Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Don't have a clue how this happened. The white stuff draining from my clutch is oil/water mix.

I never rode in the rain last year, so it must have just been condensation from all the short trips to work. Pretty crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
that'll teach you to put mayonnaise in your crankcase

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
robo, did you happen to be riding the bike when the wheel broke in half like that?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Armacham posted:

that'll teach you to put mayonnaise in your crankcase

Then what the hell is he supposed to put on his fries? :colbert:

lazychris2000
Apr 2, 2010

I graduated college with a 2.0 GPA so go figure I can't fucking read

Wiglaf posted:

robo, did you happen to be riding the bike when the wheel broke in half like that?

More importantly, if you were, what do you do when that happens? Can you recover from that with enough time to stop or is it just brace for impact?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ola posted:

:nms: that poo poo! :gonk:
:psyboom:

McDeth posted:

Did those cylinder rocks come standard?
nah, aftermarket. but the PO threw them in for free with the purchase of New Old Stock tuner air.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Blocko posted:

Raceish? Aren't the Hawk Blue considered "Track Only" pads? you think that'd be warning enough.

[edit]
There is a warning on TireRack that says:

Nothing about ruining your wheels if the dust touches water, but again the "Track Use Only" and Special Note should be enough of a warning for you.
Probably, but racing in the rain is just a part of racing unless you're racing NASCAR. Considering that at least three of my racer friends on Facebook have learned this lesson the hard way, it's not so obvious and I don't feel so bad about it.

In the latest news, nothing I've been able to get my hands on that's paint safe even dents this crap. I resorted to a time of scrubbing with a brillo pad and brake cleaner, but even that eventually got the best of me. I tried a small test spot of heavy duty EZ-Off, which is the recommended way to clean this crap off, and letting this stuff sit for five minutes removes it with no scrubbing. It must be caustic as poo poo, and if I get any more of it on my hands, we're going to have another horrible mechanical failure involving human beings. I rinsed it off quite a bit, then rubbed a small spot that wasn't coming off easily. Rinsed right afterward. Three days later, I can still feel the rough spot on my finger.

Jesus. gently caress.

The goal now is to fabricate a barrier, and use the EZ-Off very carefully to remove this stuff from the wheel. There is no way this plan can go wrong, so I will update you on the progress.

In other news, I ended up with a free set of Pagid Yellows (also race pads, but none of the issues of the Hawk Blues), so that sort of makes up for the Hawk Blues I'll never use again.

einTier fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 4, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Aluminum is a room temperature catalyst for sodium hydroxide found in EZ-off. It breaks down the molecule and releases hydrogen into the atmosphere, so do it outside, I guess. Sodium hydroxide is what Tyler Durden was burning the poo poo out of people with in Fight Club. It's basic as gently caress with a pH of 13, so maybe neutralize it with ammonia, then wash with soap? I don't know about that, but battery acid is easily neutralized with baking soda. Soap just spreads it around.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Skyssx posted:

Aluminum is a room temperature catalyst for sodium hydroxide found in EZ-off. It breaks down the molecule and releases hydrogen into the atmosphere, so do it outside, I guess. Sodium hydroxide is what Tyler Durden was burning the poo poo out of people with in Fight Club. It's basic as gently caress with a pH of 13, so maybe neutralize it with ammonia, then wash with soap? I don't know about that, but battery acid is easily neutralized with baking soda. Soap just spreads it around.

You need an acid to neutralize a base, vinegar works decently well, just add it slowly.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

RoboCriminal posted:

Can someone more knowledgeable explain this to me?

Also bonus (unposted I think) content:

Valve dropped out of the head and into the cylinder. Probably the result of an improperly installed/failed valve retainer.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Skyssx posted:

Sodium Hydroxide is an awesome cleaning agent. Awesome that it cleans up Hawk Blues! Beware that it also likes to clean skin... off skin. We used to play with the "pure" stuff in chem lab in college; I found it cleaned a lot of things better than any other acid or base on the shelf, and got rather cavalier about it until I discovered it also had a nasty habit of degrading/destroying a lot of what it cleaned. If you get some on your skin, it's not like comic books where it burns like lava, but make sure you rinse it off right away. And yeah, it may feel funny for a bit but if you clean it off right away, you shouldn't have any pain. Wear goggles, too, good ones- you REALLY don't want that poo poo to get in your eyes.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 4, 2011

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Undiluted industrial ez-off is good at cleaning the worst oil stains off of concrete :eng101:

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

einTier posted:

Jesus. gently caress.

The goal now is to fabricate a barrier, and use the EZ-Off very carefully to remove this stuff from the wheel. There is no way this plan can go wrong, so I will update you on the progress.

In other news, I ended up with a free set of Pagid Yellows (also race pads, but none of the issues of the Hawk Blues), so that sort of makes up for the Hawk Blues I'll never use again.

If you're looknig for a barrier for your hands, at Princess Auto in Canada, which is our version of harbour freight, you can get some pretty heavy duty gloves. I can't find the one in particular I'm thinknig of which is a big 1/8" thick rubber horse jerk off glove but they do have a bunch of chemical resistant ones chemical resistant ones.

