Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
wait, Juggalos like Del? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I know it might hurt your head but I got my first copy of Masters of the Universe from a Juggalo. They listen to everything.

Edit: But they still stupid.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 4, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Teepkick Shakur posted:

I totally forgot about that. What happened there?

From what I've read in interviews, pretty much Doom was procrastinating and Ghost just moved on.

HatchetDown posted:

He mentioned the whole fake Doom thing and how he's pretty sure that that's all that he was doing, coming out with an album every time he wanted to make some cash and just stays with his family. Afterward Doom's excuse for having another guy do his shows was that Doom is techinically a character and Del was like "C'mon man you can't just say that poo poo after the fact"
I'll wanna check the interview, seems interesting. And I could buy that about Doom, but I can't see him having made that much. Like, it seems likely he would've milked it a bit more, especially since he did end up releasing an album after his hiatus or w/e. And I'm pretty sure he's genuinely touring now (a couple months ago heard about one of my friends friends being at the show, and it was the real Doom, and this was overseas). Just seems really weird dude let his own buzz die.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Aggro posted:

What else should I pick up by him? Wiki lists a few digital albums and four mixtapes -- how many of those are worth grabbing?

Mood Muzik 1/2/3/4, Escape Route, Halfway House.

I'd start with the Mood Muzik mixtapes, so many classics on them.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

alansmithee posted:

a couple months ago heard about one of my friends friends being at the show, and it was the real Doom, and this was overseas.

think about it. the overseas people get the real doom because the promoters are probably making sure he has the right identification to get overseas (passports, etc.)
and all that really needs is one city. once you got one city, well then you might as well keep touring overseas.

but, when he is on the mainland, he has more access to more resources and last minute people to change things up.
like, how many MF DOOM lookalikes live in Norway?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

So does anyone know why most, if not all, of Odd Future's album covers feature white people on the art?

Also: What are some of the terms being used to describe these kind of rappers?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

John Brown posted:

So does anyone know why most, if not all, of Odd Future's album covers feature white people on the art?

Also: What are some of the terms being used to describe these kind of rappers?

I don't think it is any super kind of subliminal thing. I think grainy photographs of white people, children, etc. just gives the desired aesthetic effect.
(could be wrong.)

as far as labels, they reject them. some people say "horrorcore" but they hate that and I do too honestly.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I don't think it is any super kind of subliminal thing. I think grainy photographs of white people, children, etc. just gives the desired aesthetic effect.
(could be wrong.)

as far as labels, they reject them. some people say "horrorcore" but they hate that and I do too honestly.

Horrorcore doesn't really fit, especially when you look at stuff like Mellowhype and Mike G. IMO leave the labeling for white people music, rap don't need that poo poo. There's only two labels for rap music afaik: good and southern.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

John Brown posted:

I think they think they're funny.

alansmithee posted:

Horrorcore doesn't really fit, especially when you look at stuff like Mellowhype and Mike G. IMO leave the labeling for white people music, rap don't need that poo poo. There's only two labels for rap music afaik: good and southern.
Are you a real person

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

alansmithee posted:

There's only two labels for rap music afaik: good and southern.

You don't like Jeezy, you ain't no friend of mine.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

alansmithee posted:

Yeah that is pretty much what I was trying to say. Except for that last bit. Now you're just being inflammatory but I'll just say that you are wrong.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Aggro posted:

What else should I pick up by him? Wiki lists a few digital albums and four mixtapes -- how many of those are worth grabbing?
Everything is worth grabbing aside from Halfway House which is easily his weakest effort. Don't sleep on his debut album though. A lot of people get wrapped up in the Mood Muzik series and the Slaughterhouse stuff, but his debut is very good.

