Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Since were posting early models from aeons ago I thought I'd bandwagon!

My second squad ever.

Couple of Incubi I'm working on, I'd like some C&C on the colour scheme. One on the left for some odd reason came out a bit more glossy and popped more, I think the difference is my pots versus a stores. Anyone want to poke holes in the scheme?

Gonna roll with ghost white helmets and blue > white blades. Writing on the blades will be another crack at NMM gold, gems purple and the wirings I'm not entirely sure of.

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate

Irate Tree posted:

Hey there all. First timer/poster to this forum and thought I'd throw my head into the basket...

This is my Farseer for my Eldar army. The general scheme is Orange and Turquoise. All the weapons I'm going to have as bone of varying shades. As for the bright Blue, that's only going on my Warlocks and Seers (it's meant to represent their power as psykers). Hope you enjoy!
I might post some more stuff later. Just testing the waters right now >_>

P.S. Ignore the time stamp. Didn't bother resetting the time on it when i swapped the batteries =P

looks lovely, some washes to add shade would really set it off, try baal red or sepia wash on the orange and asurmen blue on the turquoise, push it into the recesses and that dude will really pop

edit: I've done my eldar in a similar scheme but w/ enchanted blue instead of turquoise. these were basecoated fiery orange/echanted blue over white and, washed red (twice) and blue respectively and given a little edge highlighting, easy shading

Yog-Sothoth fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 3, 2011

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Holy overwrought model Bat-Ham!

http://www.youtube.com/user/asjarra#p/c/8EBDD9DF76604C9D/5/FQ6FZPAb4vQ

I know this has had a lot of work put into it, but it is just too over the top for my tastes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I really like this post your first models thing. This is what I would have said my best painted model was when I was, oh, 13/14 I guess. Found it all bashed up in a box with a load of other horrific Bret paint jobs.

And heres what I finished today.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My first model I ever painted was a plastic Battlemasters Beastman I painted with the old GW starter set with the little miniature paint pots and a single GW #0 brush.

I've still got it sitting around in storage back home.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Not the first model I ever painted (the first models I painted were some generic sci fi models when I was 7 or 8; I just painted them one color and left it at that) but I have a few Steel Legion I still haven't stripped here. Left is old, right is new:

The guys on the left are from when I was 16, on the right are from now.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cities of Death terrain is a pain in the rear end to build, but fun.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm slowly but steadily heading to painting my first model but still working on assembling my first infantry section of veterans.

glossing over the poo poo load of flash/mold lines I need to fix up, anyone got any suggestions on bits to add to make them pop out a bit more? I've been using greenstuff to make belts and webbing parts which helps.
Ed: fixed photo up so it can actually be seen.

Fake Edit: I'm also after some critique for a painted Chaplain of a buddy of mine so he can improve his painting form. I've only tried painting one model at a beginner painting competition in my local GW so I'm hardly the person to offer anything detailed. If anyone could add to that, that would also be great. :)

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 4, 2011

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fyrbrand posted:

Cities of Death terrain is a pain in the rear end to build

I was putting together a Shrine of the Aquila last night and I almost killed myself because of it. Finally decided to use that Insta-Set stuff PV used to sell and it's a godsend besides that it smells terrible.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ghetto wormhole posted:

Finally decided to use that Insta-Set stuff PV used to sell and it's a godsend besides that it smells terrible.

We used to call it "portapotty spray" in my group.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ghetto wormhole posted:

I was putting together a Shrine of the Aquila last night and I almost killed myself because of it. Finally decided to use that Insta-Set stuff PV used to sell and it's a godsend besides that it smells terrible.

I thought about doing that but I was worried I would have to reposition things a lot, since I suck at building. Turns out I did have to, heh. I wound up using plastic glue with a few spots of super glue to hold it until the plastic glue set.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, it wasn't complete pants after all? Awesome :D
Thanks for the feedback. I'll see about getting a wash or two and see how i go.

Welp, here's the second picture post of my life on the forum!

