Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Did any more info come out about this kid on the Underground or Sherdog or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

I love Grove because he was beating rear end in one of his fights, the round ended and I turned to my friends and said, "he is going to lose in the next round". They asked "what, why? that guy is kicking rear end" and I replied, "because he is Kendall Grove and Kendall Grove is an idiot".

He got TKOed in the next round and now my word on MMA is law. Thanks Spyda.

Was that the Munoz fight? That was an insane comeback.
Is there some sort of consensus on what A. The best fight is (not the most important, it's clear that it's Bonnar vs. Griffin) and B. the worst decision is? the Shogun/Machida decision was really high profile.
Also, what's Bonnar's deal? He's clearly skillful and durable, but he never seems to climb the rankings or have any really high profile fights. I'm just wondering if there's any reason for it.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 2, 2011

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've always felt that Miguel Torres vs Takeya Mizugaki was one of the most fun matches ever. Really awesome fight.

Machida vs Shogun was a high profile controversial decision, but it really wasn't an awful decision. A lot of those rounds could go either way.

Bonnar is really good at a couple of things, but it's not enough to propel him to the top of the division and he didn't improve the way Griffin did.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Haraksha posted:

I've always felt that Miguel Torres vs Takeya Mizugaki was one of the most fun matches ever. Really awesome fight.

Machida vs Shogun was a high profile controversial decision, but it really wasn't an awful decision. A lot of those rounds could go either way.

Bonnar is really good at a couple of things, but it's not enough to propel him to the top of the division and he didn't improve the way Griffin did.

I'll track that down if I can. I watched the 100 greatest fights recently, and while it was fun, it was disappointing how many were main events, title defences and so on. The undercard fights often showcase some insanely hungry fighters.

Yeah, I mostly figured it was a case of it being the biggest fight in the division in a while, and so everyone was watching, so it was more the highest profile decision than the worst.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

B. the worst decision is?

Darril Gholar vs Johil d'Oliveira

quote:

Also, what's Bonnar's deal? He's clearly skillful and durable, but he never seems to climb the rankings or have any really high profile fights. I'm just wondering if there's any reason for it.

Bonnar was actually on a pretty good run after the first Forrest fight, then Carlson Gracie died and he kind of went all to pieces for a while. He bounced around at a couple gyms during that time period but didn't improve a lot and it was a while before he really got himself back on track.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

To add on to what Fatherdog said, Bonnar likes to fight really recklessly, even when he's got his poo poo together he often just rushes in throwing punches, despite the fact he can box pretty well if he wants to. I almost think he likes getting punched in the face.

He generally doesn't like to go to the ground against guys where he's probably got an advantage over most if not everyone in the division. You can see when Schafer and Nickels pushed the issue of taking the fight to the ground Bonnar eventually decided just to beat the poo poo out of them there instead of trying to get back to the feet and playing rock em sock em robots.

He's really a lot like little nogueira skill wise, nice hands, good off his back, and they both have a great chin but Bonnar has worse wrestling and better cardio (and not really a lot of power in his punching). Anyway most guys can get Bonnar to trade with them wildly so his good boxing isn't in full effect, and his jiu jitsu isn't even usually seen. But he's so drat tough with such good cardio and capable of keeping up a high pace sometimes guys can't even exploit him that way. For instance, he was knocking down Jardine left and right while Jardine was trying to measure him for inside and outside leg kick/big right combos. Krystof S. was perfectly capable of brawling with Bonnar, and it seemed like his power was actually giving him an edge in the first fight, but Bonnar is just so loving gritty he was able to take it and blast sos. out.

bonnar owns

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really wish they had given Bonnar the Ortiz fight.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

To add on to what Fatherdog said, Bonnar likes to fight really recklessly, even when he's got his poo poo together he often just rushes in throwing punches, despite the fact he can box pretty well if he wants to. I almost think he likes getting punched in the face.

He generally doesn't like to go to the ground against guys where he's probably got an advantage over most if not everyone in the division. You can see when Schafer and Nickels pushed the issue of taking the fight to the ground Bonnar eventually decided just to beat the poo poo out of them there instead of trying to get back to the feet and playing rock em sock em robots.

He's really a lot like little nogueira skill wise, nice hands, good off his back, and they both have a great chin but Bonnar has worse wrestling and better cardio (and not really a lot of power in his punching). Anyway most guys can get Bonnar to trade with them wildly so his good boxing isn't in full effect, and his jiu jitsu isn't even usually seen. But he's so drat tough with such good cardio and capable of keeping up a high pace sometimes guys can't even exploit him that way. For instance, he was knocking down Jardine left and right while Jardine was trying to measure him for inside and outside leg kick/big right combos. Krystof S. was perfectly capable of brawling with Bonnar, and it seemed like his power was actually giving him an edge in the first fight, but Bonnar is just so loving gritty he was able to take it and blast sos. out.

