Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Everyone wants them to catch the rear end in a top hat that shot Mitch.

And everyone figured out that it was an April Fools joke about the time one of the reviews was in hieroglyphics and there was an article about Mikey Erg being in it for the money, Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Anyone going to the Punk Rock Picnic?
http://www.punkrockpicnic.com/Bands.html

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I want to so badly, but I can't make it over the mountains to sac, much less down to Irvine. Hopefully summer will be different, because drat, what a line-up.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Quantumfate posted:

I want to so badly, but I can't make it over the mountains to sac, much less down to Irvine. Hopefully summer will be different, because drat, what a line-up.

I know right?! Next weekend is going to be loving madness, I'm going to see the Cro-Mags with a bunch of 50 year old punks :3:, then Punk Rock Bowling, and then The Dwarves :3: APRIL loving OWNS YES??

6 shows in 4 weeks i love my loving life.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
Xibalba's music video rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSQnJkvLeAk

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo yes it does

Gravity bongs and Mickey's, two of my favorite things. This song kinda blows tho

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 4, 2011

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
Maybe someone in this thread will be into my band

http://oblivion.bandcamp.com/

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

I have to be honest, the instrumentals are decent, but the vocals could use some improvement. and the overall beat sounds a little too much on the metal side of things. Otherwise it's not that bad. Of the two friend was my favourite. I say work ont he vocals because the singer seems to be singing a little forced for a lotof it, until like, 1:30-1:40 of friends. That's the level of growl you wanna go for, get that sort of crusty rasp instead of a dark metal growl. Even Doom, who your singer most reminds me of, has a stronger rasp. On the whole it was alright, mostly because it's too metal for my taste. Crust it up some, work on the rasp, and I would probably put it on my ipod.

EDIT: Shifting gears some, you folk punk fans and pop punk fans should check this out: http://diyhalifax.blogspot.com/2011/03/mistake-makers-my-friends-could-beat-up.html

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 4, 2011

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Mazel Tov posted:

Maybe someone in this thread will be into my band

http://oblivion.bandcamp.com/

I was into the previous incarnation of Oblivion. Not so much this one.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all
New Lows has got my ear lately.....it's such a grimy rough sound. I'm a sucker for downtuned guitars I guess.

The new Gateway District seems freaking great as well, they have a feed up and it initially sounded much better than their first record which I couldn't get into for whatever reason. Nice Midwestern sound. I hope they come by CT.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

punxnbutter posted:

New Lows has got my ear lately.....it's such a grimy rough sound. I'm a sucker for downtuned guitars I guess.

The new Gateway District seems freaking great as well, they have a feed up and it initially sounded much better than their first record which I couldn't get into for whatever reason. Nice Midwestern sound. I hope they come by CT.

Have you checked out Dead In The Dirt at all?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
How are Against Me! currently? They're coming near me with Lemuria and Screaming Females supporting them (which is why I'm going). I haven't listened to anything by them beyond Reinventing Axl Rose, and I know they've changed a lot, but can they put on a good show?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey look, it's a stream of the title track of the new TBR 7"

Pabst Blue Trippin
Oct 11, 2010

Triangulum posted:

I know right?! Next weekend is going to be loving madness, I'm going to see the Cro-Mags with a bunch of 50 year old punks :3:, then Punk Rock Bowling, and then The Dwarves :3: APRIL loving OWNS YES??

6 shows in 4 weeks i love my loving life.

I seriously cant wait for Punk Rock Bowling, are you going with a group?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

LtTennisBall posted:

How are Against Me! currently? They're coming near me with Lemuria and Screaming Females supporting them (which is why I'm going). I haven't listened to anything by them beyond Reinventing Axl Rose, and I know they've changed a lot, but can they put on a good show?

They're terrible now. Leave before they play. It doesn't sound anything like that EP and even if it did, I'd still leave.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Against Me! should stop off in lancaster country and pick up another amish member, then they'll be good again. Hell He'd be a hit with the sXe kids. :ironicat:

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Am I the only one who doesn't really get Thursday? I've been trying to get into them, especially after reading some raving reviews of their newest record, but I'm listening to this stream of it and it seriously doesn't do anything for me. I think it's Geoff Rickley's voice - I dig the instrumentation, but the vocals just seem to lack passion and energy.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Eh I'm not into their new album really. Full collapse is spectacular though. The new one seems to lack any sort of conviction and energy. It's weird.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Eight Is Legend posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really get Thursday? I've been trying to get into them, especially after reading some raving reviews of their newest record, but I'm listening to this stream of it and it seriously doesn't do anything for me. I think it's Geoff Rickley's voice - I dig the instrumentation, but the vocals just seem to lack passion and energy.

The only thing I've ever really enjoyed from them was the split with Envy so check that out I guess?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Against Me! is terrible now, I wouldn't bother.

Pabst Blue Trippin posted:

I seriously cant wait for Punk Rock Bowling, are you going with a group?

gently caress I meant The Punk Rock Picnic. I keep switching them up >.>

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

LtTennisBall posted:

I think this pretty much sums it up:

Tom Gabel posted:

We recorded a cover of the One Tree Hill Theme song a couple weeks ago. If you want to hear it tune into the CW on Tuesday, May 3rd!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eight Is Legend posted:

A5H posted:

Eh I'm not into their new album really. Full collapse is spectacular though. The new one seems to lack any sort of conviction and energy. It's weird.