"10 Minutes" is hardly ever brought up when discussing Joe but it's one of his better songs. It also displays his voice before the cigarettes completely hosed him up.

powerful drum sound
Mar 18, 2009
Also when you're done with those delete all of it from your hard drive and listen to T-Shirts and Buddens.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

powerful drum sound posted:

Also when you're done with those delete all of it from your hard drive and listen to T-Shirts and Buddens.

drat... gotta agree with "powerful drum sound"

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
First time I've ever heard that. Powerful poo poo.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

powerful drum sound posted:

Oh my God. This just changed what I thought about Lil B, let alone my life. Best diss I've heard since Jadakiss's "Checkmate".

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Mac Lethal put out his new mixtape North Korean BBQ here: http://maclethal.bandcamp.com

I don't know if anyone's interested. Mac's hit and miss for me, but this is mostly a miss. I prefer his older stuff and his guest spots myself. Ever since his stint with Rhymesayers I've not been impressed by him.

Also, Blueprint's album is out today and its really good. I've been a fan of the guy for a long time and I think this is the best I've heard him.

Noah 23 came out with his new album last week, but if anyone listens to that kind of stuff, they might dig it. It's called Fry Cook On Venus.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
The best part about Joe Budden is hearing other rappers tear him apart on diss tracks. Saigon's will always be my favorite

There's usually one day every three months I'll listen to Budden, and the lyrics are pretty nice, and then the next day I can't stand him because of that loving monotone voice

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

alansmithee posted:

From what I've read in interviews, pretty much Doom was procrastinating and Ghost just moved on.

I'll wanna check the interview, seems interesting.

That sounds like it would be the case. Unfortunately my conversation about Doom was just in the car, though he does mention briefly that he's trying to work with him in the interview as well as the slight possibility of working with Dangermouse.

Has anyone caught any of those G4 Freestyle101 spots?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

Fudge for Hands posted:

Take Project Pat for a great example, a literal flow virtuoso who might not be sharing physics equations or life lessons with everyone in his verses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY9jrMB1X-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65OQ_HTriXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tq7R1mnSDw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30-C0EA728s

Man i love Project Pat, he's just gangsta as gently caress. Can anyone recommend me any other artists like him?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

WDIIA posted:

There's usually one day every three months I'll listen to Budden, and the lyrics are pretty nice, and then the next day I can't stand him because of that loving monotone voice

loving cosign. Everybody says "oh Buddens is nice," and I'm like "you must be tweeked out of your goard how the gently caress can you stay awake when that mumblin' motherfucker is on the mic!?"

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

LooKMaN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65OQ_HTriXw

Man i love Project Pat, he's just gangsta as gently caress. Can anyone recommend me any other artists like him?

I was an idiot drug dealer in high school and this CD, especially that song was my loving bible.

As far as other stuff, old 3-6 and HCP is a treasure trove of awesome forgotten music. I'd get into that first -

HCP - Who Run It (This whole CD was dope)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxLaO2Ku-Ts
Project Pat - Blunt to My Lips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIW2H-wgC54
Three Six - 3-6 in the Mornin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x206j2WuJmc

Seriously though if you get the first 5 Triple Six albums they're great. They're still good, but they were just so dirty - most of their songs pretty dark and more about getting hosed up and murdering people and Satan. Growing up in TN this poo poo got so much play, I've seen them like 4 times in small clubs in tiny towns and they're cool as poo poo too.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Robert Analog posted:

HCP - Who Run It (This whole CD was dope)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxLaO2Ku-Ts

that album owns

i never heard mystic stylez until the other week and gently caress its raw

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Anyone know the beat in the Thesaurus vs Justice battle in Scribble 05?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzcXSYJUHC8

edit: Whoops, right in the comments. My bad. Still a great battle so listen to it if you haven't before

tbp fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 5, 2011

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
This is going to be a long shot, but does anyone remember back when Fab first came out, doing the freestyles back when NY rappers were basically going hard as gently caress on mixtapes? He did a few joints with another dude called Coke Kane (he was on the WWIII freestyle), and I'm looking for one where that kid said "your money like my goddaughter at Six Flags... a little too short to get on the big rides" and if I'm not wrong, on the same joint he went "I stay showing niggas things they never seen / Jordans from next spring... ya brain, ya spleen".

