Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
Came home to a package o' vinyl on the porch. Abysmal Grief and L'Impero delle Ombre. Should be a good evening. Been lovin' me some Italian metal as of late.

Abysmal Grief:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILbW204sJE

L'Impero delle Ombre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-StmI9N-58

Also, is there a grindcore thread somewhere or is it alright to post that stuff in the generic metal thread?

Ghost of Orbo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

midge posted:

I picked up High on Fire's DISC after hearing it the store. Give me more of this poo poo please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODikJAtgc8

You might like Lair of the Minotaur.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

cheap sunglasses posted:

You might like Lair of the Minotaur.

This. And obviously more High on Fire as well.

Has anyone mentioned Pig Destroyer's Natasha EP? Heard it for the first time yesterday and it wasn't what I had expected. I suppose most of their work is grindcore, but Natasha is a single 30+ minute track, rather sludgy.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Idioteque Dance posted:

So anyone going to Kyuss tomorrow (Manchester)? I've been hearing good things about the tour so far.
Yep! I'm loving pumped! :D

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HMorg posted:

Has anyone mentioned Pig Destroyer's Natasha EP? Heard it for the first time yesterday and it wasn't what I had expected. I suppose most of their work is grindcore, but Natasha is a single 30+ minute track, rather sludgy.

Yeah I have it and it's good. They should do more that kind of stuff, especially with Kat (kinda) in tow.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Idioteque Dance posted:

So anyone going to Kyuss tomorrow (Manchester)? I've been hearing good things about the tour so far.

Hell yes, seeing them tonight and can't wait. Been spinning desert rock and getting high all week in preparation.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Hell yes, seeing them tonight and can't wait. Been spinning desert rock and getting high all week in preparation.
Yeah, I've been on Kyuss-only musical diet for days. I didn't realise my speakers went this loud and my bass went this low...

Also Kyuss songs seem to sound better on Youtube than iTunes. I think they're fuzzier and somehow the bass is muddier as well. It's kind of awesome.

Nelson Mandela fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 5, 2011

Cobra Sandwich
Mar 7, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

I saw them last night in Glasgow and they were awesome! They played everything I wanted to hear and the guitarist dude (Bruno I think his name is) did a cracking job handling the missing Homme's role.

Was great to finally see John Garcia perform this stuff live, hope you get as good a show as we got last night

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is it cool if I post some really old Sleep bootlegs?
These are from like twenty years go.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Cobra Sandwich posted:

Was great to finally see John Garcia perform this stuff live, hope you get as good a show as we got last night

I remember being really really impressed by him when I saw him with Hermano in 2007. He basically sounded exactly like he did in the studio, his voice was just as raw and powerful like he was really going for it the whole time. I was really impressed by them live in general.

I'm off to see them in Bristol tomorrow so it's going to be Kyuss all the way for the 3 hour train ride.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't answer your question because I don't know the rules pertaining to old rear end bootlegs, but I recently got these, and gently caress me if they aren't awesome. In particular, I love the Live at the Limelight NYC '94 version of "Dopesmoker". Starts off with him going "This is a new one, it's not on our album, called "Dopesmoker"" then CRUSHING RIFFFFFFFFFFF.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Diseased Yak posted:

I can't answer your question because I don't know the rules pertaining to old rear end bootlegs, but I recently got these, and gently caress me if they aren't awesome. In particular, I love the Live at the Limelight NYC '94 version of "Dopesmoker". Starts off with him going "This is a new one, it's not on our album, called "Dopesmoker"" then CRUSHING RIFFFFFFFFFFF.

I rarely use my home desktop anymore but it has an absolutely sweet 5.1 surround set up going on. There was no one home when I was up this morning so I stuck on my Dopesmoker CD for the first time on the PC and cranked it to 11.
:drat:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Nice. I had one more spin of dopesmoker on the train journey to Manchester.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yes

Also Kyuss ruled.

el rodeooooo

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Idioteque Dance posted:

Also Kyuss ruled.

el rodeooooo
Oh gently caress yes. Kyuss just wrecked my ears and goddamn was it awesome!

Homme is an rear end in a top hat - the band can bring it with or without him and if he wants nothing more to do with it then, well, whatever buddy. I'm incredibly happy to have seen even 3/4 of these musicians playing their songs together and the 'filler' guitarist did a loving awesome job anyway.

