Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010

Wastebasket posted:

This looks awesome, I wish it were on Netflix. This guy is a total badass to do all that building by himself.

I saw that with my grandparents a year or two ago, and let me tell you, that man is something else. He just consistently amazes you with his resourcefulness throughout the documentary. At one point he builds a locking mechanism on his cabin door OUT OF WOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0M9wnBP-I&feature=related

The War that Made America. This is the first part of a really really great PBS documentary on the French and Indian War. One of my favorite subjects, one that isn't talked about a lot, and is handled extremely well. The narrator is Graham Greene, famous Native American actor (Northern Exposure, Dances with Wolves). A cool little thing they do is instead of cutting to professorial talking heads, they cut to "mockumentary" style talking heads with the historical figures being reenacted in the documentary. Really good stuff, really enjoyable for those interested in the history of North America.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Echoing Grand Prix - The Killer Years. Wow. I watch F1 and I can't imagine it being like that today. The final scene was heartbreaking and profound beyond words.

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

http://documentaryheaven.com/friends-of-god/
Friends of God
HBO documentary that goes into the Evangelical Christian world.
Ted Haggard is seen talking about the awesome sex life of evangelical Christians with their wives (citing that "all surveys prove..."); he forgot to mention the shemale crackwhore he was loving on the side.
Also, you get to see some neat pictures of Dinosaurs with yokes, since they co-existed with humans.
It's sad to see that most of these people are actually well-meaning (except for assholes like Haggard) but are completely brainwashed (some, obviously, are just retards, who justify teaching the Bible, as opposed to Evolution, because "it's easier to explain it to kids").
To see them teach the motto "God Said it, I believe it, That settles it" to little kids is truly disturbing; they're basically telling these kids to be absolute idiots (who'll probably grow up to watch Fox News)

I've seen clips from this movie (the evolution related parts in particular- "Behemoth was a Dinosaur" absolutely SLAYS me), but the very end where Jerry Falwell's gay former ghostwriter is crying in the church breaks my heart to pieces.

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010
I don't think this one was posted yet, but if it has, then I apologize.

Married to the Eiffel Tower is about Objectum Sexuals- people who are sexually attracted to objects, and in this documentary, primarily to buildings. According to the documentary there are about 40 known Objectum Sexuals, and all of them are women. This documentary is, frankly, somewhat bizarre, and almost comedic for a while until you get to know the people behind the classification and sort of get to know them as people and not as weird ladies who like objects.

Link: http://documentaryheaven.com/married-to-the-eiffel-tower/

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Forgot to say this when I first mentioned it, but I promise that Dark Days isn't as depressing as it sounds. It has some interesting characters, many light moments, and a happy ending. Err, if you can get past the rats and garbage and crack. Also, watched that there conjoined twins business. Amazing.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I just want to say that Earthlings is the worst poo poo I've ever watched in my life and I don't care to revisit anything like that again. Animal cruelty is a horrible aspect of life that morally I should be interested in and championing to make a difference, but I just want to forget I ever discovered the graphic reality of it.

Call me subhuman, but I'm shelving that poo poo in the back of my mind and never giving a second thought.

I think the only thing worse that I could possibly watch if someone could have documented slavery or genocide with actual graphic video and compiled it into a film for me to watch. Luckily video access to those horrors are less possible to obtain.

loving hell I'm going to take a shower and I'm sticking to food and political documentaries.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Okay, here's a food documentary for you: I Like Killing Flies. It's on Netflix instant, and is about the maniac who pretty much singlehandedly ran Shopsin's, a lower Manhattan diner that was notorious for the many, many esoteric rules one had to follow to eat there and not get kicked out. Kenny Shopsin is allegedly not one of the inspirations for Seinfeld's Soup Nazi, but he might as well be. Featuring a lot of foulmouthed but trenchant philosophizing from Mr. Shopsin, a 300-item menu that looks like schizophrenic art brut (all items somehow made to order), some surprisingly poignant stuff pertaining to the Shopsin family as a whole, and the most disgusting restaurant kitchen imaginable. Great stuff.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

spite house posted:

Okay, here's a food documentary for you: I Like Killing Flies.