Something like this:

http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/air/sandblasting/sandblasting-accessories/5050085-sandblasting-gloves

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
When handling caustic poo poo you'd probably want to use something more like this: http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/miscellaneous-surplus/miscellaneous-surplus/8301681-neoprene/latex-chemical-resistant-gloves

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, the ad notes that they are alkali and acid resistant. I don't know if they would be resistant enough though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

RoboCriminal posted:

This is what happens when you let Salvador Dali design your engine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Paul Boz_ posted:

Undiluted industrial ez-off is good at cleaning the worst oil stains off of concrete :eng101:

Is this true or does it just dissolve the concrete?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Paul Boz_ posted:

Welp, I'm off to buy ten gallons of that poo poo.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

scapulataf posted:

Yeah, the ad notes that they are alkali and acid resistant. I don't know if they would be resistant enough though.

I would guess they'd hold up better than the sandblasting gloves. Usually gloves rated as "chemical resistant" are safe to use with anything you can buy over the counter. I wouldn't be surprised if the sandblasting gloves would start to break down immediately upon contact with a strong acid/base.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Geoj posted:

I would guess they'd hold up better than the sandblasting gloves. Usually gloves rated as "chemical resistant" are safe to use with anything you can buy over the counter. I wouldn't be surprised if the sandblasting gloves would start to break down immediately upon contact with a strong acid/base.

No it was the sandblasting gloves I posted that were chemical and alkali resistant.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

einTier posted:

Pagid Yellows (also race pads, but none of the issues of the Hawk Blues), so that sort of makes up for the Hawk Blues I'll never use again.

I've used their RS-14 Black pads on the RS 4, and its wheels are fine. I think the Pagids will be safe. Carbotech's XP-10 and Enduro compounds also have easily removable dust.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Is this true or does it just dissolve the concrete?

At least the stain is gone! :pseudo:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ephphatha posted:

At least the stain is gone! :pseudo:

What about the hole in my driveway?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EightBit posted:

What about the hole in my driveway?

Fill it with more cement, duh.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Paul Boz_ posted:

About nine months ago my brother was helping me bleed my clutch and he mashed the pedal hard, shooting me in the face with hot brake fluid. I scrambled to get out from under the car but slipped in wet leaves and face planted on concrete. I tried to brace my fall and tore all of the ligaments and tendons that provide lateral support for my left thumb. I was between jobs with no insurance so I put it off. To repair it the doctor drilled a hole in the rear thumb bone then routed a tendon from my wrist through it. Lastly he drilled a pin through it and set it in a hard cast to immobilize it until next Friday. Sorry for no details yesterday, my pain is at a persistent 5-6/10 even with hydrocodone.
I sat here for a little bit, trying to figure out what previous post had mentioned an unfortunate situation that had prompted you to parody one.

That's pretty spectacular.

not to continue a derail, this is car related

quote:

The ziconium coating on the fuel rods is used to prevent corrosion. When heated sufficiently, it's failure mode is to start to oxidize, and will pull the oxygen straight out of water. That releases hydrogen. As the core temp goes up, it can even reach temperatures that will disassociate oxygen and hydrogen, without the zirconium sucking up the oxygen. (this was actually a proposed method for generating hydrogen...)
H2O --> H2 + O2 = rocket fuel. They made sure to drill it into our heads for fire training, and show us videos over and over of other departments loving it up or getting surprised with magnesium fires (usually industrial installations, though concerns about magnesium some in engine blocks and tire rims was also mentioned). I'm curious how much actual magnesium is exposed and is it actually enough to be dangerous, in the event of a cracked rim? I've no doubt a cracked block could be a problem (remember, a lot of these fires are part of a car hitting an object hard).

edit: Other potentially very dangerous but innocuous item in a car fire? Shocks. In bumpers or suspension, when exposed to fire for any real time, can whip that metal rod out the end faster than you'd think.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 5, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Paul Boz_ posted:

I think you mean cleaning the worst concrete off of concrete.

I would attempt to get most of the oil up with purple power and a broom then hit it with some muriatic acid. That usually does the trick without creating craters.

RoboCriminal
Sep 21, 2007
Sup

Wiglaf posted:

Not my bike, found the pic in a folder while I was looking for something else and figured it belonged here.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Paul Boz_ posted:

Brake fluid is better, and brake fluid is soluble in water.

edit: I didn't realize you meant this as a prank to wreck driveways :(

My suggestion still stands.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Do you mean brake cleaner or brake fluid?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Fluid actually.. the hydraulic stuff that goes in your master cylinder. It is an old mechanics trick for cleaning anything off of a work bay floor.

You pour it down, and as long as your shop broom has natural bristles (it will melt the other kind) you broom it around a bit, then it is water soluble so you just hose it off. Probably not very environmentally friendly, but for a person with a singe irritating spot in their driveway or garage floor it can work wonders.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Brake fluid is also a great weed killer.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Skyssx posted:

Brake fluid is also a great bee killer.

This too. My boss can hit them from the hip when we are working way out in the auction yard with the abandoned vehicles.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Skyssx posted:

Brake fluid is also a great liver killer.

don't do this if you or any of your neighbors have pets.

you'll find 2 dead squirrels and a dead cat in your yard the next day. :ninja:

edit: actually I was thinking about ethylene glycol...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 6, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

don't do this if you or any of your neighbors have pets.

you'll find 2 dead squirrels and a dead cat in your yard the next day. :ninja:

I must be doing it wrong then.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Skyssx posted:

I must be doing it wrong then.

just add some antifreeze. that'll fix 'em

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Horrible biological failure:

An uncovered vertical exhaust pipe? How could that be a good idea?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Is that an acorn?! :psyduck:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No, it's a Hercules :downsrim:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

c355n4 posted:

Is that an acorn?! :psyduck:

Yes, but thankfully the mud daubers partially filled the exhaust pipe with mud so no more acorns would fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Is it just me or do your valves have writing on them?