Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Those racks are good in a toolbox too, they fit in a shallow drawer but keep the wrenches popped up for easy grabbin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idave03
Mar 11, 2011
I dont blame oscar. Id be drooling over em too!

idave03
Mar 11, 2011

Geoj posted:

Well looks like I'm off to the local junkyard, or else spend $130 on this: http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/_massive_speed_system_/massive_trophy_valve_cover_hardware_kit/g-59030.aspx which I guess isn't that bad of a deal, comes with a $30 gasket, the bushings and an oil filler cap that looks a lot better than the plastic one it came with...

Dont hold me to it but Im pretty sure I saw some similar brass flange fittings at menards in the hardware section. I was looking for cotter pins and im inclined to say I saw some fittings that could very well suit your needs. my local menard's hardware section is actually pretty cool. they have a bunch of unusual fittings and parts that come in handy when you're in a crunch. Check it out

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I was thinking about canvas roll-up bags. I don't have a toolbox really, and I need something that'll throw in the back of the Scout and keep things safe while bouncing about off-road.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

skipdogg posted:

So my stepdad did me a couple pretty big favors and I'd like to get him a gift. He really needs a new bit driver for his drill. Can someone recommend a super nice magnetic bit driver?

He's a GC by trade, so he's hard on his tools, but appreciates nice stuff.

I was thinking about getting him this as a thank you

http://www.montanabrandtools.com/PageID/124/CategoryID/157/RootCategoryID/0/MBT_Category.aspx

but I've also read online that Apex Tools is basically the poo poo and I should get him something like this http://www.tylertool.com/apm4magbitho.html

Can anyone recommend a super nice bit driver set, preferably 'Made in the USA'?

I've got a nice set, its designed for Impact drivers, but works fine in any drill.
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-32-4401-Shockwave-Driver-29-Piece/dp/B002KKBBT2

I've run thousands of screw through the 1/4" driver extension, and its still as good as day 1. Just FYI, only the longer bits are meant for impact use, the shorter ones are normal bits.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sharkytm posted:

I've got a nice set, its designed for Impact drivers, but works fine in any drill.
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-32-4401-Shockwave-Driver-29-Piece/dp/B002KKBBT2

I've run thousands of screw through the 1/4" driver extension, and its still as good as day 1. Just FYI, only the longer bits are meant for impact use, the shorter ones are normal bits.

Thanks! He has almost the entire M12 line so this will be a nice addition to his set.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone have any experience with Harbor Freight trailers? They go on sale next week. I have a 220 MIG Welder I can pull out if needed for assembly.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I wouldn't want to trust one at its rated capacity, and I suspect their bearings aren't of the highest quality, but how bad can you mess up a utility trailer?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
They are very popular in the autocross/track crowd as tire trailers.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Any recommendations for a good 1/2" torque wrench? Preferably not too expensive.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I bought a Craftsman 1/2" drive five years ago and its never given me any problems. Most critical job I ever used it for was torquing the flywheel bolts on my Focus, but I did end up lending it to a friend of mine who's a diesel mechanic when he changed jobs from a shop that provided all his tools to one that didn't. He said on the first day he compared it against a matco wrench someone else had and it was +/- 1 ft-lb.

I think I paid $65 on sale...looks like they're $80 at Sears now.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Clank posted:

Any recommendations for a good 1/2" torque wrench? Preferably not too expensive.

I have a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive torque wrench that I got for $9.99. My father works for a pneumatic and hydraulic manufacturer that has highly critical torque specs and I asked him to calibrate my Harbor Frieght torque wrench for me. They did their testing on it, and it tested within +-3% accurate.. and this was after I'd used it several times. drat good for a $9.99 torque wrench. Though, who knows for how long it will stay that accurate, I was pretty drat impressed with its initial quality.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Brain Issues posted:

I have a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive torque wrench that I got for $9.99. My father works for a pneumatic and hydraulic manufacturer that has highly critical torque specs and I asked him to calibrate my Harbor Frieght torque wrench for me. They did their testing on it, and it tested within +-3% accurate.. and this was after I'd used it several times. drat good for a $9.99 torque wrench. Though, who knows for how long it will stay that accurate, I was pretty drat impressed with its initial quality.

I'd be careful with HF torque wrenches. I bought one before I had the Craftsman...when I was installing an exhaust header I gave my less than mechanically inclined friend who was assisting me the job of torquing the header bolts with it, and he wrenched away until he sheared off the bolt head (and the wrench never clicked.) I'd probably test its function before using it on anything critical.