Goddamn this one has some legs!

"Post-modern pancakes: basically, you make some pancakes, and then you chop them up and then you throw them in pancake batter again and..."

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Just a heads up for people who get BBC2.

Tonight at 9

Louis Theroux: America's Most Hated Family in Crises

'Is it possible you've become even more weird?' - Louis Theroux revisits the Phelps family at the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas armed with more of his trademark deadpan interrogation techniques.
Since 2006, when he first spoke to the group who holler hate-filled messages at soldiers' funerals, they have had many defectors, but those remaining have hardened their stance. They believe President Obama is the anti-Christ and that Louis is one of the most evil men in history. His discomfort is palpable, yet if Louis' efforts convince more extremists to leave the cult, returning will have been worth it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

robotsinmyhead posted:

Goddamn this one has some legs!

"Post-modern pancakes: basically, you make some pancakes, and then you chop them up and then you throw them in pancake batter again and..."

Yeah Kenny Shopsin is awesome. His book is fantastic too--it's part biography and part cookbook. Try the chicken tortilla soup, it's my favorite!

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Traffic Reporter posted:

I love this doc. I caught it once in the middle of the night on PBS and it did everything but cure my insomnia. The amount of reclusive badass contained in this one man is staggering. Not only did he build his cabin himself, but he only brought the metal parts of tools to lighten his load. Have you ever made an axe-handle and then used that axe to build your home? No, because we're all a bunch of goddamned nerds compared to this man.

I've watched all his documentaries now, and... drat.

I have a new hero.

That guy is awesome to an awesome degree.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Human Resources
Release Date: 11-30-2010
Link: http://metanoia-films.org/hr_watchonline.php
Runtime: 2 hours
Official description: "explores the rise of mechanistic philosphy and the exploitation of human beings under modern hierarhical systems. Topics covered include behaviorism, scientific management, work-place democracy, schooling, frustration-aggression hypothesis and human experimentation."

Similar to the film I posted a few pages back, this documentary discusses the use and misuse of the American worker since the industrial revolution. It includes interviews with Noam Chomsky and people who have Noam Chomsky books in the background. That should give you a pretty good idea where it's coming from.

The term "Human Resources" is taken to it's logical extreme, showing that often people are used in the cruelest of ways. I found that the documentary seemed to be going off topic once in a while, but really, I just needed to reorient myself to how they were using the term "Human Resources." Overall, I'd say this was entertaining, but not exactly super exciting. Didn't tell me much I didn't already know, but serves as a good reminder about what our government has done in recent history via programs like MKULTRA.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm watching Battle for Marjah at the moment and I'm having a hard time. It's pretty graphic but apart from that it shows Marines treating their 'fellow' Afghan soldiers like poo poo. They are made to take point and enter all buildings first when they aren't being yelled at.

On the plus side is great cinematography and it's refreshing to see footage you don't usually see in most war documentaries.

Has anyone else seen it? What are your thoughts?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Waco: Rules of Engagement

Watched this documentary last night, and it's really very good. Not much at all in terms of narration, most of the footage is from congressional hearings following the event, it gives some good background to the branch davidians and Koresh himself, along with footage taken by people inside the compound.

Compelling.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7862840158598189292#docid=-6765137779810391299

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh

elwood posted:

Just a heads up for people who get BBC2.

Tonight at 9

Louis Theroux: America's Most Hated Family in Crises

'Is it possible you've become even more weird?' - Louis Theroux revisits the Phelps family at the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas armed with more of his trademark deadpan interrogation techniques.
Since 2006, when he first spoke to the group who holler hate-filled messages at soldiers' funerals, they have had many defectors, but those remaining have hardened their stance. They believe President Obama is the anti-Christ and that Louis is one of the most evil men in history. His discomfort is palpable, yet if Louis' efforts convince more extremists to leave the cult, returning will have been worth it.

