Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New M5 "Concept" leaks after a private dealer viewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's with BMW and all the dents/lines/distortions in the bodywork lately? Yuck. Are they still using the V10?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

It's a V8, funnily enough, there's rumors that the US is going to get a manual version of the M5. Still, I think the E39 M5 is the best looking fiver out there.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not the target market, but I still don't like it.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Because if you remove the BMW logos and kidney grills, it becomes bland. Observe:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

awesome-express posted:

It's a V8, funnily enough, there's rumors that the US is going to get a manual version of the M5. Still, I think the E39 M5 is the best looking fiver out there.

Agreed, although I like this one better than the current generation.

eames
May 9, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Because if you remove the BMW logos and kidney grills, it becomes bland. Observe:

wow, that image really is quite the eye opener. I definitely wouldn’t have identified that as the new M5, ever.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

awesome-express posted:

Holy poo poo. Having seen the original and scrolling down to this I still thought it was an Avalon at first.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

awesome-express posted:

gently caress it's like the fedex arrow.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Making it two pipes instead of four and you definitely have the new lexus rump.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Christobevii3 posted:

Making it two pipes instead of four and you definitely have the new lexus rump.

With half the resale value and twice the operating costs :iceburn:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Photoshop a Toyota badge onto the back of an E39 M5 and you'd get the same result

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

awesome-express posted:

The rear of the last-gen Mercedes E-class always reminded me of a Crown Victoria. Mind you both cars were aimed at the age-advantaged demographic.

zakiu
Oct 21, 2001

dissss posted:

Photoshop a Toyota badge onto the back of an E39 M5 and you'd get the same result
No kidding. Original photoshopper displayed his ignorance of subject matter by using a Toyota logo and not a Lexus logo. Toyota badge only works because Lexus has been doing similar things with reflectors in bumpers, however it is nothing new to the 5-series, either.

Car is clearly a BMW based on its design language. Signature tails, trunk lid, rear bumper, rear reflectors, trunk to bumper connection. Makes you wonder what he's expecting to see that makes it a "BMW" lol!

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

zakiu posted:

No kidding. Original photoshopper displayed his ignorance of subject matter by using a Toyota logo and not a Lexus logo. Toyota badge only works because Lexus has been doing similar things with reflectors in bumpers, however it is nothing new to the 5-series, either.

Car is clearly a BMW based on its design language. Signature tails, trunk lid, rear bumper, rear reflectors, trunk to bumper connection. Makes you wonder what he's expecting to see that makes it a "BMW" lol!

:jerkbag:

A refined and non-bulbous design, not something that can be applied to every major car maker. But obviously only your opinion is correct and whoever thinks differently is doing it, as you put it, for the "lol".

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 4, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

zakiu posted:

Dunno, I also disagree. The design language is pretty indistinct compared to other modern BMWs. The most distinctive part is still the RWD proportioning, but in terms of actual detailing and styling, it's pretty generic. In part, this is because of the inevitable erosion of design novelty as novel design features propagate amongst designers. This is particularly true for "prestige" makes like BMW that make conventional cars (i.e. not low-slung sports cars) strongly associated with sportiness and luxury, since they inevitably spawn a certain degree of ape-ery. And in part, this is because the increasingly baroque and undulating curvatures stuck onto flat panels in BMW's designs are coincidentally becoming more and more similar to the current Toyota styling language and Hyundai's "Fluidic Sculpture" stuff. Look, in particular, to the rather pointless frowny forehead bumps on the hood of this concept. Also there's the really, really big swoopy character line with lined up door handles on the side that starts at the fender vent (a new and, for me, already hated design cliche) as opposed to the relatively Germanic cleanliness of the last 5 Series' sides. Of course the show lighting in that picture unpleasantly emphasizes it, but honestly that thing makes me think "New Ford Taurus" not "ooh swoop line that goes slightly up make car look fast".

