Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Jock Mocken posted:

Yeah AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted was actually produced by the Bomb Squad, right?

also anyone who likes Pac* should listen to some Z-Ro though it ain't that he sounds like Pac; he sounds like stress. Boosie is another rapper that draws Pac comparisons

*actually everyone should listen to Z-Ro

I loving love boosie. He is pure evil. I can't really explain it more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Going back to this, finally took the time to listen and it's real nice, liking this a lot. The ones you mentioned are nice, also really dug Erica & Jamie and Smell My Cologne. I see some of the Andre 3000 influence (a couple tracks would've fit in on Love Below imo) but it's not too heavy and they still do their own thing. You know who does the production cause it's really very varied?

apparently Picnic Tyme produced the whole album. I'd never heard of them, but I'm gonna keep an eye out from now on

http://www.picnictyme.com/

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Jock Mocken posted:

Yeah AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted was actually produced by the Bomb Squad, right?

yessir

powerful drum sound
Mar 18, 2009

Cizzo posted:

So I really want to get into some good hyphy music but I don't really know where to look aside from E-40. Point me in the right direction as I want to expand my hip hop knowledge.

Honestly the best way to get into hyphy is to just go through the Rick Rock discography. The Federation album is a great place to start. Most of that freaked-out synth madness style hyphy has faded out in the last few years but a bunch of new producers are taking it into really interesting and menacing futuristic directions: DJ Fresh, Royce on the Beat, and Young L are my favorites right now and there's still a ton of others. Martian slap poo poo.

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
my favorite hyphy track was produced by dj shadow of all people.

3 freaks feat. keak and and turf talk.

http://vimeo.com/4517775

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
ayo, sorry to interupt yalls hyphy childrens music discussion- ayo god whoever posted big tone tones blogspot, in the last joint, nahmeen- it's the funniest poo poo I've ever read. God cypha divine. Word bond I can't even read the joint cause the god be laughin too hard, crying and poo poo. Here the link again, maybe one of you lil smart-dumb cats can read it to me:

http://bigghostnahmean.blogspot.com/

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

dethkon posted:

ayo, sorry to interupt yalls hyphy childrens music discussion- ayo god whoever posted big tone tones blogspot, in the last joint, nahmeen- it's the funniest poo poo I've ever read. God cypha divine. Word bond I can't even read the joint cause the god be laughin too hard, crying and poo poo. Here the link again, maybe one of you lil smart-dumb cats can read it to me:

This is better than any great American novel. Just...amazing...

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

Bulging Nipples posted:

apparently Picnic Tyme produced the whole album. I'd never heard of them, but I'm gonna keep an eye out from now on

They get respect for using the "Me So Horny" sample in a way that wasn't corny as hell.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
Here's another Complex list by the same guy that did the yay area one but this time it's all about E-40

Also I am really hype for this Easy Money 3 tape by P. Dukes to drop, the last one was good but the two tracks I've heard off of this are straight fire. "Away" is the better song, but the start of the second verse on "My Grind" addresses a familiar topic in a cool way:

quote:

What the radio's playin ain't the same thing I stand fo'/
Makes me wanna cut my ear off this is Van Gogh/
And labels still playin' niggas like a banjo/
They hate you when you spittin but they love ya when yo dance go/
I could run up in they office like Rambo/
And catch an assault charge but I can't afford to gamble...

How many songs reference Vincent Van Gogh and John Rambo within 3 lines of each other?

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 1, 2011

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

New Fat Trel tape dropped today.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4LJTWZJ2

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

WHO THE FUCK TOLD ME NOT TO SPOKE?
Whoever recommended Slow Suicide Stimulus when I asked about Cage/WM/EC type rap, thank you. It took me awhile but I saw Bipolar HiRollers as a recommended video and it's been on repeat for awhile now. I'm still amazed that Tame is able to write crazy verses when every video I see him in, he looks more hosed up than I could ever hope to be.

Oh yeah, Ill Bill x Vinnie Paz album drops in 4 days, if anyone besides me cares v:shobon:v I still like the track Heavy Metal Kings more than anything I've heard off it but I'm still hyped.

Edit: white people rap

Backup Snacks fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 2, 2011

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
Hey guys, sorry if this was mentioned already, but a Notorious mixtape with various remixes and blends dropped in March and it is absolutely ridiculous: http://www.datpiff.com/Notorious-BIG-Notorious-3000-mixtape.206942.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYPcPvGV3QU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

alansmithee posted:

TBH if you're gonna speak about what hip-hop is, it would add more weight if your screen name was KRS-1 rather than some southern clown.