bonnar owns

Also Bonnar doesn't seem to be very smart when fighting. He came out with a sideways kung-fu stance against mark coleman of all people, then tried to do a sidekick. He also did some stupid things against Jon Jones IIRC.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Bonnar loves spinning back kicks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks a bunch for all that. I caught both Krystof fights and I loved them (I like Krystof too) and I was just wondering if there was any particular reason he'd not climbed the way forrest did.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Flying-Chip posted:

Also Bonnar doesn't seem to be very smart when fighting.

yeah pretty much.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

Thanks a bunch for all that. I caught both Krystof fights and I loved them (I like Krystof too) and I was just wondering if there was any particular reason he'd not climbed the way forrest did.

a lot of it relates directly to him roiding out for their rematch

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Bundt Cake posted:

a lot of it relates directly to him roiding out for their rematch

please explain this

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Pwny_Xpress posted:

please explain this

Bonnar got popped for roids in the second Griffin fight, which kept him on the shelf for a year and caused him to lose a lot of the same UFC/SPIKE publicity gigs that Forrest had. Since then he's been positioned as much less of a star and has nowhere near the profile that Forrest has in general.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

http://o2trainer.gostorego.com/videos.html

so is this thing a gimmick or would it be worth getting?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

jeffersonlives posted:

Bonnar got popped for roids in the second Griffin fight, which kept him on the shelf for a year and caused him to lose a lot of the same UFC/SPIKE publicity gigs that Forrest had. Since then he's been positioned as much less of a star and has nowhere near the profile that Forrest has in general.

Forrest also improved a lot more, technically and physically. Probably because he had a fairly stable camp with great guys while Bonnar kind of bounced around Chicago, training everything piecemeal.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

What is the name of that MMA org that had 3 guys fighting at one time?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Calliper posted:

What is the name of that MMA org that had 3 guys fighting at one time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYXDY5dPhVI

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Can someone talk in depth about takedowns? Different types, how to tell a good one form a bad one, maybe some gifs of "here's a good one" vs. "here's a bad one".

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Grifter posted:

Can someone talk in depth about takedowns? Different types, how to tell a good one form a bad one, maybe some gifs of "here's a good one" vs. "here's a bad one".

Good ones: done by American wrestlers
Bad ones: done by the rest of the world, especially Europeans.

:smugdog:

I'm not knowledgeable enough about wrestling to contribute, but I wanted to be snide, so there.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

Good ones: done by American wrestlers
Bad ones: done by the rest of the world, especially Europeans.

:smugdog:

I'm not knowledgeable enough about wrestling to contribute, but I wanted to be snide, so there.

Most top Japanese fighters (at least in the past) had a wrestling background like Gomi and Sudo. But Japan isn't as strong a wrestling country as America.

It's just that most of the other strong wrestling countries don't really have an MMA scene, like Iran, Turkey, and Cuba. Then you have Korea, where the scene is just burgeoning but two of the top gyms there are wrestling-based, so maybe we'll see some decent Korean wrestling in the future.

What's weird is that Russia is actually the top wrestling country but I don't know of any Russian wrestler going into MMA. I guess it might be that MMA just isn't lucrative or prestigious enough there for it to be worth their time, while in the US wrestlers have no future outside of the Olympics or MMA.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I was gonna say Matyushenko but it turns out he's Belarussian.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Grifter posted:

I dont train or anything, but basically there are trips, throws, single legs, double legs, and slams which are basically just really cool looking double legs.

Trips and throws are common in BJJ and Judo but are difficult to execute in MMA because the lack of a gi to grab onto. Lyoto Machida has outstanding trips. Throws are less common but Jon Jones has a couple highlight reel worthy ones.

Single legs are basically just what it sounds like. You grab a leg and pull it out from under them or use it any way you can to drag them down. Phil Davis pulled off some nice ones recent in the main event of UFN. Historically Kazushi Sakuraba has pretty much the best single leg takedowns ever. GSP is pretty slick with them as well.

Double legs are basically where you really drive into you opponent and grab them around the thighs (i believe) and lift up/pull out while you use your body to push their torso down onto the mat. Mark Coleman and more recently Chael Sonnen and Rashad Evans execute these quite nicely. I believe proper technique here really requires you to get your hips in low so you have lots of explosive power.

As far as slams.... you pick them up real high and then throw them down. Rampage Jackson used to be really slammy back in his pride days, and Matt Hughes is pretty famous for just picking his opponent up and then running to wherever his corner was and slamming them there.

One of the most important things about wrestling in MMA is incorporating striking to set up your takedowns. UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie "The Answer" Edger is very good at this. But in the end any takedown that gets your opponent on the ground and you on top of them is "good". Hopefully you didnt eat a big knee or uppercut on the way in.

I apologize if i am mobn levels of incorrect here, but that is my understanding of them. Also, i am too lazy/dumb to post GIFs.

Pwny_Xpress fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 7, 2011

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You can slam a dude off a single leg too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zg4qPUOfd0#t=0m19s

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

shizen posted:

http://o2trainer.gostorego.com/videos.html
so is this thing a gimmick or would it be worth getting?

