatic transmissions got replaced under warranty, almost all of the interior trim broke off, the passenger side power window fell off of its regulator about once a year and the roof was peeling when they traded it in in '99.

At one point we were heading to a family vacation on a moderate-speed secondary highway when the van just started coughing out enormous clouds of thick grey smoke and lost power. I assume now that this was the head gasket. We ended up leaving the van at the dealership (it's the weekend, why would a Dodge repair desk be open?), going back and continuing the vacation in a rusty '88 F-150 Custom. How's that for a family hauler?

I can only imagine how much things got worse after their later "redesigns" and additional features. I will happily point to that specific van as being the Worst Car In The World in lieu of contrary evidence.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ExecuDork posted:

My 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan story.

Hmmmm, back windshield is getting cloudy, that's strange....I wonder what that could b OH gently caress NO DRIVE.

Here we now shall sit.

Thank god we have beer.

This sucks.