Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Faffel posted:

Also, I tuned my bass guitar down a full-step and started playing around with the blues scale. I'm so loving glad you guys talked me out of getting rid of my bass guitar. Goddamn. I love this thing right now. It sounds so loving heavy when tuned down a step. Do you need a special type of effects box for bass, or do regular electric guitar boxes work well with bass?

For fuzz you can get away with guitar pedals but you'll usually lose some of the low end, but if you're just playing alone that's not really a big deal. Bass Big Muffs are great for the price, but I would just find some used pedals and look up reviews.

And yeah, bass can be way more fun than a guitar once it clicks. Just don't slap or play like an rear end in a top hat and you'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Faffel posted:

Also, I tuned my bass guitar down a full-step and started playing around with the blues scale. I'm so loving glad you guys talked me out of getting rid of my bass guitar. Goddamn. I love this thing right now. It sounds so loving heavy when tuned down a step. Do you need a special type of effects box for bass, or do regular electric guitar boxes work well with bass?

Try tuning it to C too, it's pretty common as well. Might be pushing it unless you get heavier gauge strings though. I play in C with .130 - .65, it's basically a 5 string set on a 4 string. Tension is perfect for the tuning and I could go lower if i wanted to.

For effects yeah you either need a tube amp or a distortion / fuzz box. Some bands like EHG for example have a clean bass but it's not that common. I've got a Bad Monkey (guitar pedal but works with bass. More of a booster than a fuzz though), Bass Muff (good fuzz if a bit generic. Well worth the 80 bucks) and a Boss ODB-3 (I use this one. I've got an Orange Terror Bass head and a distortion pedal sounds better than a fuzz). If you want a cheap, ok fuzz check out Behringer pedals. They break in 6 months but if you only play at home one should be durable enough.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 1, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dyna Soar posted:

Try tuning it to C too, it's pretty common as well. Might be pushing it unless you get heavier gauge strings though. I play in C with .130 - .65, it's basically a 5 string set on a 4 string. Tension is perfect for the tuning and I could go lower if i wanted to.

For effects yeah you either need a tube amp or a distortion / fuzz box. Some bands like EHG for example have a clean bass but it's not that common. I've got a Bad Monkey (guitar pedal but works with bass. More of a booster than a fuzz though), Bass Muff (good fuzz if a bit generic. Well worth the 80 bucks) and a Boss ODB-3 (I use this one. I've got an Orange Terror Bass head and a distortion pedal sounds better than a fuzz). If you want a cheap, ok fuzz check out Behringer pedals. They break in 6 months but if you only play at home one should be durable enough.

I don't think I can drop to C because my strings get too sloppy, but maybe when I can grab some bigger strings I'll try it out.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to look into a Behringer pedal just because I'm a budget bass player so it sounds perfect for me.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Behringer's a pretty terrible company and all they do is steal other companies' designs and switch the parts out with the cheapest Radio Shack crap they can find. But if you're buying a fuzz pedal, the SF300 is supposedly a clone of the Boss FZ-2, which is the Electric Wizard pedal. The Boss ODB-3 works great with bass and guitar. King Buzzo's live setup is an ODB-3 through Sunn preamps.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 1, 2011

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

cheap sunglasses posted:

Behringer's a pretty terrible company and all they do is steal other companies' designs and switch the parts out with the cheapest Radio Shack crap they can find. But if you're buying a fuzz pedal, the SF300 is supposedly a clone of the Boss FZ-2, which is the Electric Wizard pedal. The Boss ODB-3 works great with bass and guitar. King Buzzo's live setup is an ODB-3 through Sunn preamps.

I would buy from more respectable, but I'm seriously broke and I can barely play my bass. The one I bought came with a Behringer amp and, in all honesty, it has a nice sound for how cheap it was. This Behringer Superfuzz looks pretty cool as well, so thanks for the tip. I was hoping to find something under the $50 mark and this looks like it fits the budget.