Pantalones! posted:

The only thing I've ever really enjoyed from them was the split with Envy so check that out I guess?

First off, thanks for the link to the new album stream.

Also yeah, I Waiting is good, although mixed terribly. Full Collapse is pretty easily their best work, with War All The Time coming in second along with the Envy split. Common Existence/A City By The Light Divided each have some really good tracks, but overall are pretty boring.

I also like Thursday just because Geoff has (in my opinion) a very good attitude towards the "scene" and his place in it.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Full Collapse and Envy split, you say? I'll check it out. Also, I'm gonna have to repost this from the scenecore thread just because this record is that amazing:

gently caress, have you guys listened to letlive? Their album "Fake History" is one of the best post-hardcore records I have heard in a very long time - it's like a mix of Glassjaw, Refused and At the Drive-In:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRQEz7J82ZA

It's currently streaming over at Rocksound.tv including a track-by-track explanation - check out the songs Renegade '86, Muther and We The Pros of Cons, but hell, the whole album rules: http://www.rocksound.tv/features/article/exclusive-letlive-fake-history-album-stream-and-track-by-track

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

LtTennisBall posted:

ignoring :punk ethics: against me rips live. if the headline, they will play mostly songs from rar anyway.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Have Nots CD Release Weekend in Boston!!

Sat May 7 @ The Middle East Upstairs - 18+
w/ Razors in the Night, Side Effects and Lenny Lashley's Gang of One

Sun May 8 @ The Middle East Upstairs - ALL AGES MATINEE
w/ Brunt of It, Burning Streets and special guest TBA

So at both shows.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

iron chic posted:

ignoring :punk ethics: against me rips live. if the headline, they will play mostly songs from rar anyway.

I'll probably stay. I'm going with a few friends, one of whom was a big Against Me! fan (prior to "sell outz", etc) so I guess the metric will really be him. I'm only in it for Lemuria and Screamales anyway.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

gently caress, have you guys listened to letlive? Their album "Fake History" is one of the best post-hardcore records I have heard in a very long time - it's like a mix of Glassjaw, Refused and At the Drive-In:

It sounds like none of those things! It honestly seems just hella generic to me :shobon:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Man I don't get the love for Lemuria at all.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

LCQC posted:

It sounds like none of those things! It honestly seems just hella generic to me :shobon:

Seriously? You don't hear at least some Glassjaw?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I listened to the new Thursday album and yeah, it's a letdown. There is no urgency in the vocals at all, and Thursday's take on the whole "Post-rock is Screamo's retirement home" thing is bland and boring.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Seriously? You don't hear at least some Glassjaw?

Vocally, maybe. It's really more of trying to straight up sound like Daryl than anything else though. The little jibberish freakout in "Muther" right before the female vocals is pretty much a straight rip from "Lovebites and Razorlines." You also set the bar impossibly high with your RIYLs there.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 6, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Triangulum posted:

I really have only listened to their most recent album (which is apparently darker than their previous stuff, I don't know). I really like most pop punk, anything I can kind of just sit and sing along with is good for me. I'm going to the show more or less for the Screaming Females though. And I get to see Laura Stevenson and the Cans the month before, so my "see my two favorite Don Giovanni bands" thing is complete!

e: and I can definitely see not liking Lemuria. The sound isn't for everyone and they get hyped a lot.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 6, 2011

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

LtTennisBall posted:

I really have only listened to their most recent album (which is apparently darker than their previous stuff, I don't know). I really like most pop punk, anything I can kind of just sit and sing along with is good for me. I'm going to the show more or less for the Screaming Females though. And I get to see Laura Stevenson and the Cans the month before, so my "see my two favorite Don Giovanni bands" thing is complete!

e: and I can definitely see not liking Lemuria. The sound isn't for everyone and they get hyped a lot.

I really haven't listened to them in years but I find the singer pretty annoying and they were terrible live when I saw them at the Asian Man Records festival. You're spot on regarding the overhype too. I expected a lot more.

Now I have the urge to listen to Squirtgun for some reason.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Triangulum posted:

Get Better is an excellent album :colbert: I haven't really checked out much else from them but drat I love that record.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
While we're discussing lady fronted pop punk, any opinions on this new-ish NJ band Dead Ringer?

http://deadringer.bandcamp.com

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Ugh I hate the singer holy poo poo.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Triangulum posted:

Ugh I hate the singer holy poo poo.

I actually love her voice. If there's anything that really bothers me about Lemuria it's the guys voice, for whatever reason. But yeah that's a love it or hate it voice for sure.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

hedgecore posted:

While we're discussing lady fronted pop punk, any opinions on this new-ish NJ band Dead Ringer?

http://deadringer.bandcamp.com

I really like this. It's weird, a few years ago I really didn't like any music with a female vocalist. Now I tend to purposely seek it out.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I love bands with female singers I just hate the overly cutest bunny rabbit like style of singing aauuuuuugh

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
There is no place for bunnies in punk rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

I listened to the new Thursday album and yeah, it's a letdown. There is no urgency in the vocals at all, and Thursday's take on the whole "Post-rock is Screamo's retirement home" thing is bland and boring.

Vocally, maybe. It's really more of trying to straight up sound like Daryl than anything else though. The little jibberish freakout in "Muther" right before the female vocals is pretty much a straight rip from "Lovebites and Razorlines." You also set the bar impossibly high with your RIYLs there.

Haha, you fuckin' nailed it with that post-rock comment.