Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Wow, drat. Nice greenstuff work, buddy.

EDIT: for top page reference

LucasLAD posted:

Wrapped up the sculpting on Straken Kroot's coat. Added sleeves and started on the eye-patch which will be getting more detail.

Also began work on my second HQ, vanilla commander mainly used for the bs4 plasma squad he can bring as well as issuing orders for my guard blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Strakroot deserves a hat, too. A bigger hat. :colbert:

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...
Couple more orks...I really need to dig up my old light-box out of storage.

Mek

Ghazghkull Thraka (I need to go back and touch him up)

Space-Hulk

Chet AwesomeLaser fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 6, 2011

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I thought that was going to be a servokrootskull and was disappointed when I realized otherwise

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Got the head painted for my new HQ.

Excuse the terrible iPhone pic... was really hard to hold both my phone and the bit. I like how it turned out - did codex grey -> ghost grey (vallejo) -> dead white (vallejo).

I still suck miserably at lenses, thinking about breaking down and buying some new brushes if I ever decide to be good at eyes and the like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chet AwesomeLaser posted:

Space-Hulk

This is so wonderfully 2nd edition, right down to the weapon coloring.

LucasLAD
Feb 11, 2011

bhsman posted:

Strakroot deserves a hat, too. A bigger hat. :colbert:

I was thinking maybe a commisar style hat or even a bandana

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Couple more orks...I really need to dig up my old light-box out of storage.

Mek

Ghazghkull Thraka (I need to go back and touch him up)

Space-Hulk

Your technique is EXTREMELY clean. Could you help us out by kind of giving us your thought process on that? Is there a specific order you paint in? What is your general step by step process?

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

LucasLAD posted:

I was thinking maybe a commisar style hat or even a bandana

A Fez!

dexefiend posted:

Your technique is EXTREMELY clean. Could you help us out by kind of giving us your thought process on that? Is there a specific order you paint in? What is your general step by step process?

Thanks, Here is a quick breakdown of my Ork process. If you can call it that, mostly it's just me trying things out I read here and seeing what works for me.

1 I start with a base coat of Orkhide for skin and Mechrite for everything else (only because my main color is red)
2Then I paint the other area(leather bits, sluggas, choppas...etc)
3After that I thinly wash the skin with Thrakka Green and Devlin Mud on the red. Anything metal gets a light wash of Badab Black too.
4 Then I just start building up highlights with thinned paints. For the ork skin I mix the orkhide with knarloc green and then begin lightening that with scorpion green till I get the look i'm going for. I use the same process for armor and everything else.
5 Finally I edge the armor and add chipped paint/weathering and any other minor details like wires and checker patterns.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

dexefiend posted:

Clean painting is really one of those things that is pure skill, I don't think there is any trick to it at all.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Washout posted:

Clean painting is really one of those things that is pure skill, I don't think there is any trick to it at all.

you can brute force it too if you have the patience to touch up every single color after the basecoat to ensure no mistakes, but it takes forever so it isn't worth it in the long run

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

Just in case anyone was wondering.

This was the Crystal Brush winner from Adepticon. It was actually my favorite model upon first review of them, so I'm glad it won. Just a really solid paint job overall, everything was done really really well.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Acidix posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering.

This was the Crystal Brush winner from Adepticon. It was actually my favorite model upon first review of them, so I'm glad it won. Just a really solid paint job overall, everything was done really really well.

the sword in the squid

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
a model with visible nipples wins a CMON contest, what a surprise

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

a model with visible nipples wins a CMON contest, what a surprise

Painted by an attractive woman no less :pcgaming:

Her stuff is loving incredible though, she gets amazing blends and mega contrast, its a really cool style and she executes it perfectly.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Painted by an attractive woman no less :pcgaming:

Her stuff is loving incredible though, she gets amazing blends and mega contrast, its a really cool style and she executes it perfectly.
I liked JRN's entry more to be honest.

Here's something I have been loving with for a while. I think it needs some tweaks and purity seals and junk, but what do you guys think of my attempt to make a dread look a little less waddly, hit or miss:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

!amicable posted:

Here's something I have been loving with for a while. I think it needs some tweaks and purity seals and junk, but what do you guys think of my attempt to make a dread look a little less waddly, hit or miss:

It is less waddly, for sure, but a lot more wobbly. The waist and ankles, especially the ankles, look like they would just snap at any moment.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I think the height works for the ones with faces, it makes them look a little more humanoid. The one with the Sarcophagus is a miss though.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Snikrot

I really like the base on this one. Can you give some details on what went in to making it please?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I think the proportions of a dread torso make your goal impossible.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Washout posted:

I think the proportions of a dread torso make your goal impossible.

I considered lengthening the arms or at least unbending them. I also agree that the front plates with heads tend to look a lot better. I really like the DC front place a lot and will end up using that as the standard I think.

Simpo
May 1, 2008

!amicable posted:

the shoulder bits look too high when its stretched out imo.

Although it wouldn't be that easy to do in reality, I MS painted a better version:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Simpo posted:

Although it wouldn't be that easy to do in reality, I MS painted a better version:

I had the torso lower just like that and it looked too goofy; like a little kid almost. I think having the magna-grapple on the top makes the proportions work out best. I might just glue that thing on there for good.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

I really like the base on this one. Can you give some details on what went in to making it please?