Hell, my deadbeat friend bailed on me at the last minute so I was there on my own (I resisted the temptation to embarrassingly shout "GOOOOOONS!" and see who responded...). Despite that it was still ridiculously awesome and certainly one of the best gigs I've been to.

Also, great setlist. Although it's not like they could have chosen a bad song even if they picked them at random...

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Not sure if they've been mentioned this thread, but there's an SF band Orchid,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6WjgYrom8&feature=related

I saw them open up for Earthless a few years ago. Great vintage tones. Obvious comparisons in look and sound to Black Sabbath, of course.

I just started going through this new thread and was happy that The Deep Blue got mentioned early on, I love that Antarctic Abyss song.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleep - Live at Gilman St. Berkeley, CA 11-09-91
Sleep - Live at Berkeley CA 02-21-92
Sleep - Live at Gilman St. Berkeley, CA 10-17-92
Sleep - Live at Limelight NYC 1-30-94

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Glad I found this thread, gonna try to catch up on it soon.

I've recently started listening to bands like Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, Down, Baroness, High on Fire, etc. and I have to say I'm a little disappointed in myself for not discovering this sub-genre of metal earlier. I can't stop listening to Electric Wizard and Orange Goblin and I feel like I owe it to them to buy a t shirt and rep them a little. Does anyone know where I can get an Electric Wizard or Orange Goblin tshirt for under :20bux:?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

midge posted:

I picked up High on Fire's DISC after hearing it the store. Give me more of this poo poo please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODikJAtgc8

This is kind of old, but I'd really recommend Black Cobra and Indian.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Cool stuff I found in other threads:

Black Hole- miscategorized as doom, but definitely doomY in parts, with lots of prog, giallo, and 80s cheese added. Not especially heavy, but neither are Avrigus or Ras Algethi(and I dig both of those bands). It's eerie, atmospheric, and interesting as hell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdetKFuJjA

Kronlarvo- I am told these guys are from Japan, but I can't find any info on them. They have 3 videos on YouTube. Nothing new here, just some decent, if unoriginal, doom. They do, however sing entirely in Esperanto, and I've been amusing myself by translating their lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIa9h1KxJcE&playnext=1&list=PL20E400CB751EC679

edit: spelling

Leopold N. Loeb fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 7, 2011

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Treebeh posted:

Glad I found this thread, gonna try to catch up on it soon.

I've recently started listening to bands like Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, Down, Baroness, High on Fire, etc. and I have to say I'm a little disappointed in myself for not discovering this sub-genre of metal earlier. I can't stop listening to Electric Wizard and Orange Goblin and I feel like I owe it to them to buy a t shirt and rep them a little. Does anyone know where I can get an Electric Wizard or Orange Goblin tshirt for under :20bux:?

Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
'Nother band I'd nearly forgotten about. Was reorganizing my music after a fresh OS install and found some free albums they recorded years and years ago. I guess they're signed now? Anyways, here's some doom recorded in a Lovecraftian (duh) miasma.

Brown Jenkins - Ashes of Angled Things

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

Still mad I missed Kyuss Lives!(tm) but at least I'll see the Josh side of things with them playing the whole s/t album.

Saw Quest for Fire, Naam and the Atomic Bitchwax yesterday.
QFF were good, but only played 4 songs and called it a day which was hugely disappointing to me. At least until Naam came on stage who proceeded to completely blow me away, they're incredible live.
TAB were great, they played the whole Side A of their upcoming 52 minute riffs-only album the Local Fuzz which was a whole lot of fun to watch.

Psychedelius fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 7, 2011

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I apologize if this has been posted already, but I recently discovered Salt Lake City's SubRosa - a female dominated stoneydoomsludge band with creepy violins. They are loving amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsjP2F5jDQ

Enjoy :)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ghost of Orbo posted:

'Nother band I'd nearly forgotten about. Was reorganizing my music after a fresh OS install and found some free albums they recorded years and years ago. I guess they're signed now? Anyways, here's some doom recorded in a Lovecraftian (duh) miasma.

Brown Jenkins - Ashes of Angled Things

This is black metal

CoffeeInjection
Feb 27, 2011

by angerbeet
So, anybody heard about Dragonauta? Argentinian band, recently discovered them and been finding me really hooked. Nice mix of groove and heavy riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1dzVFARBIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LuhhjLdUew&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrXjqnQrG74

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

This is black metal

Depends how finnicky you wanna get with your genres. That was a bad example, but there's definite elements of doom in there. Then again, the tempo is reminiscent of most other 3rd wave USBM acts (Xasthur et al.)

