Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Petit.Conan posted:

I think mostly everyone gets the whole "shut up, get in the box, do your time" thing. BUT the guys who don't get that, will never ever, ever get it.

We where playing in our championship game Saturday, we are down 4-2 but we just scored those last two goals in 2 minutes and we have 6 minutes left in the third.

We're in there end looking for number 3, and one of our best players is getting shoved a bit in front of the net when no ones around. So he pushes back a bit and the D man takes a dive. Our player gets nailed for it. Now he wants to argue it, and worse off he argues that it was retaliation (You never get off for saying "he did it first!") and ignores the ref when he says "get in the box or your getting another 2 for unsportsmanlike!"

So yeah that totally killed our momentum. Use your loving head, that shits stupid enough in regular season.
I play in a league that is called "Never Ever." Inevitably, we end up playing against at least a few teams filled with guys who have been playing for a long time. Some of them together. Why you'd want to put together a team to dominate a league meant for people who can't skate, I'll never understand...

Anyways, this one guy we're playing against is pretty good. Skates well enough that he probably shouldn't be in the league. I'm playing D on the PK, and I get caught and he's off to the races behind me. I manage to catch him and tie up his stick a little. At about the hash marks, he decides he's going to try and cut across the crease. gently caress if I'm going to let that happen.

It's a no-check league, but no league is non-contact, and this guy doesn't belong in the league anyways. So, I get up on his shoulder and do my best to just push him to the outside. He's pushing to the inside, so we go flying into the net. Guy's a hothead, so he's been a bit pissed all game, but this really puts him over the edge. He gives me a stick check in the chest and starts swearing at me. I tell him "tough, that's hockey." and I skate to set up for the faceoff.

Dude is still pissed. As soon as the puck drops, he does something stupid (not sure what) and gets sent to the box. PK turns into a 4-on-4. He argues for a good 45 seconds. It's running clock and his penalty hasn't been put on the clock yet, so he's killing penalty for us. He ends up getting so pissed that he insults the ref in a rather nasty way, gets a game misconduct for that and then keeps arguing so long they give him another one.

tl;dr: player on the other team gets a minor, two game misconducts and argues enough that he ends up killing 45 seconds of PK time for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
When I started playing hockey again after 10 years away I signed up in a league like that. What really surprised me actually was that it was the scrappiest of the two leagues I'm play in (the 2nd league is people like me, aged 25-40, played hockey growing up but not AA or AAA or anything).

And I'll never understand why but they seem to attract these guys who want to dangle around the whole team, rarely loving pass and totally freak out when someone plays the body on them like you did.

Actually I think the one guy on our team won the scoring title with 32 goals 2 assists and he would bitch and moan if you put him on defence and he couldn't skate backwards. And every team had one or two of them.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

coldwind posted:

He ends up getting so pissed that he insults the ref in a rather nasty way

He called him a cocksucker, didn't he? Umps Refs hate being called cocksuckers.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Cheezymadman posted:

He called him a cocksucker, didn't he? Umps Refs hate being called cocksuckers.
They also hate being called faggots.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

coldwind posted:

They also hate being called faggots.

... and getting squirted by a water bottle when they skate by.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sometimes I wish I were a ref so I could give players poo poo.

Asshat Player: I can't BELIEVE you loving missed that trip?!?! Are you blind???
Me: I can't believe you missed that tape-to-tape pass :smug:

Want to play with an eagle-eyed ref with impenetrable skin? Then try out for the Blackhawks.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 5, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I got called for a stupid penalty after I was driving into the boards from behind with no call..

On my way to the box I yelled at the ref "If you're going to call loving bullshit calls, you might as all well the penalties that actually loving happen" and earned myself another penalty :smug:

Someone put it this way to me: In the lower leagues and especially the late games you get the worst refs so I learned to keep my mouth shut.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

poser posted:

I got called for a stupid penalty after I was driving into the boards from behind with no call..

On my way to the box I yelled at the ref "If you're going to call loving bullshit calls, you might as all well the penalties that actually loving happen" and earned myself another penalty :smug:

Someone put it this way to me: In the lower leagues and especially the late games you get the worst refs so I learned to keep my mouth shut.
I've always felt that being a bit more cordial about it would be a better way of getting calls. I figured a ref would be more likely to give me a call later on if I hadn't just chewed him out, but I guess I don't really know. I don't take a lot of penalties and I don't draw a lot either.