It's basically just Sculpey plus a spare skull bit I had lying around, painted and flocked. I also used some stuff from Gale Force 9 that looks like fake moss and some seeds that looks like leaves (got that from my FLGS)

VVV Those are drat sexy

Chet AwesomeLaser fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 7, 2011

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
crosspoastin skornes, army shot of everything done so far

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Work in progress for some Grey knight warrior henchmen armed with boltguns. Pretty much was just aiming at them being table recognizable for WYSWYG. I have 30 of these done up at the moment. I like to think the cables to the guns are like the over the top future weapon systems we come up with today that integrate the sights on the guns into the helmet/heads up displays on the visors, but just seem to cumbersome to be viable in a combat situation :40k:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

!amicable posted:

Looks cool. But to help the ankles from looking to weak maybe you can get another one of the shin plates to cover those gubbins. I think I saw bitz sites selling them before or you can use something else.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PaintVagrant posted:

crosspoastin skornes, army shot of everything done so far

You dont get enough praise on here. Especially for your colour choices which are brilliant.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Simpo posted:

The Entombed Librarian, wearing his 6-inch-thick ceramite Jorts and robo flip-flops, prepares to head down to the beach and show those punk scouts that even in death, he still surfs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

!amicable posted:

I don't want to be dick, but with what you are trying to do here it seems like it would be better to just buy some dreadknights and replace the driver with a sarcophagus. Dreadnoughts deliberately have stocky, blocky proportions, and trying to stretch them out into more realistic shapes makes them look really weird. The way these are set up, they have more realistic proportions than actual Space Marines.

If you're determined to push ahead, you need to seriously bulk out the legs and torso. Dreadnoughts all have stupid spindly joins, but when you elongate them like this it makes it comical. You need to add a second 'shin' plate on the legs, probably some sort of knee, and then widen out the waist area to make the connection more proportioned to the rest of the body.

Edit: I know this is kind of stupid, but I'm looking at the dreadnought in the middle. Would he actually be able to use his power fist? He doesn't have knees or a waist, so I just imagine him swinging back and forther well over the heads of the Orks/etc that he's fighting, unable to bring his powerfist down to their level.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 7, 2011

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Bhyo posted:

You dont get enough praise on here. Especially for your colour choices which are brilliant.

Seconding this, those Skorne really do look amazing.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All I want out of Dreadnoughts are slightly longer and more moveable-looking close combat arms and some actual knees. I'm ok with them being blocky and all but they're a little too superdeformed. This is about the only way in which the Chaos Dreadnought is superior.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Bhyo posted:

It is his thread, after all. I think we've just complemented PV so much in the past that he no longer seeks our praise blowjobs any more. He's evolved far beyond the need for blowjobs.

Serious though, poo poo looks awesome.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Have some more pictures of stuff I've been painting:

Epic scale land raider. I just want to try some OSL on the lascannon coils, but otherwise it's done. I even weathered the tiny thing

I actually made a fancy base for this epic scale ornithopter. The craft itself is done, but the little comms facility on the base needs some highlights

Commissar and wounded dude, both fully based and flocked. The Commissar needs a few small touchups

Progress on the first BFG shark ship. Epic and BFG scale stuff take washes and drushbrushing well, but I've got a lot of little details I wanna pick out

Librarian made from the PAGK box. The tiny Inquisitor seal that hangs off his backpack broke, and I glued it to a 1:144 model tank I'm gonna paint up

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Good lord, you don't read the thread for a few weeks and you have a thousand posts to read. While I try to catch up, can someone show me where I could get nice replacement wings for Lich Lord Terminus?

Ugh look at them. They're so bad. His gimp hand is bad too, but at least I can replace that with a big angry warjack hand.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

There was a bits retailer selling dragon wings for a while. But all I can find now is ebay stuff. I wish I would have thought of replacing his throwing hand with a cool one. And a better sword arm, replace it too.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Just bought a Scythean for my Warmachine army, and it looks like this guy has a hollow body.

I'm afraid about just gluing those two pieces together. Do I need to invest in some green stuff and fill it up myself?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Just bought a Scythean for my Warmachine army, and it looks like this guy has a hollow body.

I'm afraid about just gluing those two pieces together. Do I need to invest in some green stuff and fill it up myself?

Just glue it together. Why would you need to fill the middle?

Brodin
Mar 30, 2011
Hey all, first time poster.

Flip posted up my chappy a while back but it got no replies, so I offer it for critique:

Looking for a bit of critique, I think I'm an alright painter, though by no means does the majority of my stuff look like this. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Brodin posted:

Hey all, first time poster.

Flip posted up my chappy a while back but it got no replies, so I offer it for critique:

Looking for a bit of critique, I think I'm an alright painter, though by no means does the majority of my stuff look like this. Thanks in advance.

Looks pretty damned nice. My only real suggestion might be to apply a light wash onto the skull helmet of a brown-ish color such as Devlan Mud to give it a more textured look. I might recommend going over the red portions of the crozius and storm bolter to ensure an even coat and maybe add a brighter highlight of a Blood Red at the very end of the edges to make it pop a little more.

Also--the obvious--please drill your barrels.

• Locked thread