E: I swear reality changed on me. I never, EVER noticed the tentacles on the cover for Dopesmoker for years and years. It's only today, looking at the cover art, that I realize what it actually is. I could have sworn for years that it was just a Mongol or Arab riding a horse with his army behind him. What the gently caress is wrong with my eyes?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 1, 2011

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Truth be told you ought to be able to find something half-decent used on ebay or craigslist for under $50. Stuff like amps and effects you really don't need to purchase new, because they're designed to last and you can usually sell them for about what you paid used.

e: the Boss DS-1 also works well on bass, and they're about $40 new.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 1, 2011

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ Buying used is sage advice if you know what you're buying. Still, a behringer is an ok pedal and if you look past the stealing and radio shack components it should work well. Still, you can get a great deal from ebay.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Check out the new Boris song from Heavy Rocks, Riot Sugar. MP3 download here. First impressions are very good, best Boris I've heard in a long time. Really looking forward to this album now.

This album cover looks... familiar...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The productivity of Boris always astounds me.
Anyone hear Attention Please yet? Very different stuff.

That new song is loving great, can't wait for Heavy Rocks 2011.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 1, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Agreed on the topic of Boris' insane amount of output, but seriously? This song is rocking all your socks? I'm seriously disappointed, maybe I need to listen to it again a few times...

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Yeah it seems like they had half an idea and stretched it out to an entire track. While on the subject, did anyone else like whatever the first of this year's Boris records was called? I know someone here said they didn't care for it, but I thought it was alright.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Russian doom/stoner, these guys are amazing. These guys have an EP that came out in 2010 and as far as I can tell is free to download legally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nxWMGWCdz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5a5_Afx7A0

They are called Kamni which means stone in Russian.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Polegrinder posted:

Kamni

:worship: :worship: :worship:

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011
Kamni rules. Here's Brainoil, dirty California sludge/hardcore. Seems like they broke up after releasing one album a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06TSgaHbq-0&feature=related

live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSylE8zJuI

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

did anyone else like whatever the first of this year's Boris records was called? I know someone here said they didn't care for it, but I thought it was alright.

Was that Klatter with Merzbow or the pop style album?

Also Kamni rule.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

cheap sunglasses posted:

Yeah it seems like they had half an idea and stretched it out to an entire track. While on the subject, did anyone else like whatever the first of this year's Boris records was called? I know someone here said they didn't care for it, but I thought it was alright.

Do you mean 'New Album'? it's an odd J-rock with an industrial influence album. I personally love it because any type of music does it for me and Boris do whatever they do well.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

NuclearGuru posted:

Kamni rules. Here's Brainoil, dirty California sludge/hardcore. Seems like they broke up after releasing one album a few years ago.

Brainoil has 2 albums, "Demo" and "Brainoil".

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

amplifier worship posted:

Polegrinder posted:

Kamni
:worship: :worship: :worship:
This, exactly this. Holy poo poo. If the rest of the EP is as good as the first 3 minutes of the first song Polegrinder linked...

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Was that Klatter with Merzbow or the pop style album?

Also Kamni rule.

Klatter was first, but it sounds like he was talking about New Album. Klatter was pretty great, but I am also a big fan of all their collaborations with Merzbow.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Speaking of genre-hopping bands, has anyone here checked out "Leng Tch'e" by Naked City? Slow, doomy stuff from this group of experimental avant-jazz/grindcore weirdos. I would link it, but all the YouTubes are less than ten minutes of this 31-minute track........

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
It's definitely the least cheesy thing they've done. Painkiller was much better at melding faux-jazz with extreme music, mostly because Zorn got people who knew how to play metal for that one. The Toll is pretty much a reunion of the version of Napalm Death which recorded side A of Scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpKFobFY19Q

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Via Ufomammut:

Twitter posted:

Hey guys! Don't buy the Eve tour vinyls on ebay by people selling them for a lot. We've enough for You left and they'll be on sale on monday

schizorage
Dec 26, 2005

treetheheavy posted:

Truckfighters are planning a US tour

Valley of the Sun, the opening band for several dates on this tour, are an awesome bunch of guys. I had the pleasure of auditioning for their open guitarist position a few months ago, and I had a great time jamming with them. Check them out if you have a chance.

valleyofthesun.bandcamp.com

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

I don't know if there's anyone else here from Tucson, but High on Fire is playing a parking lot show here this Wednesday as part of some Adult Swim tour. It should be pretty cool.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I watched Such Hawks, Such Hounds today - really fun to watch if you're invested in the genre. It's not a life changing or particularly educational documentary, but it has a lot of good soundbites and performances from lots of the big acts on the scene.