I think personally, if I was a ref and a player just got done yelling at me, I'd be watching him close to call the next mistake he made. But maybe I'm just vindictive like that. I obviously wouldn't be a very good ref.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

coldwind posted:

I've always felt that being a bit more cordial about it would be a better way of getting calls. I figured a ref would be more likely to give me a call later on if I hadn't just chewed him out, but I guess I don't really know. I don't take a lot of penalties and I don't draw a lot either.

I think personally, if I was a ref and a player just got done yelling at me, I'd be watching him close to call the next mistake he made. But maybe I'm just vindictive like that. I obviously wouldn't be a very good ref.

Refs pretend they dont but they remember people and hold grudges. Now I give/flip the puck to the ref when I can and remember to thank them after the game.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

poser posted:

Refs pretend they dont but they remember people and hold grudges. Now I give/flip the puck to the ref when I can and remember to thank them after the game.
I bet most refs remember people, but the good ones don't hold grudges. Maybe. I mean, I think that's one of the things that separates the good refs from the Stephane Augers.

I always try to be nice to the refs. I usually try to tell them to have a good game and chit-chat a little bit during warm-ups sometimes.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

this.

Refs talk and they will give teams a reputation, especially the worse the ref. If I get a call against me that I think is utter bullshit (happens a lot in C/D league) I ask them what they saw and how, if at all, i might change my tactics in the future to still play hard but not get the call. "Oh, ok cool. So from where you were, it looked like I hooked him? No worries. Now, is it OK if I play the body a little bit or can I play his stick?"

It honestly doesn't change my play much, but it let's me know where the ref's head is at, and it gets him on my side.

Give respect. Get respect.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

this.

Refs talk and they will give teams a reputation, especially the worse the ref. If I get a call against me that I think is utter bullshit (happens a lot in C/D league) I ask them what they saw and how, if at all, i might change my tactics in the future to still play hard but not get the call. "Oh, ok cool. So from where you were, it looked like I hooked him? No worries. Now, is it OK if I play the body a little bit or can I play his stick?"

It honestly doesn't change my play much, but it let's me know where the ref's head is at, and it gets him on my side.

Give respect. Get respect.

Basically this (note I'm not a hockey ref, but this is pretty general among all sports). poo poo on the ref, they'll poo poo on you back twice as hard with a :smug: expression. Be nice to them and they'll be nice back ... or at least not poo poo on you as hard.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Some of the best advice I got about questioning a ref's call was about catching a baseball game, but it applies to hockey as well. You don't ask where the pitch missed right after you caught it; you wait until the end of the inning or between batters. If you wait between periods to ask, the ref will be a lot less defensive and you'll probably be less of an rear end in a top hat.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How about just relax and try to have fun instead of getting worked up over a bad call in a beer league game?

Failing that, use that anger as motivation when you get out of the box instead of flipping out as you go to the box and getting more penalties / on the bad side of the ref.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
gently caress yes, just won our semi-final game 2-0, completely shut down the second best team in the league.

Division final game on Friday and if we win that we go to the Canada-wide tournament.

I had to change my Thursday flight back to LA to Saturday so I could play, not missing that.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Vigilance posted:

How about just relax and try to have fun instead of getting worked up over a bad call in a beer league game?

Failing that, use that anger as motivation when you get out of the box instead of flipping out as you go to the box and getting more penalties / on the bad side of the ref.
I think the conversation has diverged from flipping out on the ref to politely asking what he felt you did wrong.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Dangerllama posted:

Want to play with an eagle-eyed ref with impenetrable skin? Then try out for the Blackhawks.

This. A thousand times...this.

Referees at your EEEEE or DD or even C league games are guys that love hockey and probably play in another league themselves. It's not a bad gig to get paid to skate for 3-4 hours, 3x a week. I don't know anyone that decides to be a hockey referee without first being a player and loving the game.

Every player sees the game from their own perspective. The main difference is you have a desire to see the game unfold in your favor. The referee doesn't (well...shouldn't) give a rat's rear end about the outcome. What you see as a blatant trip in the offensive zone could, from another angle, be seen as a player hacking at the puck and hitting skates instead. You see the event as a disadvantage to your victory. The ref may see players of moderate skill make a mistake.

Be cool with the stripe and 99/100 they'll be cool with you, as long as your teammates don't make that impossible.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Had our first inline semi finals game last night against a team we havent beat in the two seasons since they joined the league. We go up 3-0 within the first 3 minutes and the game gets called due to the court being too wet with 12 min left in the 1st. I guess the refs decided to not check the court before we started, it was only bad behind the nets, where we didnt even end up at during those few minutes. After the game I talk to the ref to confirm that the game is going to be picked up where it left off at. He starts telling me that its going to be restarted since the court was wet and it was unfair to play on it.