What? Juicy J is "some southern clown"? Do you like "Sippin On Some Syrup" or "Rainbow Colors"? If not it is probably because you have bad taste, not because he is a clown.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Lucas posted:

New Fat Trel tape dropped today.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4LJTWZJ2
Since no info was provided, Fat Trel is I guess some dude out of the Anticon stable. Think he's from Seattle or something. Probably who they got to replace Sole lol. But yeah, this has some spaced-out production, think Boards of Canada with a bit more drums. Rapping's ok if you go for the whole superscientifical abstract wizard type poo poo

or he's actually a dude from DC area who's rhyming over Luger beats, among others. Haven't gave the tape a full listen yet, was gonna post about it after I did but seems solid, little different twist on gangsta rap. not really feeling the name of his crew though (slutty boys???)

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

What? Juicy J is "some southern clown"? Do you like "Sippin On Some Syrup" or "Rainbow Colors"? If not it is probably because you have bad taste, not because he is a clown.

At times I like listening to the parts of the song that actually happen between the hooks, and that's the part Juicy J is really bad at. You know, that whole "rap" thing. Sorry you mad because you listen to junk (also wasn't this over with awhile ago?)

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

cardedagain posted:

speaking of southern rappers, does anybody know much about this rapper from Memphis named marcus.?

Finally got around to checking his mixtape out, i kinda dig it. it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's solid. Love the beat on Kush. Also adding to hooks that make me bust out laughing, "last night i was in yo guts, uh huh!"

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, so here's my question: do you (serious hip-hop heads) genuinely dislike Aesop Rock and/or think he's a bad rapper, or is the issue just exasperation with all the indie kids who are like "Aesop is the best rapper ever, this is what hip-hop should be."

(Yeah, I'm a white dude from indie kid roots, and I liked Aesop years before I actually liked hip-hop in general, but I've been listening to lots of hip-hop for the past couple years, and I just revisited Aesop and still think his stuff is pretty drat good.)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

onefish posted:

Okay, so here's my question: do you (serious hip-hop heads) genuinely dislike Aesop Rock and/or think he's a bad rapper, or is the issue just exasperation with all the indie kids who are like "Aesop is the best rapper ever, this is what hip-hop should be."

(Yeah, I'm a white dude from indie kid roots, and I liked Aesop years before I actually liked hip-hop in general, but I've been listening to lots of hip-hop for the past couple years, and I just revisited Aesop and still think his stuff is pretty drat good.)

I like Aes, and some people in here might as well, but not sure. I think there's a lot of internet wanna-be thug poo poo mixed in with cornballs jockeying for e-cred but there's a lot of issues I could see someone having with him. He's def not for everybody, his rhyming is...obscure at best and a lot of times his production he raps over strays away from more traditional boom-bap poo poo. Aes and a bunch of dudes who are lumped in with him a lot of the time have an aesthetic that might not appeal to a lot of people, and it's not all necessarily from backlash or whatever.

The other thing I almost always say is like what you like. You can choose to defend it or not, but I'd say 99.97% of people like something that could def be considered suspect by someone so it's not unusual.

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

onefish posted:

I'm a white dude who listens to 90s indie rock and quite a bit of RhymeSayers/Def Jux "backpacker" poo poo but the only Aesop I can tolerate is One of Four and when he's on a Weathermen track. I've read his lyrics and dude can flip words and write some cool metaphors but when I'm listening to hip hop and I have to relisten to something or bust out a dictionary, I'm not gonna be able to get into it. I'd definitely buy a book from the guy, but his style just grates on me.

Oh wait, you said "serious hip-hop heads" but in the SAGSKTA, that term is reserved for a few prestigious posters. :angel:

Also, alansmithee, we've had our differences in the past but I totally see where you're coming from with the southern rap poo poo. I can get into Scarface, The Geto Boys, UGK, and a few others but the style (especially the poo poo that get's the most exposure these days) seems way too formulaic for me and since I've been messing around with production, the beats sound so loving boring 99% of the time. I do have a ton of respect for the DIY, sell tapes out of your car aspect but I can only hear about how much someone with millions of dollars is making it snow at the traphouse for half a track before I turn it off. Which is probably why I can't stand Rick Ross and constantly wonder how he's doing features like Wayne was in 05-08 or whatever.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Backup Snacks posted:

Oh wait, you said "serious hip-hop heads" but in the SAGSKTA, that term is reserved for a few prestigious posters. :angel:

Haha, good to know. Your opinion still counts, most people in the thread are still probably higher up on the hip-hop knowledge scale than I am...