I think BMW realizes this as well, and they've always had to deal with this by continually updating their designs. However, I personally am not a fan of the new round of CS concept inspired designs. The enlarged kidney grille, for instance, was an attempt to try and play up the distinctive brand element. But by changing its proportions to be wider and more square, they've basically destroyed the visual distinctiveness and made it look at once clumsy and more generic (since it is now the same width as every other automaker's upper grille opening). Comparatively, look at the subtle shape of the previous 5's kidney grilles - they flare slightly at the center, etc. Looks good while still being recognizable, and flows with the curvature of the leading edge of the hood.

The taillights in particular are a serious step down. Before, they had a distinctive open arched profile that echoed shapes in the front end, etc. Now they look like the tails in the old Toyota Avalon or maybe an Infiniti. And they're oddly angular. I think people are mainly reacting to that, plus the elimination of the white eyelines on the lights. The headlights, on the other hand, have various pointless kinks and curves on the profile and are significantly smaller even though the grille and front end generally has grown in size. I mean I understand why they went to the two piece tail lights so they could have a wider trunk opening, but the way it's executed is just terribly generic. The old 5 series' one piece taillights were pretty distinctive and had a very clean profile/outline. The new one is unnecessarily busy on an already busy rear end.

Greenhouse profile? Typical germanic arch. Rear quarter and trunk? Again, the distinctive features - short overhangs, high blended trunk lid - have already all been copied to death. I mean there is still the general "low and wide" styling to distinguish the 5 as a BMW, but these proportions are harder to see in a photograph, particularly one taken from slightly unusual viewing angles.

I mean the 5 series has never been that distinctive, but the ugly bulging front end (with particularly ugly "aggressive M" ducts) and bland rear (with similarly unimpressive fake diffuser) and ugly detailing really don't do much for me. The previous 5 series looked far more coherent. Look at the front from an angle, for instance. Super bulbous. The grille sticks out for no reason, the ducts on the M body kit all stick out (hypothetically you could justify this part with aero function if it serves one), and the profile as a whole is really lumpy instead of being smooth like on the prevoius m5.

Old m5:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 4, 2011

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

awesome-express posted:

:jerkbag:

A refined and non-bulbous design, not something that can be applied to every major car maker. But obviously only your opinion is correct and whoever thinks differently is doing it, as you put it, for the "lol".

Photoshop out the quad pipes and tell me that's not an Avalon.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

That's what I was implying. :)

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

awesome-express posted:

You could do this with any high volume car on the road today, so it's not a BMW specific thing - if this was implied, I'm not sure. People like us should be able to identify the little design elements that Toyota would deem needlessly expensive, but BMW and Mercedes do it anyway. All the little bumps, curves, groves, and other details that bring up manufacturing costs are left off of the Toyotas. An Avalon is at best a blurry 5-series, but to the less astute observer (most people) they probably look exactly the same sans-badge.

If you ever get behind the new 5-series at night, you'll see that the amount of effort put into the tail light design alone is astonishing. If you can't appreciate that, that's fine, but it doesn't mean it isn't there. Move up to the actual ultra luxury/exotic cars and it's that same story.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hey man, I'm just expressing my own opinion here. I agree that BMWs still have their iconic lights which are easily distinguishable at night, it's just, the new fiver doesn't scream BMW to me. Both the e39 and e60 have something special about them. The new fiver though, I don't know, I just find it weird. I saw a couple riding around town with DRLs and they looked impressive, the rear though, did not leave me impressed. New Bimmers just look bloated and bulbous. Just sayin'

Here's a Lexus version:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A lot of the time, when you see an advert for something (say, insurance, or breakdown cover), they obscure the grille and emblems on the cars to avoid identifying any particular brand - sometimes it makes the cars so drat generic they're almost impossible to work out, particularly if it's a model you're not specifically aware of.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That's the "we tried to make the carmaker give us money for the publicity but were not successful" look. It's also often used to mask Apple laptops in various shows/ads.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

el topo posted:

That's the "we tried to make the carmaker give us money for the publicity but were not successful" look. It's also often used to mask Apple laptops in various shows/ads.
I think it's more the "We decided showing [BRAND] breaking down would land us in a heap of poo poo" look.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

awesome-express posted:

That's what I was implying. :)

My bad. Meant to quote the person you quoted.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

InitialDave posted:

I think it's more the "We decided showing [BRAND] breaking down would land us in a heap of poo poo" look.