No idea what beat that was on or who else (if anyone) was sharing the track with him, but I've been digging through all my old Clue tapes and poo poo, can't find it.

Anyone know?

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

farmtrill posted:

that album owns

i never heard mystic stylez until the other week and gently caress its raw

When I first heard "Fuckin Wit Dis Click" I was like drat. Their older poo poo is raw too like come with me to Hell Pt 1 and 2 (DJ Paul and Lord Infamous).

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Sarx posted:

Also, Blueprint's album is out today and its really good. I've been a fan of the guy for a long time and I think this is the best I've heard him.

ive always liked print and ever since his song on bk-one's album ive been checking for him. the stuff that rhymesayers posts on facebook was enough to get me interested in the album so thanks for mentioning that its out, ill check it out

also heres that song for yall busters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlxPOnnNRMs

im like drat fam.. u prolly right

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chade Johnson posted:

When I first heard "Fuckin Wit Dis Click" I was like drat. Their older poo poo is raw too like come with me to Hell Pt 1 and 2 (DJ Paul and Lord Infamous).

They touched a lot of styles over the years. I'd say the very best of their work is from mystic stylez to choices 1 but most known unknowns is bumpin too. If you like the raw underground poo poo my personal favorites are underground vol. 1 and 2 witch are collections of underground hits. When you go older than that it just sounds too underground/low quality for me but there are exceptions. One thing is for sure paul and juice are the masters of sampling. They not only have mastered the art of sampling music of all kinds but also the art of sampling themselves! thats something!

As for rappers similar to project pat, poo poo..... maybe Chrome? Talking of chrome, what the gently caress happened to him?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIYzPbOJE5Y

By the way, I watched choices 1 and 2 (the movies) the other day for the first time and holy gently caress are those movies awful lol but in a good way. Kinda like baller blockin but not as completely loving ridiculous.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

They touched a lot of styles over the years. I'd say the very best of their work is from mystic stylez to choices 1 but most known unknowns is bumpin too. If you like the raw underground poo poo my personal favorites are underground vol. 1 and 2 witch are collections of underground hits. When you go older than that it just sounds too underground/low quality for me but there are exceptions. One thing is for sure paul and juice are the masters of sampling. They not only have mastered the art of sampling music of all kinds but also the art of sampling themselves! thats something!

As for rappers similar to project pat, poo poo..... maybe Chrome? Talking of chrome, what the gently caress happened to him?

By the way, I watched choices 1 and 2 (the movies) the other day for the first time and holy gently caress are those movies awful lol but in a good way. Kinda like baller blockin but not as completely loving ridiculous.

Chrome is just another one in the long line of former Prophet/HCP members that have been cast aside/quit over money.

I think if anyone sounds like Pat, it's Frayser Boy. Much like Chrome though he is no longer affiliated with the Hypnotize Camp.

Everyday Thang - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYfwBDf_lT4
Me Being Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzEWDw0Pmd0
Money Gettin' Mission - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYBNUT9ysQ

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

speaking of memphis raps...i've always liked this joint and thought it was underappreciated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58EKPUveviI
Blak Jak featuring Project Pat - Ride and Swerve
(Is that a Bun B sample in the hook?)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

caveman thug poo poo posted:

ive always liked print and ever since his song on bk-one's album ive been checking for him. the stuff that rhymesayers posts on facebook was enough to get me interested in the album so thanks for mentioning that its out, ill check it out

also heres that song for yall busters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlxPOnnNRMs

im like drat fam.. u prolly right

Don't know if you've checked for any of his other stuff, but I really enjoyed the Greenhouse Effect album he put out a few years back. I've liked him for awhile, but I gotta say his voice takes some getting used to (hated the first Soul Position EP). Also his production I've always liked a lot too, although I don't think he's done much for people outside his camp.