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

onefish posted:

i like Aes Rock, also, i look like him.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

I'll be honest and cop to the fact that I don't have any idea what Sage Francis sounds like even though I'm pretty sure I've heard him on at least a youtube feature or something and the only Aesop Rock I know I've listened to is some stuff from Labor Days which was pretty decent.

The only reason I used them as a punchline on the first page was bc the Senate was being dumb and saying those guys is the go-to "fake goon rap recommendation" joke at this point v:shobon:v

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Backup Snacks posted:

I can only hear about how much someone with millions of dollars is making it snow at the traphouse for half a track before I turn it off. Which is probably why I can't stand Rick Ross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4fVKNq2XFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjpaUViAyj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JopHS8Ywihg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQs6hBXnnmk

Asshole Frat Boy
Dec 4, 2004

You're the only man who's ever been inside of me.

dethkon posted:

this is the best thing I've ever seen

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

Ah, the youtube link counter argument. I skipped to Raekwon's verse on his feature but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

I'm thinking it was either: 1) "Jay and Raekwon rap about the same poo poo" I listen to a ton of artists who rap about selling coke, I was specifically talking about the Gucci Mane, Jeezy, Baby style. 2) "Rick Ross can make tracks and get dope features" I will go out of my way to skip the shittiness of that Kanye/Rae/Bieber monstrosity to hear Rae's verse, Rick Ross is still terrible. Or 3) Something about the content of the music, I can't comment on that because I'm not gonna listen to 4 Rick Ross tracks.

I could be way off but youtube arguments are hard to decipher.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I didn't catch the name. Now I'm assuming it has something to do with the consciousness of something. That was one of the most hilarious derails in the old thread. I'll go take a shower and listen to some Common and forget about this little tiff.

Backup Snacks fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 2, 2011

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-

alansmithee posted:

The other thing I almost always say is like what you like. You can choose to defend it or not, but I'd say 99.97% of people like something that could def be considered suspect by someone so it's not unusual.

This x1000, so many people are worried about what they like and what people will think about it... OR they basically like the "safe" choices (i.e. what just played on the radio/CD/iPod/what have you).. Like what YOU like, I hate people that are intolerant of other people's tastes..

..Now that's not to say quit bashing everyone that just *LOVES* Lil' Wayne lololz... and I'm all for educating the ignorant, but stuff hits people's ears different.. and everyone's entitled to their own opinion (except Lil Wayne, shut him & his ghost writers up immediately please)

Oh and did I mention how much I don't like Lil' Wayne?

Edit: On the topic of Raekwon -- Snake Pond -- beat is sick

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Backup Snacks posted:

Edit: Oh poo poo, I didn't catch the name. Now I'm assuming it has something to do with the consciousness of something. That was one of the most hilarious derails in the old thread. I'll go take a shower and listen to some Common and forget about this little tiff.

Oh wow you like to listen to Common in the shower too? Make sure you use conditioner for lube, shampoo burns if it gets in.

Also

Common posted:

Who am I to judge one's perspective?
Though some of that poo poo y'all pop true it, I ain't relating
If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hating

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
This thread gets progressively worse every time I read it.

But in line with the Ghostface blog linked earlier, I just want to promote the gently caress out of the audiobook The World According To Pretty Toney and recommend everyone obtain a copy ASAP. Stop reading this and place your order. It will change your life.

Not on board, yet? Watch this collection of video shorts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahbTTJlWnmI

"The Hustler's Diet" is especially invaluable in these hard economic times.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Cosigning the Ghostface book. Knowledge.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Honestly this should be posted in a sticky in the Watch & Weight subforum.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

True story some of my roommate's friends were over at our pad earlier and they were playing their little mix cd and "gently caress You" was on there which everyone enjoyed. the next track was loving "Like a G6" so I briefly hijacked the sound system to show them Cee-Lo's true talent and put on Big Ole Words. None of them really liked it and one dude even said he thought Cee-Lo sounded like a bitch (seriously) so I let them go back to playing whatever. ugh

Dear Cee-Lo: it's cool that you're doin' the singing thing cause I know you've always wanted to do that ever since the Soul Food intro but your new so-called fans have no idea that the good die mostly over bullshit. So can we please just get a new Goodie Mob album already?

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

vanbags posted:

This thread gets progressively worse every time I read it.

I knew no one was gonna read the OP or follow the guidelines but I tried! really I did

anyway some dude was asking about Memphis poo poo a couple pages ago so why don't you drop some knowledge even though I know you've done it before. Actually if you don't mind, maybe you could write something up that I could stick in that placeholder post. I keep meaning to go through the old threads and pull out info but maybe it'd be better to just rewrite the stuff I did anyway.