Also, define "not too expensive." Torque wrenches run a p wide price range, from $10-1000 and probably higher than that if you get into aerospace grade tools.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Clank posted:

Canadian? Get a Mastercraft Maximum when they pop on sale (roughly every three months).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

I'd be careful with HF torque wrenches. I bought one before I had the Craftsman...when I was installing an exhaust header I gave my less than mechanically inclined friend who was assisting me the job of torquing the header bolts with it, and he wrenched away until he sheared off the bolt head (and the wrench never clicked.) I'd probably test its function before using it on anything critical.

Some 1/2" torque wrenches can rathcet both ways, but in turn, you flip-flop the square drive itself. One way is with click, the other way is without. Just be careful, and try at a low setting before you go balls to the wall.

I found out just before I overtorqued something on my brother's brand new insanely expensive road bike frame.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Sockington posted:

Canadian? Get a Mastercraft Maximum when they pop on sale (roughly every three months).

Yea, thats what I was looking at. The smaller one is on sale now and I would wait for the 1/2" one to go on sale but I kinda need to put the wheels back on my motorcycle.

edit: Wow, just checked and now they are both on sale. Probably gonna pick them both up.

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 30, 2011

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I painted my rear bumper with the red plasti dip spray. It took me four cans. It didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but I could have prepped it better. It looks good from 5-10ft though.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Geoj posted:

a p wide price range

p sure you need to stop doing this

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

I painted my rear bumper with the red plasti dip spray. It took me four cans. It didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but I could have prepped it better. It looks good from 5-10ft though.

Maybe it's just the photo, but it seems to match pretty well.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Was given a pair of these today by a friend and I have to say, they look pretty awesome and usefull.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-clip-on-pour-spout-95384.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I recently bought a decent air compressor off of craigslist.(A 4.5hp 20 Gal Craftsman, oiless for those interested.) and I've been buying air tools recently. Bought an air shear, cut off tool, grinders, and a whole other bunch. But every time I go to the store I see the air sanders, and I'm wondering, is there any advantage to an air sander over a regular electric one? They appear to be standard orbitals, so I'm just curious.

Also, I need to get some spray guns. Can someone point in the direction of a good set? I've been looking at that 3 set Devibiss has for $150.

VVV Which one? And how quick is HF's shipping? Because the nearest one to me is a 2 hour drive away VVV

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 31, 2011

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ExplodingSims posted:

So I recently bought a decent air compressor off of craigslist.(A 4.5hp 20 Gal Craftsman, oiless for those interested.) and I've been buying air tools recently. Bought an air shear, cut off tool, grinders, and a whole other bunch. But every time I go to the store I see the air sanders, and I'm wondering, is there any advantage to an air sander over a regular electric one? They appear to be standard orbitals, so I'm just curious.

Also, I need to get some spray guns. Can someone point in the direction of a good set? I've been looking at that 3 set Devibiss has for $150.

Get the Harbor freight Purple gun. You won't be good enough to use anything else until you get a lot of practice using a paint gun.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

MomJeans420 posted:

Maybe it's just the photo, but it seems to match pretty well.

The color is pretty close match, it's just a matte finish. The picture does make it look much better than it is. It had to go on pretty thick for the black plastic to not show through. you can also see where some of the old paint was that hadn't flaked off. Overall I'm fairly happy with it. It's one color now so it looks less lovely.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Suniikaa posted:

Was given a pair of these today by a friend and I have to say, they look pretty awesome and usefull.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-clip-on-pour-spout-95384.html

Now that is nifty. I have a couple of giant bendy straw-like things that I keep with spare oil in the car (a lot smaller and easier to store compared to a funnel), but they kind of suck and can spill a bit. I'll have to pick one of those up. Would be nice if they fit coolant and other fluid bottles too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

The color is pretty close match, it's just a matte finish. The picture does make it look much better than it is. It had to go on pretty thick for the black plastic to not show through. you can also see where some of the old paint was that hadn't flaked off. Overall I'm fairly happy with it. It's one color now so it looks less lovely.

You're supposed to be able to spray clear coat over the plastidip, but I haven't investigated to see which kinds work best. I still have clear coat meant for auto body paint, so I figured that would work fine if needed. If you care you might want to search for other people who've done it and see which one works best (or just stick with the matte finish).

chucky.z
Mar 28, 2011
Man, I wish I could find a pic of these, but my local sears had an "8-in-2" gearwrench ratcheting wrenches set.