And thanks for the heads up about the album coming out, I knew it was supposed to have been out in March but must've got pushed back.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Joe Budden is "dope with the wordplay" as they say and overall a good rapper.. but Lil B's diss just shows how the strength of not taking yourself so seriously can really gently caress people up.

edit: as a small sidenote I remember when Relapse came out and I believe the consensus here was it was not very good. I remember I said that I think it is a classic. I just wanna say I stand by that opinion in terms of modern albums.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 6, 2011

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

edit: as a small sidenote I remember when Relapse came out and I believe the consensus here was it was not very good. I remember I said that I think it is a classic. I just wanna say I stand by that opinion in terms of modern albums.

While I defend the subjectivity of art, this is an example of an opinion being wrong. Relapse is not only not a classic, but it is Eminem's worst album hands down.

To label it classic, in fact, cheapens the term classic.

Compare it to the new Kanye, which while I think is a good album, I wouldn't call classic, but I have heard many people label it as such. There's no way you can even say Relapse is in the same league as that album.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

the Choices movies are so goddamn bad but the soundtracks are so good. Slang N Serve is the joint

Also I gotta say that Underground Vol 3: Kings Of Memphis is my favorite bc of all the songs from what to me is the peak of Triple : Da Summa remix, M.E.M.P.H.I.S remix, Smokin on Da Dro, Powder (Higher Version), Wonabees, gently caress What U Heard, etc.

The best Project Pat album is still Ghetty Green but the ones he's done since getting out of prison have been pretty good too. Walkin Bank Roll was probably my favorite of those.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Sarx posted:

While I defend the subjectivity of art, this is an example of an opinion being wrong. Relapse is not only not a classic, but it is Eminem's worst album hands down.

To label it classic, in fact, cheapens the term classic.

I'm interested in your reasoning as to how this album is "hands down" worse than Recovery and Encore.

edit: The voice thing is not a good enough reason.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 6, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I'm interested in your reasoning as to how this album is "hands down" worse than Recovery and Encore.

Encore is still his worst album but Recovery and Relapse are pretty much garbage

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Okay, hands down may be a bit strong for Recovery because I think both albums are very close to each other because I think there's one listenable song on each of them. Relapse has Underground, which is awesome because the song is in 5/4 time which almost no other hip hop song is in, and the fact that Eminem rides that beat so flawlessly is very awesome. Recovery has "On Fire" which is an absolute banger with some of the best Eminem verses since the Eminem show. However, Recovery is full of insufferable boy band hooks while Relapse has Eminem trying to reclaim his "horrorcore" style from his first album, but it just comes off as ridiculous. Which is my main problem with both of the albums, they don't sound genuine. They sound artificial and overwrought.

That's the only thing that I think puts Encore above them to me. While Encore is full of the same "dad raps" as Recovery, where we see glimpses of a mature Eminem talking about his daughter and about trying to squash beef and prevent tragedy, it at least sounds kind of believable and genuine as where Recovery and Relapse sound fake and "try-hard".

Regardless of how you order those three albums, none of them are even close to classic. Think of other classic albums: ATLiens, Illmatic, Death Certificate, The Chronic, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, Midnight Marauders, etc. I don't believe you can put Relapse amongst company like that genuinely.

You can defend the album as something you enjoy, and that you really like, or even as a personal classic perhaps, but a classic is something defined by listeners at large.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Sarx posted:

Okay, hands down may be a bit strong for Recovery because I think both albums are very close to each other because I think there's one listenable song on each of them. Relapse has Underground, which is awesome because the song is in 5/4 time which almost no other hip hop song is in, and the fact that Eminem rides that beat so flawlessly is very awesome. Recovery has "On Fire" which is an absolute banger with some of the best Eminem verses since the Eminem show. However, Recovery is full of insufferable boy band hooks while Relapse has Eminem trying to reclaim his "horrorcore" style from his first album, but it just comes off as ridiculous. Which is my main problem with both of the albums, they don't sound genuine. They sound artificial and overwrought.