The logos are Trademarked and you can't show them without clearance. In most cases nobody will care, but it's not worth the risk.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

awesome-express posted:

I was sort of skimming the thread backwards and when I realized what you did my heart sank a little. I didn't give it a second glance as a Lexus.

zakiu
Oct 21, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

The taillights in particular are a serious step down. Before, they had a distinctive open arched profile that echoed shapes in the front end, etc. Now they look like the tails in the old Toyota Avalon or maybe an Infiniti. And they're oddly angular. I think people are mainly reacting to that, plus the elimination of the white eyelines on the lights. The headlights, on the other hand, have various pointless kinks and curves on the profile and are significantly smaller even though the grille and front end generally has grown in size. I mean I understand why they went to the two piece tail lights so they could have a wider trunk opening, but the way it's executed is just terribly generic. The old 5 series' one piece taillights were pretty distinctive and had a very clean profile/outline. The new one is unnecessarily busy on an already busy rear end.

I mean the 5 series has never been that distinctive, but the ugly bulging front end (with particularly ugly "aggressive M" ducts) and bland rear (with similarly unimpressive fake diffuser) and ugly detailing really don't do much for me. The previous 5 series looked far more coherent. Look at the front from an angle, for instance. Super bulbous. The grille sticks out for no reason, the ducts on the M body kit all stick out (hypothetically you could justify this part with aero function if it serves one), and the profile as a whole is really lumpy instead of being smooth like on the prevoius m5.

Old m5:

Tail light design has progressed past overall shape and color heirarchy into the actual illumination design. People are reacting to the overall generic shape of the tails without actually understanding how the tails look when the car is on. The rear lights are similar to an older avalon, but the reality of it is when you look at the new 6 and the new 7, it's a specific design element that crosses products. If you tell me the tails do NOT look like an evolution of the updated 3 series, or farther back, the e46 tails, I'm going to just tell you that you're on crack. They're really awesome tails when they're lit at night and are very distinct.

People are also reacting to the fact that it is a 5 series. The 5 series has never been, nor has it ever tried to be, a styling experiment. It is, at it's core, a practical medium sized sedan. The M5 is, and always has been, a bit of a subtle sleeper car. It's always been a conservatively styled car. I'm shocked that people are expecting otherwise.

The shoulder line you don't like? Look back 2 generations. It's on the E39 and it extends back to the trunk on that car. A lot of these design elements have been copied, but you don't change your style simply because other people are copying you.

The grills are ugly as poo poo. BMW screwed up when they moved the kidneys into the bumper instead of integrating them into the hood. I've never liked them, since. In fact, the direction they've been going with the whole front end of their cars hasn't been great. I preferred when they were more angular. They are consistent with the brand, though.

The nose and headlights look BMW. The kidneys leading into the hood bulge and the strong front brow are nothing new. They've been in effect since bumper regulations started requiring a higher nose. The headlights are an evolution of the E60, which I never felt were great looking in the first place.

I attribute most of it to the effect of a design change. People always hate it because it's new or different, and then by the end of the design cycle (especially with BMW), it was the "best looking [insert model here] ever!"

It's not just the new BMWs that look bulbous and bloated. Look at everything on the market. They're all getting fat and bloated.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

NOTinuyasha posted:

I was sort of skimming the thread backwards and when I realized what you did my heart sank a little. I didn't give it a second glance as a Lexus.