My Necron Lord with the Staff of Light and Resurrection Orb!
I got this guy on a moment of whimsy (and guilt, i mean, i step into the store often enough. >_>)
I actually tried washing inside the crevices of his spine and staff with green wash. I don't think it came up enough but at least it's not straight metal. The swirls on the Orb i stole from the GW website.
I did another Lord with the War Scythe years ago. I'll see about getting some pictures of him up here. ;)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Irate Tree posted:

Lord
I'm not sure how much I like the alternating colors of the grip on his staff, but overall that's a nice mini. The orb especially looks very good.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Molik Karn!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SRM posted:

We used to call it "portapotty spray" in my group.

I was using it in a dorm room so I decided pretty quickly to open the window and door. I think it all blew into the hallway, oops.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Spray it into the lid and use a brush to apply it broheim

Simpo
May 1, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Molik Karn!

oh wow. That really is an awesome colour scheme

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ghetto wormhole posted:

I was using it in a dorm room so I decided pretty quickly to open the window and door. I think it all blew into the hallway, oops.

I used spray seal in my old dorm stairwell. BTW moving out of dorms is awesome, since now I don't have to prime my minis behind the dumpsters or behind my FLGS.

Also, holy hell your Catachan technique is boss, Hell Diver. I'm following your little tutorial thingy pretty much to the letter and it's taking a long time, but I have the feeling these are gonna be some of the best minis I've ever painted.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Good evening gents. I got the urge to make my Space Wolves Lord, Engir Krakendoom. The photo doesn't do him much justice. I will have to post a better set of photos tomorrow, but I'm pretty proud to the conversion. Biker arm + grey knight terminator halberd = awesome. The only bit I'm unsure of is the helmet. Was thinking of doing the wolf head, but that might be too much wolf wolf.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
^^^^^^
What's wrong with your fingernails? :zombie:

Irate Tree posted:

Hey there all. First timer/poster to this forum and thought I'd throw my head into the basket...

Looks good. It might just be the photos blowing out the highlights/shading, but if not, I'd say add more depth to most everything. It's strange seeing these awesome gemstones on what appears to be a mostly "featureless" (not sure of the correct term) guy. Judging by everything else though, you certainly have the skill to do it.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
I just spent the afternoon converting 30 metal Kasrkin into Inquisitor warrior henchmen with boltguns.....my fingers are coated in glue, and I have a funeral pyre mound of chopped up and dismembered spare marine guns, but its finally done!. Will post some pics soonish. I really need to get my hands on another dark angles tac marine box so I can kitbash with my incoming Grey knights box. Can't wait to paint up some monkies to go with it all

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
:siren:Home Made Terrain Time!:siren:

So earlier I was inspired by the idea of just using aluminum foil and plaster to make rocks to expand upon the styrofoam buildings I already made.

I used spackle to cover the buildings to give them a stuco look. Then started to used elmer's glue mixed with a little paint to coat everything in case the spray paint I use to prime it will melt any exposed foam.

*more to come later as I work on these*

After making a few rocks using the foil method I wanted to make a forest. So I made a big flat rock as the floor and made two trees. I used twisty-ties to make the smaller branches.

Then to make them look more organic I painted on small layers of spackle.

The trees can be removed like the GW forest.

Should look better as they get painted. More to come unless I keep having problems with this drat Halo. You survive a fatal injury all well an' good but they don't prepare you for the inconvenience it will be :colbert:...

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Sole.Sushi posted:

^^^^^^
What's wrong with your fingernails? :zombie:

Primer. poo poo does not come off.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SRM posted:

I used spray seal in my old dorm stairwell. BTW moving out of dorms is awesome, since now I don't have to prime my minis behind the dumpsters or behind my FLGS.

Also, holy hell your Catachan technique is boss, Hell Diver. I'm following your little tutorial thingy pretty much to the letter and it's taking a long time, but I have the feeling these are gonna be some of the best minis I've ever painted.

Doing the skin or the camo? The thing to remember is that it will take a while at first, but as you get more and more comfortable you're able to speed up more and more. Practice making perfect and all that jazz.

Also, that paint job seriously owns PV, but that model looks like pure dog poo poo to me. Privateer and I just don't get along.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Molik Karn!