That's the only thing that I think puts Encore above them to me. While Encore is full of the same "dad raps" as Recovery, where we see glimpses of a mature Eminem talking about his daughter and about trying to squash beef and prevent tragedy, it at least sounds kind of believable and genuine as where Recovery and Relapse sound fake and "try-hard".

Regardless of how you order those three albums, none of them are even close to classic. Think of other classic albums: ATLiens, Illmatic, Death Certificate, The Chronic, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, Midnight Marauders, etc. I don't believe you can put Relapse amongst company like that genuinely.

You can defend the album as something you enjoy, and that you really like, or even as a personal classic perhaps, but a classic is something defined by listeners at large.

Okay I definitely see a lil more of your point now, at least you aren't one of those "OMG THE VOICE" people. I mean obviously ATLiens and those are on another level, but I feel like they are also entrenched in a different era of expectation and music.

Recovery definitely has Eminem unnecessarily stepping into that trying-to-be-catchy bullshit poppy production, which is overall a less honest place for Em to try and be but I think he basically succeeded although the product is just not dope in the face of, or in the same way as, what he used to be capable of.

Relapse I guess you could say he is trying to be too murderous but the rhyme schemes and atmosphere (something Recovery entirely lacks) make it have more replayability. Early in his career, the "crazyness" of his music did feel more natural. In Relapse it is artificial but in a creative "artistic" way. It's like stepping into a crazy carnival of serial killing and just rhymes on top of rhymes. Definitely reeks of artificiality but in a good way in my opinion.

I mean Same Song and Dance, Stay Wide Awake, Must Be The Ganja, those are all just really cool songs. I would say go back and listen but you probably are pretty cemented in your opinion.

But yeah, I'm thinking maybe they are more personal classics than anything but as far as mainstream rap at least it has a lot of hardcore rapping.

tl;dr I'm a Relapse fanboy.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Okay I definitely see a lil more of your point now, at least you aren't one of those "OMG THE VOICE" people. I mean obviously ATLiens and those are on another level, but I feel like they are also entrenched in a different era of expectation and music.

Recovery definitely has Eminem unnecessarily stepping into that trying-to-be-catchy bullshit poppy production, which is overall a less honest place for Em to try and be but I think he basically succeeded although the product is just not dope in the face of, or in the same way as, what he used to be capable of.

Relapse I guess you could say he is trying to be too murderous but the rhyme schemes and atmosphere (something Recovery entirely lacks) make it have more replayability. Early in his career, the "crazyness" of his music did feel more natural. In Relapse it is artificial but in a creative "artistic" way. It's like stepping into a crazy carnival of serial killing and just rhymes on top of rhymes. Definitely reeks of artificiality but in a good way in my opinion.

I mean Same Song and Dance, Stay Wide Awake, Must Be The Ganja, those are all just really cool songs. I would say go back and listen but you probably are pretty cemented in your opinion.

But yeah, I'm thinking maybe they are more personal classics than anything but as far as mainstream rap at least it has a lot of hardcore rapping.

tl;dr I'm a Relapse fanboy.

I still listen to some Relapse joints every once in awhile. I'm not a fan, but I know the songs well enough that I am pretty firm in my opinion. I didn't just listen once and throw it in the trash because I really wanted to like the album. Eminem's first few records are great to me, and I want him to make more good music.

I think its even easier to see that the last three records aren't classic, because we're talking about an artist with two definitive classic records in his catalog. I'm pretty sure either The Marshall Mathers LP or The Slim Shady LP is in most rap fans top 10 ever lists.

I just think classic is often thrown around but its the kind of thing that isn't declared by one single person.

For instance, to me personally here are some classics: Hope by The Non Prophets, The Cold Vein, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, Shadows On The Sun. I don't know that they are definitively classics though because they are not largely agreed upon, so I don't declare them classic unless I add something like "personal" or "arguably" to the equation.

But I'm going to stop now that this has basically turned into a diatribe on the importance of adjectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
how I feel about Relapse/Recovery era Eminem, for the most part: "you're too old, let go, it's over" - Marshall Mathers, 2002

• Locked thread