Now the great thing is I emailed the league manager at like noon since we were going to get about 1" of rain and the court usually gets wet along the boards. So of course, none of them went and checked it by 9:30 game time, or even called the people for the next game telling them not to come after cancelling our game. So now I have to go through the fun of finding a rule sheet and talking to the managers about it, since im positive it says suspended games are to be resumed where left off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our team always likes to joke with the refs. If we get caught offsides by 20 feet, we'll joke with him and say that was a bullshit call. It's usually good for a laugh from them.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Our team always likes to joke with the refs. If we get caught offsides by 20 feet, we'll joke with him and say that was a bullshit call. It's usually good for a laugh from them.

They're extremely forgiving of beginners in the league i play in. 1 penalty called in my first game and pretty much only because my team was down a goal with not much time left and we had a 2 on 1 until our guy got tripped from behind.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

When the other team scores I mention that I'm pretty sure I saw a distinct kicking motion. That it might have been a top-shelf wrister from 10 feet out is beside the point.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

This is the best, and can take care of the hecklers in no time. I reffed in a floor hockey league, and while I was playing one of the ends watching the goal crease the goalie was relentless. "Aren't you supposed to catch those high sticks?" "Aren't you supposed to catch those offsides?" "If you're gonna ref, do you're job!" "If you're gonna ref, make calls!"

His team lost momentum and the game started being played in their end, and he started getting hot headed. Yelling at his teammates, shouting at the refs, you name it. One of the other team's wings gets a wide open rebound off the boards and casually tosses it in on his short glove side.

"Aren't you supposed to catch those?"

He snapped his goal stick in two and went yelling to the main ref, subsequently getting himself kicked out of a family rec league for the bellowing onslaught of vulgarity and destroying their property. His team had a 4-1 lead before that goal and it was already the third period so I don't know why he had to go and do that, but they took a pretty brutal loss. It was unethical, but I really don't care. Dude should've kept his cool.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
bewbies, in you league(s) is there a group of guys or a team from Tinker AFB? I ask because they had a roller team years ago and I ended up on it somehow at the age of 14. They were awesome guys to play with, even if they always used up my inhaler betwen shifts to counteract their smoking in between periods. Apparently it is common in the AF during PT (INSERT AF PT JOKE HERE). I assume you are in the military also, Army?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
This kid emailed me about joining my team and he graduated high school in 2008. Getting old sucks:smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

This kid emailed me about joining my team and he graduated high school in 2008. Getting old sucks:smith:

What makes me feel old is how many professional hockey players are playing today that weren't alive when Gretzky was part of the Oilers.

For a significant chunk of my youth, Gretzky was the guy every kid wanted to be and now there's people winning Stanley Cups who didn't even exist in 1988. :psyduck:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I took a puck deflection off the crossbar in the face tonight, thanks full cage!

Thufir fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 8, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

What makes me feel old is how many professional hockey players are playing today that weren't alive when Gretzky was part of the Oilers.

For a significant chunk of my youth, Gretzky was the guy every kid wanted to be and now there's people winning Stanley Cups who didn't even exist in 1988. :psyduck:

the top 2 draft picks last year were born in 1991. I AM OLDER THAN THEM WTF

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

WouldDesk posted:

bewbies, in you league(s) is there a group of guys or a team from Tinker AFB? I ask because they had a roller team years ago and I ended up on it somehow at the age of 14. They were awesome guys to play with, even if they always used up my inhaler betwen shifts to counteract their smoking in between periods. Apparently it is common in the AF during PT (INSERT AF PT JOKE HERE). I assume you are in the military also, Army?

I think there are a couple of Tinker teams, one is the Canadian Air Force (the Nordiques, we play them in D1 but they aren't playing this summer), one is the Tinker Hawks or something and they play in a lower division. The CAF guys are awesome, a bunch of them played major juniors and/or college in Canada and wound up joining the military after their hockey dreams fizzled. Thankfully they don't pass much and like to try and go end to end singlehandedly otherwise we'd have gotten killed by them. I am not in the military, though I used to be.

Also I think Gaborik was the first guy to play in the NHL who was younger than me (he's a month younger) and I remember thinking at that point that my pro hockey dreams were probably over (if they weren't DOA of course). It was sad. :(

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 8, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My brother in law is a year older than I am and plays in the AHL/NHL and is considered a veteran in the AHL. He is 28. A lot of careers start to taper off around 30, mostly the guys who don't make enough of a name for themselves in the NHL and don't feel like destroying their bodies for a little bit of money in the AHL when they can use their connections/education (lol) to make more with less injury. It is still a little weird to see someone so close to me basically living out my childhood dream.