Now I know exactly what other posters mean when they look at threads like this and just get discouraged.

Looking forward to the day I finish my nids so I can paint some awesome figs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If this has been posted before I apologize, but I found a really impressive post on tank weathering.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6639

I'm definitely going to try that hair spray technique.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hell Diver posted:

Doing the skin or the camo? The thing to remember is that it will take a while at first, but as you get more and more comfortable you're able to speed up more and more. Practice making perfect and all that jazz.

Both! The camo is taking longer since I've never actually highlighted camo stripes before, and the flesh is a lot more complex than my old recipe, which was basically two layers of Dwarf Flesh, then a wash of Ogryn Flesh. If it was somebody important they'd get another layer of Dwarf Flesh over that.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
On the topic of Catachan: Have another Ogryn, folks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Loving the CADPAT hat in the background. (Sorry, I don't know the name of your inferior US digital camo.)

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Your base rims are a little streaky.

:goonsay:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That is the shadowrun-est miniature I think I've ever seen.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I realize we never get a chance to poke at hell diver, but have a joke:

If anyone is looking at the base on that model they are doing it wrong.

Normally I think of orgyn as simple and uncomfortable giants. That guy look like he has more facebook friends than I do :(

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

pw pw pw posted:

That is the shadowrun-est miniature I think I've ever seen.

That's exactly what I was just going to say. It looks like an illustration directly from the rulebook.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hell Diver posted:

On the topic of Catachan: Have another Ogryn, folks.

Im stealing the way you do your camo fyi.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^^^^^ :thumbsup: I still need to find a good way to photograph it. Maybe I'll whip up another photoshop tutorial to help people out.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Loving the CADPAT hat in the background. (Sorry, I don't know the name of your inferior US digital camo.)

ACU (Army Combat Uniform). :eng101: It's mostly to keep my cellphone camera in line since it freaks out against pure white or pure black backgrounds.

A lot of the old Ogryn sculpts are pretty drat Shadowrun looking. They have a certain charm to the next edition patchwork ogre looks.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The US Army will be switching over to Multi-Camo soon, and I have to say I'm intrigued as to how it works, and if I can replicate it through painting techniques.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Hell Diver posted:

ACU (Army Combat Uniform). :eng101: It's mostly to keep my cellphone camera in line since it freaks out against pure white or pure black backgrounds.

Not to side track, but are you telling me that a robot eye has an easier time focusing on digital camo than normal backgrounds?

...loving robots. They're already starting their evil plot.

HD, strip naked and remove all the batteries from everything you can find. They can't survive without power.

(note: if you get sent home early for this behavior that's just a bonus)

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^^^^^ Less the focus than the Iris opening or closing too much.

Sole.Sushi posted:

The US Army will be switching over to Multi-Camo soon, and I have to say I'm intrigued as to how it works, and if I can replicate it through painting techniques.

Well, brigade combat teams deploying to Afghanistan are getting it issued before they deploy now, but our Commander (for my little detachment) refused the (mid-tour) MultiCam (OCP is what we call it) because we'd basically get issued twice as much equipment with no way to turn the old ACU stuff in. We're far from the only unit doing that, too. Basically every brigade that's deployed since Octoberish last year has gotten the Multicam, but smaller units still aren't necessarily getting it.

That said, they're in the process of deciding on a new Army-wide pattern and OCP's included in that, so within probably 2 years we're all going to be wearing new uniforms anyway.

Multicam is easier to paint than ACU/UCP pattern, since it's just color blotches, really the trick would be translating the stripes and blob make-up of it. I'd like to see IG done up with the desert tan boots and whole look, though.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 4, 2011

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
I wanna start building a librarian from the PAGK box, and I know GW has pretty much established that librarians are blue, but what's a good alternative color for them, keeping in mind my scheme is:

rank and file troops, vehicles - khaki
pilots, drivers - green
officers - black
terminators - grey
weapons - metallic blue

I'm currently leaning towards blue or red, but my whole army is kinda muted, so it's more a question of whether to paint the librarian's armor something bright to stand out, or something dull that fits in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hell Diver, am I doing this right?

• Locked thread