Excellent documentary. For those who don't have iPlayer, the doc is already up on youtube:

Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family in Crisis.

The dance numbers are so cringingly embarrassing.

Edit:

I was just watching it again and spotted this gem at one of the anti-phelps demonstrations...

I think he speaks for many.

LawrenceOfHerLabia fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 4, 2011

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh
On a separate, but related note, I'm watching another documentary by the BBC about religious oddballs.

Leaving Amish Paradise is follow-up documentary about a family of Amish who get shunned by their neighbours because the father of the family wishes to spout the gospel at random folk on the street.

Edit: Just finished watching it. It's genuinely depressing watching people who have been so brainwashed :(

LawrenceOfHerLabia fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 4, 2011

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LawrenceOfHerLabia posted:

Excellent documentary. For those who don't have iPlayer, the doc is already up on youtube:

Edit:

I was just watching it again and spotted this gem at one of the anti-phelps demonstrations...

I think he speaks for many.

Oh hell yes. I'd totally do most of those phelps daughters

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

bronin posted:

Oh hell yes. I'd totally do most of those phelps daughters

How best to fight homophobes and racists?

I know, misogyny!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

shotgunbadger posted:

I know, misogyny!

Logic, common sense, feelings of basic human dignity, and appeals to emotion have all seemed to fail, so...

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

JFairfax posted:

Waco: Rules of Engagement

Watched this documentary last night, and it's really very good. Not much at all in terms of narration, most of the footage is from congressional hearings following the event, it gives some good background to the branch davidians and Koresh himself, along with footage taken by people inside the compound.

Compelling.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7862840158598189292#docid=-6765137779810391299

This is a really frustrating but well done documentary.

I've always wanted to know more about Waco since it was a little before my time, and this helped tremendously.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

On a separate, but related note, I'm watching another documentary by the BBC about religious oddballs.

Leaving Amish Paradise is follow-up documentary about a family of Amish who get shunned by their neighbours because the father of the family wishes to spout the gospel at random folk on the street.

Edit: Just finished watching it. It's genuinely depressing watching people who have been so brainwashed :(

This documentary is incredibly sad. The scene where his friend walks up to him at the evangelical church and just stands there is cringe-worthy. I understand the psychology behind it but it's still distressing to watch a family bounce from cult to cult.

The church that were trying to convert the Amish made me feel quite bad. These people are stuck between two very different ways of life and the lack of foresight and self actualization that the Amish foster really shows in the decisions being made.

The way they seem so hopeful about the future at the start is amazingly well done. It seemed to indicate that everything had opened up for them now that they had left only for it to turn out to be the same beast under a different name.

Before both of those documentaries I often thought that it would be really rather peaceful and calming living in an Amish community. These two documentaries really opened my eyes on that score. Highly recommended.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Everybody should watch Senna (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424432/), a documentary about the F1 driver, Ayrton Senna. I've seen very few more moving films. Unfortunately, at the moment, you'd have to import the DVD from Japan (and fetch subtitles off the net for the Portuguese parts), but it will be showing in US theatres in July.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Everybody should watch Senna (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1424432/), a documentary about the F1 driver, Ayrton Senna. I've seen very few more moving films. Unfortunately, at the moment, you'd have to import the DVD from Japan (and fetch subtitles off the net for the Portuguese parts), but it will be showing in US theatres in July.

I was just thinking about this after watching the previous F1 documentary posted in the thread. If you want a touching preview, you can try and get hold of the Top Gear episode that has this at the end. Lewis Hamilton gets to drive Senna's old car, and the way he reacts like a giddy little boy is just heartwarming.