Playing pro is super taxing on players though aside from just the physicality/injury aspect. Constantly moving and traveling, being away from home and your family. If you are an AHL player its even harder because not only are you moving to the AHL city for the season, but you have a high likely hood of getting traded or called up. My sister/bro in law have moved from grand rapids, portland maine, syracuse NY, Chicago, and rochester NY. Every august/september he goes to camp, they move to the city that hes playing in that season. When he gets called up, she stays in the AHL city while he is up. In april/may they move back to their house in Michigan and relax all summer. So much traveling and moving. Most times they dont come home for christmas or thanksgiving because the league only gives them a day or two off at most.

Then again, I cant imagine signing a big contract. I would travel every day for a year and allow people to hit me all day long for that kind of money, just tell me where to sign.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 8, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Breaking in new skates is awful :cry:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

well at least bake em first!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Mine have been ok, I was getting some irritation on the top of my right foot that was getting painful by the end of the night Tuesday. But I hope you did get them baked. Mine felt really painful before they were baked.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Wear them around the house for a couple hours per day while you watch TV.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
So I got this email from a free agent I picked up:

Jared, you're cool no worries, and your email was perfect for me. FYI I've managed adult teams a few times so can help you through this, no worries.

My advicee to you:

The first hurdle is to get around 15 players (3 forward lines and 3 rear pairs) - that'll make for covering the ridiculous high team fees and if a few don't show up once in a while , more playing time for those who do. Too many more than that (15 skaters) and people will start to complain about ice time and too many less than that you'll get beat by teams who do have a full roster, especially if several of your/our players aren't all conditioned reasaonably well.

And do you have a decent goalie yet? Gotta have a gaolie who is decent and will show up routinely, otherwise that'll make for a lovely season. Nothing sucks more than showing up to a game and not having a goalie (and then having to forfeit the game and not get to play a regular competitive game.

Anyway, I'm available for you, call me any time on my cell at 408 644-6636 and I'm excited about playing and if you need any help kind of coaching the team, getting eveyone on the same page with respect to taking shorter than longer shifts and going full speed while out on the ice as well as putting players at their least vulnerable positions, let me know, I'll be happy to assist...Not so much like to coach, but you need to take command so that during games players will do what you ask them/play where you want them to etc...I had teams where players would switch where I put them for a game to play with their buds, and honestly as a team every player needs to play with which ever lineup makes the team most potent. Mostly don't like to lose bad because not prepared or people on the team aren't playing with and for and as a team. Anyway, take care my man and I'm looking forward to meeting you in person.

Also, I assure you, I will be a solid contributor-not a weak link on this team, but be careful about picking just anyone up of the free agent list, there's some dweebs who suck and keep trying to play at levels way higher than they should be at and you get a few of them on your/our team and it can be a nightmare (had that happen and we lost a lot of games bad because just too many weak players...). If you want to send me a roster list (how many players did you get from the free agent list?) I'll check it to make sure none of them hooked up on your/our team for you....Still not to late to advise them sorry, don't have enough spots. I know that sounds mean but I know some of these characters and the teams that have been in these leagues for a while will all avoid them like the plague and you/we should to. I can also have you read names off the free agent liist (whic I don'ty have access to and vice versa may recognize players who are decent...

:smith:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

poser posted:

:smith:

This guy sounds like the guy you dont want on your team.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Holy poo poo. Charge him a buck a word and the rest of your team skates free.

I think you should email him back saying, "Oh poo poo. Sorry. Don't have enough spots."

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 9, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

So I got this email from a free agent I picked up:

Jared, you're cool no worries, and your email was perfect for me. FYI I've managed adult teams a few times so can help you through this, no worries.

I wonder why he's on the free agent list now. ;)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Topoisomerase posted:

I wonder why he's on the free agent list now. ;)

Yeah this sucks everyone else I grabbed seems cool as hell. Hopefully he quits before we starts or hate the team and quits during the season.

I'm going to email him and say we are a laid back team and if thats no what he wants maybe he should reconsider.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Anyone know if Reebok outlet stores sell hockey stuff? I just noticed there's one near me. Seems pretty unlikely in Tennessee.

At my skills clinic this morning a goalie showed up late so I didn't see him without his gear on. I was thinking "man, this guy is giving up a ton of softies" then he took his mask off and he must have been like, 65 or something. Good for him, I'll be happy if I can still skate in my 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Surfing Turtle posted:

well at least bake em first!

Definitely baked em! They're still stiff after setting though. Power skating class should be fun today.