It doesn't look standout awesome, but I still like it. I think this car would be a step up from what current Toyota and Lexus models look like. Just because it looks similar in some respects doesn't mean it isn't still better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is the rear of an E39 M5 really that distinct? That rear straight-on view is one of the least differentiable viewing angles of a car, so it makes sense that it's tough to tell a priori what brand a car is.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
This discussion about BMW's rear ends is great and all, but the next 911 has been out for cold-weather testing, and I for one think it looks great.

(sorry about the table breakage, didn't realize the picture was that big)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zakiu
Oct 21, 2001
If I'm ever in charge of prototype camo, I'm going to put fake missile launchers and machine guns on the cars when they go out for testing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"Fake"?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I don't know why but for some reason it looks more like the Panamera than the last 911.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Let me guess, every body panel is different* from the last 911

*in subtle, unnoticeable ways unless you try to swap them

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Are you kidding me? This is the most substantial change since the 996.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
It's a fastback 911, basically. That's pretty huge, and I kind of dig it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The belt-line is higher and it has a longer wheelbase. That's really it--the shape has stayed the same.

That's kind of a weird angle, there are lots of shots of it where it just looks like a slightly longer 997. Something is up with the lights though, can't wait to see what.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I don't know why but for some reason it looks more like the Panamera than the last 911.
I see the Panamera too, it's in the higher hood (pedestrians! :argh:), makes it look like they could almost fit an engine up front.

el topo posted:

Are you kidding me? This is the most substantial change since the 996.
:psyduck:

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 5, 2011

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

zakiu posted:

Tail light design has progressed past overall shape and color heirarchy into the actual illumination design. People are reacting to the overall generic shape of the tails without actually understanding how the tails look when the car is on. The rear lights are similar to an older avalon, but the reality of it is when you look at the new 6 and the new 7, it's a specific design element that crosses products. If you tell me the tails do NOT look like an evolution of the updated 3 series, or farther back, the e46 tails, I'm going to just tell you that you're on crack. They're really awesome tails when they're lit at night and are very distinct.

People are also reacting to the fact that it is a 5 series. The 5 series has never been, nor has it ever tried to be, a styling experiment. It is, at it's core, a practical medium sized sedan. The M5 is, and always has been, a bit of a subtle sleeper car. It's always been a conservatively styled car. I'm shocked that people are expecting otherwise.

The shoulder line you don't like? Look back 2 generations. It's on the E39 and it extends back to the trunk on that car. A lot of these design elements have been copied, but you don't change your style simply because other people are copying you.

The grills are ugly as poo poo. BMW screwed up when they moved the kidneys into the bumper instead of integrating them into the hood. I've never liked them, since. In fact, the direction they've been going with the whole front end of their cars hasn't been great. I preferred when they were more angular. They are consistent with the brand, though.

The nose and headlights look BMW. The kidneys leading into the hood bulge and the strong front brow are nothing new. They've been in effect since bumper regulations started requiring a higher nose. The headlights are an evolution of the E60, which I never felt were great looking in the first place.

I attribute most of it to the effect of a design change. People always hate it because it's new or different, and then by the end of the design cycle (especially with BMW), it was the "best looking [insert model here] ever!"

It's not just the new BMWs that look bulbous and bloated. Look at everything on the market. They're all getting fat and bloated.
Dunno, the issue is not that these changes are somehow divorced from previous BMWs but in their execution. Although, looking in more photos, the character line doesn't look as bad as it does on those photos under show lighting and show paint. I think there might also be a bit of distortion in those photos.

Overall, they did a decent job in some respects. In particular, they managed to take a quite tall car and at least at times give impression that it is low and wide. Still, there's a difference between "conservatively styled" and just plain boring.

I'm still not totally sold on the taillights.

And, also, compare what we got to something like these fantasy predictions from some Swedish car mag that are more heavily influenced by the later E90 style

versus the actual 2012 5

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cream_Filling posted:

The BMW Jetta?..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

More news!

2012 Impreza