I didn't know much about Senna before that, but what I saw from that episode was enough to make me crave this documentary.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rJH9XVIQA Here we go!

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 5, 2011

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Pond Hockey

Fellow SAS poster Chicken Doodle made me rember this gem, and with the playoffs looming this is a great documentary to watch. It is well done and non-hockey fans will enjoy it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/118204/pond-hockey

The pond. This is where hockey was born—under the open sky—where the ice is gritty and so is the play. For generations, Northlanders have grown up on outdoor ice. But, there are new climate- controlled arenas in every town, and that’s where the kids go to practice year-round now. The frozen ponds are losing their inhabitants. In Pond Hockey, director Tommy Haines and his Minnesota crew chronicle the changing culture of hockey. Through interviews from Wayne Gretzky, Neal Broten, and Sidney Crosby to local rinkrats, Pond Hockey examines the true meaning of sport. More than just a celebration of a beloved game, Pond Hockey asks: is there room for the free spirit of the pond in today’s sports experience, or will the open sky and howling winds give way to whistles and metal ceilings?

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

If anyone is into professional wrestling, check out The Rise and Fall of the WCW on Netflix streaming. I'd forgotten how awesome the WCW was back in the mid-90s, the sheer nostalgia alone makes this worth seeing. I have so many fond memories of all the stars back then, and the rivalries were amazing. Plus I'd totally forgotten about the Diamond Dallas Page/Karl Malone vs Hollywood Hogan/Dennis Rodman match.

Also, Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows is another great documentary with some really interesting information on the inner workings and politics of professional wrestling.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
BURN

An amazing looking documentary about a Ladder Company on Detroit's East Side that hasn't been released yet due to lack of funds. It's a pity because film looks pretty drat good based on the trailer.

http://vimeo.com/20654186

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

Echoing Grand Prix - The Killer Years. Wow. I watch F1 and I can't imagine it being like that today. The final scene was heartbreaking and profound beyond words.

The ending was terribly abrupt though and as we know, real changes didn't actually come until after Senna died in 94.

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Local Group Bus posted:

This documentary is incredibly sad. The scene where his friend walks up to him at the evangelical church and just stands there is cringe-worthy. I understand the psychology behind it but it's still distressing to watch a family bounce from cult to cult.

The church that were trying to convert the Amish made me feel quite bad. These people are stuck between two very different ways of life and the lack of foresight and self actualization that the Amish foster really shows in the decisions being made.

The way they seem so hopeful about the future at the start is amazingly well done. It seemed to indicate that everything had opened up for them now that they had left only for it to turn out to be the same beast under a different name.

Before both of those documentaries I often thought that it would be really rather peaceful and calming living in an Amish community. These two documentaries really opened my eyes on that score. Highly recommended.

The saddest part for me was just watching that guy talk about how losing his daughter was God's will. You can tell the poor sod isn't all there to begin with, and then he's been subjected to this kind of mental abuse on top of all that. I nearly cried.

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh

shotgunbadger posted:

I know, misogyny!

I'm not sure what magnets have to with misogyny. Ho ho ho.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

robotsinmyhead posted:

Logic, common sense, feelings of basic human dignity, and appeals to emotion have all seemed to fail, so...

I was once discussing with a friend how you could ever possibly hit on the older Brunette Phelps daughter. Where would you meet her other than a church or protesting GIs? So really, you have to be committed to hit on her. You're either going to be photographed as a protester to dead GIs or you gotta hit on her in front of her family. I doubt she does anything else other than that. You also can't take her to a restaurant or a bowling alley because they likely ban all Phelps from entering.

I don't care who your wingman is, it's the toughest pick up ever. The cost of even a rejection could be your entire reputation.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

My jaw hit the floor when one of the Phelps family mentioned they planned to move to Jerusalem and pass their message on to the Jewish people. I wonder what their life expectancies would be over there...