Off to the correct thread.

I still think there's plenty of doom in his work, though.

Ghost of Orbo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 7, 2011

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
Does anyone own/has listened to Causa Sui's Summer Sessions?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Depends how finnicky you wanna get with your genres. That was a bad example, but there's definite elements of doom in there. Then again, the tempo is reminiscent of most other 3rd wave USBM acts (Xasthur et al.)

Well this thread was made for three pretty specific subgenres. I mean I don't wanna get too nitpicky about stuff but man lately it's been way too off the track. Brown Jenkins, and I like them, is pretty much straight up mid tempo black metal.

Eh, I guess im just a nitpicky fucker but just saying.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There isn't really much doom-black metal. I guess that maybe Dragged into Sunlight, but they're not really all that doomy either.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrBling posted:

There isn't really much doom-black metal. I guess that maybe Dragged into Sunlight, but they're not really all that doomy either.

There's a bunch of bands that have taken influences from either but no not enough to make up a distint style.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

MrBling posted:

I'd say Austrasian Goat fits into black-doom. Kind of like if Thergothon went black metal and got all suicidal on us.

Ghost of Orbo fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 8, 2011

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

MrBling posted:

Early Bethlehem, like "Dark Metal" and "S.U.I.Z.I.D.", as well as pretty much anything by Shining is what I'd consider classic "black-doom". So dark and brooding.

Wolves in the Throneroom and Krallice are definitely more black metal than anything, but there's some really neat elements of doom and ambient stuff worked into their songs, including some really neat, dark overtones, so totally worth a mention.

edit:

Ghost of Orbo posted:

I'd say Autrasian Goat fits into black-doom. Kind of like if Thergothon went black metal and got all suicidal on us.
poo poo, that rules.

And, just to stay on topic, this is good doom: Earthworm - Grief

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 7, 2011

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dyna Soar posted:

There's a bunch of bands that have taken influences from either but no not enough to make up a distint style.

Exactly, it's not like death-doom where they basically just said "right, this is what this sounds like forever and ever" and left it there.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Holy poo poo Kyuss Lives was loving excellent. I'm constantly amazed at how John Garcia can sing like that for so many years and not start to lose it.

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.
Hey stonergoons, popping into your thread after seeing the Swedish bluesy stoner group Graveyard live for the first time. Their poo poo crazy show blew me totally away and made me forget that I was almost sober the whole night.

I recall they got some attention in the last thread, but I recommend checking out their second album Hisingen blues that just came out here in the EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGBa8dVm6k

Winston Chill fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 7, 2011

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Thalamus posted:

Does anyone own/has listened to Causa Sui's Summer Sessions?

I listened to Summer Sessions 1 this week while walking home from school and really enjoyed it. I'd have probably given the band a stronger listen if I hadn't then discovered why everyone is praising Eve so much. Because drat. That is one heck of an album.

Can't watch uTubs at work but "Swedish bluesy stoner group" makes me think of Kamchatka and you'd better believe I'm going to look into anything that makes me think of Kamchatka. They're maybe right on the edge of the thread, but not out of place here. They've got a new one coming out next month, looking forward to that.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 8, 2011

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Velocirocktor posted:

Kamchatka. They're maybe right on the edge of the thread, but not out of place here. They've got a new one coming out next month, looking forward to that.

Now I'm listening! Kamchatka are a fantastic band! I didn't realize they had new material out soon.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Winston Chill posted:

Hey stonergoons, popping into your thread after seeing the Swedish bluesy stoner group Graveyard live for the first time. Their poo poo crazy show blew me totally away and made me forget that I was almost sober the whole night.

I recall they got some attention in the last thread, but I recommend checking out their second album Hisingen blues that just came out here in the EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGBa8dVm6k

If you like them, you'll probably also dig Wolfmother, The Vines, and Jet.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

cheap sunglasses posted:

If you like them, you'll probably also dig Wolfmother, The Vines, and Jet.

Woh.

I spend months and months not listening to anything by Moss, and then it re-appears to me on shuffle and I get a bit obsessed for like a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
TBH, I like their recent output more than the wall o' doom sound like on Cthonic Rites.

Tomb of the Blind Drugged was outstanding. Olly's the one who rec'd Black Hole to me on another forum. That man is a walking, talking encyclopedia of all things horror and doom.