Which reminds me, you put me onto Playa Fly in that old discussion. What do you think of that "Blast Off" joint? I really love the line "Pop like a firecracker, cut like a weedwhacker, been a cheesehead, Green Bay Packer" for some reason

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
You should have known better. I'm mostly banned from the sound system at house parties when I'm around familiar people.

It appears in 2011 no one really wants to hear cuts from Nore. You can't tell these young'ns poo poo about "Oh No".

Jock Mocken posted:

Which reminds me, you put me onto Playa Fly in that old discussion. What do you think of that "Blast Off" joint? I really love the line "Pop like a firecracker, cut like a weedwhacker, been a cheesehead, Green Bay Packer" for some reason
Not crazy about the beat, but Fly went in. He hasn't lost a step. I didn't get too excited about it though because Mafia All Day seeing the light of day looks about as promising as Detox. The guy has been out of prison for 6 years now and we have about two tracks to show for?

I think a lot of my love for Fly just comes from nostalgia though. He was basically my favorite rapper in grade and middle school. Then I discovered Illmatic and Reasonable Doubt and my hard-on for 90s east coast was born.

As far as the Memphis megapost, I could probably be assed to do another one. Or maybe just a dirty south one in general which I believe I've posted before too. If I have a lazy Sunday I'll piece one together.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 2, 2011

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Holy poo poo I am dying at the Big Ghost blog, he rips into Drake so fierce.

Loved his Top 10 Softest Rappers list that was linked last thread too. I'm glad I can call Wiz Khalifa "baby thighs" when my friend plays his poo poo. Whole aura is moist son

Just picked up Jay-Z's Decoded (from the library) too. Gonna devour that this weekend. The excerpt I read hooked me. Big Hova fanboy here. Anybody read it yet?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Just got back from an OFWGKTA concert, what a show. I'd heard a few of their tracks here, but really hadn't paid much attention to the hype train.

I went as the driver/bodyguard of a kid I teach snowboarding. Family wanted a chaperone for him and his friends, basically, and none of the parents wanted to do it.

Their stage presence is still pretty raw, and it will be interesting to see how they evolve, but there's so much energy onstage and in the crowd. It's like being at a punk concert in the late 70s or early 80s. Mosh pits, elbows, sweat, girls getting naked, it's all there.

I would definitely pay to see them again, even though I still don't like all their tracks. The experience is well worth it.

Looking forward to Tyler's new album "Goblins"

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

vanbags posted:

You should have known better. I'm mostly banned from the sound system at house parties when I'm around familiar people.

As far as the Memphis megapost, I could probably be assed to do another one. Or maybe just a dirty south one in general which I believe I've posted before too. If I have a lazy Sunday I'll piece one together.

Yeah you're right though I have had good results in some settings just falling back on classic Rap-A-Lot, Cash Money and No Limit tracks. Nobody doesn't like Back That Azz Up.

I couldn't decide whether to talk about the standards or what's going on now. Probably I'll throw in a little of both, but you definitely know more about Memphis than me. Oh, I guess Starlito is working with Gotti now? I just dled this Trash Bag Gang tape, I'll post about it after I get a chance to listen

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-
Cee-Lo & Ben Harper are supposed to headline a music festival in my hometown this summer..

And on the topic of OFWGKTA, new track: Domo Genesis & Hodgy Beats - Tang Golf

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
just wanna post this aesop song because if you didnt like None Shall Pass you're broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9qJS-GG-c

right now what are you doing? what are you do-ing.?

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
You can't mention Memphis without Memphis Bleek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm0AmwTOo3E

also, caveman, be careful when calling aesop rock just aesop. There was this AWFUL white rapper in the late 90s - early 2000 who got shows and all kinds of poo poo just riding that name. Google gives me nothing but trust, he was awful, and I know he had at least an album or two out.

Tribal Rival fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 2, 2011

Admiral BJ
May 28, 2005
Kicking ass and taking names

Jock Mocken posted:

Yeah you're right though I have had good results in some settings just falling back on classic Rap-A-Lot, Cash Money and No Limit tracks. Nobody doesn't like Back That Azz Up.

I couldn't decide whether to talk about the standards or what's going on now. Probably I'll throw in a little of both, but you definitely know more about Memphis than me. Oh, I guess Starlito is working with Gotti now? I just dled this Trash Bag Gang tape, I'll post about it after I get a chance to listen

Haha I went to High School with "Starlito" or "All-Star". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hume-Fogg_High_School

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

Rereading my posts, I feel like I came off as an ignorant dick at points. To repent, here's one of my favorite tracks someone posted in the last thread: Celph Titled & Buckwild ft R.A. - Mad Ammo

• Locked thread