I'm sure it'd work, but it wouldn't be worth it. Especially not in the context of combat sports. You would get similar benefits and better habits by training and working out with your mouthguard on and breathing as you would in a fight. Running with a mouthguard on is painful :(

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Other than Saku and Barnett, are there any other big catch wrestling guys? Why aren't there more?

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

fawker posted:

Other than Saku and Barnett, are there any other big catch wrestling guys? Why aren't there more?

The Shamrocks both were catch i think. And i think its mostly cuz BJJ is more versatile.

Vegard
Mar 20, 2011

fawker posted:

Megumi, Minowa, Funaki, Cortxbomb.

As to why there aren't more, my guess is that it's not a real thing.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Double legs are basically where you really drive into you opponent and grab them around the thighs (i believe)

More behind the knees.

fawker posted:

Although he has a black belt in BJJ, Erik Paulson also does catch wrestling. During his seminars he refers to the moves and submissions by their catch wrestling names (chicken wing, etc.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pwny_Xpress posted:

The Shamrocks both were catch i think. And i think its mostly cuz BJJ is more versatile.

Frank started training cuz of Ken, and then got thrown in the deep end in Pancrase. So I guess one of the biggest influences on him is the early Japanese MMA style.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Will2Powa posted:

What's weird is that Russia is actually the top wrestling country but I don't know of any Russian wrestler going into MMA. I guess it might be that MMA just isn't lucrative or prestigious enough there for it to be worth their time, while in the US wrestlers have no future outside of the Olympics or MMA.

Valetudo.ru, posting at Bloodyelbow posted:

The real reasons why people like Buvaisar Saitiev are not going to MMA is because….they are MILLIONAIRES and very well set for the rest of their lifes.

Most of the Caucasian fighters (Satiev is being a Chechen), are sponsored by wealthy community. For example, if you take Buvaisar, he is driving a Bentley, he also has a few other expensive cars. For every gold medal that he won, he got a lots of money from government and especially from wealthy national community (in his case that would be Chechens).

The truth is, he is much better set with wrestling, than trying to make it in MMA, where the most he can make is a few thousand dollars.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The last TUF reminded me to ask a thing: How come when two equally weak/mediocre wrestlers fight and one has double underhooks against the cage we hardly ever see bear hug takedowns...Fitch pulls this off a lot and he's not an elite wrestler.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Do I even want to know where these Eastern European "sponsors" are getting enough money to set athletes up for life?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Pot posted:

The last TUF reminded me to ask a thing: How come when two equally weak/mediocre wrestlers fight and one has double underhooks against the cage we hardly ever see bear hug takedowns...Fitch pulls this off a lot and he's not an elite wrestler.

Fitch is a pretty drat good wrestler (in an MMA context) :confused:. As for not seeing the takedown, I'd chalk it up to two lovely wrestlers nullifying each others lovely wrestling. But I'd like to hear a technical explanation.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Paul Pot posted:

Because with a bearhug, you generally have to lower your body to lift the dude. This would leave your face open for a couple short elbows or your neck for a guillotine while the guy squats against the cage. The other option is a drop or a trip, and that can leave you out of position if you fail to end up top. Easier to just pin him against the cage and knee him in the leg or butt him with your shoulder or something.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Yeah, that was what I was guessing. A big part of the reasons for why these countries are so strong at wrestling is that the sport is such a revered and popular tradition there so I'm pretty sure they take care of those wrestlers good, to the extent that there aren't that many incentives to risk their reputations in a somewhat unfamiliar sport.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Buvaisar Saitiev sounds like a swell guy

wikipedia posted:

Saitiev placed ninth at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia after being upset by American Brandon Slay. Slay was eventually awarded the gold medal at 76 kg.

"I let this person take me down in the second round. I didn't even know who he was. I had to look him up in the Internet. I think he shouldn't have been in the Olympics at all, he was like a plane fly-by, he flew in, flew out, and he didn't have much to offer. Maybe they fed him something. He appeared, caused havoc and disappeared. Kind of like that Rulon Gardner, but Rulon at least fights there somewhere. That Slay guy disappeared for good. He's not even worth my thoughts. If somebody asks me a question about him only then do I remember, otherwise he doesn't exist for me."

– Buvaisar Saitiev, The Silent Gladiators[2]

AXE BODY SPRAY
Aug 16, 2000

colonel_korn posted:

Buvaisar Saitiev sounds like a swell guy

Wrestlers are wrestlers regardless of nationality

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

Paul Pot posted:

It takes a lot of strength to pull that off and land in the position you want to. Fitch is an expert at Laying On Dudes for entire fights, but mediocre wrestlers often land in bad positions that actually put them at a disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Vegard posted:

Megumi, Minowa, Funaki, Cortxbomb.

As to why there aren't more, my guess is that it's not a real thing.

shoot wrestling and by extension shooto is supposed to incorporate catch wrestling.