Oh, and thanks guys for the recommendations for Kamni and Brotherhood of Sleep - nice to know there're still great artists keeping stoner/doom alive with refreshing ideas.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

I watched Such Hawks, Such Hounds today

I love that film, you should stick a recommendation in the OP.

This
(Wino being a cool dude.)
should totally be a link on the Wino picture.

Also this (Matt Pike on metal)
should link from the banner image.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Looks like Dark Castle has finished recording their new album, “Surrender To All Life Beyond Form”. It's coming out May 17.

preview track here, it sounds pretty swell:
http://www.profoundlorerecords.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1116&Itemid=2

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

Looks like Dark Castle has finished recording their new album, “Surrender To All Life Beyond Form”. It's coming out May 17.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1116&Itemid=2

OH man, I was having the worst day until this very moment. Thanks duder, Dark Castle is so tight.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
Just discovered Sgt. Sunshine tonight and I don't remember them ever being mentioned in this thread. Psychedelic/Stoner rock in the vein of Colour Haze, Sungrazer, etc. The first self titled album is unfortunately out of print, but it is drat good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybk70AcPtmM

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Valley of the Sun is wicked, thanks! Thanks to browsing aimlessly on bandcamp all day, I also came across these dudes: http://oldegrowth.bandcamp.com/album/olde-growth. Awesome. Also, this new Dark Castle is killer, holy poo poo, thank you!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I also came across these dudes: http://oldegrowth.bandcamp.com/album/olde-growth.
This is great.

CoffeeInjection
Feb 27, 2011

by angerbeet

Valley of the Sun is wicked, thanks!

Valley of the Sun is indeed pretty great. They have a page over at Kickstarter to get their upcoming album released on vinyl, along with some other cool stuff like recording a cover song of your choice, which I think is quite awesome.

Would really like to see them play along with Truckfighters, but I'm stuck here in northern Europe so meh.

Also, you might want to check out their previous band, Blacklight Barbarian.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Enjoying Blacklight Barbarian, thanks. Tried to pledge a bit to the kickstarter, but they don't take paypal and I'm vehemently opposed to credit cards.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

aliencowboy posted:

The guest appearances on this are ridiculous (in a good way). On a side note, is it just me or has Profound Lore been signing a lot of strong artists lately?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Friends Are Evil posted:

The guest appearances on this are ridiculous (in a good way). On a side note, is it just me or has Profound Lore been signing a lot of strong artists lately?

It seems that Blake Judd and Stevie Floyd are quite close... if they ever formed a band together, it would be the only band I ever listened to for the rest of time (this may or may not be an exaggeration).

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

UUhhhhhhhh Dark Castle's pretty awesome, what the gently caress.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

NuclearGuru posted:

I don't think they're releasing anything anymore, but I definitely saw Brainoil live last summer with Iron Lung, Samothrace and Dropdead. Killerest show of 2010.

The bassist from Brainoil is in a bunch of other projects, namely Laudanum, Lana Dagales and I Will Kill You Fucker. Check 'em all out.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
So anyone going to Kyuss tomorrow (Manchester)? I've been hearing good things about the tour so far.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I picked up High on Fire's DISC after hearing it the store. Give me more of this poo poo please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODikJAtgc8

midge fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
gently caress me, both Kamni and Brainoil loving rock! Thanks to those who posted.

Came here to sing the praises of Olde Growth but I see I have been beaten to the ye olde punch.