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

POMAH posted:

More importantly, skip the first 12 minutes of this film as it is comprised entirely of pretentious imagery that, as far as I can tell, has no actual value in it.

I remember a former roommate mentioning this film so I was interested in seeing it. I tried, I really tried, but, honestly, by the time the actual documentary section started I was bored to tears and couldn't care less. Im not a film critic by trade, but firmly believe whoever editted this thing should be tried for war crimes.

Seems the religion bit is completely made up too, check out

http://www.conspiracyscience.com/articles/zeitgeist/part-one/

Naggy2000
May 7, 2005
Skimmed the thread for these but didnt find them:

- Waiting for Superman
How the american education system... doesnt work:

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKTfaro96dg
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1566648/

- The Shock Doctrine
How to get your way by introducing a "shock" into a society, examples ranging from 9/11 to military coups in Argentina.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCQj-z86qUo
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355640/

- Inside job
Won an Oscar (must have been posted, just didnt find it...). How the big banks started the crisis and are now benefiting from it.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DRm5ES-uA
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645089/

- High on Crack Street
HBO America Undercover with Dickie Eklund, as recreated in 'The Fighter'
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_p8zMM7dVM

Watch it, then watch "The Fighter" and see how close Christian Bale actually potraits Dickie Eklund.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.

This was really interesting in a lot of ways, thanks :)

Although I have to say, I never knew that fundamentalists took such a strong stance on mold

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

mr. nazi posted:

I watched a documentary the other day called Alone in the Wilderness: it was about a man named Dick Proenekke and he, at age 51, built his own cabin in the alaskan wilderness at the Twin Lakes in Alaska and filmed it with a tripod mounted camera. I'm not sure who the narrator is, but it's very well narrated using the words of Mr. Proenneke's daily journals during what turned out to be a 35 year stay out there in his hand-built cabin.

This is a youtube link to the guy that made the documentary by putting together the footage and narration in a way that explains itself quite well. The whole thing was an hour long, this link is only 9 minutes of it.

Very feel-good watch just 1 minute of it and you'll get the sense of the entire documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
Does anyone know of some more in this style? I was disappointed when it ended.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

TemporalParadox posted:

I looked high and low for more of the same after seeing this (the full-length film; not the 10m YouTube excerpt) a few years ago and had no luck whatsoever. I think the charm of this one lies in the man simply putting a camera on a tripod and going about his business. Modern stuff is all about some berk going 'X-Treme Survival - Totally Dangerous' over some lovely suspense soundtrack.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Lone Rogue posted:

I was once discussing with a friend how you could ever possibly hit on the older Brunette Phelps daughter. Where would you meet her other than a church or protesting GIs? So really, you have to be committed to hit on her. You're either going to be photographed as a protester to dead GIs or you gotta hit on her in front of her family. I doubt she does anything else other than that. You also can't take her to a restaurant or a bowling alley because they likely ban all Phelps from entering.

I don't care who your wingman is, it's the toughest pick up ever. The cost of even a rejection could be your entire reputation.
They all have full time jobs as a requirement I believe so there is at least one more avenue.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

TemporalParadox posted:

Not sure there will be anything as comprehensive as the Proenekke film again, bit here is another one I enjoyed. The link it to a site that has megavideo as the player but you should be able to find it elsewhere.

http://documentarystorm.com/around-the-world/alone-in-the-wild/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet

I thought Louis was really trying hard to get some more juice out of these people, but it just doesn't work out as well as the first time he met them. They're so litigious in their speech and behavior toward outsiders that even an experienced guy like Theroux can't mine them for much more.

And the one point about this cult that I don't think I've seen any interviewer or documentarian bring up is that all the crazy and horrific poo poo they say is actually in the Bible and mainstream Christians held pretty much the same view as them for centuries. I don't personally know anybody more outraged about the Phelps' than my staunchest Christian friends and I have to think it's because they're just embarrassed about the old-fashioned dark side of their own religion being brought back out in the open.