8/10mm reversable on one end, 12/13mm on the other, then the second one is 16/17, then 18/19.

They are pretty awesome.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

MomJeans420 posted:

You're supposed to be able to spray clear coat over the plastidip, but I haven't investigated to see which kinds work best. I still have clear coat meant for auto body paint, so I figured that would work fine if needed. If you care you might want to search for other people who've done it and see which one works best (or just stick with the matte finish).

I'm just going to stick with the matte finish. I was originally going to paint the whole car but it's just going to cost too much. It would look pretty cool though. I also suck at doing even coats without runs.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Are there any torque wrenches that can be used with an impact wrench?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

grover posted:

Are there any torque wrenches that can be used with an impact wrench?

Torque sticks.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Yes :)

You do have to be careful with them though, things like extensions will throw them off.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Oh, that's awesome- such a simple yet brilliant concept, I always just assumed they were just extensions that wouldn't break if you used them with an impact wrench. Definitely going to have to pick one up for my track box, thanks guys :D

Quick question: my lugs require 130NM/96ft-lb of torque, which is in between standard torque sticks. How close does this really need to be to be safe? I'm thinking use the 90 and then tighten up with my torque wrench. I'd like to be able to skip the extra torque wrench step, though.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 1, 2011

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Unless you're cleaning and oiling the threads and using a recently calibrated wrench and everything is at 68oF then you're going to be off by +/- 10% or more. The torque sticks themselves are only good to within 3% under ideal conditions anyway.

I'd grab a 100ft-lb stick and call it good enough.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
As far as I understood, torque sticks are only good for a range "x to x ft-lbs or NMs". They're meant to be used with a torque wrench, not as a substitute, unless the application specifically says "use a stick with this range" (some FSMs will say this for lugs and stuff).

They're meant so you can drive stuff fast and then tidy up, rather than slow all around; you still save time using them. If you want real specific torques out of an airgun you're probably looking at at least a couple thousand dollars.

Side note: test them a couple times a year to verify they're not breaking down, they can fail slowly from use the same way a torque wrench will slowly uncalibrate (probably oughta test your torque wrenches at the same time).

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Honestly, they're good enough for "tight enough not to fall off but not so tight the wheel gets damaged/things strip out." Which is what torque specs for lugnuts are generally meant to accomplish anyway.

That said, I still usually check a few lugs with a torque wrench after to make sure the stick isn't severely wrong.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Got a new floorjack for my birthday from my girlfriend. It's an American Forge&Foundry 200t. It weighs 100lbs because it isn't that wimpy aluminum poo poo.

It starts very low at just 2.75" and raises all the way up to 20". It also has a nice rubber padded saddle. I'm loving this jack. :swoon:

http://www.mile-x.com/aff-200t-floor-jack.aspx

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Brain Issues posted:

Got a new floorjack for my birthday from my girlfriend. It's an American Forge&Foundry 200t. It weighs 100lbs because it isn't that wimpy aluminum poo poo.

It starts very low at just 2.75" and raises all the way up to 20". It also has a nice rubber padded saddle. I'm loving this jack. :swoon:

http://www.mile-x.com/aff-200t-floor-jack.aspx

Looks a lot like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profile-floor-service-jack-67022.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

No way, Harbor Freight has a cheap knockoff? (look at the side rails, the HF one is MUCH thinner... and it weighs 25% less.)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

meatpimp posted:

No way, Harbor Freight has a cheap knockoff? (look at the side rails, the HF one is MUCH thinner... and it weighs 25% less.)

The one he posted is heavier?? I really like my orange one, except that its already pretty heavy just around the garage.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

eddiewalker posted:

The one he posted is heavier?? I really like my orange one, except that its already pretty heavy just around the garage.

Yeah man the one I have weighs 100lbs, the side rails are much thicker than the HF one, and mine also starts just very slightly lower than that HF one. 2.75" vs 2.875"

Also, the handle on mine has a thick foam pad to prevent scratches/dings to rear and front bumpers while you pump it up.

Mine also has a thick-as-hell rubber padded saddle while the HF one just has a metal piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Where in the poo poo can I find a complete set of 3/8" drive metric sockets (6-24mm or so)? HF doesn't have anything more than 10 pieces, and everywhere else I've looked wants to sell them individually.